How do I perform a Monte Carlo simulation in Excel?

0
Pires (1)

What a large topic. Can you be more specific?
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Pedro Fragoso Pires" <Pedro Fragoso Pires@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:F6B323BE-9992-4843-99D9-606632827B21@microsoft.com...

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
2/26/2005 7:10:20 PM
Pedro Fragoso Pires  -

Build some kind of spreadsheet model with some uncertain inputs and an
output that depends on those uncertain inputs.

If you want to only use Excel's built-in features, use RAND and
transformations of RAND to provide random values for the uncertain inputs.
Use Excel's Data Table command to recalculate inputs and collect
corresponding output values. Summarize the output values using Excel's
Descriptive Statistics and Histogram data analysis tools, or use Excel's
worksheet functions and Chart Wizard.

If you want to use an Excel add-in to handle most of those tasks (after you
have built your own model), you could try my RiskSim add-in, with tryout
version and manual available from the "Download Free Tryout" page at
www.treeplan.com.

Or, use Crystal Ball from www.crystalball.com or @Risk from
www.palisade.com.

-  Mike

www.mikemiddleton.com

0
middleton1 (108)

MS Excel
Hi, Does anybody know how to imitate the toolbars that are in Microsoft Excel (or other Microsoft products)? Excel's toolbars if they contain too many buttons to fit on the screen contain a drop down arrow (box) at the end of the toolbar that when pressed displays the buttons that were not able to fit on the screen. Is there any way of achieving or imitating that functionality through MFC? Thanks for your help in advance. TW ...

Excel 2007
The same Edit / Fill / Justify doesn't seem to work the same in 2007 as it does with XP when editing long text in a cell to fill below. Any suggestions? Can you provide an example of the problem you see? -- Jim "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1995B19-B8C6-4B8A-88B9-7C0BF7605776@microsoft.com... | The same Edit / Fill / Justify doesn't seem to work the same in 2007 as it | does with XP when editing long text in a cell to fill below. Any suggestions? ...

do u know about Excel tool that would convert figures into words
kindly let me know about a tool that converts figures into words in excel How to Convert a Numeric Value into English Words http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q140704&; -- Gary's Student "Jagesh" wrote: > kindly let me know about a tool that converts figures into words in excel > See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Jagesh" <Jagesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A95E4013-F5BF-46B6-9CBF-9536FA715164@microsoft.com......

vba macro to perform custom reporting -transpose from rows to columns
I have one workbook and two sheets 1 sheet has data for automated test scenarios that may be run up to 3 time if they don't pass on the first or second try Sheet1: TestSet Test Result reason if failed 1 pass 2 pass 3 pass 4 fail x 4 fail y 4 fail z I want to create a summary report that looks like Sheet2 for the Sheet1 logs above test run1 result test run2 result test run 3result Sheet2 Testset result1 result2 result3 1 pass 2 pass 3 pass 4 fail fail fail So if a testset is executed more ...

export access form into excel
Can you import an Access form into Excel? The form only contains text boxes and labels -- cedtech23 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cedtech23's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31022 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=563872 ...

performances
performances Hi, I am writing c++ application in vc++ 6 the application use a lot of cpu processing (math calculations), I am running the application on Win-XP, p-4 2.8 HT! What is the best way to compile my application so it will run faster? What are the best ways to write or build my application for faster running? What i the different betwine processor type Blend* inn the C/C++ tab of the project setting and the other option??? Thanks! "Dave" <dbg@012.net.il> wrote in message news:eY8jUE38EHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > performances > > Hi, > I am wr...

KB for Performance Optimizer trouble
In the process of moving EDB files from a crashed server to a new server built with same name, etc, but different platform (from NT to W2K Sp4) I found the Performance Optimizer would not allow me to move files to different volumes. A quick google search showed because of SP4 I needed to contact Microsoft for the patch but when I called they said I needed the KB article and I searched and searched and even none of the 'MVP' replies saying 'contact microsoft' had the KB number. After having the MS rep hold the line while I was scouring google and retrying the process to get the ...

