How do I shut off making a backup copy of a file when I save in E.

We have a shared worksheet that many people access and make changes to.
Every time someone saves the file, Excel creates a backup copy of the file in
the folder.  How do I shut that feature off?

options button on the save screen
0
dlv (6)
12/21/2004 9:53:07 PM
Choose File>Save As
At the top right of the Save dialog box, click the Tools button
Select General Options
Remove the check mark from 'Always create backup'
Click OK, click Save
Click Yes, to replace the existing file.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Help: Formula put into entire row creates large file size
Hi, I have a spreadsheet where I would like one column to be the concatenation of two other columns. For example, in column C I would have =A1&B1. This excel file will be given to people and they will fill in values into columns A and B. The trick is, I don't know how many rows there will be, so I don't know how many rows in column C should have this formula. If I paste this formula into the entire column C, the excel file blows up to 3 megabytes. (It's only 15KB without this column). Are there ways for me to accomplish this more efficiently? Thanks for any help Are y...

Hyperlink to folder on Save
Hi I'm losing the link to my folder when I save my worksheet having set it up a hyperlink. I've tried switiching off 'update links on Save' in the Web Options which seems to work OK but when anyone else opens the file form another network PC, the link is lost again when they save the document. Is there anyway I can lock the hyperlink down so the address doesn't get aleter when its saved on other network PCs? Try using the HYPERLINK() function instead =HYPERLINK("file:////c:\filename.xls","Book1") -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "F...

Save charts as Windows Metafiles
This has undoubtedly been asked before, but: Is there a method, plug-in tool, VB script or something that enables you to save Excel graphs as WMF or EMF files? Without first copy-pasting it into some drawing program and saving it there? Ideally, one would copy the graph to the clipboard, and then be able to access a dialogue direclty from/in Excel that lets you save it as a WMF file. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide! Jeroen Dekker jeroen@square1.nl ...

Corrupt Access 2003 File
I was working on this file earlier today, I even just opened it and it was fine and all of a sudden there is a write delay to the save the file, I closed it and I try opening it again and it is corrupted. I don't get it. The message I am getting is below. What does that mean. I just finished making a lost of update to the file. The last time I backed it up was Tuesday, and I have done a lot of work to it between then and now. I don't have the time to go back and redo all that work again. Any help will be appreciated. "Microsoft Office Access has detected corruption in this ...

Want More Cash in a Day then most People Make in a Week?
Be glad you opened this message. One simple click of your mouse is simply going to fill your wallet. This system is a dream for any one trying to market a business. Why? Because we give you more leads than you can handle and pay you to do it. Yes you heard right, we will pay you for getting tons of people banging down your door. As top marketers we just leveled the playing field. Now any Average Joe can use our system get paid and become a top earner of any company. When you see are videos and our virtual spokes people you will fall off your chair. You are going to get your hands on a system t...

Querying MS Access from C# on stored file paths
Hi folks, I'm storing some particulars about file usage in my MS Access database, incl. the full paths of those files. I tried to query the database in my C# code. My idea was to retrieve from the database by means of SQL when a file was used the last time, but I only know the directory it is in, so in my code I tried to construct a WHERE clause as follows: String whereClause = "WHERE Filename LIKE '" + dirpath + "*'"; Of course I'm working on Windows and I don't want to think of portability now. Obviously, the variable dirpath contains double...

help
I have some texts files, which i want to read in each line, and then write back each line to a new text file. So for example, I want to read in the 2 lines below: "C:\Data\=D3=EA=D2=B9=D0=C7=BF=D5",6,10,3,3,8 "",0,0,0,318.592,83.04552 I store each line of data in the following vector: std::vector<CString> FileData; So FileData[0] =3D ""C:\Data\=D3=EA=D2=B9=D0=C7=BF=D5",6,10,3,3,8" FileData[1] =3D """,0,0,0,318.592,83.04552" (the data is in the vector correctly) Then I go to write the data to a new text file... FILE ...

Copying Subtotals?
How do I copy just the subtotal information to a new worksheet? Hi Robin, If you are just copying the information over, just copy it and on the new worksheet, do a paste special onto it Aloys "Robin Funnell" <Robin Funnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE504B23-96FB-4B0F-9D9F-366B1E8B1A7E@microsoft.com... > How do I copy just the subtotal information to a new worksheet? On your subtotaled page, summarize to the level that you want to copy (by clicking on the numbers on the upper left). Select all of the rows. Then select Edit - Go to, hit the ...

Converting XLS file to QIF or to OFX
How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? "dreamchaser" wrote: > How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? In Excel, save the file to CSV and ustilise iCreateOFX Basic from: http://icreateofx.co.uk/Convert-CSV-to-OFX to convert the saved CSV file to OFX. ...

Copying a worksheet and retaining values (not formulas)
I have a comprehensive sales spreadsheet setup which reads raw data from my PC, collates and calculates, and displays a summary sheet. This summary sheet is fine as long as it is on my PC, but sending it to others who do not share the source data means all the links are broken. Rather than give access to the links, I want to create a file containing the actual calculated values, layout and formatting, for sending to others. Can this be done? (and if so, how!) Hi 1. way Right-click on sheet tab, select 'Move or Copy', check 'Create a Copy' and select 'New book'...

execute batch file does not execute all command lines
I am using the following code to execute a batch file which contains multiple commands, each on a separate line. Each command-line creates a file. What I am finding is that only some of the files are being created ( 7 out of 11 ). If I then run the batch file directly ( either by double-clicking, or pasting its path into cmd.exe window ), all files are created ( 11 out of 11 ). private void executeBatchFile(string pathBatchFile, string pathWorkingDirectory, Label outputDump) { ...

