How do I merge two columns without losing data?

If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column
feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the
merge?
0
Caseybay (3)

One way

=CONCATENATE(A1,B1)

Ian
---

"Caseybay" <Caseybay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column
> feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the
> merge?

0
me1 (409)
7/14/2005 4:33:23 PM
=a1&b1
or
=a1&" "&b1

(use a helper column of formulas.)

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> =a1&b1
> or
> =a1&" "&b1
>
> (use a helper column of formulas.)
>
> Caseybay wrote:
> >
> > If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column
> > feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the
> > merge?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Urbie (1)
1/13/2006 8:46:03 PM
Urbie

Copy>Paste Special>Values>OK>Esc.

Then delete the original columns.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:46:03 -0800, "Urbie" <Urbie@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>this worked fine - however, if i delete the original columns i get an error
>that the reference data is gone.....and i only want to work with the new
>column i tried copying and pasting to new worksheet but that didn't work
>either. what to do?
>
>"Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
>> =a1&b1
>> or
>> =a1&" "&b1
>>
>> (use a helper column of formulas.)
>>
>> Caseybay wrote:
>> >
>> > If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column
>> > feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the
>> > merge?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

0
Gord

transferring outlook data #2
When transferring calendar outlook data, the start and stop times are exactly 3 hrs earlier. Both computers have 2002 ver. 10.0. A little help on how to correct this would be appreciated. Thanks Mitchell J <bamisky@aol.com> wrote: > When transferring calendar outlook data, the start and > stop times are exactly 3 hrs earlier. Both computers > have 2002 ver. 10.0. Sounds like a time zone conflict between the Calendar and Windows. -- Brian Tillman ...

when I shade my columns I lose my grid lines
I have recently upgraded to office 07. My old excel when I shaded a column I didn't lose my grid lines. with 07 when I shade a column I lose my grid line on my spread sheet and in printing. That is not an 07 issue. Grid lines disapear in all version of XL when cells are shaded. You can add borders if you want lines around the cells. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "nita" wrote: > I have recently upgraded to office 07. My old excel when I shaded a column I > didn't lose my grid lines. with 07 when I shade a column I lose my grid line > on my spr...

two lists
I have two lists in separate worksheets. The data is almost identical. There is a column for ID and a column for a post code. I need to be able to put all the data into one sheet with three columns. One will list the the IDs and the others will put the two postcodes next to each other. Unfortunately, some IDs only appear in one sheet, some in the other and some are in both. So I will have some records complete and some partial complete. I have tried to use a look-up but I have confused myself. help! bazblazer, I'm not sure I've actually heard a question. I've made an example. ...

change insert point without scroll bar
I need to move the insert point from where it is to page 11 of the same document with out using the scroll bar or page up or down. How can I do that? F5 (or Ctrl + G depending on your version of Word) opens the Go To dialog box. Type 11, then Enter. Tab key to the Close button, then hit Enter. Cheryl On Jan 15, 9:46=A0am, Pat Liston <Pat Lis...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to move the insert point from where it is to page 11 of the same > document with out using the scroll bar or page up or down. =A0How can I d= o > that? Ctrl+G and enter...

How to get two different grouped pivot tables from the same data table?
Hi, I have one data sheet that looks like this: Date Value (=80) 2008-02-01 450 .. .. .. 2009-06-03 From the data sheet (Data) I have created a pivot table grouped by months and years (Pivot 1) with the sum of value. That is no problem. But later when I create one more sheet where I want the data to be grouped by weeks (Pivot 2) the grouping changes in Pivot 1 to weeks too. Does anyone know how to get around this? How can you get for example get one pivot graph showing the sum per week and one per month in the same Excel file using grouping on...

merging
Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is a certificate) and then merge the desired information from a select querry in access? Hi Tina (sttpreston@clyde.k12.oh.us), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is it possible to create a document in publisher (mine is || a certificate) and then merge the desired information from || a select querry in access? Yes, you can. Which version of Publisher and Windows are you using? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Office Publisher MVP Official Publisher MVP Site: http://www.kvalheim.org This posting is provided "AS IS" wit...

