how do I keep my rows together?

I have two workbooks that I use to store different pieces
of information on the same employees.  In both workbooks,
the first column is the employees' first name and the
second column is the employees' second name.  After that,
the columns contain different pieces of information about
the employees.  I need to make sure that if I add or
subtract an employee from one of the workbooks, he/she is
added/removed from both of them, so I tried to make the
first two columns in one workbook equal to the first two
columns in the other.  The problem is that while the
cells in the first two columns shift to make room for the
added/subtracted name, the rest of the cells remain in
place, and the first and last name cells become
misalligned with the rest of their original row.  How do
I fix my workbooks so that the rest of the row shifts
with the first and second cells?

0
kgroves (1)

"Kris" wrote...
>I have two workbooks that I use to store different pieces
>of information on the same employees.  In both workbooks,
>the first column is the employees' first name and the
>second column is the employees' second name.  After that,
>the columns contain different pieces of information about
>the employees.  I need to make sure that if I add or
>subtract an employee from one of the workbooks, he/she is
>added/removed from both of them, so I tried to make the
>first two columns in one workbook equal to the first two
>columns in the other.  The problem is that while the
>cells in the first two columns shift to make room for the
>added/subtracted name, the rest of the cells remain in
>place, and the first and last name cells become
>misalligned with the rest of their original row.  How do
>I fix my workbooks so that the rest of the row shifts
>with the first and second cells?

This is a fine example of why spreadsheets make horrible databases. It can be
done, but it requires self-discipline and a desire to think and act like a piece
of database software.

In order to avoid misalignment between the two columns of names and the rest of
the employee data, you must delete ENTIRE rows, not just the names. If you do
that, you won't have misalignment problems. However, that requires *YOU* to make
sure you have entire rows selected when you delete employee information.

Are you using macros to do this or are you trying to do this manually?

--
Never attach files.
Snip unnecessary quoted text.

Linking templates together
I was wondering how do I go about linking the numbers in various excel templates together so that a change in one template will be reflected in another. Ex. I have a income statement template and a balance sheet template, if I make a change to the income statement I would like the balance sheet to reflect the change automatically. How is this possible? On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:16:02 +0100, capnhud = <capnhud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I was wondering how do I go about linking the numbers in various excel= > templates together so that a change in one template will ...

Outlook keeps prompting for logon..
User is on Outlook 2k3, latest service packs, updates, etc. Mailbox lives on Exchange 2007 (SP1). Everytime the user starts Outlook they're prompted to logon. I've disabled the logon prompt at startup option (and enabled it and then disabled it again), but it's still happening. I've tried it with cached mode on and cached mode off. I've tried it with offline mode enabled and disabled. I've tried deleting his profile and recreating it. I've tried switching to an RPC/HTTPS connection. Finally, i completely uninstalled Outlook 2k3 and installed Outlook 2k7. Not...

Row height
Hi all, Is there a way to have the row height adjust automatically to display all the lines of text that may be in a particular cell ? I have "WRAP TEXT" selected from the Alignment menu when you format the contents of a cell but this does not automatically adjust the row height to display all the lines of wrapped text. I have been adjusting the row height manually and this is a pain in the b...... when you have to do this each time your cell contains more than one line of text. Thanks in advance for any info that you can share with me. Regards ..... Ben Doesn't wor...

row to column
hi I have entered no. 1 to 100 from A1 to A100 i.e in a row. Now i wan to convert that same from row to column i.e i want to enter 1 in colum A, 2 in column B and so on. Is there any way for doing that please le me know -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com hi yes, copy (can't use "cut") the A1:A100 range, click in cell B1 and choose edit / paste special - transpose then delete A1:A100 (or column A) cheers JulieD "mangesh >" <<mangesh.17z8ao@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mangesh.17z8ao@excelforum-nospam.com... > hi > ...

Use a cell's value as row number for another cell in Excel
Excel XP: I'm trying to use the values in one row of cells (D1:F1) as the reference for the row value for a different series of cells (D2:F4). For example: Column A B C D E F Row 1 1000 30 170 1 2 3 2 1500 60 190 3 1200 20 175 I want to get the following cells to equal: D2=1000 (In other words: D2 = A1); D3=30 (In other words: F2 = B1); E2=1500 (In other words: E2 = A2); E3=60 (In other words: F2 = B2); F2=1200 (In other words: F2 = A3); F3=20 ...

Pinning a row
How do I keep the first row always visible when I scroll down? Click in A2, and then, <Window> <Freeze Panes> Here's an old post that might help explain: http://tinyurl.com/2qdzt -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Rick" <rhuldisch@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:93E01890-F83F-40CC-9F6A-F2D44EEF3D36@microsoft.com... > How do I keep the first row alway...

Column format to override row fomat in FrX
In FrX the row format overrides the column format for font styles eg. bold etc. it would be useful if it was possible to have the option for the column format to override the row fomat ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesss...

Help Old addresses keep coming up

Find highest value in each row.
Hi, I have a problem trying to find the highest value for each row. I have a query, which adds up scores. Its based on a table something like this orgID Score1 Score2 Score3 Score4 Score5 Score6 1 10 1 5 2 11 20 2 1 4 2 12 11 24 1 10 7 15 12 1 2 and so on..... I have query that basicly adds up some of the scores into groups. So its like: orgID ScoreSet1:[Score1]+[Score2]+[Score3] ScoreSet2:[Score4]+[Score5]+ [Score6] 1 16 ...

Keep Lines Together; Keep with Next

why do my pictures keep disappearing?
Although I have checked the box in 'pictures' any form of graphic or word art that I have inserted into my publication keeps disappearing! If I click in the general direction of the insertion the bounding dots appear, but no picture Are you sure you have view, pictures, detailed display checked? If so try updating your graphics driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "JG" <JG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57E101AC-A758-400A-9269-3B68B754CA0E@microsoft.com... > Altho...

