How do I open a file with "too many different cell formats" messa.

I was recently sent a large excel file with several linked spreadsheets.  I
inserted one column of a simple formula (converting monthly to bi-weekly
rates) and printed the results.  I saved it as a 97-2000 workbook (extension
..xls).  When I try to retrieve it now, the message "too many different cell
formats" flashed on the screen and the file does not open.  How can I get it
to open and what should I do once it is open (assuming it can be done) to
prevent it from happening again?
0
Jaramya (2)

Hi
for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB
article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Jaramya" <Jaramya@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I was recently sent a large excel file with several linked
spreadsheets.  I
> inserted one column of a simple formula (converting monthly to
bi-weekly
> rates) and printed the results.  I saved it as a 97-2000 workbook
(extension
> .xls).  When I try to retrieve it now, the message "too many
different cell
> formats" flashed on the screen and the file does not open.  How can I
get it
> to open and what should I do once it is open (assuming it can be
done) to
> prevent it from happening again?

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/14/2004 8:31:00 PM
Thanks  for your response.  This will help me in the future, and I will make
sure I look for ways to simplify formats on files I receive.  The link did
not tell me how to retrieve a  file that is flashing the message instead of
opening.  Any ideas on that?

BR
jaramya

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

> Hi
> for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB
> article
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "Jaramya" <Jaramya@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > I was recently sent a large excel file with several linked
> spreadsheets.  I
> > inserted one column of a simple formula (converting monthly to
> bi-weekly
> > rates) and printed the results.  I saved it as a 97-2000 workbook
> (extension
> > .xls).  When I try to retrieve it now, the message "too many
> different cell
> > formats" flashed on the screen and the file does not open.  How can I
> get it
> > to open and what should I do once it is open (assuming it can be
> done) to
> > prevent it from happening again?

0
Jaramya (2)
10/14/2004 10:55:12 PM
Some people have said that OpenOffice can open these files with no problem.
(then fix/reduce the number of formats, save & close, and try opening in excel)

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

Jaramya wrote:

> I was recently sent a large excel file with several linked spreadsheets.  I
> inserted one column of a simple formula (converting monthly to bi-weekly
> rates) and printed the results.  I saved it as a 97-2000 workbook (extension
> .xls).  When I try to retrieve it now, the message "too many different cell
> formats" flashed on the screen and the file does not open.  How can I get it
> to open and what should I do once it is open (assuming it can be done) to
> prevent it from happening again?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

"Too many different cell formats" when opening file?????
How do I recover my file? When I try to open, I get, "Too many different cell formats". http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 http://www.vbapro.com/xl_formats.ht -- icestationzbr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- icestationzbra's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=458 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26156 ...

Unable to open a 82 KB XLSM file due to "Too many different cell formats" & "Converter failed to open the file." errors.
Hello. I received a 82 KB XLSM (macro version?) file from a colleague. I tried to open it in my updated (as of last Tuesday) MS Office 2003 Pro. SP3, with its compatibilty pack. Excel Office SP3 (v11.8302.8221 SP3) failed to open it. When opening it, I saw "File conversion in progress" dialog box for a second, "Too many different cell formats" twice, and then "Converter failed to open the file." I asked another coworker who had old Office 2003 (not updated) and the compatbility pack. She got the same errors BUT was able to see the read the contents unlik...

Too many different cell formats.
Is it possible to open an Excel spreadsheet that only displays the message: "Too many different cell formats" ? Thomas, I have never seen it. My guess is NO. But I am not positive. Regards, Kevin "Thomas" <thornedo@roperasw.com> wrote in message news:01e501c399a3$bcee5200$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to open an Excel spreadsheet that only > displays the message: "Too many different cell formats" ? > Previous post from Dave McRitchie in response to a similar question:- Hi Stefan, Formatting is not going to result in data loss. Fo...

"Too many different cell formats" is preventing file from opening
An Excel 2000 workbook saved successfully but when attempting to open it again I receive the message, "Too many different cell formats." I have since learned that a maximum of 4000 format combinations are allowed in a workbook. I've also learned how to correct the problem. Unfortunately, Microsoft's instructions don't address how to get the file to open in order to carry out the corrective actions necessary. Any ideas about getting the file open? A recent post from Dave Peterson on this subject.......... Saved from a previous post: XL: Error Message: Too Ma...

