how do i set up drop down menus to populate cells in excel?

Hi,

I'm trying to build a database in excel, and to aide data inputting, i'm
trying to figure out if you can use drop down menu's like in the form view of
access. eg in access you list all the possble responses and add this to the
drop down menu for selection to populate the field so you don't have to type
it out again. I'm using excel because several people will need access to the
file and not many use access. Is it possible to do this in excel???
0
scott7693 (519)

You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists. There are
instructions in Excel's help, and here:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
5/26/2005 5:57:46 PM
Hi

This is for a dropdown control. If H1 is your link cell and E5 is the cell
where your list of dropdown value starts. Assign this macro to the control
by right clicking on the dropdown control.

Sub aaa()
    ActiveCell.Value = [E5].Offset([H1].Value-1, 0).Value
End Sub

Louise Scott > wrote in message
<32C1ACC1-FA90-4056-B85F-918C0F2243C4@microsoft.com>...
>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to build a database in excel, and to aide data inputting, i'm
>trying to figure out if you can use drop down menu's like in the form view
of
>access. eg in access you list all the possble responses and add this to the
>drop down menu for selection to populate the field so you don't have to
type
>it out again. I'm using excel because several people will need access to
the
>file and not many use access. Is it possible to do this in excel???

0
dug4xl (12)

setting up new outlook mail account

Excel 2003 scrolling
When using Excel, I have always been able to use the scroll wheel to navigate vertically in a spreadsheet. With the installation of Excel 2003, scrolling occurs left to right. Any solutions? ...

Inserting time inside cell
I use Office 2003 Excel Win XP Can someone tell me how to insert time: hours, minutes and seconds inside a cell? sn hi, hh:mm:ss or 12:12:12 also see Format>cells>number tab. scroll down left to custom. scroll down right to see other formats. regards FSt1 "Sachi Noma" wrote: > I use Office 2003 Excel Win XP > > Can someone tell me how to insert time: hours, minutes and seconds inside a > cell? > > sn > > Hi Sachi, Not sure if this is what you are looking for but if you hit ctrl+; in a cell it will put the current date in that cell, i...

OWA Set Rule problem

Latest version of Excel that will read Excel 5 files
Will Excel 2002 read Excel 5 files? What about Excel 2003? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi will do. My Excel 2003 reads and saves Excel 95 files as well Frank > Will Excel 2002 read Excel 5 files? What about Excel 2003? Just to be sure there's no misunderstanding, I meant Excel 5.0, the version that preceded Office 95. Excel 5.0, when packaged with Office, was part of Office 4.3. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Yes -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "dderolph >" <<dderolph.10lrct@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in mes...

Remove unwanted fonts from drop down menu
I have a number of apparently Korean fonts such as @Batang, @Dotum, @Fang Song, etc. I want them removed. When I go to the Control Panel and the Font Icon, they are not listed. How do I remove them? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.micros...

How to set backcolour

How to keep a cell empty at the same time formula embedded?
Can we have an empty cell but formula embedded in that cell. A cell cannot be both "empty" and contain something...........you can however, put a formula there that will display a blank cell according to the conditions of it's calculations........... =(IF(A1>5,A1,"")......will display a blank cell if A1 is 5 or less Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "vic_dic" <vic_dic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A590D8A6-7E86-49B7-AA9A-12DE213E670C@microsoft.com... > Can we have an empty cell but formula embedded in that cell. What are you...

Set Regional Settings but not Language

Search cells with many numbers a few numbers?
In Excel, I'd like to search cells which have many numbers in each, they are separated by spaces. I'd like to look in the cells for a few numbers. The logic statements do not seem to work. How do I do this? ...

Reading Pane Settings

Excel File
When we received a excel file through mail , while opening the file i received a error :corrupt file, run repair to to extract the contents. The same file when opened on another PC received an error : read only. Please asuggest a immediate solution Can you right-click the file, go to properties and uncheck read only? -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "ritu" wrote: > When we received a excel file through mail , while opening the file i > received a error :corrupt file, run repair to to extract the contents. > > The same file when opened on another PC received an error ...

Path\File name length problem Excel Crash on save as
I have a problem saving a file in code using: thisworkbook.SaveAs The problem is if the file and path length is greater than 150 then the Excel app crashes. I have tried this over a network as well as a local drive. Has anyone ever seen this problem? Thanks in advance, Stewart Rogers ...

Freezing contents of a cell
I have a cell (A4) that copies the results of a formula in another cell (B8). When B8 changes, I want A4 to keep its original results. Is this possible? Thanks, Barney Yes, have a look at the freeze pane function. It takes a cell co-ordinate and freezes on the cell. -- Regards, Alvin Bruney [Shameless Author Plug] The Microsoft Office Web Components Black Book with .NET available at www.lulu.com/owc ------------------------------------------------------------ "Barney" <postonbl@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OB#mmsSIFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have a c...

Cell Display Issue
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a spreadsheet that I created in Excel 2007 (windows) and am using in Excel 2008 Mac. I cannot get the cells the right width to display the numbers in all the cells. <br><br>When the column is too narrow, &quot;####&quot; is displayed as you would expect. But when I increase the column width to correctly display that cell, other cells in the same column that were displaying correctly now display &quot;# #####&quot;. <br><br>Increasing the column does not solve t...

format a cell
does anybody know how i can format a cell so that it looks like its raise. thanks in advance. One play to tinker with Either switch-off the gridlines (Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck gridlines > OK) or press CTRL + A (select entire sheet) then click to Fill color > white Select the cell(s) Click Format > Cells > Border tab Select the thickest solid line in "Style" Click to format either the right & bottom or the left & top borders Select the thinnest solid line in "Style" Click to format the remaining 2 borders Click OK -- Rgds...

How do I set OOR

Transferring Excel Data to Word...??? Help, ASAP!!!
I have to make "class passes" every week. They Include the student's name, Group color, homeroom teacher's name and room number, number of the room they will be going to, and the date and time. It is very hard to type in all of this data EVERY week... I have an excel spreadsheet that has all of this data in it. How do I "get my computer" to just "fill in" the blanks? for example, i have my data, and i press some key, and the names, teachers names, dates, times, room #s, etc. are filled in automatically. I've tried to make a template, i ju...

interactive buttons, multiple sets

Set Focus