How do I sort for the maximum values in each year in excel?

How do I sort data so I can see (sort?) the maximum value for each year in
excel. I have 365 values per year and 78 years worth of data. I got excel to
sort each year from greatest value to smallest, but now I want to sort it so
each years max value is shown first, then the next years max value, etc.

You would need extra help columns with formulas or using a filter
if you apply auto filter and select the year from the year column and then
copying the result somewhere else, then do the sorting base on the value
descending. There is now way the built in sort can handle it in one fell
swoop

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"The Wrightster" <The Wrightster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I sort data so I can see (sort?) the maximum value for each year in
> excel. I have 365 values per year and 78 years worth of data. I got excel
> sort each year from greatest value to smallest, but now I want to sort it
so
> each years max value is shown first, then the next years max value, etc.

0
terre081 (3244)
2/24/2005 3:07:07 PM
That is what I started doing, but thought maybe there was a better way and
couldn't figure it out. Thanks for the help!!!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> You would need extra help columns with formulas or using a filter
> if you apply auto filter and select the year from the year column and then
> copying the result somewhere else, then do the sorting base on the value
> descending. There is now way the built in sort can handle it in one fell
> swoop
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "The Wrightster" <The Wrightster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I sort data so I can see (sort?) the maximum value for each year in
> > excel. I have 365 values per year and 78 years worth of data. I got excel
> > sort each year from greatest value to smallest, but now I want to sort it
> so
> > each years max value is shown first, then the next years max value, etc.

If I understand your issue, you want to sort by year and within year by
value? As long as you have the data in consecutive columns & rows (no
subtotals, no empty columns or rows, etc.) you don't need any formulas. Go to
Data>Sort and select "year" from the top list, "value" from the second list &
click OK. |:>)

"The Wrightster" wrote:

> How do I sort data so I can see (sort?) the maximum value for each year in
> excel. I have 365 values per year and 78 years worth of data. I got excel to
> sort each year from greatest value to smallest, but now I want to sort it so
> each years max value is shown first, then the next years max value, etc.
0
CyberTaz (411)

Cannot open Excel attachments
Hello, I have a user that cannot open Excel attachments from inside Outlook. He gets a security message and is given an option to save the attachments or cancel. He can open all other attachments without this warning appearing. I checked his registry and he has .xls files in the exception that is posted on the MS KB. He has Excel 2002 and Outlook 2002. His e-mail comes through an Exchange server. I do not have special security settings in place for this user. I cannot find anything else on Google or MS. Please help. Thank you. Aaron Aaron hu kiteb: > Hello, I have a user that cannot op...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Sorting

How to sort account list?

Row names will not move with sort

looking for Excel VBA work
I am looking for Excel VBA work... I have been working with excel and vba for the past 3 years. I am very involved in it. I love helping people. Although I do require some money for my work, I do not charge as high as most programmer's do. If you need some help or some work done, please contact me at conspiringfate@earthlink.net Mike -- conspiringfate ------------------------------------------------------------------------ conspiringfate's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31745 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?...

sorts not sorting

formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily
formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily =NOW() or =TODAY() -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel, 10 Years Pearson Software Consulting www.cpearson.com (email on the web site) "Vishal" <Vishal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1065C8D9-220E-4071-AEEC-B3ECE6593D1D@microsoft.com... > formula to update todays date in excell automatically daily ...

Call value from table not form
I am probably overlooking something stupid here but, I need to pull a value from a table when a form is not open? Dim InternalEmail As String InternalEmail = Forms!frmCommitteeEmail!DMEmail this gives an error if the form frmCommitteeEmail is not already open. I am pretty sure that is the problem because if I add code to first open the form it works fine. Any help here will be appreciated. Thanks in advance Dave wrote: > I am probably overlooking something stupid here but, I need to pull a > value from a table when a form is not open? > > Dim InternalEmail As String > I...

Yearly Monthly break-down Cost Report
I need to report each month how many kids were in the program (New & Carry-over from previous month), number of days in program and cost (per diem). Time frame can be for calendar or fiscal year or past 2 months so Begin Date: (1-1-07) and End Date: (2-28-07) are variables entered. (example: Johnny "Date Placed" in program on 1-10-07 "Release Date" from program 2-5-07) so for January & Feburary how do I calcualate each month? January 10 - 31 and Feburary 1 - 4 (we don't count actual exit day)...HELP!!! THANKS!!! ...

import- number- sort?

