How do i show the drop down arrow for a list in Excel

I have created an almost working data/validation/list in Excel 2003.  I can
see the note when I click on the cell, but it does not show me the arrow for
the dropdown list.  I have the "In-cell dropdown" box checked.   Furthermore,
it will not give me an error if something is typed incorrectly.

Lastly, I can right click on the cell and it gives me the option to "Pick
from drop down list" and this DOES work.

I have created many dropdown lists before, but this one is giving me
problems.  Hopefully it is something obvious that I have missed.

There are some reasons for missing data validation arrows listed here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#ArrowsNotVisible

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

0
Debra

how to use Excel 2007 Sensitivity Analysis
could any help provide a sample excel worksheet with sensitivity analysis demo, including use of scenario manager to generate scenario summary. ...

Macro to ask for a item# and then show all details for that item
i have details for parts in excel. Like to have a macro that will ask the user for a item number and shaw all details for that item example Item# purchase sold date region a0012 1200 400 12/12/09 Ont b1115 500 200 12/01/09 Ont a0012 300 50 12/05/09 Aberta a0012 400 25 12/08/09 Ont Thanks for any help Hi, Might consider using an autofilter instead of a macro - Data, Filter, Auto Filter. Then open the ...

Lists in excel
Is there a way to have a list that will eliminate a value once it is already used in a group of cells? Have a look here: http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal03.html -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Kameca" <Kameca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B43DEBA-1BFD-457E-884C-6643C95081F1@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have a list that will eliminate a value once it is > already > used in a group of cells? see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx -- Gary''s Stud...

I need to C&P a section of Excel to Word but I need to get it to fit on a standard 8.5x11!
Is there a way to make this happen? The sections that I need to C&P are all the columns are 14 wide and the rows are 40, 41,44 and 65. How do I get these to fit on the page? Marc Marc wrote: > Is there a way to make this happen? The sections that I need to C&P are all > the columns are 14 wide and the rows are 40, 41,44 and 65. How do I get > these to fit on the page? > > Marc > > Smaller font, cut margins to the minimum, print landscape Print Preview > shrink to fit, are all options just depends on how wide the fields are. It just may be to big to fit ...

xlodbc.xla - Excel ODBC Add-In
Hi, I am trying to run SQL queries directly from a worksheet in Excel. I have found an add-in for Excel 2002 that is no longer supported in 2003 or 2007 which is just what I want (xlodbc.xla). 1. Why was this discontinued? 2. Is there a built-in way to do this in newer versions [running queries from a cell, NOT going to Data > Import > etc...]? 3 Any other thoughts, help, advice? Thanks! If you are looking to run a parameter query there are much better ways, You may find this helpful. http://www.nickhodge.co.uk/gui/datamenu/dataexamples/externaldataexamples.htm About 3/4 wa...

Microsoft Word
I'm trying to get a list of all the files a Microsoft Word document is hyperlinked to. Is there a way to have Word generate or show a list of all the files a Word document is hyperlinked to? Thanks On Tue, 4 May 2010 14:50:01 -0700, ikovy <ikovy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm trying to get a list of all the files a Microsoft Word document is >hyperlinked to. Is there a way to have Word generate or show a list of all >the files a Word document is hyperlinked to? > >Thanks Use this macro (see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if...

Excel 2003 question about help menu
I use Excel 2003 OFF-LINE. I find myself extremely limited and frustrated with the "menu approach" that it uses as well as the set number of items it will display as the result of a keyword search. The main problem for me ATM is that I know that the functions are categorized into say eight categories, e.g., text, but I don't always remember all of them. In the past, a search in Help would return a list of those categories from which I could quickly and easily navigate around to doublecheck my understanding. Search results in Excel 2003 are erratic, and trying to find the list...

GP 8.0 drop-shipments and costs
Hello: Is it true that Great Plains 8.0 has some issues with drop-shipments and costs in SOP? childofthe1980s I am not aware of anything different between GP 8.0 and 9.0 with respect to drop-shipments and costs in SOP. Are you seeing something specific that is not working as expected in GP 8.0? -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html "childofthe1980s" <childofthe1980s@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16A95D7F-0943-41FF-AC87-8F51D59CE5E4@microsoft.com... > Hello: > &...

