How do i retrieve a deleted excel file?????

0
Semer (1)

Unfortunately, if you don't have a backup, or a disk utility that can
recover deleted files, you don't.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
5/13/2005 8:53:34 PM
thank you for the bad news.  :o)

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> Unfortunately, if you don't have a backup, or a disk utility that can
> recover deleted files, you don't.

0
Julie (122)
5/13/2005 9:27:25 PM
Do you have a Recycle Bin?  Windows puts all deleted files in there.  Just a
thought.  HTH  Otto
"Julie Semer" <Julie Semer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
ottokmnop (389)
5/13/2005 9:50:02 PM
You might have success with a program to recover deleted files
     Disk Utilities - backup, recovery, status (#refUtil)
     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm#refUtil

The second worst thing that could happen is that it works and you still
don't create backups for the next time it happens.  Because your chances
are not all that good.

You should start taking backups and that's what the page is really about:
   Backup your files, always take backups
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
..
---
HTH,

"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52EDDF25-FCC8-45A3-AEB3-6D35300952F9@microsoft.com...
> thank you for the bad news.  :o)
>
> "JE McGimpsey" wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, if you don't have a backup, or a disk utility that can
> > recover deleted files, you don't.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
5/14/2005 12:22:52 AM
Do a search in Google under "file recovery" or "undelete file" for a free
program. There are lots of them around. Norton utilities has it but is not
free.

Brian

"Julie Semer" <Julie Semer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
bgill36 (7)
5/14/2005 12:50:49 AM
Otto Moehrbach wrote:
> Do you have a Recycle Bin?  Windows puts all deleted files in there.  Just a
> thought.  HTH  Otto
> "Julie Semer" <Julie Semer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

If it is a file you deleted "recently" then Otto is right on the mark.
It's easy to get it back from the recycle bin if it hasn't been flushed
out of there yet by more recent deletions filling the bin.  No software
or anything required.

This is definitely the very first thing to try.  The second of course is
to set up regular backups so you don't get bit by this again!

Good luck....

Bill
0
wylie836 (251)

serialize from excel file
I am working on getting an excel file into Great Plains through econnect. I need an example on how to serialize an excel file. If anyone has any code which will show me how to serialize an excel file, I will appreciate if you can post. Jack (jacktundra@hotmail.com) ...

How to retrieve the string from dialog box
Hi All, Does anyone know how to retrieve a string in IDC_STATIC on a dialog box? I have to print out a report with an application version at the bottom line for users to be aware of it in my application. I don't know how to retrieve the string in IDC_STATIC control on a dialog box. It would be very nice that someone let me know how to do that without calling the dialog box. TIA Hwasoo Lee Back 9 wrote: > Hi All, > > Does anyone know how to retrieve a string in IDC_STATIC on a dialog box? > I have to print out a report with an application version at the bottom line &g...

how do you delete account
I downloaded my checking information and somehow the balance is wrong. I need to delete checking account and then redownload checking activity. I must have done something wrong during the import to Money. I figured out how to delete one item at a time but that would be to time consuming being 100 transactions to delete. Walt The general answer for general cases of people not using Money Essential (MEss) is to go to the Account List, Select the account, and use the Delete... choice on the r-click menu. IF Money discovered this account on its own through the downloaded transaction dat...

Exporting to Excel #2
Some computers have an the option "EXPORT TO MICR. EXCEL" in their toolbar after right clicking on a webpage? I don't have that option but really need it. Can anyone help? Try the following in "no particular order" Copy the selection and paste it into excel Do a save as CSV (Comma Seperated Values) Do a save as Tab deliminated. If you try to import and everything goes into column A only. Selec column A and then in the "Font" selection Select "COURIER" and then yo might see where there are "possible" column breaks. If there are - the - ...

Delete email at set date
When I get an email sometimes I only need to keep it for a few days or weeks. By the time it is out of date it has disappeared down my inbox, so it often does not get deleted. When I get an email is it possible to put on a setting to delete it on a date in the future? I could put on a flag to remind me to deletion later, but would like it even better if it deleted without any further input. Barbara > When I get an email sometimes I only need to keep it for a few days or > weeks. By the time it is out of date it has disappeared down my > inbox, so it often does not get delet...

