How do I set up Data entry to match My Application Form

I have a specific Application Form that I must fill out by hand at each
interview.  I have created the form in Excel to allow me to type the info
into the appropriate fields.  This however labor intensive and it is easy to
make a mistake that may change a different field.

Can I create separate listing or database (similar to the mail merge
concept) that will just drop the info into the proper cells on the form with
out me touching the form itself?
0
Ziggy (11)

You could create an Input sheet.  I'd name it Input <bg>.

Then in column A, put a nice description.  In column B, put your entry:

A                B
FirstName        Ziggy
LastName         Stardust
Salutation       Mr (or Ms.)
etc

Then on your Forms sheet, you'd use a formula that points back to that input
sheet.

=if(input!b1="","",input!b1)
(to grab the first name)

You could even protect the forms sheet so that you can't overwrite the formulas:
tools|protection|protect sheet

--

Dave Peterson
0

For example:  =if(input!b1="","",input!b1).  If I am only transfering
information, Why use an "if" statement.  When I put this in the form cell,
and put a sample information 1234 on cell b1 of the input page, I got a REF#
error.

I am assuming that I am supposed to have more information in the
=if(input!b1="","",input!b1) string... perhaps in the quotes?  I'm just not
familiar enough with the formula.

Heres how I am translating it in my mind... If Cell B1 on the sheet titled
"Input" equals... at this point I'm unsure what the quotes are to
respresent... then... again make the cell value... again not sure what the
quotes represent...if not, then input the information in Cell B1 of the
"Input" sheet.

I'm also a bit embarrassed to admit the I am a little confused about the
<bg> symbol you placed after the suggestion to name the input page Input <bg>

Like I said the direct input formula works fine for what I'm doing right
now, I'm just afraid that I will run into a situation where your full formula
will be necessary.

Thanks so much for you assistance.

Mr. Ziggy

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> You could create an Input sheet.  I'd name it Input <bg>.
>
> Then in column A, put a nice description.  In column B, put your entry:
>
> A                B
> FirstName        Ziggy
> LastName         Stardust
> Salutation       Mr (or Ms.)
> etc
>
> Then on your Forms sheet, you'd use a formula that points back to that input
> sheet.
>
> =if(input!b1="","",input!b1)
> (to grab the first name)
>
> You could even protect the forms sheet so that you can't overwrite the formulas:
> tools|protection|protect sheet
>

> Mr. Ziggy wrote:
> >
> > I have a specific Application Form that I must fill out by hand at each
> > interview.  I have created the form in Excel to allow me to type the info
> > into the appropriate fields.  This however labor intensive and it is easy to
> > make a mistake that may change a different field.
> >
> > Can I create separate listing or database (similar to the mail merge
> > concept) that will just drop the info into the proper cells on the form with
> > out me touching the form itself?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
MrZiggy (2)
12/15/2005 5:39:04 PM
=input!b1
will return what's in B1 of the Input sheet.

But if that cell is empty, you'll see a 0.

So
=if(input!b1="","",input!b1)
says to check what's in B1.  If it's empty (""), then show nothing ("").  But if
there's something there, show it instead.

I think you made a typo to get the #ref! error.

And <bg> just mean big grin.  I'd name the input sheet "Input" was kind of a
feeble attempt at humor.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thanks so much Dave for your help.  That made things go so much smoother.
The next step is going to be finding a practical way to view the input page.
I'd love to be able to bring up individual data entry pages.  Just type the
info for this section then hit the "next" button and get the next section.
For now I just have the data fields set up in bordered cells all on one page.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> =input!b1
> will return what's in B1 of the Input sheet.
>
> But if that cell is empty, you'll see a 0.
>
> So
> =if(input!b1="","",input!b1)
> says to check what's in B1.  If it's empty (""), then show nothing ("").  But if
> there's something there, show it instead.
>
> I think you made a typo to get the #ref! error.
>
> And <bg> just mean big grin.  I'd name the input sheet "Input" was kind of a
> feeble attempt at humor.
>