Excel 2002 drives me nuts...
Hi, I have a problem which I cannot find any solution... I'm opening excel, opening files - so far, so good.. However, there are many times that when I'm closing an Excel document, the machine simply freezes for a while until I do ALT CTRL DEL, run task manager and kill excel (few times)... This is Office XP with all SP installed + updates, on Windows XP with all SP installed + updates... Suggestions please? Thanks, Hetz Hetz, Often, the behavior of one program is influenced by many others. Try booting into safe mode, and not running any other programs - antivirus programs ar...

Mobile Device with full Excel version
I'm wondering if there is a mobile device (ie handheld PC, etc. something smaller/cheaper than a laptop) that can run the full version of Excel? I am wanting to distribute an Excel file that has VBA code to some field personnel. Does Windows CE mandate Pocket Excel? ...

Exporting Query from Access 2007 to Excel 2007
I am trying to export an Access 2007 query into a pre-existing Excel 2007 workbook. I would like the query to overwrite the 1st page in the workbook, but it keeps creating a new page. I am exporting the data from query without the formatting. Any suggestions? Thanks. sup news group i need mails "AMW0830" <AMW0830@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D80A3288-8DAB-45D0-AD37-FCEE3CB4D142@microsoft.com... >I am trying to export an Access 2007 query into a pre-existing Excel 2007 > workbook. I would like the query to overwrite the 1st pag...

Business Contact Manager, performance sacrifices?
I'm hoping we can all learn a little about Business Contact Manager... After some initial difficulties that were resolved by 1.5 hours with Microsoft and some great ideas from Patricia Cardoza's new book, I've got Business Contact Manager running smoothly. That's a good thing because I provide support and training in Outlook to clients and want to be able to recommend this new add-on. But is it ready to recommend? Here are two things that seriously bother me: my contacts take so much longer to load and sort. Searching from the "Find a Contact" box formerly t...

More than 3 Conditional Formals
I have a spreadsheet for Scheduling Projects and one of the columns is to display the Project Status. Cells M21 to M120 are the cells which I would like to apply conditioonal formatting to depending on the status of the Project. Status is entered into the cell via a drop down menu (data validation). How do I write a piece of VBA code which willow me to format 7 conditions. The formats I would like for each status type are as follows Planned (no format required) Pre Work (Pale Blue Background, Black Bold Font) Workshop (Yellow Background, Black Bold Font) Post Workshop (Ligh...

Searching in Excel spreadsheet
Is there a way to change the shading of the found cell? When I do search, I cannot see the cell found as it is not shaded or distinguished in any way from the other cells. I have looked around but cannot find an option to change it so that I can actually see the result. Before you start your search click on the cell to the left of A and above 1 in the top left hand corner of the Worksheet. This should highlight the whole Worksheet. Now, when you do your search, your results will be much more clearly identified. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. ...

excel for tracking golf scores or handicap
Looking for a template for capturing my golf scores with note per hole ...

No text search from File|Open in Excel 2007?
I have recently made the switch from Excel97 to Excel 2007. I use an Excel based purchase order app and routinely had locate and open a saved purchase orders (.xls file) based on a text query. In Excel97 there was the capability to do a text search in the File|Open dialog box. Excel 2007 does not have the text search function. Must I now do text searches outside of Excel or is that capability hidden somewhere? BrianG <decclt@nogmailspamdotcom> wrote in news:800fc$4a3695da$d1a8c432$26391@EDELTACOM.COM: > I have recently made the switch from Excel97 to Excel 2007. I use a...

Perform function...if?
Hi I have a workbook that I'm continually adding data to daily. and I also have another workbook that I want to perform calculations, but I only want the calculations performed IF there is data in the first workbook... Here are the two formulas the way they are now... ='Stock Return Data'!J24*0.25 ='Stock Return Data'!J24-'Tax Data'!A14 How can I tell both these functions, to only perform if there is data on the original worksheet? Thanks, Confused Man Hi try =IF('Stock Return Data'!J24<>"",'Stock Return Data'!J24*0.25,"&...