Precompiled headers and source files in subdirectory
Hello, I'm using MSVC++ 8.0 SP1 on WinXP Pro and I have a simple, app-wizard generated MFC application. It was using precompiled headers to speed up build times (as is the default), but when I tried to move the c++ source files to a subdirectory "src" to in the project/solution directory, I can't build the program anymore without disabling precompiled headers. I get these errors: error C2859: c:\coding\msvc\toolbar-demo\debug\vc80.pdb is not the pdb file that was used when this precompiled header was created, recreate the precompiled header. error C2859: c:\coding\msvc...

What's the name of the file that stores AutoComplete addresses
My Outlook had to be re-installed and I lost my contact list which is very large. I see several files in the recycle bin. Is one of them by contacts? Autocomplete cache is an NK2 file, named for your profile, often outlook.nk2. Paste the following line in the address bar of windows explorer; %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and it will open to the folder where its stored. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subsc...

Opening Text Files and Re-Saving Them
Hi. I am trying to write some code which will allow a user to select a folder and then will open all of the text files in that folder and re-save them as excel files. I have sorted out the code to enable the user to select the folder they wish to use, but am looking some assistance on the looping to enable each of the text files to be opened and re-saved. Can anyone suggest how I might do this. Thanks. If the text files are all the same, you could record a macro that Opens, saves as an excel file, and closes the file. Then that recorded macro could be modified to open...

the system cannot find the file specified outlook 2003 #2
Attachments show up in emails, but when you try to open them, the messages comes up "the system cannot find the file specified", but other recipiants on same email can open theirs. ...

how do i forward an e-mail?
I have one new employee, that can not forward a fax from a public fax folder, but can forward e-mails from his e-mail account? Here is the error I keep getting. You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. MSEXCH:MSExchangeIS:/DC=local/DC=hivalley:HVSBS1 What rights do they have in the public folder? "Gloria" wrote: > I have one new employee, that can not forward a fax from a public fax folder, > but can forward e-mails from his e-mail account? Here is the error I keep > getting. >...

Missing Fonts when saved in PDF
On occasion, when I save my publication in PDF form, the fonts will change. Are there certain fonts which are not allowed? How do I get them? Not all fonts can be embedded. There's nothing you can do about that except to use fonts than can be. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "bellarush" <bellarush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:036AE470-3C94-4298-9FEB-AC929F16A30A@microsoft.com... > On occasion, when I save my publication in PDF form, the fonts will > change. &...

ftp server or I can saved from Ecxel? #2
I need to fine out how to save a hml workbook onto my website do I need to use ftp server or I can saved from Ecxel? Kosta ...

trouble opening office 2003 excel files
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am having difficulty opening Excel files that were created in the 2003 version withthe 2008 version. The files were originally created on a windows XP machine, then imported into a Mac using Office 2003 under system 10.4. The files are rather large, approximately 60 columns by 10,000 rows. I haad no difficulty in working with the files between the Windows and Mac systems. I recently got a new MacBook Pro with an Intel processor and installed Office 2008. When I try to read these large Excel files on my new lap...

copy an e-mail
I sent an e-mail to my e-mail office address with the intention of forwarding it tomorrow morning, I then realized I forgot to edit a very important part of it. Is there a way I can edit an e-mail that was sent to me by myself from another locale then forward to others in my office ...

odd files created
Every time I open and edit an excel spreadsheet on a network share, small odd files get created. They are usually no larger than 25-40k and don't have any extensions to them. Looking at the properties page for any file, the file description says File. Anyone know what this is from or how to get rid of them? Permissions are setup correctly for me, Word files don't have this behavior. Excel 2000 SP3 Thanks, Hi Brian, A file the same size as the workbook would be created in the same directory as the workbook. The filename would be nonsensical (or appear to be random) character...

Supported File Attachment for Faxes
What are the supported file attachment types for fax activities? So far I've gotten simple text files and Bitmaps to attach properly, but Word documents do not work. Anyone know? Is this completed undocumented or what? Try this! If you are attaching a file under the Notes tab, you need to save your fax activity first then you can attach the file. Hope this help, DK "iparadox" wrote: > Is this completed undocumented or what? > > It does'nt work with Word attachments, it only works with .txt files. But it can't be this is what MS wanted. Can anyone p...

How do I transfer files between computers in OE?
I use two computers to access my mail and there are files I have on one machine I need on the other. Backing up does not work Help Hi Brian, Please take a look at Microsoft KB article OLEXP: How to Back Up the Outlook Express Address Book and Mail Folders Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 188854 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188854 This article gives you information on how to Backup the OE files and how to import to your new system... Please let me know has this helped You... Thank you... Raghu... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no wa...

Copying a worksheet into the same workbook
Hi, and thanks in advane for the help! I would like to know how to copy an existing worksheet and automatically rename it from a cell within that sheet into the same workbook. I have searched but not found what I want to do. I think it has to do with the newsheet event but not sure how to do it. Mike Try this for the activesheet with the sheet name in B3 Sub test() ActiveSheet.Copy after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count) On Error Resume Next ActiveSheet.Name = Range("B3").Value On Error GoTo 0 End Sub -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Michael&...

Copying a image
Using a form in access 2002 I need to browse to a jpg image and copy that image to a folder. I have a command button to named browse but I can not get the code correct. Hi there, You've provided not much info, so therefore some questions: Is the jpg file name and location known or does it change every day/hour/week? Is the destination folder known or does it change too? Here's what I would do: 1) retrieve the source folder path - that info is either stored somewhere in your database or use the return value of the open file dialog 2) if the jpg file name is stored somewhere in y...