How do I match values from cells to a list of info

Which function would I use to link data entered in to cells to the
corresponding value in the chart.

      A     B   C     D
1           1  1.5   2
2   .5     2   7    12
3    1     3   8    13
4   1.5   4   9    14
5    2     5  10   15
6   2.5   6  11   16

According to the chart 2x1.5=10. If one cell has the value of 2 another cell
has the value of 1.5, is there a function to connect the info?

Sorry if the question makes no sense, I am struggling. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

One way...

A10 = vertical lookup value = 2
B10 = horizontal lookup value = 1.5

=VLOOKUP(A10,A1:D6,MATCH(B10,A1:D1,0),0)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bseg" <Bseg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Which function would I use to link data entered in to cells to the
> corresponding value in the chart.
>
>      A     B   C     D
> 1           1  1.5   2
> 2   .5     2   7    12
> 3    1     3   8    13
> 4   1.5   4   9    14
> 5    2     5  10   15
> 6   2.5   6  11   16
>
> According to the chart 2x1.5=10. If one cell has the value of 2 another
> cell
> has the value of 1.5, is there a function to connect the info?
>
> Sorry if the question makes no sense, I am struggling. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

Matching function or no match
I am using this formula to compare 2 list to see which numbers are not included in both column A and Col C. The formula I am using below pulls out the ones that i do have a match . Is there another function that I could use that would only pull out the ones that there is not a match? =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$5,0)),"",A1) Thanks Uh =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$5,0)),A1,"") -- HTH Bob "Donna" <donna@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:BE688A2B-3D42-45A0-AA3F-B65034C685E1@microsoft.com... > > I am using this for...

How do I preserve text color when combining cell data
I'm using "&" to combine data from multiple cells. Each cell has text of a different color and I want to preserve those colors in the new combined cell. The new combined cell is formatting all the text to one color. Anyone have any suggestions on how to maintain the separate colors in the new cell? A formula can only return a value to a cell, so you cannot return formatting and such. =A1&A2 will return the value of A1 and A2 to the cell that has that formula entered in it. HTH Regards, Howard "CraigS" <CraigS@discussions.microsof...

Problem with Generic List Remove method
I am having a strange problem with a generic list. Maybe someone can spot my error. Specifically I am trying to remove an item when the list is a list of class object instances. public class myClass { public string myString { get; set; } public int myInt { get; set; } public myClass() { this.myString = string.Empty; this.myInt = 0; } } public class DoSomeWork { public List<myClass> myList = new List<myClass>(); public DoSomeWork() { this.myList = new List<myClass>(); } public void SomeWork() { myClass myClassInstance = null; ...

Non-standard behaviour of vertical scroll bar in Folder List
Why, oh why, does the scroll bar in Outlook's Folder List behave differently to any other scroll bar in the Microsoft universe? A scroll bar box, sometimes also called an elevator, will move a screenful when the mouse is clicked in the scroll bar shaft. However, when the mouse click is accompanied by the Shift key, the scroll bar box will move exactly to the position of the click in the scroll bar shaft. This is true for every application which uses the recommended APIs/MFCs. Even Outlook itself does so with the Message List pane and every other scroll bar I could find - except for the F...

Borders Don't Line up with Cells.
Hi, I have a spreadsheet where I have used borders of different types to highlight cells. However, recently the horizontal borders aren't working correctly. The lines don't match the text. The spacing of the line is bigger than the spacing of the text, and so the lines run through the text. Does anyone know what causes this and how I can fix it? I have tried two different printers and have the same problem, so I don't think it is a printer driver problem. Thanks. Michael ...

what are the steps to export dl list
what are the steps to export a distribution list in exchange 5.5. I have tried to use the export tool in excg. adm to no avail. I know i posted earlier, but i have noticed when i reply to what someone has posted in a post of mine i get no response. Thanks for the help. Isnt there a check box in the Export dialog box in the Exch admin for "Distribution Lists"? On Tue, 18 May 2004 17:01:03 -0700, "mikee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >what are the steps to export a distribution list in exchange 5.5. I have tried to use the export tool in excg. adm ...