Excel Macro
Hi, I have a regular task that I do on a pivottable that looks like this (but longer): No Code Total 1 DN 841.92 PRP08 0 PRP30 0 2 RDB 0.00 RTQ 0.00 RVW 15,636.98 3 PRP42 3,435.76 Grand Total 672,328.19 I paste this info into a database which requires the number to be repeated on each line. At the moment I use a macro to copy the data down to the next entry as shown below starting in the cell that has No in: Selection.End(xlDown).Select Selection.End(xlDown).Select ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlUp)).Select Selection.f...

Excel 2007 chart line types
Hi, When using Excel 2003, I was able to copy charts, and then paste them into CorelDraw as metafiles, ungroup these, and use the lines from the charts in my graphics. Since upgrading to Excel 2007, I am still able to do this, but the lines now appear to have a more complex format (the compund type is mentioned in the line properties dialog), made up of border and line types. On exporting to CoreDraw, these lines appear much less uniform than previously, changing thickness along the length of the line. Is there a workaround to allow me to plot chats with non-compund type lines as was po...

Can't get bar code font to work in EXCEL 2003
I have a simple formula that converts a part number to a 3 of 9 bar code font in Excel 2003. Works great on my computer but a co-worker, who also has Excel 2003, can't get this to work. On her PC it show the 3 of 9 font in the drop down box but in the cell it is not converting it to a bar code image. Any suggestions? Thanks, Tony Most likely the font is not installed properly... She needs to reinstall the font. It can be done through Control Panel -> Fonts if you have the font available. "Tony" wrote: > I have a simple formula that conve...

Line Graph in Excel
I have created a line graph in Excel (with my input data on a separate worksheet). I have 3 columns: Planned, Actual, and New. I am tracking 'requirements' and I only want 2 lines on the graph. I have plotted the Planned and Actual, however I want the 'New' to be added to the 'Planned' in the graph. Maybe my example below will help? Planned Actual New A 10 8 0 B 15 12 2 C 20 17 0 D 25 23 ...

repeating a data pattern in excel
Im using excel to run a class register for a playgroup. Each pupil is booked in for a number of days per week. To show their forecast for the year, I'm manually entering the days they're going to be present each week - is there a way to do this automatically? For example, Ben is booked in for Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays - how can I copy this weekly pattern throughout the year without manually tabbing across and ticking the relevant days? Hi, Kel. To do this manually, but easily, type the first 3 "sets". Select them all and copy down using the fill handle. You coul...

Conditional line/arrow
Is it possible to have a line or arrow drawn between two cells if the amount entered in one cell exceeds a control value in another cell? Kind of... I compared A1 with D10. I put a line from the drawing toolbar between these two cells. With that line selected, I typed a new name for it in the name box. I called it: LineA1_D10 (just to distinguish it) Then I rightclicked on that worksheet tab and selected view code. I pasted this into the code window: Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Intersect(Ta...

Outlook 2000 Can't find contacts for Distribution list
In Outlook 2000 on Windows 98SE I have added contacts and want to create a distribution list I go File->New->Distribution list Then click Select Members. In the drop down list box next to the text "Show names from the:" there is nothing!! I expect to be able to set it to the Contacts folder but when I open the list box nothing is there. Any ideas? Thanks jw Is the Contacts Folder enabled as an email address book in its properties? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "MS" <yea@right.off> wrote in message news:%23$vfCi4DFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > ...

excel vba
i would like to bring up the file save as dialog box and defalut to a file type of xls.. here's what i'm using... 'i have a path and file name in Newfile NewFile = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(myfilename, "*.xls") thank you...! ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore! Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum *** Hi try newFile = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(Initialfilename:=myfilename, _ fileFilter:="Excel Files (*.xls), *.xls") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany mjschukas wro...

Cannot close Excel #2
I cannot close ANY Excel document with the upper-right X Button. When clicking the X either nothing happens or the X greys out. When I click on "file" "exit", the "save as" window pops up. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office - same results. Please help! ...