How to amalgamate 1000s of rows of data into a usable chart
I have the following data in colums A - D with the headings below. (There are 1000s of rows of data, but only the 4 columns) PhoneNumber_____Status____________________BillableTime_____Transfers 9588_____________Delivered to Answ Mach_____15_____________ 0060_____________Delivered to Answ Mach_____23_____________ 2024_____________No Answer________________0______________ 2024_____________No Answer________________0______________ 2024_____________No Answer________________0______________ 3868_____________Delivered to Answ Mach_____35_____________ 2342_____________Delivered to Voice__________1204__...

how can I keep a tab in place?
I have workbooks with multiple worksheets. I would like to keep the summary tab in a fixed (first) position so that the user can easily, quickly find it without using the l<, <, >, >l (arrow) tabs. I use hyperlinks to get from the summary tab to the other tabs, and I know I can hyperlink tab back... but I'd rather not use the hyperlinks too much. Tools - Protection - Protect workbook (for structure) Or, create a custom button/macro that navigates to the summary sheet. -- Best Regards, Luke M "missy8892" <missy8892@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Outlook 2003 keeps asking for password for POP3 account
I am running WinXP Pro and Office 2003. My Outlook 2003 keeps popping up intermittently a pop-up box requesting me to re-enter the POP3 account password. Now, there is nothing wrong with the password already entered (check box to save password), so all i am having to do is click OK, but it is really annoying. Does anyone know what i can do to stop Outlook from doing this? Thanks for your help. ...

Row & Column Header
How can I change the font and size of my Row and Column Header? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi See if the Excel page zoom fits your needs. Or else see the Windows settings. HTH Cordially Pascal "sljang >" <<sljang.18yqmc@excelforum-nospam.com> a �crit dans le message de news:sljang.18yqmc@excelforum-nospam.com... > How can I change the font and size of my Row and Column Header? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > sl Format>Style>Normal>Modify. Make the changes here>OK. This is a work...

eliminating extra rows in spreadsheet
If I have a spreadsheet with several rows, the scroll bar goes down to the last row. If I delete rows, the scroll bar still goes down to where the last row used to be. This is cumbersome if I've got a large worksheet and I've eliminated a lot of rows. Is there a way to readjust the scroll bar so that it will stop at the new last row? Thanks. -- roger After you delete the rows, you can save the file & reopen - should be OK. OR, press Alt/F11 (takes you to the VBE), ctrl/G (displays immediate window), type Activesheet.usedrange and press enter. Then Alt/Q (returns to Excel...

How do I keep the home tool bar on top
An hour ago the home tool bar stoped being displayed. I can restore it but every time i hit a key the tool bar disapers. How do I keep the tool bar on top while I am typing. You've minimized the Ribbon. Double-click any tab on the Ribbon to restore it. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "RobertTaylor" <RobertTaylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:081A95C4-76B9-47E2-A4E6-83A080233AD0@microsoft.com... > An hour ago the home tool bar stoped being displayed. I can rest...

Adding rows of data to 2 worksheets that are linked with formulas to eachother...
I have 2 worksheets. Sheet 1 contains address information for names of people we contact (including the names). Sheet 2 contains some of the contact information, including about 15 columns of dates that aren't included in sheet 1. I need to add in about 100 rows of new data that isn't included on either sheet. My problem is that the data that is the same on sheet 2 is linked to the cells in sheet 1. Rows in sheet2 read (=Sheet1!A2)(=Sheet1!B2)(=Sheet1!C2)(=Sheet1!G2),etc (they skip some colmns from Sheet 1) for every row. How do I add the extra 100 rows in without mixing up the d...

How to keep userform always on the top of all windows application
Hi All!! Is there some that when I execute an excel user form, it *remains o the top * of all the windows applications that are currently running until & unless I, manually, minimize or close it. Regards, Jat -- JAtz_DA_WA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- JAtz_DA_WAY's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2668 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40059 You may get an answer to your question--but it'll involve both making the userform always on top plus adding those minim...

Copy an additional row based on another sheet
I have an excel document that contains 3 sheets. The first Sheet supplies me with the data to automate the third sheet. Based on what is on the 1st sheet and if it is a certain code I want to copy the row on the third sheet that corresponds to that data and copy it to the next row on the third sheet. For example the first sheet tells me that the code is 01 and based on formulas it puts the data on the third sheet. But if the code is 01 I want to duplicate that row on the third sheet and copy it down to the next row. Any ideas. I tired to do the following but it keeps duplicating th...

Keep it alive
Hello! Is it possible to declare an Access.Application object in a module of another db (let's call it db1), display the application window to the user interface and keep it alive even when db1 is closed? Because the database object is closed as soon as the memory used by db1 is released.. Thanks for any suggestion! Answered in another group where you posted this. ...

Conditional formatting of an entire row based on a cell text entry
Hi everyone, I would like to use conditional formatting on a table that is 8 columns wide and 50 rows high. What I would like to do is colour all rows that have an X in column D or E. This is what I tried The formula is =A1="x" This colours only the cells where there is an X. What I would like is the entire row or rows to be coloured. Thanks for your efforts Gilles Try setting to The formula is =OR($D1="X",$E1="X") The mixed reference will allow you to copy this to your entire table, keeping the references fixed to column D or E of the current row. &qu...

how to keep text with next paragraph
"Church Mouse" wrote: > What is the problem? Version? ...

deposit to keep??
When you cancel a layaway and rms ask you if you want deposit to keep and you say ok, what happens to the money and where does that money go? and is there a way to turn off that button? ...