Error Message "Too many different cell formats"
How can you recover an Excel workbook, with the error message "Too many different cell formats? The last time I had to do this, I opened the workbook and select complete columns and gave them vanilla formatting. Sometimes, xl would yell and not do the whole column. I'd have to save the workbook, close it, and reopen it and keep going. It was boring, but it finally worked. I've read that openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org, a 50 meg download or a CD) is more forgiving. Maybe you can open a copy of your workbook in that application and fix your formatting. Then see what ...

Error: "too many different cell formats"
I am working with a large model (25MBs) and when I try to make formatting changes I have started to get the error message: Error: "too many different cell formats" What is causing this? Is there a quick fix? The Microsoft support site discusses this error here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 I encountered this error on a large spreadsheet that I inherited from another user, who had a number of "back office" or "overhead" tabs hidden in the sheet. Even though these sheets were for VLOOKUP purposes and the user never saw them, t...

can not open excel file, too many different cell formats
can not open a specific excel file, too many different cell formats message appears on my screen. the file contians about 85 work sheets Some info: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904 A few people have posted that they could open the file in OpenOffice, then remove some of the formatting, save it and then excel would open that file ok. http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD Abdur wrote: > > can not open a specific excel file, too many different cell formats message > appears on my screen. the ...

cannot load excel file
When trying to load an excel file it will not allow me to open it and shows the message in a separate window " too many different cell formats". I am led to believe (after a bit of investigation) that the file is now too large and needs to be slimmed down. This is fine, but I need to be able to open it first! Is there a way to open this file? Please help. This spreadsheet is important to me. Thank you. A page format is a combination of upper/lower/left/right border, font color, interior color, number format. All the more reason to format large areas all at the same time i...

Too Many Different Cell Formats?
In a worksheet, when i attempt to save or do something, such as print it says "Too Many Different Cell Formats". I have looked o support.microsoft.com and came up with KB article 213904, pertaining t the 4000 different combinations of cell formats. my worksheet has wel under that amount. Any ideas? is there a way to show the amount o different cell formats in order to count? thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Sascotek, sometimes i've met with this problem. As I figured out, there was two possible cause of these alerts. one, when you put more than 15 cha...

Error message opening a file due to too many different cell formats
What can be done to fix this problem? There are 63 sheets in this workbook. There has been a lot of copying and pasting. Now the workbook won't open because there are too many different cell formats. Hi for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 Though I'm not sure it will help if you can't open your file anymore -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany lc wrote: > What can be done to fix this problem? There are 63 sheets > in this workbook. There has been a lot of co...

How do I open a file with "too many different cell formats" messa.
I was recently sent a large excel file with several linked spreadsheets. I inserted one column of a simple formula (converting monthly to bi-weekly rates) and printed the results. I saved it as a 97-2000 workbook (extension ..xls). When I try to retrieve it now, the message "too many different cell formats" flashed on the screen and the file does not open. How can I get it to open and what should I do once it is open (assuming it can be done) to prevent it from happening again? Hi for dealing with too many cell formats have a look at the following KB article http://support...

Can't open doc. Too many different cell formats.
I am working on creating a spreadsheet. It contains a lot of conditional format as well as cell formats. I went to change a cell background color and a message came up that said "Too many different cell formats" and would not let me proceed. I closed the document and then tried to reopen it and now I can't get my document to open. I would revert to a previous saved point if I could get to it but I can't. I need help from those gurus out there. Some info: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904 A few...

Too many different cell formats #8
I have a huge model created in Excel and have to make many more enhancements and additions to it. When I try to re-format a section with any type of format option, I get the error: "Too many different cell formats" and Excel won't allow any changes. Does Excel really have a limit as to the number of formats it can have in a workbook? I've even tried clearing ALL formats on each and every tab and then trying to re-format and get the same error. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix it? "=?Utf-8?B?cmViMjQ=?=" <reb24@discussions.microso...

