How do I move data without changing an associated formula?

I have created an Excel worksheet which I update with new values each day
(golf scores).  I keep the last 10 scores but want an average of the last 5
scores.  How can I move the data one column to the left and not change the
averaging formula so that when I post the new score it still uses the
original formula (sum of G5 to K5 devided by 5).
0
N (28)

If you put a "$" before any cell reference, it will "freeze" the formula
value.  So, if your formula references cell G5, you can use $G5 to freeze
the column or G$5 to freeze the row or $G$5 to freeze the entire cell
reference.

"Al N" <Al N@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have created an Excel worksheet which I update with new values each day
(golf scores).  I keep the last 10 scores but want an average of the last 5
scores.  How can I move the data one column to the left and not change the
averaging formula so that when I post the new score it still uses the
original formula (sum of G5 to K5 devided by 5).

0
karlspam (74)
5/3/2005 5:32:25 AM
I would suggest that you not move (cut/paste) the data since the formulas
will follow it regardless if whether the formulas are absolute or relative.
I'd do a copy/paste and then clear the last column K for the new entries.

You can also use a formula that indirectly references the range to the left
so that it does not adjust when you cut/paste.  For instance this formula
when placed in cell I8: =SUM(OFFSET(I8,0,-3,1,3))

--
Jim
"Al N" <Al N@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have created an Excel worksheet which I update with new values each day
| (golf scores).  I keep the last 10 scores but want an average of the last
5
| scores.  How can I move the data one column to the left and not change the
| averaging formula so that when I post the new score it still uses the
| original formula (sum of G5 to K5 devided by 5).

0
jrrech (1933)
5/3/2005 10:41:06 AM
Thanks.  The copy/paste does what I wanted.  I should have thought of it. As
you said, I had already tried the absolute values, but they moved also moved
with the cut/paste.

Al N

"Jim Rech" wrote:

> I would suggest that you not move (cut/paste) the data since the formulas
> will follow it regardless if whether the formulas are absolute or relative.
> I'd do a copy/paste and then clear the last column K for the new entries.
>
> You can also use a formula that indirectly references the range to the left
> so that it does not adjust when you cut/paste.  For instance this formula
> when placed in cell I8: =SUM(OFFSET(I8,0,-3,1,3))
>
> --
> Jim
> "Al N" <Al N@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I have created an Excel worksheet which I update with new values each day
> | (golf scores).  I keep the last 10 scores but want an average of the last
> 5
> | scores.  How can I move the data one column to the left and not change the
> | averaging formula so that when I post the new score it still uses the
> | original formula (sum of G5 to K5 devided by 5).

0
N (28)

space between y axis and data points..
I have a line graph with markers, and am plotting 7 pre-post (x axis) lines on a y axis of 1 to 100. By default, the "pre" points were plotted right on the y axis and the post points were all the way at the right end of the plot area. I checked "Value (y) axis crosses between categories", and this moves the pre (and post) towards the middle of the plot area, so that the points are now plotted to the right of the y axis. My question is, can I adjust the space between the y axis and where the "pre" data points are plotted? As they are now, there is too much of a g...

Moving license to a new computer

Conditional formats unexpectedly changing
I think we may have discovered a rare anomaly or program bug in Excel 2007. If we create a conditional format that includes a custom format and then delete another (totally different) custom format, the custom format assigned to the conditional format will change. The change usually represents a shift to one of the custom formats that was next to the deleted format. Does anyone have information on this anomaly? Can you give details of the data and the formatting? Is it 2007 or an earlier version? -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my...

Bring filtered data from another file
I have a Birthdays file I have a Calendar file After each date in this calendar file I have 4 empty lines (assumption: max 4 birthdays on the same day) 15.01.2010 ......... ......... ......... ......... 16.01.2010 ......... ......... ......... ......... How can I bring the names for each date from the Birthdays file. Thanks and regards, CousinExcel ...

How do I print grid lines in a spreadsheet if no data is entered .
I am trying to create a form and need to print the grid lines as a part of the form. Others will use this form and make pencil entries in the cells which will be entered into the spreadsheet at a later date. How do I do this? I am using Office 2003. Many thanks---Justaone Just File>Page Setup>Sheet. Check "gridlines" and make sure "draft quality" is not checked. May be easier and more readable to have borders around just those cells that will be pencil-entered. If you go that route, uncheck "gridlines" in Page Setup. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 2...