> Mr. Ziggy wrote:
> >
> > Fantastic... works great.  I did modify the command to just read =Input!B1
> > because I didn't quite understand how to work the formula you gave me.
> >
> > For example:  =if(input!b1="","",input!b1).  If I am only transfering
> > information, Why use an "if" statement.  When I put this in the form cell,
> > and put a sample information 1234 on cell b1 of the input page, I got a REF#
> > error.
> >
> > I am assuming that I am supposed to have more information in the
> > =if(input!b1="","",input!b1) string... perhaps in the quotes?  I'm just not
> > familiar enough with the formula.
> >
> > Heres how I am translating it in my mind... If Cell B1 on the sheet titled
> > "Input" equals... at this point I'm unsure what the quotes are to
> > respresent... then... again make the cell value... again not sure what the
> > quotes represent...if not, then input the information in Cell B1 of the
> > "Input" sheet.
> >
> > I'm also a bit embarrassed to admit the I am a little confused about the
> > <bg> symbol you placed after the suggestion to name the input page Input <bg>
> >
> > Like I said the direct input formula works fine for what I'm doing right
> > now, I'm just afraid that I will run into a situation where your full formula
> > will be necessary.
> >
> > Thanks so much for you assistance.
> >
> > Mr. Ziggy
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > You could create an Input sheet.  I'd name it Input <bg>.
> > >
> > > Then in column A, put a nice description.  In column B, put your entry:
> > >
> > > A                B
> > > FirstName        Ziggy
> > > LastName         Stardust
> > > Salutation       Mr (or Ms.)
> > > etc
> > >
> > > Then on your Forms sheet, you'd use a formula that points back to that input
> > > sheet.
> > >
> > > =if(input!b1="","",input!b1)
> > > (to grab the first name)
> > >
> > > You could even protect the forms sheet so that you can't overwrite the formulas:
> > > tools|protection|protect sheet

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
MrZiggy (2)
12/19/2005 6:50:04 PM
Someday, you may want to consider using a userform.

Debra Dalgleish has some get started instructions for userforms at:
http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

setting up new outlook mail account

Query Exceeds the limit of data for a single record
I have designed a database for tracking results from surveys filled out by participants attending various workshops. I am running into problems with a query that sums, counts, and groups together each question on the survey. The field data type for the question is "text". I have a total of 15 questions on the survey. When I run the query, I receive an error message stating that the form or report is based on a query in which it exceeds the limit of data for a single record. My table field properties are set at 255 characters. Some of my questions may be larger than 255. How mi...

Linked form can't be edited
I have a large table with contact details and also additional details which only relates to about a third of my clients. If I include all the fields in my main input form(1) it becomes very cluttered so I have created another form(2) for just the additional information and select it with a button from form(1). Form(2) is filtered according to the client in form(1). However even though I have enabled editing in the properties box, I am unable to edit the form(2) fields. Without the filter it works fine, but I have to find the client manually to add the additional information. What...

OWA Set Rule problem

how can I change the scale of the numbers in my chart data table?
I have set up a simple graph, and I have opted to show a data table at the bottom which shows my graph results numerically. However, whilst I have changed the scale on the value axis with no problem, I cannot change the scale of my data table to thousands.. the only option I seem to have is to be able to format the font. Please can you help? A chart data table has very limited capability. Instead of using one, consider simulating the effect. See Custom Chart Table http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/data_table/index.htm -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel,...

one label all forms
I want to put a label on all my forms that says YOU ARE IN ARCHIVE. Can I do this without placing a label on each form? Thanks. You could set the form's Caption to that. That would mean that it would appear in the bar at the top of the form. However, you'd have to set it, so I don't know whether that'll save you anything. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "seeker" <seeker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4FC21F1-32F8-4A6E-A33B-EC9B18F9617D@microsoft.com... >I want...

Is this possible to create a company from exisiting Company but with some of data
Hello Folks, Happy labor Day !!!!!! I have a very strange situation atleast for me. I have a company and now I need to create another company out of that and move some of the data but not all. Let's say I have 1000 items existed in a company and then I create another one and wish to move 300 items out of 1,000 and these 300 will not be in any sequence. By moving 300 items also means that that I want to move all other data related to these items like BOMs, GL Accounts, AR, AP, Sales Orders and Purchase Orders as well. Is there a way to slice the DB using any Import/Exp...