If Count is not in a certain range, delete Rows
I have a spreadsheet that is 59752 x 2, with the one column Contact ID A and the other column Contact Link ID. It is like an instant messaging system. It looks something like this: 1 2 1 3 1 15 2 1 2 15 I want to count by different values in column A, and any count that is not within one of several ranges, those rows get deleted. So if the range is 3-5 contacts, then I want to keep the set of 1s, but delete the set of 2s. My ranges are 4-5 contacts, 30-41 contacts, and 100+ contacts. I am also brand new to macros, but I have experience with some other coding ...

retrieve an AVERAGE of a range using VLOOKUP to locate start/end d
Can I calculate the average of a range based on VLOOKUP? In other words, can I get Excel to "look up" the respective START / END dates of an investment position listed in Sheet 1 and then go and locate those 2 distinct cell values in in a different sheet (Sheet 2) utilizing VLOOKUP function and then return the calculated AVERAGE of the cells within that range back into Sheet 1? Appreciate any thoughts if doable in Excel in any way? tAKE A LOOK AT AverageIFS and see if that does what you want. If it were me, I'd probably enter the formula manually, record the resu...

HELP
I'm sure this may have been asked before but I'd like people's opinion about when you would consider using access instead of Excel. I am starting development of an application that will act as a interface to collect / update data with approximately 10 tables (o sheets). Main User tasks will be: - review data in the interface - Make Additions / changes / flag for delete - filter data to smaller subsets of data - search for specific keywords - print report / list of data My users are very familiar with excel and this slighly puts me off th access interface. However, I do beli...

Is there a way I can find deleted assignments from 2007-2009?
These are important assignments. When were the files deleted? If they were deleted recently, there might be a chance, but special software will be needed. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Lola" <Lola@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4531D857-9332-4E01-9C63-788B553C8EBF@microsoft.com... > These are important assignments. It may be possible. When files are deleted, what happens is that the sector(s) used on the HDD is marked as free and the file descriptor is removed from the FAT. In reality, the data is still on the disk UNLES...

Retrieve mouse position
Hi, I am writing an app in which I need to retrieve the mouse coordinates even when it mouse is outside the main frame. How do I do it? Thanks! xg >Hi, I am writing an app in which I need to retrieve the mouse coordinates >even when it mouse is outside the main frame. How do I do it? Thanks! Have you tried calling GetCursorPos? If you want to know when the mouse is moving I think you'll need to use a hook - have a look at SetWindowsHookEx WH_MOUSE. Dave IN addition to David's answer, you have not stated the problem you are trying to solve. For examp...

Excel IF Function
I would like some help with a formula. Here's the situation - Cell A5 - dollar amount Cell D5 - either blank or has x in it I would like a formula that says if D5 has an x in it, then change the dollar amount in A5 to a NEGATIVE figure. How do I do that? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Given your setup, put this in cell E5 =IF(D5="x",-A5,A5) Be sure that whatever you use for the marker in D5 is identical wit the marker in the " " in the formula, i.e. X in D5, and x in formul will not work properly. It has to be x in D5 and x in the formula. ...

Conflicting Versions of Excel
I am running WinXP Home on an eMachine computer. Last week, my motherboard and the power thingie were trashed and it was cheaper to buy a refurbished eMachine, also running WinXP Home direct from CompUSA. I had the old hard drive (which was undamaged) installed as a slave (F drive) to the new C drive, figuring this would allow me to do quite a bit of drag & drop to restore old documents and even some programs, while realizing that many old programs would need to be reinstalled! On the old drive, I had Office 11. I have the install CD and the unlocking code. I have only one Excel do...

keyboard shortcut for moving between sheets in excel

How to display 4 order Polynomial equation from the Excel in VB6
Hi there, How to display 4 order Polynomial equation from the Excel in VB6 ? I can display the Polynomial equation by the following code, onething unsatisfactory it returns a 2 order Polynomial equation by default. but I need to get the 4 order Polynomial equation for further process. Your earliest reply will be highly appreciated! ' Set the trendline to be a Logarithmic trendline. tlSeries1Trend.Type = chConstants.chTrendlineTypePolynomial Have a nice week end 对不起,我本意想问chartspace 控件中,如何显示4阶多项式的曲线。 Sorry, I correct my question as follows: " by default, ...

Excel 97 replace vs newer versions...
Hi! I found that the Cells.Replace function has been updated from 97 to XP. I do not have the versions in between and not totally aware of the versions available. Anyway, I order to detect it I came up with this: Val(ExcelApplication.Version, vers, i); // get the version no as a number FOldExcel :=3D (i<>0) or (vers<=3D8); // true for errors or max version 8 Question: for 97 it is 8.0 - works well, but can it be with more that one period? Otherwise, the new "replace" would cause me problems, so my replace looks like this: Action wanted: replac...

