How do I remove the sheet name from a named formula?

I would like to use the same name to refer to the same set of cells on
different worksheets:
   SheetTitle=$A$1
but  when I try this it reverts to
   SheetTitle=Sheet1!$A$1

Any ideas how to do it?

I could use =IF(,,,) if I knew how to look up the currently active sheet;
    =IF(SheetName="Sheet1",TRUE,FALSE)
Any ideas how to reference the name of the sheet?
0
gadget (5)

Well, you could do something like this:
SheetTitle=!$A$1
The exclamation point means that the Name will refer to A1 on the active
worksheet.
Excel uses the SheetName to tell things apart.
If I try to give to different A1's the same name ... how do I know which is
which? Excel answers this question by adding the SheetName.

tj

"Gadget" wrote:

> I would like to use the same name to refer to the same set of cells on
> different worksheets:
>    SheetTitle=$A$1
> but  when I try this it reverts to
>    SheetTitle=Sheet1!$A$1
>
> Any ideas how to do it?
>
> I could use =IF(,,,) if I knew how to look up the currently active sheet;
>     =IF(SheetName="Sheet1",TRUE,FALSE)
> Any ideas how to reference the name of the sheet?
0
tjtjjtjt (488)
11/19/2004 4:21:04 PM
I've read a few posts that say that this can cause trouble.  Charles Williams
says "There are serious Excel bugs that may give incorrect calculation results"
when using this.

His alternate suggestion is to use this in the Refers to box:
=INDIRECT("$A$1")

--

Dave Peterson
0

Font names disappeared!
I'm using Publisher 2002 and was experimenting with grouping objects. I also created a text box and wanted to change the text font. But when I clicked on the drop-down arrow, the font names were gone. The only thing that shows is something called Sildoulos IPA. The fonts are still "there" in the sense that I can click on a TrueType symbol and the font will change and the name appears in the box. But how do I restore the normal drop-down window that names the fonts? In Word, all the fonts are shown as usual. Any fixes? I've closed and opened Publisher several times a...

Remove Excel Icon ??

Help with a formula #2
Hi, I am trying to create a fairly simple formula where when the use enters a 3 digit country code such as CAN, excel automatically enters the part of the world that code is from. So basically I have 7 categories (South America, North America, Asia Pacific, South Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Africa with each having the relevent 3 digit codes assigned to them for example North America = USA, YYZ, RDU - the most has 25 codes) so when USA is entered, the following cell would enter South America. So two things I guess I need to do :- 1) Assign country codes to country regions 2) Use a for...

Removal

named ranges in conditional formating inside a pivottable
Hi (excel 2007) In my pivottable column k show revenue Column l show me the sales responsible. If the revenue is less than e.g. 1,000 I want the name in col I to be red. Using conditional formating I refer to the cell k13 (the upper cell i that column). I would prefer to name that cell "revenue", but I can not refer to "revenue" in the conditional formating. What do I do wrong ? Regards Peter I just did this in an ordinary sheet but it should work in a PT Select the Names to format and choose, Conditional Formatting, Choose Formula Is, (In 2...

Remove lines with +++

Payee name variation
While trying to fix a problem I find myself going through my list of Payee name variations and I find entries like: Check 2295 trace #2411538 Check 2296 trace #2411542 Check 2297 trace #2411551 And then an associated Payee. Is there any way to have Money 2005 exclude entries like this? In microsoft.public.money, Patrick Simonds wrote: >While trying to fix a problem I find myself going through my list of Payee >name variations and I find entries like: > >Check 2295 trace #2411538 >Check 2296 trace #2411542 >Check 2297 trace #2411551 > >And then an associated Pa...

Parse Suffix from Last Name Field
I have a last name field where the suffix like JR, SR, III, II, etc is part of the data. How can I parse the suffix and leave the last name? TIA On Fri, 7 May 2010 12:58:01 -0700, Bill B. <BillB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a last name field where the suffix like JR, SR, III, II, etc is part >of the data. How can I parse the suffix and leave the last name? TIA Not easily: what if you have LastName values like "de la Torre" or "von Beethoven"? You could use expressions like NewLast: Left(([lastname] & " ", InStr...

