How do I reposition a column on an excel spreadsheet

I want to move column J with data over to become column B.  How to do this?

Select Col J. Right click>Cut
Select ColB. Right click>Insert Cut Cells

--
Jacob

"JonesALewis" wrote:

> I want to move column J with data over to become column B.  How to do this?
Jacob's was is a good way of doing it. Here is another. Highlight the column.
Hold down the Shift Key and Drag it to column B and Drop it. Note that when
you are holding the shift key and drag you get an I Beam to indicate where
you are about to drop the row. If you do not hold down the Shift key you do
not ge the I beam and instead XL shows you the column that you are about to
overwrite.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

> Select Col J. Right click>Cut
> Select ColB. Right click>Insert Cut Cells
>
> --
> Jacob
>

> "JonesALewis" wrote:
>
> > I want to move column J with data over to become column B.  How to do this?
Thanks Jim, I learned something new today.

rzink

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

> Jacob's was is a good way of doing it. Here is another. Highlight the column.
> Hold down the Shift Key and Drag it to column B and Drop it. Note that when
> you are holding the shift key and drag you get an I Beam to indicate where
> you are about to drop the row. If you do not hold down the Shift key you do
> not ge the I beam and instead XL shows you the column that you are about to
> overwrite.
> --
> HTH...
>
> Jim Thomlinson
>

> "Jacob Skaria" wrote:
>
> > Select Col J. Right click>Cut
> > Select ColB. Right click>Insert Cut Cells
> >
> > --
> > Jacob
> >

> > "JonesALewis" wrote:
> >
> > > I want to move column J with data over to become column B.  How to do this?

How do you locate External References in an Excel Workbook
How do you locate the cells which have an external reference? I have tried using the links function, but this only shows the files that are referenced, not the cells that relate to them. Thanks, If you're having trouble finding those links, you can use Bill Manville's FindLink program: http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm Iain wrote: > > How do you locate the cells which have an external reference? I have tried > using the links function, but this only shows the files that are referenced, > not the cells that relate to them. > > Thanks, -- Dave Peter...

Trying to copy text from 4 columns into 1 column with HTML?

save excel as *.csv file
I am trying to save an excel spreadsheet (Excel 2002) in *.csv format; I have made changes to the number format of a cell (decimal places changed from 2 to 4). I rec'v an error, and the changes are lost when I reopen the file as *.csv. Is there any work-around to this? -thanks, Vivian What was the error? >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to save an excel spreadsheet (Excel 2002) in >*.csv format; I have made changes to the number format of >a cell (decimal places changed from 2 to 4). I rec'v an >error, and the changes are lost when I reopen the file ...

from Excel to MS works ...
I wanted to run an amortization shareware application on my new XP ... but I don't have Excel ...closest is MS Works ... Anyway to make it work? Thanks for any tips ... Best Regards, Joe Hi Joe as you did not post the name of your shareware application - difficult/impossible to say - if this application is a stand-alone package it should work - if it relys on Excel you'll porbably need to buy Excel If this is a shareware application just try it out Frank Joe wrote: > I wanted to run an amortization shareware application on > my new XP ... but I don't have Excel ...c...

Count items in multiple columns
I have a document that has records, saved in rows. I would like to be able to count all the rows that have data enterend into column F and column G. One column is a number and the other is a text. F G 2) 11469 3) 114952 a4589 4) 11635 5) a9632 6) 1268 bdf93 In this sample I would like the value to return 2 because the record on line three and the record on line six both have entries. Thank you ahead for any help this is probably very simple and I am overlooking it in the other posts. -- Kevin98011 -----------------------...

Column Chart to Line Chart
Practice test for ECDL Office 2000 exam reads "Change the chart type to Line with markers displayed at each data value." Change to Line isn't a problem, but how do I display markers at each data value? -- Many Thanks Enquirer Hi Right Click on one of the data columns, Select Chart Type, Select Line Chart and then choose one of the types that have markers at each data point. HTH Michael "enquirer" wrote: > Practice test for ECDL Office 2000 exam reads > > "Change the chart type to Line with markers displayed at each data value." > &g...

Format a certain column
I would like to format a certain column, meaning for example the 5th column from the left to be seen. This should not automatically be the E-column!! If for example the B and C column are hidden, I want the format to be for the G-column. Does anybody have an idea how to do that?? Thanks, Teresa, By "format," you mean use a certain fill color, or something like that (the Excel meaning of "format")? If so, a macro will have to do it if columns are being hidden and unhidden, deleted and inserted, and the formatting must change dynamically. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smoke...