Convert Column to Row
I have a table: ID Price Quantitiy 1 1.00 2 I would like to convert the original table to something like this: This is a small sample of a much larger table. ID Measure Data 1 Price 1.00 1 Quantity 2 "banker123" <bradbrockman@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4ecb0cac-74ef-4cd5-b0ec-c42813b3709e@v17g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... >I have a table: > > ID Price Quantitiy > 1 1.00 2 > > > I would like to convert the original table to something like this: > This is a small sample of a mu...

Copying columns from webpage
I'm trying to copy columns from an IE webpage and paste into Excel 97. When I do that, all of the info pastes in Column A and I need to use the "Text to Columns" feature to spread the info out into the correct columns. I've tried pasting it as "Text" and that doesn't seem to work. This only happens periodically, it worked fine yesterday. Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks! Once you have done Text to Columns once on data like that, Excel seems to remember what you have done and repeat it for you when you paste in new data. You might also want to cons...

Merge same transaction
I've had transactions that I've placed in my register with detailed info in the memo area only to have the same exact transaction download with no info and unrecognized as the same transaction. Traditionally I've copied and pasted the info into the downloaded transaction and then deleted my transaction. This is a real PAIN... Is there a way to tell Money that these two separate transactions are the SAME transaction and then have it merge them? It works exactly as intended when Money recognizes the transaction that's already in the register and then merges them beautiful...

Word mail merge

Accessing two tables from a single mfc application
Hi, I need to know how to access two tables using a single mfc(vc++) application. I also need to know how to extract data from a table using an mfc application using a primary key in a table.It is very important that I get answers for these two questions as this is part of my final year college project and I have very little time to complete this. Please Help! Thanks, Satish. "Satish Chandrasekar" <yourdisplayname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0D7EC0A-18C3-4375-B5A5-AFDB1AB2F577@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I need to know how to access two tab...

How can I run two powerpoint sessions?
I want to compare two power point presentations on a system with two monitors. Each monitor would have a powerpoint session running so that I could see them side by side. I do not want to run both power point presentation in one session as this, even when maximised only fills one monitor and there is no enough screen space to see the two presentatiosn side by side. This is easily done in both Word and Excell simply by starting a new sessin when the firts one ins minimused. But I cant seem toget Power point to follow suite. With the first presentation minimized, Hold down the ...

How do I use 2 sets of data in a chart
both sets of data are in the same workbook, but on two different worksheets. Hi, Have read of Jon's page http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html Cheers Andy Skeety wrote: > both sets of data are in the same workbook, but on two different worksheets. -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Merging 2 Companies into 1
Are there any guidelines or outline for what tables you need to look at to gather the various information you need in order to merge 2 companies together as well as issues to consider when undertaking such a project? It is a project and a half. I got approval from a major client yesterday to proceed with just this project. You literally need to look at all of them! I understand that MS Professional Services will do this project for you. In my case the client cannot be down and has too many 3rd party products for us to pass it off. When does your project need to be completed? -- Ri...

adding data from multiple spreadsheets into one chart
I need to put information from 4 different spreadsheets into one graph. Can someone please help me? Produce a graph from your first spreadsheet. Copy the relevant data range from the second spreadsheet, then select the graph and edit/ paste special/ new series or new data points. Similarly for the third and fourth sheets. If you have difficulties getting exactly what you want that way, you can use edit Source Data in the graph to add an extra series or to change the X or Y data range for an existing sreries. -- David Biddulph "Marjory" <Marjory@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

mail merge/merging 2 address lists...
Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different in each and some the same. Thank you. Robin Hi Robin (vicary@kconline.com.NOSPAM), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || Is there a way to merge two of your address lists in Publisher 2002? || I have two address lists in my data base folder and would like all || the addresses merged into one as there are some addresses different || in each and some the same. No, you cannot. You nee...

