How do I match words in Column A and C in Excel 2003

I want to do a comparison on my excel sheet. I have 4 columns and I need to
compare the single words in column A to match the single words in column C
and the single word in Column D on the respective row. Is there a formula to
do this?

eg it starts like

1     Dog      Tail       Bird    Tweetypie
2     Cat       Tail       Dog    Rover
3     Bird      Feather Cat      Tom

but ends up looking like

1      Dog      Tail       Dog       Rover
2      Cat       Tail       Cat    Tom
3      Bird       Feather Bird     Tweetypie

I have looked at vlookups to be honest dont fully understand what is being
said, so if anyone can help explain it even plainer or another way to do it
that would be superb

thanks
0
James6891 (359)

Hi
have you tried to sort both range separately by column a and C
respectively?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I want to do a comparison on my excel sheet. I have 4 columns and I
need to
> compare the single words in column A to match the single words in
column C
> and the single word in Column D on the respective row. Is there a
formula to
> do this?
>
> eg it starts like
>
> 1     Dog      Tail       Bird    Tweetypie
> 2     Cat       Tail       Dog    Rover
> 3     Bird      Feather Cat      Tom
>

> but ends up looking like
>
> 1      Dog      Tail       Dog       Rover
> 2      Cat       Tail       Cat    Tom
> 3      Bird       Feather Bird     Tweetypie
>
> I have looked at vlookups to be honest dont fully understand what is
being
> said, so if anyone can help explain it even plainer or another way to
do it
> that would be superb
>
> thanks

0
frank.kabel (11126)
11/24/2004 1:28:17 PM
> I want to do a comparison on my excel sheet. I have 4 columns and I
> need to compare the single words in column A to match the single words
> in column C and the single word in Column D on the respective row. Is
> there a formula to do this?
>
> eg it starts like
>
> 1     Dog      Tail       Bird    Tweetypie
> 2     Cat       Tail       Dog    Rover
> 3     Bird      Feather Cat      Tom
>

> but ends up looking like
>
> 1      Dog      Tail       Dog       Rover
> 2      Cat       Tail       Cat    Tom
> 3      Bird       Feather Bird     Tweetypie

Maybe the following would help.

In E1 put
  =IF(COUNTIF(C:C,A1)>0, A1,NA())

In F1 put
   =VLOOKUP(A1,C:D,2,FALSE)

Copy the two cells downward for as many rows as you need.
.... and finally hide columns C and D.

Exchange 2003 Database is CORRUPTED
Hello, I just installed anew Exchange server 2003 SP2 on a Server 2003 machine. Things seemed to be working ok (day 2). I moved a couple of mailboxes to the new server from an e2k sp3 machine yesterday and it went well. Today the stores won't mount, this is what is in the event viewer: Information Store (3624) First Storage Group: Database G:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb requires logfiles 114-115 in order to recover successfully. Recovery could only locate logfiles up to 114. I tried to run ISINTEG, but got: Isinteg cannot initiate verification process. Please review ...

trouble installing crm 4 workgroup on sbs 2003 premium r2
First posting so be kind! Trying to install crm workgroup (action pack) on to sbs 2003 premium r2 (action pack) AS far as I can see the sbs has all updates but the install is failing all the way first failure "Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server User Input" has red X then Verify DOmain User account SPN ... has warning then failure on "Index was outside the bounds of the array" the IIS failure and so on and so on. IS something just wrong with my sbs install it si straight of the dvd. Help. Thanks -- All advise is much appreciated ...

Problem while using Word as Outlook-mail-editor
I am using Outlook in windows-xp platfarm. Also I have selected WORD as the mail editor. It was working well. Now, if I open new-mail, word is not responding and it just hangs. I have to press ctrl-alt-del to come out from outlook. If I disable 'word' as editor, I can able to prepare new mails,can make reply & forward etc. kindly suggest a solution regards Selvaraj What version of Office are we talking about here? Does Word work without issues on its own? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Cr...

lost data source to Word 2007 chart
I created a chart in Word 2007, which when opening and double clicking on the chart automatically opened an excel spreadsheet where the data is input. For some reason, the excel data source no longers opens. The Data section under Chart Tool: Layout; is now grayed out and cannot be selected. How do I locate the Excel Data Source? ...

Pass word Issue
I have Microsoft Money 2001. I have two machines desk top and laptop. On my desktop I open Money program log in with password do my work , back up the file. I am fine. Now, I take this same CD or USB drive to lap top double click on it. I can see Money restoring the file. It asks for pass word I put it in but it says incorrect pass word. I am baffled, How can i be working with the same pass word in desktop but would not accept in Lap top. Please help. In microsoft.public.money, kumud wrote: >I have Microsoft Money 2001. I have two machines desk top and laptop. On my >desktop I ...