Compare two columns using loop.
Hi, Could you please help my create a loop which will compare each value in column A one by one with whole column B whether it contain value in column B and if yes the it picks up value from column C and put it to column D. Please see example. Please note the search must be able to find value which is included in string of the text like Peter must be finding in PeterIsGood. Example: A B C D Peter PeterIsGood T1 T1 Martin Test T2 N/A John Cool T3 N/A Oscar PeterIsGood T4 T1 Tom Tomknowall T5 T5 ...

insert number in column #2
I have a column with threedigits for telephone extensions. I want to insert a digit before the three throughout the column as the extension has been increased to 4 digits. Any easy way.../ Thanks. AFD One way: In a blank column (say column H), enter H1: =1 & A1 or, if you want them as numbers rather than text: H1: =1000+A1 copy down as far as necessary. Select the column and copy it. Select the original column and choose Edit/Paste Special/Values. In article <Om6vrJpEIHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, "afdmello" <afdmello@hotmail.com> wrote: &...

convert # of columns into a single column
Friends I have data in A1:Z10 This should be converted into a single column data Like, after A1:A10, B1:B10, C1:C10....so on from A1:A100 Thanks in advance Babu ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ With your data in A1:Z10, in cell A11 put the following formula and copy down:- =OFFSET($A$1,FLOOR((ROW()-11)/10,1),MOD(ROW()-11,10)) When done, simply copy the data and paste special as values. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft M...

number of columns in a customized Form
Hi, We need some times more than 3 columns in a row on a customized form, is this possible? has any one tried this out? any hint is highly appreciated. Regards not possible in the standard forms and not heard of any solution to increase the capability. ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Max.f FirstCity" <max.f@first-city.com> wrote in message news:e%23oXeStbGHA.1856@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > We need some times more than 3 columns in a row on a customized form, is > this possible? has any ...

excel vba problems
1.for excel VBA programming, how to get the row value and column value of an active cell ? 2. if XX="YYY" then XX=10, if XX="iii" then XX=8, if XX="ooo" the XX=5, if...... -------- How to shorten the uper express ? Hi 1. msgbox activecell.row msgbox activecell.column 2. As alternative select case XX "YYY": xx=10 "iii": xx=8 "ooo": xx=5 ... end select -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Martin" <lajitong888@21cn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:#trVx#TmEHA.3156@TK...

How can I add pounds and ounces in excel,
I need to keep a running total of weight, in pounds and ounces, for 12 months. I'd like to add 6.02 (6lbs 2ozs), 9.13 (9lbs 13 ounces)etc and be able to total 12 different numbers. How do I get the number to recognize 16ozs as 1 pound? Is there a better way? Agoo, One way is to put the pounds in one column (say A), and the ounces in another (say B). Sum them with: For the pounds: =INT(SUM(A2:A10) + SUM(B2:B10)/16) For the ounces: =MOD(SUM(A2:A10) + SUM(B2:B10)/16,1)*16 -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- &q...

Adding Columns #3
I have a spreadsheet with many columns, I need to add a new colum between each of the current columns, is there a quick way to do this o have i got to insert each new column individually -- Paul Sheppar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2478 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39085 You can do it two steps Select every other column, Ctrl-click every other column Insert>Columns Then Ctl-select every third column Insert>Colum...

one text column to several columns/table ?
Occasionally I would like to print the contents of a big folder onto one sheet of paper. ( TO scribble make notes etc. ) Often it's an entire folder so I type "dir /b > pix.txt". ( remember DOS ? ) That gets me all the filenames in one file that I open with Excel - and of course all the data is in column A. Anyway in Excel to easily convert that into "as many columns as it takes to print onto one sheet of paper" other than me doing some math to figure how many columns I'd like and then cut/paste into B, C , D etc ? Hi Bobb - is there a reason not ...

Want to buy just EXCEL 2003 not the entire microsoft office suite
Hello, > > I live in Toronto, Canada and want to upgrade from a microsoft works > version > spreadsheet to EXCEL 2003. How do I go about doing that. I did download > previously a free trial version of EXCEL but I don't remember the product > key. > > How do I go about purchasing EXCEL 2003 only and not the entire microsoft > offce suite? Can I buy a download and not the CD? -- Jeffrey Brown http://www.microsoft.com/office/excel/howtobuy/default.mspx Or find a third-party reseller http://shop.microsoft.com/helpdesk/reseller.asp The Microsoft Excel 2003...