Docking Formula Builder
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I accidentally hid the formula bar that appears at the top of every training video. I can customize the toolbar to show a formula button, but every time that I try to dock the formula bar to the excel window (as shown in every video), it will not stay. How do I re-dock the formula builder to the excel window? Do I have to re-install the product. Please say no. <br> Thanks I see no call for reinstalling Office -- there rarely is -- but I'm not sure I'm clear on your issue. The Formula *Bar* & the Formula *Builder*...

How to Remove SRS

Need A formula in VBA ,Similar to NETWORKDAYS in excel
I would like to get only working days after excluding satuday and sunda and holidays. Holidays will be there in the range of sheet There is one formula in xls (NETWORKDAYS) , It would be appreciated i you can make it similar one. The format of NETWORKDAYS is NETWORKDAYS(STARTDATE,ENDDATE,HOLIDAY-RANGE) Regards Joph -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:03:12 -0600, jophy <<jophy.zycba@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: >I would like to get only working days after excluding satuday and sunday >and holidays. Holidays will be there in the rang...

Help with Avg. formula
Hi, I have an xl sheet like below, and hope someone can provide a formula to get this average. M T W T F ------------------------------- 50 33 daily avg needed here The part I am having trouble with is, If Monday and Tues have a value, but the rest of the week does not, I want the average to calculated for only the 2 days where there is data, not the average over the whole week. Could someone please help me with a formula for this??? thanks in advance....Bill bill If the other cells are blank, rather than 0s, the average will work...

remove Fax from address book?

Company Name in a Report
When I add a text box and use a control source of "Company Name", when I run the report it comes up as a "1". How do I get it to show the "Company Name". -- Denise B. Make sure the company name field that actually stores the company name is in the record source of the report. I expect you have mis-used a lookup field defined in your table. IMO, don't use this type of mis-feature. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Denise" wrote: > When I add a text box and use a control source of "Company Name", when I run ...

Help on how to select one formula from a list of formulae
Tricky question, not sure if it's possible withou the use of a macro. What I want to do is have a list of formula in a table, eg numbered 1 - 10. I then want a cell to be able to take one of these formulae, and apply it to figures local to it. I want to be able to alternate which formula is looked up dynamically. Vlookup doesnt work as the formula are imported exactly as-is. I cant get indirect working with this as it imports 'text' only. Anybody have any other ideas how to do this. Cheers for any help Not sure if I understand you correctly but it seems like something that the...

Removing an item from menu

Need to remove selected characters

Remove deduction code from payroll stub

How to Remove Yahoo toolbar

Calculating and locking the esult of a formula
I am creating a worksheet where fields are updated dynamically using a dde, once the result of a formula is calculated it brings about a certain condition in one other part of the sheet example: IF(AI91="LONG","L",IF(AJ91="SHORT","S","")) Since the fields that this formula observes are dynamically updated the condition might change, but since I am only interested in the first occurance i wanted to lock the result of the first time a calculation is done, is it possibile? Hi not possible with a formula. this would require an event pr...

Removing password protection on a sheet

Using Named Range in LOOKUP formula?
My LOOKUP formula currently reads: =((LOOKUP($I6,$A$2:$A$7,$D$2:$D$7)-J6)+(LOOKUP($I6,$A$2:$A$7,$G$2:$G $7))) I would like to change this so the ranges are columns in a Named Range. Something like: =((LOOKUP($I6,Range_Col1,Range_Col4)-J6)+ (LOOKUP($I6,Range_Col1,Range_Col7))) The range name will be selected in a drop-down (data validation) in another cell. So "Range_Col1" actually needs to be referenced from the value selected in K10. Can this be done with formulas? Or do I need a macro? Ed Assuming your named range refers to A1:G7 You can use an expression like this: INDEX...