Moving word documents into excel
I'm having trouble moving a word document into excel. The problem that i'm having is when i move the document to excel, some of it is not showing up on the spreedsheet. Almost all the information is all moved to the left side of the page. I'm i doing something wrong or do i have to make the adjustments my self. Please help. How are you moving the Word document into Excel? You can choose Insert>Object, and on the 'Create from File' tab, select a Word document. This would display the first page in the Word document. Deidra wrote: > I'm having trouble moving ...

working with excel
i am using check boxs for yes and no questions,how do i simplify the size and centering them on a row and column? There are two different checkboxes--one from the controltoolbox toolbar and one from the forms toolbar. This code will fill the topleft cell with the checkbox: Option Explicit Sub testme1() Dim OLEObj As OLEObject Dim myCBX As CheckBox For Each OLEObj In ActiveSheet.OLEObjects If TypeOf OLEObj.Object Is MSForms.CheckBox Then With OLEObj .Top = .TopLeftCell.Top .Height = .TopLeftCell.Height .Wi...

add-ins for excel 2001
Does anyone know if how to get the data-analysis add-in for excel- 2001? Do I have to upgrade to 2004 (which I had a difficult time doing) thanks- marrakech75 wrote: > Does anyone know if how to get the data-analysis add-in for excel- > 2001? Do I have to upgrade to 2004 (which I had a difficult time > doing) > thanks- Hi, The data analysis toolpak is included in the Office 2001 install disc. You can do a custom install and install just the toolpak, I think. -Jim -- Jim Gordon Mac MVP Co-author of Office 2008 for Mac All-in-One For Dummies http://tinyurl.com/Office-2008-for-...

Weird problem with Publisher's listing of available printers #2
None of the installed printers will show up in Publisher on this lady's computer. They are installed in Windows and show up fine in other Office Programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.). However, when you go to print a document in Publisher, the only printers listed are the "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer" and the "Lanfax Printer". None of the physical printers are listed! I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all the printers. I also tried upgrading from Publisher XP to Publisher 2003, but the problem has persisted. I have googled this and searched Micr...

excel 2000 #31
How do I assign a hyperlink to a tab? I wish to save my workbook as a web page with a worksheet tab called home that will return me to my home page simply by clicking the tab. I don't believe this is possible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "rich" <rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8141D876-E904-4E59-88FB-6B265A37DCE2@microsoft.com... > How do I assign a hyperlink to a tab? I wish to save my > workbook as a web > page with a worksheet tab called home that will return m...

Using a List Box
Using Access 2002 VBA I'm trying to post events in my program as they occur, using a list box(named ev_log). With: (In Module1) Public Function StatusOut(LogItem$, ByVal bLogFile As Boolean) As Boolean Forms!frmTest.ev_log.AddItem LogItem$, 0 Forms!frmTest.ev_log.Selected(0) = True If bLogFile Then If bLogging Then PrintString$ = LogItem$ & Chr(13) & Chr(10) If bLogFileChgBusy = False Then Err.Clear Put #hLogFile, , PrintString$ If Err Then LogItem$ = Format(Now, "...

Links in Excel #3
I am using Excel and OSX. I can link from one workbook to another. But if I change the location of a link (for example, adding a row), I find that the object link is still looking for the old location. That is, if the subject of the link is in cell B5, and I add a row to the workbook so to that the subject of the link is now in cell B6, I find that the object of the link is still look for whatever is in B5. Thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Herb, This does occur whenever you change the file that is linked to, without having the file liking to it opened as...

Excel worksheet embedded in Word 2002
I am working with a word 2002 document which has an embedded Exce worksheet. The excel files perform calculations depending on what th user fills in or selects (with radio buttons), and then completes wha looks like a Word document. I have 2 problems: First, I am trying to use parts of the sam worksheet in two places in this 4-page document. Page 4 has one sectio of the worksheet with a section that the user fills in with a numbe ranking, 1-5, and then Cell L39 sums those rankings. The total in L3 then shows up in another area of the same worksheet, and also on page of the Word document. Whe...