E2K3 Performance
My E2K3 server is having an occasional lag time in processing and would like some ideas on where to look at improving performance. 2.4 Xeon processor 1.3 Gb RAM Lot's of disk space Page Files are c: 1920 - 4096 and d: the same (seems incorrect, maybe should be static value?) When checking the running system, CPU is at 4% and pagefile is at 1.64 Gb. It's a low use server, less than 100 mailboxes and a backend to OWA out front. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks. ...

Excel v. X for Mac: .CSV files
Hi there, I cannot seem to open any .csv files in Excel for Mac. I have trie translating the file using MacLink Deluxe but it is still no recognized by Excel. Also, when I try to translate using MacLink, it i initially recognizing the file as a "PC Text File" and there is n option in MacLink under Spreadsheet to convert to Excel X, only olde versions of Excel for Mac. Please help! Thank yo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

import 1000 webs to Explorer from Excel.
I need to import 1000 webs to Explorer from Excel 2000. I have 1 column with the URl and another with some comments.In Explorer 7, I import and doesnt recognize the XLS file with the URL´s (its not a HTML file). Will it import the column with the comments/type of web (its important, too)? Any suggestions? ...

Comparing Excel Files
Does anyone know about a Macro or Add-in that compares 2 Excel files/sheets in a similar manner to Compare in Word? Thanks. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Amr Tabbarah < wrote: > Does anyone know about a Macro or Add-in that compares 2 Excel > files/sheets in a similar manner to Compare in Word? One way is to save two sheets as CSV files and use Word to compare the CSV files. (It's awkward, but it gets the job done.) 1. One method I like is to make a third sheet to show differences an put a formula like this in all cells :- =Sheet1!A1-Sheet2!A1 ....for...

How to open Excel docs default with Excel 2007?
I had Office 2003 installed, then installed Office 2007 as well. The system was automatically configured then to open all Excel files (2003 or 2007) in Excel 2007. However, here at work they just did some Office 2003 update, and now XLS files are opening with Office 2003. If I go into Windows explorer and to file types and find XLS, when I browse to the office 12 directory and select EXCEL.EXE as the file used to open, it simply selects the "Microsoft Excel" that's already in the "Recommended Programs" section (at the top) of the "Which program to open the file wi...

How to transfer MP3 Tags to Excel
Hello, I'm wanting to transfer the details of MP3 files (eg. name, artist, album, year, etc) to an excel spreadsheet. At present I'm just copying the file names through Command Prompt but I thought there must be a way to capture the MP3 Tags to make a more detailed spreadsheet. Cheers. Jim Jim To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to this KB Article. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q272623& Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from..... http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/ I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate ...

Excel shift table
Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to create an excel template to do the following. I have 30+ employees working at a shop in a friend's company. He wants to create a template in excel to manage shift duties over a week. when the strength for a shift is given(for example, 8 people on monday morning shift), i want the duties be shared equally (not totally equally) among the staffs. lets say each employee is given a number like emp_Id. is it possible to create a shift timetable like this in excel? ANy help, guides and directions are welcome. Thanks voidmain -- voidmain -------...

iesample performance in CEPC is slow
I have created a CEPC by using Wince 6 and when i browse INTERNET the speed is very slow with compare to standard Windows 7 running X86 machine. (The test carried out in the same machine) . For both case i use the Internet Explorer to browse the net. Is there any method to improve the performance of IE sample browser. Huh? What hardware are you comparing to what hardware? You don't seriously expect a Windows 7 dual-core 3.3GHz processor running 4GB of RAM with a high-performance display chip/driver to be comparable to a 900MHz ATOM processor with 256MB of RAM and a VGA F...

Excel: Conditional Formatting
Dear sir, I found out it is very difficult to use the Conditional Formatting when I meet the case as following: Cell B2 contains a time:8:0AM and Cell B3 contains another time:10:00AM. My question is that in cell C1 which contains NOW() which is 9:00AM, and I want the cell C1 become red color when the time in C1 fall between B2 and B3. I found out that the Conditional Formatting has no such function at all. Can you advice? Many thanks, Wilchong -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/200902/1 Since NOW() returns *both* the DATE and TIME it...