How to keep the application even when show desktop is selected
Hi, I am developing an application which is a sort of reminder of your daily tasks. I want this application to remain on the top right corner of desktop even when "show desktop" is selected. However it gets minimised.........Any helps appreciated. Perhaps you want to consider "Active Channel Technology" and making your display part of the "Active Desktop"? In article <D580FA88-9C89-4D3F-AB9A-8374A9DE266B@microsoft.com>, Katiyar@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Hi, > I am developing an application which is a sort of reminder of your dail...

How to set backcolour

Reading pane does not match message list
I've been using WLM desktop for a over a year with no problems at all. I just had to do a complete recovery on my PC, including an update to WLM 2009, which meant doing an export / import. All seemed to go fine. But, as of this morning many of my storage folders, but not all, show all the correct messages in the message list, but the reading pane always shows the same message. I first thought that it was the result of the import process, but I see that even messages I moved to the folders this morning are behaving the same way. I've even rebooted the PC, but I still ...

Set Regional Settings but not Language

Sharing Contact Forms on Exchange 2003
I have a user that created contact forms using Outlook (Office 2003). Server side, I have Exchange 2003 running on SBS 2003. The user would like to share these forms with the organization. What is the best way to publish the custom contact forms in Exchange 2003? Dragging the form to the public folders copies the data, but nothing more. Thanks in advance, J Wolfgang Goerlich ...

Match Payments to Deposits
Hi Folks, If column A has a series of numbers and column B has one number which is the sum of specific numbers (cells) in column A is there a way to find out which cells on A add up to the one number in B? Thanks for any clues as to how to do this.... David S> David Smith Wrote: > Hi Folks, > > If column A has a series of numbers and column B has one number which > is the > sum of specific numbers (cells) in column A is there a way to find out > which > cells on A add up to the one number in B? > > Thanks for any clues as to how to do this.... > ...

Reading Pane Settings

synchronize sub forms-part 2
Don't see my earlier post... here I go again! Scenario: Main form (1)- frm1 based on tbl01 User enters 3 parameters to filter by p1,p2,p3 Subforms (6)- fsub1-fsub6 (each with its own tab) also based on tbl01 ALL subforms are Linked to frm1 through 2 fields (p2,p3) When the 3 parameters are chosen fsub1 will list the basic info associated with them. fsub2-fsub6 will list more specific info. With the following additions suggested by Robert Carlson: fsub1 On current Event: Forms![frm1]![fsub2].Requery fsub2 On Current Event: If IsNull(Forms![frm1]![fsub1].Form!ID) = False Then ...

Propagate Lead Form Changes
I added some new values for Lead Source in the Lead form yesterday. My IT manager who's unavailable and normally does this sort of thing told me that many changes like this just "take a while" to propagate out system wide. How long does it take, or do I need to do something to publish my changes? I can see that they're saved because if I go back to edit the values for that field, they're all in there. Thanks Nathan, You need to publish the changes from the deployment manager. Usually you need to restart IIS (just Start - Run - iisreset will do the trick). T...

How do I color specific data series based on location on data she
I have about 150 data series in a chart and I want to color e.g. 10 of them red based on where in the data sheet they are located, e.g. data i column J to T. Is there an easy way to do this? Format one of them the way you want. Select the other series you want to change and press F4. This may be difficult with 150 series, however. "Havard" <Havard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F62297E-447B-4507-8D4A-A2C9A38C08EA@microsoft.com... > I have about 150 data series in a chart and I want to color e.g. 10 of them > red based on where in the data sheet ...

How do I set OOR

Sharing Outlook data files across a home network
I have two computers hooked up to a network - a desktop hardwired to my router/modem and a laptop connected wirelessly to the router/modem. I run Outlook on the desktop to download and access all my emails and contacts, but i'd also like to be able to access all this data on my laptop. Basically, i want to synchonise my email and contacts on both machines in real time. Is there any way to do this? I have never found a way to do this with stand-alone Microsoft products over the last 6 years (unless you install an Exchange Server!). There are a few aftermarket solutions like ...

interactive buttons, multiple sets