Too Many Different Cell Formats!
Has anyone ever gotten this message? I have a large spreadsheet. I keep adding more info and change a format like maybe text color and this message pops up, "Too Many Different Cell Formats!" It has shut down excel on me at the worst or just stopped me changing the format at the least. Copying part of the sheet to a new workbook just copies over the problem. Is there any way to stop this, or reduce the number of formats? Starting over is not an easy option. I have run across this problem in the past. Unfortunately, excell has a limitation as to how much formatting...

Too many different cell formats!
This error occcurs when i add some worksheets to a workbook from another one. I am not completely sure (cos this is not my work actually) but it seems to me that there is not really too much (about 4000?) "different" cell formats in the workbook, but there is a quite lot amount of drawing objects (grouped technical drwaings plus autocad objects which i also converted them to bitmaps to overcome the error). I also dont understand the restriction: If i have 3999 cells formatted "bold" and another 2 formatted "underlined" this should not count 4001. True? My workb...

Too many different cell formats #10
Dear All I have a quite big excel and i am trying to make some changes in format and i receive the message "Too many different cell format" Probably i have many different cell formats. From where i can set up the format in order to know what must be the format of the excel file? I need away to identify the format from all sheets in order to give to the all sheets as common format as i can. Any ideas? ...

Excel: too many different cell formats
I am plagued by this error in a large multi-paged workbook in Excel 2000. Is there a workaround? Will a later version have a better tolerance? Check out this Jack XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Jack" <Hig...

Recover .xls file with "Too many different cell formats" error
I have an Excel file with over 20 different worksheets that link to each other, and most of their cells are formated. When I was formating one of the worksheets I received the "Too many different cell formats" error, and from that point, anytime I try to open the file I receive this same error message. File recovery is not working, because it removes the formatting, and formulas. Any suggestions? Thanks Saved from a previous post: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=213904 And if you ever have trouble opening t...

Does anyone know a way around this error other than to start over and reformat? I think you have two choices - either clear ranges of cells of their formats or upgrade to Excel 2007, which has a greater limit on the number of formats. -- Jim "Gene" <genemont@spircomfg.com> wrote in message news:jb2dnZOUOdFqjCrVnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@posted.webnetmemphis... | Does anyone know a way around this error other than to start over and | reformat? | | ...

Too many different cell formats
Recently, while working with a large Excel 2000 workbook, I encountered an error. The error read "Too many different cell formats." After clicking "OK" I saved and closed the workbook. Unfortunately, now, my workbook will not open!!! Microsoft's fix posted on their website is to reduce the file formats in the workbook. However, once you've closed the workbook, it is impossible to open it again. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem. My last backup file is over two weeks old!!! Thanks, Mike It may be possible to deal with this but I would nee...

Error: Too many different cell formats
Hi, Today I got a strange error with my workbook. When I opened my workbook in excel 2007 I lost all of my cell formats. When I opened the same workbook using Excel 2003 I got an exception with message "Too many different cell formats". I realized that the exception will be thrown if the workbook has more than 4000 unique cell formats. But I am sure I don't have those many cell formats in my workbook. I really need to get my cell format back. Is there any way to get the cell/sheet format? I don't mind if I lose some of the cell formats during my recovery process. Any h...

too many different cell formats in excel
Can't insert row on excel due to above error. How do I fix it? Any ideals? The version is 2002. Check out this jassy XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "jassy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Too many different cell formats #9
Dear All I have a quite big excel and i am trying to make some changes in format and i receive the message "Too many different cell format" Probably i have many different cell formats. From where i can set up the format in order to know what must be the format of the excel file? I need away to identify the format from all sheets in order to give to the all sheets as common format as i can. Any ideas? Hi Manos, Some notes on "Too many different cell formats" see http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm#formats In the MS KB article it mentions using bord...

too many different cell formats #7
This question has been aske before and no one seems to answer it. Either no one knows or I guess it's not possible. Either way someone please respond. I get this error message when trying to open a workbook, Is there any way to open the workbook??? I have done so much reading about how to reduce the formats within the workbook to get rid of this error message, but no where is it written on how to open a workbook with this problem. Is there a way, please respond soon. Thanks. It may be that the lack of response indicates that nobody knows how to open it. I sure don't. ...

Too many different cell formats #6