How do I make a drop down list to pick from for a cell in Excel

 HTH

Bob Phillips

"bbiernbaum" <bbiernbaum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
phillips1 (803)
6/15/2005 1:30:33 PM
Look up Validation in XL Help
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Excel Calculation Error for formula to sum
I entered a formula of =sum(E11:E56) for example and excel did not return a correct calculation. I checked the format of the cells and it is a custom one. I checked for hidden values and could not find any (to my understanding it will show a blank cell but if the cell is highlighted and it is a hidden value it will show the number in the formula bar). The sum that Excel returned is exactly 6033 over, which is a value that is included of what I told excel to add for me. Any ideas? I changed the format to general, to a number, etc and it did not help. Also, another item that is stra...

Listing of DEX.INI parameters
Is there a master list of all the DEX.INI parameters? If so, where is it? I tried searching the knowledgebase and there was nothing there. Quite a number of the DEX.ini parameters are defined in our Confessions manual -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "Rich Wheeler" wrote: > Is there a master list of all the DEX.INI parameters? If so, where is it? I > tried searching the knowledgebase and there was nothing there...

How do you delete a file in Excel's VB?
Not much more to ask than that. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Tino Tino, Use the Kill command to permanently delete a file. For example, Kill "C:\temp\book1.xls" Note that Kill does not put the file in the Recycle Bin. To delete a file to the Recycle Bin, see www.cpearson.com/excel/recycle.htm . -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com <tanast@ing.com.au> wrote in message news:3fce6904.5614763@news.clari.net.au... > Not much more to ask than that. > > Any help would be much appreciated. ...

Make Default

2003 SP3
I read one posting that said the > or other such formats is what causes your drop down box text to not be shown. I can't remove these as we rely on all the data being in upper case for formality purposes. I read another article that said the following hotfix fixes some of the problems: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674 I looked it up and it says: 945280 Combo box controls and list box controls display no value or incorrect values in Access 2003 after you install office 2003 Service Pack 3 I have not values visable, but they are there - does anyone know if this fix is the ...

Extracting the data according to the number of cell
I have a minor Excel formula problem. In my example has following data, cell A5 shows "apple", A6 shows "salt", A7 shows "sugar" and A8 shows "fish". On another hand, cell B3 is the "criteria" data showing 3. My question is to form an Excel formula which can extract the data from cell "A1" and then extract the 3rd data, which is "sugar" (that is the result I want). Althought the formula is counting from A1, but the excel formula know the data after "apple" and "salt" is "sugar" (cell fro...

matching a sorting the exact value in the data list
Hi there, In Excel 2000 I wish to match and sort the following data using some type of function in Excel. CRXU1972999 CRXU1972509 CRXU1973932 CRXU1972999 DFSU6001327 CRXU1973932 GESU2271222 FCIU2056631 GESU9254295 GESU2271222 PCIU3025511 PCIU2365754 PCIU3030457 PCIU3023571 PCIU3038329 PCIU3025511 PCIU3039304 PCIU3026020 PCIU3055060 PCIU3030457 PCIU3060600 PCIU3038329 PCIU3061993 PCIU3039304 PCIU3066085 PCIU3060600 ....so the above mentioned data should look like this(see below) after the function has been applied. CRXU1972999 CRXU1972999 (wish to join but in seperate columns) CRXU19739...

Dropdown lists
Hi all :) how do i create dropdown lists, ie so i can select a name from a lis instead of typing it hope you understand what i mean :confused: thanks for any help Stev -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Steve you can use Data validation for this. Try the following: - Select the cells you want a listbox for - Goto 'Data - Validation'. Choose 'List' and select a range with your stored names for the listbox For more information on data validation have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Frank > Hi all :) > > how do i crea...

making a transfer show up in the budget

leave a cell blank
My spreadsheet serves 2 purposes. Printed and manually filled out plus data entry. The cells with formulas show a 0 (zero) if the referenced cells are empty. The problem is the user has the option to ignore the formula and hard code a figure. If a formula = 0, is there a way to hide that zero so when I print the form it's blank for the user? thanks! You could turn off viewing zeros at Tools>Options>View. Or you could trap for the 0 and leave cell looking blank. =IF(A1*B1=0,"",A1*B1) If you are interested in keeping the user from over-writing a formula, see hel...

making tickets

Pricing restriction to price lists
Most customers do not wish to load all products into the CRM system. Therefore the restricted use of price lists makes the system unflexible. In Opportunities it is even not possible to enter manual prices on product level We were going to implement a standard product price list to ensure that analysis of products sold was uniformed but immediatly came across the issue that you can not over-ride the price details in an opportunity. As an ASP provider, opportunities are based on client project value and apart from having to generate a price list per opportunity, I see no way forward. I...