Retrieving comment using range name
I have singular cells in different places referenced by their range names. Is there a way to get the comments corresponding to the referenced ranges (singular cells)? Thanks in advance, Tomek Set testrng = Range("A3:A4", "C3:C4") comment1 = testrng(1).Comment.Text .... commentn = testrng(n).Comment.Text Stefi „topola” ezt írta: > I have singular cells in different places referenced by their range > names. Is there a way to get the comments corresponding to the > referenced ranges (singular cells)? > Thanks in advance, > Tomek > > did yo...

Retrieving messages
Help, I mistakenly restored all the defaults on Outlook (the computer did not crash) losing all the messages and address book. I have had to set up the application from scratch entering account details etc. Question is: are all the messages and contacts still held on the computer even the program needs to be set up again and, if so, how do I retrieve them. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thanks. P89 If you made a backup of your system or My Documents, search for a file called Outlook.pst. If you have that you can import all the information. Al "peterson89" <peterson...

Retrieving lost messages after Synchronization in Outlook Express
Setup for my hotmail messages to be downloaded to Outlook Express. When tried to connect to see an old message, didn't realize that it was setup to auto synch. My messages were deleted from hotmail, and are now lost on Outlook Express after synching. Is there anyway to retrieve the lost messages from Outlook Express? I really needed some of the items in there, and had downloaded them so they wouldn't be lost. Thanks! ...

Retrieve
Hi how do i retrieve all the postings i have posted in this group. sometimes forget of where i posted my i will be glad to get to know how to pull out my own questions cheers Click on your name to view the profile...Then click 'Recent posts by this user' http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel.misc&p=1&tid=467a932d-65b6-4bb1-98e1-25def53a971a&mid=467a932d-65b6-4bb1-98e1-25def53a971a -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Amin" wrote: > Hi how ...

How to make Three Bars and one line with a second axis in EXCEL
I want to make a Chart in EXCEL such that I canhave three or more BARS and one Line..The line I want in a second axis. Let's say you have three series that you want for bars and one that you want plotted as a line. Create a bar chart using all 4 series. Select the series that you want to change to a line and right click on the series. You can change the chart type for the series at this point. I believe it will put it on a secondary axis automatically. "JAS123" wrote: > I want to make a Chart in EXCEL such that I canhave three or more BARS and > one Line..T...

Retrieving
Is there any way to retrieve how many web pages are opened by Internet Explorer, and what URLs are opened by it, from another process? I searched for IHTMLDocument5 and so on, however, I could't find any hint. Please reply. Thanks in advance. Regards, Hyun-jik Bae ...

Excel in multiple sessions
A collegue is attempting to access data using vlookup in a spreadsheet from a second spreadsheet which is opened in a separate session on his workstation. It appears that multiple sessions of excel can't 'see' each other. Collegue needs to have multiple sessions as he uses lots of spreadsheets with LOTS of formulas. Attempting to open these sheets in single session usually results in crashes and lost work. Does anyone out there know anything about this? Using Excel 2000 on Windows 2000 Professional sp4. Thanks =vlookup() worked ok for me--but by having the workbooks in separ...

No free/busy information could be retrieved
Recently migrated from 5.5 to exch2003, once the 5.5 machine was turned off, users free/busy information is not available, if the 5.5 machine is turned on it is available, does anyone know what I need to so that the information is available after 5.5 is turned off? -- Thanks Sounds like you forgot to re-home the System Public Folders (specifically the Free/Busy Public Folder) before turning the old server off. Follow the details in this article for a list of things you should do in order to retire the 5.5 server. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307917 - referen...

Delete Table
Delete Table I have a report bound to a table (made with a make-table query). I want to delete the table once the report is closed; I no longer need it. I can=92t delete the object, however, when the report closes because the report has the table locked and I don=92t see an unload event for the report. Any advice? Thanks, alex If SysCmd(acSysCmdGetObjectState, acReport, "rptYourReport") <> 0 Then DoCmd.Close acReport, "rptYourReport" End If Regards Kevin "alex" <sql_aid@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9192a8...

retrieving my questions
I am still learning how to use this system to it's fullest. How can I locate the questions I have asked in the past? Is there an easy way? -- Zunibear in Montana It depends upon how you are viewing this forum. If using Outlook Express, make sure your view is set for all messages. You could then sort by "From". If you don't want to loose the threaded response view, don't sort, but you probably have a copy of any post you did in the "Sent Items" folder in Outlook Express. Look there, find the one you are interested in, and scroll to that date in the f...