Column Chart with 2 Axes
Is there a way to create a column chart with a secondary axis? I tried to use the Line-Column on 2 Axes custom chart type and to then change the Line series to a column, but I ended up with a stacked column rather than side-by- side columns. I'm trying to show absolute and rate data on the same graph. Jon Peltier has instructions on his web site: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html Jennifer Nieratko wrote: > Is there a way to create a column chart with a secondary > axis? I tried to use the Line-Column on 2 Axes custom > chart typ...

Summing one column based on date in another column
I desperately need help here. I have a spreadsheet that has sales price in one column and the date in another column. It will only add if the date is the month only i.e., January vs January 1, 2005. I need it to add by month based on all days within the month because that column has to have the actual date not just the month. For this example I'll assume date is in column A and amount is in column B: If you're just interested in a specific month (january) you could use this: =SUMPRODUCT(B1:B100,--(MONTH(A1:A100)=1)) Or, if you want to easily be able to change the month being...

Add up contents of column, if nothing in that column add up contents of other column
I'll try to explain this dilemma in simple terms: Code: -------------------- |---A---|---B---| |october|novembr| | beer | beer | | gin | beer | | beer | | | beer | gin | | gin | | | water | gin | -------------------- Basically, say I want to have a total of what was drunk most recently - so it will look in november, add up whats there, but if there is nothing in that column it will look down october and use whatever value is in that column, Thus I should get the following results: Beer = 3 Gin = 3 --- Message posted from http://ww...

Match/ Merge columns
I wrote a previous message, but I didn't know if it was clear. I am trying to take data from the months of March and April and merge them together to get one complete spreadsheet of each person's account for each month. Is there a way to do this? I have been sorting by ID# and doing the rest manually. A B C D 1 ACCT BAL 2 NAME ID # MARCH 3 ASHLEY 111-11-1111 88 4 BRIAN 222-22-2222 32 5 CARL 333-33-3333 48 6 DAVID 444-44-4444 92 7 EVAN 555-55-5555 25 8 FRANK 666-66-6666 108 9 11 ACCT BAL 12 NAME ID # APRIL ASHLEY 111-11-1111 100 BRAD 888-88-8888 28 CARL 3...

Column Chart Conditional Formatting
I have a column chart that compares 2 y values against a common x value. I want to compare the second y value to the first, if it is greater then make that bar green, if less then red, if same grey. Any ideas on how to go about this? Thanks Adam Bush You'll need to do this by manipulating the actual data. Setup 3 dummy series, first with a static value of 10. On the chart, format these green, red, and grey respectively. Now, go back and change the static values to formulas similar to this: =IF(B2>A2,B2,NA()) =IF(B2<A2,B2,NA()) =IF(B2=A2,B2,NA()) If ...

drop-down menus in Excel 2003 not working
I have made changes with my worksheet but now I can not access my drop down lists any more. I have cleared them then re-validated them, but nothing is showing - no arrow, no data. When checking the valadation, the data is correct but still nothing. I can insert drop downs in other work sheets within the same workbook and they do work so it seems to be an error with that one workpage. HELP!!!! Try "Open and Repair" in XL2003 (from a Bob Phillips' post) Click File > Open, navigate to folder, select the file, then click the arrow dropdown on the right of the "O...

Printing Excel Objects in Publisher 2002
I have copied objects from an excel work sheet into my Publisher file, but when I go to print the file the object prints the grid lines which were disabled in the original excel file am I doing something wrong. It is a flip/flop bug, with no fix. Some people have this issue, others don't - why? - nobody knows. Fortunately I don't. -- ...

Printing Excel Charts Pasted into Powerpoint
Often, our chart dates end up as blacked out areas on our HP Color LaserJet 5550dtn printer (not on our HP 1200 LaserJet). Any solution other than resizing fonts in Excel and pasting again? ...

How do I define column C so C(n) =A(n)+B(n)
I want to create a spreadsheet where some cell entries are mathematical functions of data in corresponding cells (same row) of other columns. For example, assume fixed data in columns A and B. In column C, I want C(1) to = A(1) + B(1) etc. Hi in C1 type =A1+B1 then move your cursor over the bottom right hand corner until you see a + (known as the autofill handle) hold the left mouse down and drag down the column as far as you need to go and let go, the formula will be filled in for you for each line Cheers julieD "S M Raucher" <S M Raucher@discussions.microsoft.com>...