Receiving excel files
Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to open it, I receive the error message 'file format is not valid'. These are all .xls files. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem ??? Doug What versions of XL? (if you have versions before 97 and you are sent 97 or above, the file formats are different) -- HTH Nick Hodge Southampton, England nick_hodge@btinternet.com "Doug" <dwire90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:01ae01c3903a$31837eb0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to > open it, I receive the...

macro in excel to copy from excel to word
i have a database in excel...which i would like to take more advantag of. I also have some forms in Word that I was hoping to be able to get the to be automatically completed using the excel database. Initially thought this would be quite simple.... just record the macr then modify it to suit. This using simple copy from excel and paste into word document, o pasting into form..field..values. I have done a little before with excel macros - to a level of 'usin excel programming for dummies' book. But really do not know where t start now. Have seen this: "Dim appWD As Word.Appl...

Chart Axis Value
I am using a line chart, where the chart results are driven by a validation list. So when I choose a specific product, up come sales, forecast and ajusted forecast for the product. Seeing that we are not living in a perfect world, the acuals differs quite by a huge amount depending on the product. What I want to achieve is to set the Major Axis (Y Axis) value to 20 % or a fifth of the total value, as I want only 5 gridlines in my charts. I have linked my Chart Title a to a cell (Validation Cell, so chart title = product name), but I cant seem to ink the Y axis major value to a cell. Is thi...

difference between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002
I would like to know what the differences are between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002 Go to John Walkenbach's site www.j-wal.com Lots of info there. -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Eleanor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD9A6D01-EA2F-4031-B6C6-99E2E2DD0EE3@microsoft.com... > I would like to know what the differences are between Excel 2000 and Excel XP, and Excel 2002 This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C3F6CA.F29BA860 Content-Type: multipart/alt...

yearly calendar
I am in need of creating a yearly calendar. I want a 24"x36" poster with jan-dec 2008 visible. Plus I need to enter data for events and appointments. Am I able to do this with Publisher? Or do I need to use another program? I tried to change the time frames plus the page set up, but when I change it to poster size, it makes each month poster size. Any suggestions? What version Publisher? The below instructions will not work for 2007. Use a Design Gallery calendar. Setup your page, Arrange menu, grid guides, 3 columns, 4 rows. Select your calendar, click the wand, change the ...

excel macro...PLEASE HELP!
Hi there, Here's what I would like to know how to execute. Assuming I have created a macro in place in a file. When I open that file, I want that macro to run...how do I do it? Thank your for reading and any suggestions are welcomed! Hi Jack Rename it Sub Auto_open() -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Followup to newsgroup only please. "Jack" <tangjack@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:00e601c38ceb$78b050d0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi there, > > Here's what I would like to know how to execute. > > Assuming I have created a macro in place in a file. When...

Printing Form to Include All Options in Excel
Hello, I am extremely new to creating forms in Excel so bare with me here! Is there a way that I can print my form so that all options in my list box appear? I have a list box that is extremely long, so on the electronic version I want to have a scroll bar to save space. However, when I go to print, I would like all options to be visible. Can I do this w/o having to make the list box extremely long on the elctronic version so that all options are visible? Maybe you could print the list from a worksheet range? LostAndConfused wrote: > > Hello, > > I am extremely new to cr...

sorting macro #3

Excel should allow macro on a shared workbook.
We are using excel tables all the time at my company. There are more than 20 people working on the same excel file which has thousands of columns so we use autofilter or some other macros. Shared workbook will help us alot because we will be able to change the file at the same time which is very time saving. Is there any way that macros are allowed at shared workbooks? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

Save Excel 2002 to be read by MacIntosh Excel 2004?
Is it possible for the MacIntosh Excel 2004 to read an Excel XP 2002 spreadsheet? How should XP spreadsheet be saved? HELP, please!! MacXL98/01/v.X/2004 files are the exact same format as WinXL97/00/02/03 files. Save the file as an XL workbook and transfer it to the Mac. In article <0D5EBD4E-E12F-4E2D-AC2C-F45E556284E9@microsoft.com>, "cagedbirdflies" <cagedbirdflies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible for the MacIntosh Excel 2004 to read an Excel XP 2002 > spreadsheet? How should XP spreadsheet be saved? HELP, please!! "JE McGimpse...

line chart displays wrong values
Yesterday my chart wizard went crazy A simple chart, I've done them thousands of times Now when I select 2 series and try to plot a 2 line chart the first series plots fine and the second plots as the sum of the two series. I tried shutting down, restarting, typing the data manually into a new sheet, sending the data to a colleague -- the result is the same HELP! -- koche005 It sounds like you created a stacked line chart. To change it: Select the chart Choose Chart>Chart Type Select the Line chart type Select the Line chart sub-type (at the top left) Click OK koche005 wrote: &...

Sorting checking register

Passing a value from subform or main form to subform query
I am using MS ACCESS 2003 I have a main form and a subform that pulls up an existing case for the user to update the information already entered. The subform is designed and opens up in form view not in datasheet view. The subform knows which case to pull in based on the case number on the main form The textboxes on the main form are bound fields from a query. The user enters an ID which is how the main form query knows which record to pull and it works. The textboxes on the subform are bound with data from a different query (so I have a query for each form) The que...