Text without word wrap
I am fairly new to Excel, converting from QPro. and having trouble with a feature I miss a lot. I find word wrap and/or joining cells clunky, QPro has a feature called Text Reformatting .In the QPro help file text reformatting is described as : "About Reformatting Text Format Text Reformat lets you adjust word wrapping in a series of label entries as though they were in a paragraph. You can enter text as a long label or a series of labels, then reorganize the text as a paragraph, using any number of cells or columns." Does anyone know of an Excel equivalent, or VBA code to do the ...

Matching function or no match
I am using this formula to compare 2 list to see which numbers are not included in both column A and Col C. The formula I am using below pulls out the ones that i do have a match . Is there another function that I could use that would only pull out the ones that there is not a match? =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$5,0)),"",A1) Thanks Uh =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$5,0)),A1,"") -- HTH Bob "Donna" <donna@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:BE688A2B-3D42-45A0-AA3F-B65034C685E1@microsoft.com... > > I am using this for...

Excel 2000 #12
I have a problem opening and closing excel files. I keep getting error message both on opening and closing files in excel. "Compile error in hidden Module: Initialization" (When opening any excel file) "Compile error in hidden Module: Initialization" (When closing excel file) Can you kindly assist with this. Did you try Tools->macro->visual basic editor and then try to compile the code if there is any. ...

Client E-Mail and Web E-Mail not matching
I've got a few complaints from about 4 users where e-mail they see in their Outlook Client is not showing up in their Outlook Web Client when they check their e-mail from a remote location. We're using Exchange 2003 with SP2 installed and all the users have Office Outlook 2003 with SP1 Installed also. This seems to only have been a problem since we upgraded to Exchange SP2 two weeks ago. (Although I can't confirm it, but I wasn't told of any problems before th upgrade.) We had to upgrade to SP2 because of the 16 Gig limit so rollback is not an option. Best as I can t...

I am having trouble with excel not ascending correctly
I am randomly entering data in previously created Transmittal log, as I get it, and after I am done I want the area that say\'s weld number to all be in numerical order by number not by date. I hit sort ascending and it puts that row in order but all of the other rows end up all over the place. I need to be able to hit ascend and have everything move into the write order. The dates don’t have to be in order only the weld numbers from low to high. Hopefully you understand my dilemma and can help. If I could upload the excel format to you that I am using, it probably would be more cl...

Extracting Data from Excel
Hi, Is it possible to use excel like a CRM software? Currently i am using excel to store my customer list, requests and enqueries. I would like to extract data from those information such as by company, location, and status. What would be the best way to implement this? Is there any guide to do this? Thanks in advance Regards, MY How about use of Autofilter & Advanced Filter? MVP Debra Dalgleish has some nice illustrations at: http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Check out the relevant links on her home page -- hth Max ----------------------------------------- Please reply in n...

deduplicate data in excel
How do I deduplicate data in Excel. I have a large database of names and addresses which I want to check to duplication You may want to read some of Chip Pearson's techniques for dealing with duplicates: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm Julie Melbourne wrote: > > How do I deduplicate data in Excel. I have a large database of names and > addresses which I want to check to duplication -- Dave Peterson Thanks Dave I have looked at this site, but cannot get the formula to work? Must be doing something wrong. Have you tried it? Do you have a working spreadsheet wtih...

column charts on two axis
I am trying to show a column chart on 2 axis. I have chosen the combination line and column chart to get the 2 axis but when I change the line to a second column it puts the columns over the top of the first axis columns. How do I get them to be side by side? Have a look at: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ColumnsOnTwoAxes.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Jo" <Jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F3800842-2343-4319-8496-4D8CAC0DABFF@microsoft.com... >I am trying to show a column chart on 2 axi...

Deploying A2007 app (on Office 2003 machine)
A customer has office 2003 installed including Access 2003. He never uses Access 2003. If I want to deploy my A2007 app on his machine would it be best to: - remove A2003, and - install A2007 runtime, to prevent the configuration screen from popping up? Another question: is it good practice to use the Package Solution Wizard of the Developers Extensions? Or would you advice another solution for that? Thanks, Lars If you removed A2003 and he uses it to modify databases, he won't be too happy with you putting in the A2007 run time. My vote would be to upgrade him...