Split "Firstname Lastname" text box into two columns, Multiple Aut
Hello, I've got a bibliography data base I'm trying to set up and would like to enter a name, "John Smith" into my form and have it add an entry into my Authors table as Column 1 - John, Column 2, Smith. Also, there are sometimes mulitple authors on any given paper. How can I enter mulitple authors for the same paper? Below is the VBA, SQL code I've been trying to work from. I get an error, "Number of query values and destination fields are not the same" when I try to run it. But it still would 't solve the mulitple author problem even if it wo...

Gather data from several workbooks.
Hello all, I know this is probably an easy fix, but I'm at a loss as to how to do it. I've copied the two Macro's in question at the bottom of this email. I have a number of (Source) spreadsheets/workbooks and they all have a tab called "today". I have a separate (Destination) spreadsheet/workbook with a macro (primarily written by Nikos Yannacopoulos from this newsgroup) called Process_All_Workbooks. That spreadsheet/workbook is called "Update". The Process_All_Workbooks Macro will call another macro and run it on all spreadsheets/workbooks in a folder ...

Why I get always two shortcuts for one "Create Shortcut" request?
I only request one desktop shortcut of a web page I like, yet I end up with two though only one of them works. The other one has only a General tab, without the Web Document tab and URL. I only noticed this recently. ...

merge and compare
We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. Is there any hope??? jimired wrote: > We have two versions of the same work sheet from differnt dates. > > Some of the cells have been changed in the latest version and we need > to compare which cells have had changes and selectively merge the two. > > Is there any hope??? Hi have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/Zips/Compare.ZIP An add-in which compares two worksh...

Can I overlap only two of four data series in Excel Column Chart?
I'm trying to show a range on two of the four data series. Currently if I selected data series and overlap then it will overlap all four data series. Perhaps you want a stacked column chart. The bottom value in the stack would be the minimum value of the range, and the top would be the max minus the min. Format the bottom element to hide it (no border, no area fill), and the remaining stacked item floats from the bottom to the top of the range. Check the link below for more information. Floating column charts: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FloatingColumns.html - Jon ----...

How can I get bar codes w/ Excel & mail merge?
I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of money. Can you help? >-----Original Message----- >I want to send out a bulk mailing with large postcards. I want the addresses >printed on the postcards via mail merge. I am using Excel, but don't see >where or how to add the bar code to the address, which would save me a lot of >money. Can you help? >. > hi, I not entirely...

Any way to shift data axes?
Helo all, I am having problems getting some data into the format I need. I'm wondering if this is even possible actually. I'm sure it is, but I'd prefer to keep things simple. Data is coming in from a linked Excel table in a format like the following MRC VEH 1 2 3 4 5 101 AAA 12 34 56 78 90 101 BBB 12 34 56 78 90 101 CCC 12 34 56 78 90 102 AAA 12 34 56 78 90 102 BBB 12 34 56 78 90 102 CCC 12 34 56 78 90 103 etc... MRC and VEH denote the cost centre and vehicle types. For those combinati...

Adjusting column width doesn't Wrap the text
I have users that need to type in text into cells in Excel but the wrap text within the cells doesn't seem to work properly. On what way? Have you turned it on under format>cells>alignment and wrap text. To force it w/o applying text wrap change lines using alt + enter -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Duke" <duke@fpwk.com> wrote in message news:2948401c39197$96eb0620$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have users that need to type in text into cells in Excel > but the wrap text within the cells doesn't seem to work > properly. Yikes! I am turning into DP! [In wh...

formula for adding / subtracting two columns .
Can't find formula to add or subtract two or three entire columns in a spread sheet Thank you Let's say we have numbers in two columns, column A and column B from rows 1 thru 100. In C1, enter: =A1+B1 and copy down thru C100 Column C will be the sum of columns A & B. To get the grand sum of columns A & B in a single cell, enter in an un-used cell: =SUM(A1:B100) -- Gary''s Student "jm" wrote: > Can't find formula to add or subtract two or three entire columns in a spread > sheet > Thank you Hi Try something like: =SUM(A:A)-SUM(B:B)-S...