Macro/keyboard shortcut to increment a cell value
I would like to set up a keyboard shortcut (e.g., Ctrl+I) that would increment the value of the selected cell by 1. Can someone get me started by pointing me in the right direction? I have some experience creating simple macros in Word, if that is what's needed. Thanks -- PC: HP Omnibook 6000 OS: Win 2K SP-4 (5.00.2195) LAN: P2P with an HP Vectra workstation Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com (11/03/04) One way is to make a macro and assign the shortcut key to it: Option Explicit Sub AddOneToActiveCell() With ActiveCell If IsNumeric(.Value) Then .Value = .Val...

Excel automatically changes the formatting of the cell to "Time"
Hello, I have a long column of numbers [dates in the YY:DD format]. I wanted to replace ":61" to ":59". Even though the cells are initially formatted as Text, as soon as I make the change, Excel changes the formatting to Time, and the cell with the change now has text ":59:00" in it. Is it possible to force Excel to keep the cells formatted as Text? Thank you! Sam, If the cells are truly formatted as text (Format - Cells - Number - Text), the formatting should never change, and you should always see exactly what you've typed. Give us an example...

Formattinb cells
Hi Is it possible to change the background color of a column of cells depending on the value of the cell at the top of the column. I have written a macro to do this but can't find a statement to do this: worksheets(:Sheet1").cells(cl,rw).backcolor = QBColor(14) Error message method not supported and nowhere in the help can I find an answer. Suggestions would be appreciated Thanks Charles Why not just use format>formula is>conditional formatting =a2=$a$1 and format as desired>copy format using format painter. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com...

How do you change cells with formula's to the value or text?
In lotus it is possible to change the formula in a cell to the text or the number that that formula returns. Of course, you can not reverse it, but in is very helpful sometimes. Is that possible in Excel CTRL + ~ will toggle between formulas and values -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ----------------------------------------------------------------------------...

Excel 2002 locks up
For some reason my Excel 2002 locks up when I attempt to save a document. It seems that it does it when I have several Excel documents open at the same time. Not to say that it won't do it when I only have one document open, I just have only experienced with several documents open. I'm running Windows 2K Pro on a Sony PCG-R505DCK laptop. I don't know if this info helps but I guess it can't hurt. Any help you can give is great. Thank you in advance, Tony ...

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

Balance Points in Excel Charts
Hi. I regularly produce stacked bar charts to show ranges of opinions (e.g. very poor, poor, acceptable, good and very good quality). In these charts I often manually add a drawing shape to show a 'balance point' (like a see-saw) - to show how opinions differ between different groups of people. I would like to know if there is a way to add a drawing object (or shape etc) to a graph - but linked to data (i.e. so that it is linked to the middle point of the data). This would make my graphs more dynamic and would save me a lot of time adding these shapes in man...

Lists and filters
I would like to do the following: 1 - Allow a pre-set list of selectable values for a column of data - I'm using the validation process so that is working. 2 - At the header level for this column of data, I'd like to be able display selected values in this column, e.g., all rows with a value of "apple" in this column. The filter works but I can't get it to work on multiple columns. The list isn't working either. Ideas? Paul C. Peterson ...

Password Prompt When I Close an Excel Document I Opened in a Web Browser
Hi, Each time I close an excel document it prompts me a username and a password. I found an article (Q324328) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=324328 in Microsoft support web site about the same issue with Word. I tried to apply the same solution but it didnt work. The document is on our Intranet. If i enter a userID who has permission to write to the folder where th doc is stored it works. Internet guest account has list content right. Any ideas? Thanks Lenny ...