Matching cells #3
Here's my spreadsheet: A B C 1 1 1 2 3 3 3 4 6 4 5 10 5 8 11 6 9 7 10 8 9 10 11 12 13 How do I get the matching numbers on the same rows, like: A B C 1 1 1 2 3 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 8 8 9 9 10 10 10 11 11 12 13 13 I would just re-create the columns. 1. Copy column A into D. 2. In E1 put: =IF(COUNTIF(B:B,$A1),$A1,"") 3. Copy it over to F1 and then down as far as needed. 4. Select columns D thru F, copy them, and go to Edit > Paste Special > Value. Press OK. 5. Delete column A thru C. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA &g...

How to have Word create a new or re-ordered document
I have a large test procedure and when following it, often the user has to back & forth between sections, this means remembering where you were; this often takes time away from actually doing the work. What I'd like to know is if the user could look at a bunch of checkboxes near the top of the document, pick which tests they want to run, click a button and have Word pick each selected section and any referenced sections to produce a "new" document that has all of the sections list and in order? For example, I would start at Section 1 which has three sub-sectio...

Lookup Formula: Return 1st match, then 2nd match, then 3rd match
I have a spreadsheet that looks like the following. Tab 1. Col A=Name. Col B = Task. A B Bob Reconcile Cash Tim Do Sales Report Bob Create presentation Tim Prepare financial statements Bob Hire staff person Now on tab two, I want to create another list that pulls all the tasks together by person. For example, Tab 2 would look like this: Bob Reconcile Cash Bob Create presentation Bob Hire staff person Tim Do Sales Report Tim Prepare financial statement. I realize I can just sor...

Word versions differences
What are the main differences between Word versions 2000, 2002, and 2003? I'm looking for any kind of info, but a chart would be great! You might look at "Description of new features in Word 2002" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288725 and at "What's New in Office 2003?" at http://wps.prenhall.com/wps/media/objects/1066/1092133/html/na_index.html and similar articles. You can also look at "What's new?" in the Help file for each application. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http:/...

Pattern problem, Publisher 2003
I made a flyer, over that flyer i put a rectangle. I made that blue and transparency to 90%. When i print it out there seems to be a pattern that doesn't show up in publisher. Is that a printer related problem it never seems to have done that before. Publisher does not do well with transparency. Right-click the rectangle, save as picture, use the .png format. Insert the rectangle back into your publication. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Cork2" <Cork2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

E-mail from Excel 2002
I have a column of 350 e-mail addresses. I need to convert them all to e-mail hyperlinks so that when I click on one of the addresses, an e-mail item is generated. I have selected them all and played around with the hyperlink button, but cannot get it to work properly. An e-mail is created when an entry is clicked, but it is always addressed to first individual on the list. What is the correct procedure to convert these entries to working e-mail address short of converting them one at a time. Please help Thanks Paul Use this Paul You can run this macro for column A Sub test() ...

Why is it...? (Word and Excel)
Just curious really. Why is it that in Word after you save you can still "undo", but in Excel when you save it forgets all the previous actions so you can't "undo". In Excel, this is annoying when attempting to do command-z, but catching the s key by mistake! PhilD -- <>< The short answer is that you're dealing with a totally different type of file structure. Much of what gets saved in a Excel file is far more calc-oriented & interdependent on various pieces of the puzzle - saved calculated results would have to be 'uncalculated'. A Word d...

how to correct page setup errors in word 2003
Error message in Word 2003 page setup. "Settings you chose for the left and right margins, column spacings, or paragraph indents are too large for the page in some sections". I have tried everything I can think of to adjust, and still the message persists. Anyone know how to overcome this or to disable this function. Go to Format | Columns and click on the preset picture for One, then click OK. If the problem occurs in a single document, this should correct it. If it occurs in all documents, you will need to follow the same steps in the Normal template; see htt...

InvalidCastException in outlook 2003
Hi In my VB.net application i got on different times (and not allways) an System.InvalidCastException. The line of code is: objAppointmentItem = objItems.GetFirst Does anyone know what to do??? Peter Are you testing first for any items in the collection? Are you sure that all the items you are getting are really AppointmentItem? -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm "Peter van der Veen" <...

Index Match Functions
Has anyone ever combined the Index and Match functions to do lookups? ...

Not matching transactions
I have it set to not automatically do anything. I've tried resetting the account quite a few times with the help of technicians, but it's too long and involved, and I'm tired of rebalancing the account every time. I have 3 accounts, 1 works without passport and does fine. One of the others I can manually download from the web site, and have no problems doing it like so and decided this is the best way, prior tries it wouldn't work with passport. But the other still insists they are new transactions, and I can't download from their site directly. They only allow...