not wordwrapping last two lines in cell
In cell 3C I have 18 lines that will wordwrap. the last two sentences will not wordwrap the last two sentences list about 10 words each and then run off the cell and cannot be seen. Any ideas how to fix this Thanks in Advance Does this link help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211580 "badgercat" wrote: > In cell 3C I have 18 lines that will wordwrap. > the last two sentences will not wordwrap > the last two sentences list about 10 words each and then run off the cell > and cannot be seen. > > Any ideas how to fix this > > Tha...

cannot see a list of transactions for 401k
I downloaded the transaction lists for my 401k account. However, all I saw is "add shares" without the list of transactions. I tried the following resolution suggested in the money help. But it just doesn't work. Please help. "On the Accounts & Bills menu, click Account List. Click your 401K or 403B account, and then click Change account details. Click to clear the Retirement check box. Click to select the Retirement account check box, and then click OK on the message that appears. In the Edit Account dialog box, click Other (for employees), and then click F...

Client E-Mail and Web E-Mail not matching
I've got a few complaints from about 4 users where e-mail they see in their Outlook Client is not showing up in their Outlook Web Client when they check their e-mail from a remote location. We're using Exchange 2003 with SP2 installed and all the users have Office Outlook 2003 with SP1 Installed also. This seems to only have been a problem since we upgraded to Exchange SP2 two weeks ago. (Although I can't confirm it, but I wasn't told of any problems before th upgrade.) We had to upgrade to SP2 because of the 16 Gig limit so rollback is not an option. Best as I can t...

Matching cells #3
Here's my spreadsheet: A B C 1 1 1 2 3 3 3 4 6 4 5 10 5 8 11 6 9 7 10 8 9 10 11 12 13 How do I get the matching numbers on the same rows, like: A B C 1 1 1 2 3 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 8 8 9 9 10 10 10 11 11 12 13 13 I would just re-create the columns. 1. Copy column A into D. 2. In E1 put: =IF(COUNTIF(B:B,$A1),$A1,"") 3. Copy it over to F1 and then down as far as needed. 4. Select columns D thru F, copy them, and go to Edit > Paste Special > Value. Press OK. 5. Delete column A thru C. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA &g...

Change default search to Value, not formula?
Every time I start a word search, the default searches for fomulas instead of value. So everytime I have to open up the option button and change it to value instead of formula. How do I change that default setting? lbbss Saved from a previous post: Excel tries to help by remembering the last settings you used--except for the first search in that session. You can use that to your advantage. You could make a dummy workbook and put it in your xlStart folder. Have a macro in that workbook that does a find (and sets all the stuff the way you like). Then closes and gets out of the way. ...

Conditional format for unique values
Hello, I would like to set a conditional format to color each unique value a different color. It will also be applied to multiple occurences of the value. The problem is that the values are dynamic and may not always be the same number of occurences, in the same cell, etc. I have used the formula IF(ISNUMBER(COUNTIF($F$3:F3,F3)),ROW(),"")) to try to identify the occurences but creating a conditional format has proven out of my league! Please help! And thanks!! Conditional formats are limited to 3 different formats in XL2003 or less. So you can end up with a max of ...

Sum of every nth cell in a column
I am trying to figure out the formula for adding the nth cell in a given column. I am using the formula below to add every 4th cell but it is just one that I found on line. Can someone explain to me the components of this formula so I can adapt it? =SUM((C2:C213) * (MOD( ROW( C2:C213)+1, 4)=0)) That is an array formula so it must be committed with Shift + Ctrl + <Enter>. here is how it works... Moving down through cells C2:C213 it looks at each 2 things. The value of the cell and the row that cell is on. If the row that cell is on is +1 is evenly divisible by 1 then ...

How do I count one cell based on another cell?
How do you count the number of cells with data (not blank) in a given range based on a criteria in a different range? for example, how many corresponding cells are populated with data in c1:c1000, if b1:b1000 = SMU? I have tried so many variations of the the following to no avail. =COUNT(IF(b1:b1000,"SMU",counta(c1:c1000))) If anyone can resuce me...I am frustrated...what am I missing? Harr Hi try =SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B1000="SMU"),--(C1:C1000<>"")) Also see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany &qu...