Safe to Move?

Conv Access 97->2000-Gets a method or data member not found error
For the following code which compiles and runs successfully in MS Access 97, when converting to MS Access 2000 the following compile error occurs "Method or data member not found." for the line below. tempID = rs.[UserID] UserID is a field in the tblSecurity table. It seems that the tblSecurity table is not opening in MS Access 2000 since this error will occur using any field, not just UserID. This error does not occur in MS Access 97. PLEASE HELP. The routine is displayed below. Sincerely thanks, Phil ------------------ CODE - Shown Below ------------------ Private Sub...

Moving Exchange 2000

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

made sheet , cant get back to data!
I made a graphic "sheet" and now the graph seems to Own the world; I can see the 'source data' but I cannot get back to the original data so I can sort it before making the chart. Ack! Rick Merrill wrote: > I made a graphic "sheet" and now the graph seems > to Own the world; I can see the 'source data' but > I cannot get back to the original data so I can > sort it before making the chart. Ah ha! I turned it into a piece of the original sheet and now I can sort the data! ...

Moving Pages between two publications

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

File Save although no changes were made
Hello, I use Excel 2003 and use a spreadsheet that always prompts me to 'save file' upon closing it even though I have not made any changes to it. I did not find any =today() or =now() formulae. Can any one help, please? Thanks hvgmxx There are more volatile functions then the 2 you mentioned. There's "Indirect" and "Offset" just to name a couple more. Also, XL will try to save "older" versions of WSs, when opened in a newer version. -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Grou...

Importing Data Files
Hey all, I have recently had to undergo a clean install of Windows XP onto a new Computer, and am having trouble importing all my MS Outlook XP data into XP (from 98SE). Thanks, -- Daniel Becroft ; ================================= "Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are so long they can't afford the disk space." "Blue sparks and white smoke, the two most expensive components of any electrical system, and once used up will cost a fortune to replace." What is the exact issue? You can connect to the file by File -> Open -> ...

Does Excel data merge with .mrg documents?
I run a database for my company, and always have a difficult (read - lots of hand typing) time getting my .mrg data doc to merge with Excel. Most times Exel will have all the data in one cell (making it impossible to sort), or not come through at all. Is it just me, or does Excel not work well with this kind of document. ...

How do I change default user name for all Excel Files?
Attempting SSconsolidation ex Tools-->Options, User Info tab. You may need to do it from Word, depending on your version...which is why including your version is always helpful. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "miriamfox" <miriamfox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0889E47B-E1C6-4F3B-B6D5-8AF5405AA92C@microsoft.com... > Attempting SSconsolidation ex ...

Changing MS defaults for CPropertySheet Tab Tooltip
Dear MFC community: I am a developer working on an MFC application using property sheets. I have added tooltip functionality for the property sheets by deriving both CPropertySheet and CPropertyPage. The application I am working on needs customization with multilined tooltips and at least 200 characters supported. I have successfully implemented this strategy for the tooltips on the controls themselves inside each property page. However, I am not able to change the MS defaults of one line and 80 characters limit for the tab headers of the property sheet. Please find below the code that cr...

data in queries
Hi! From a dataset I retrieve customer names and the products they have purchased: client name product name client 1 product a client 1 product b client 1 product c client 2 product b client 2 product d client 3 product a client 3 product e No problem. But how can I avoid the repetitions in the ClientName column: client name product name client 1 product a product b product c client 2 product b product d client 3 product a product e In Query View. I think in a Report this is done through Group By? Thanks ...

MS Application Data Files and References are slow
When I try to reference a file, either open or save, the file system responds very very slowly. In fact, it seems to not take any action to start the process of accessing a file or folder unless I click in whitespace AFTER clicking on the folder. Even clicking on the dropdown to move up or down the directory tree is slow. This seems to be only true for MS applications. The complete file system had been slow until "Automatically search for network folders and printers" was unchecked in folder options. Once this was checked the file system respondes as expected, rapi...