Multiply all values by 10
Is there a way to multiply all values in my spreadsheet by 10? If so, how? Type the 10 in some random cell and copy. Select your target cells and Edit > Paste Special, and select the Multiply radio button. "RTimberlake" wrote: > Is there a way to multiply all values in my spreadsheet by 10? If so, how? First, make a copy of the workbook in case you make a typo or something, then put 10 in an empty cell, copy it, then select all values needed and do edit>paste special and select multiply -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "RTimberlake" ...

Lookup Formula: Return 1st match, then 2nd match, then 3rd match
I have a spreadsheet that looks like the following. Tab 1. Col A=Name. Col B = Task. A B Bob Reconcile Cash Tim Do Sales Report Bob Create presentation Tim Prepare financial statements Bob Hire staff person Now on tab two, I want to create another list that pulls all the tasks together by person. For example, Tab 2 would look like this: Bob Reconcile Cash Bob Create presentation Bob Hire staff person Tim Do Sales Report Tim Prepare financial statement. I realize I can just sor...

Force a new line in a cell with "wrap text" on
How can I put a newline command in a cell formula? I've tried using Alt-Enter, but it doesn't work. Why would you want to wrap a formula? Do you mean text, or an actual formula? "DRARetired" <draretired@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:edf201c43d16$e7f8e5c0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > How can I put a newline command in a cell formula? I've > tried using Alt-Enter, but it doesn't work. In a Worksheet use CHAR(10) in a macro use CHR(10) Alt+Enter automatically turns on Cell Wrap. This won't so you may have to format the cells yourself. Fo...

Index Match Functions
Has anyone ever combined the Index and Match functions to do lookups? ...

Not matching transactions
I have it set to not automatically do anything. I've tried resetting the account quite a few times with the help of technicians, but it's too long and involved, and I'm tired of rebalancing the account every time. I have 3 accounts, 1 works without passport and does fine. One of the others I can manually download from the web site, and have no problems doing it like so and decided this is the best way, prior tries it wouldn't work with passport. But the other still insists they are new transactions, and I can't download from their site directly. They only allow...

Average only cells >0
Is there any way to create a formula that takes an average of all cells in range that are greater than the value of zero? If the value is zero, it should not be included in the average. Thank you! ...

data in row didnt match import type 12-30-05
while importing almost 800 accounts , i got the following error for majority of accounts 'Data in row did not match the import type' what is the solution? How can i match it? whats is the way of comparision? It looks like a data problem. You need to check if all dates are correct (and filled), if numbers are numbers (not letters), etc... Regards, -- Erik van Hoof CWR Mobility Check our weblog at: http://www.cwrmobility.com/weblog "Aam" <Aam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C51E8ED0-443D-4B35-B436-0A9EDB09B419@microsoft.com... > while impo...

Start a file at a defaulted worksheet/cell?
Howdy, Having a few users to a file, can I have the file open to a default worksheet/cell as I have directions I want them to read before playing... Regards, Kevin Kevin, use something like this, put in thisworkbook code Private Sub Workbook_Open() Sheets("Sheet2").Select Range("C3").Select End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "...

How do I return to prior cell?
After I have traced a formula using Ctrl+[, what is the keyboard shortcut to return to the same cell where I traced the formula? Thank you! Press Ctrl+] Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps! -------------------- (Ms-Exl-Learner) -------------------- "NYC18" wrote: > After I have traced a formula using Ctrl+[, what is the keyboard shortcut to > return to the same cell where I traced the formula? > > Thank you! Thank you, but I can only get Ctrl+] to work if all the referenced cells are within one worksheet. If I am writing formulas usi...

Multi Select List Box to Text Box
Michelle asked a question last year (Subject: Multi Select List Box to Text Box (put each item on separate line) 7/19/2007 1:27 PM PST ) which I want to do - that is take the selections from a list box and concatenate them to produce a CSV string in another field on the same form (I'm not bothered about the separate line format bit). Michelle's code is fine, but what do I have to call the text box and how do I activate the update please, where do I put the code? Will it be a button control make it all happen? Thanks "Emsstop" <Emsstop@discussions.microsoft.co...

if value is greater than # * by 20% if less * by 40
if price is higher than 30 dollars markup by 20% if less than 30$ markup by 40% Try this: For A1: (a price) The marked up price B1: =A1*IF(A1>30,1.2,1.4) Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "sypher" wrote: > if price is higher than 30 dollars markup by 20% if less than 30$ markup by 40% ...