How do I get year to date earnings on a payroll spreadsheet(what'.

I am trying to create a payroll spreadsheet. I want to get the formula for
year to date.
I would rather not use a 52 column sheet with totals. How can I add the
change each week without using a large sheet?
0
c (162)

If I can offer an opinion: regarding payroll, keep as much information
as you can.  Payroll is sacred- people literally live by it, and they
are VERY concerned that proper records are kept.  A Fortune 500 company
is judged by its stock price; small and even medium sized companies are
judged by whether or not they met payroll.

My suggestion is to allow the spreadsheet to be as large as it needs to
be in order to keep highly detailed, accurate records.  The LAST thing
you want is to be forced into a corner, where you have to say to a
state examiner of one type or another "I don't know what the payroll
data is for week x" just because the spreadsheet isn't a few columns
wider.  When the sprdsht gets wide, just hide the earlier columns.

Keep the data- protect yourself and your company.

Pontification ends!

0
CycleZen (674)
3/16/2005 9:52:41 PM
Thanks I appreciate the information

"Landon C" wrote:

> I am trying to create a payroll spreadsheet. I want to get the formula for
> year to date.
> I would rather not use a 52 column sheet with totals. How can I add the
> change each week without using a large sheet?
0
LandonC (2)
3/16/2005 10:27:04 PM
Thanks Dave for the reminder.

"Dave O" wrote:

> If I can offer an opinion: regarding payroll, keep as much information
> as you can.  Payroll is sacred- people literally live by it, and they
> are VERY concerned that proper records are kept.  A Fortune 500 company
> is judged by its stock price; small and even medium sized companies are
> judged by whether or not they met payroll.
>
> My suggestion is to allow the spreadsheet to be as large as it needs to
> be in order to keep highly detailed, accurate records.  The LAST thing
> you want is to be forced into a corner, where you have to say to a
> state examiner of one type or another "I don't know what the payroll
> data is for week x" just because the spreadsheet isn't a few columns
> wider.  When the sprdsht gets wide, just hide the earlier columns.
>
> Keep the data- protect yourself and your company.
>
> Pontification ends!

0
LandonC (2)

How to Find all my posts? How to sort by date of post?
I don't always remember to click the "notify me of replies" button, nor do I always remember the subject. And some searches return hundreds of pages of hits. How does one find just their posts? I tried searchign on my userid but that isn't reliable. On most forums there is a "show users posts" option, but I don't see how to do that with MS Forum. Also, how does one sort the search response by date? I often see search results start with posts from 2006, then 2005, up to 2009, back to 2006, then to 2004. The notification rarely works anyway....

year formula 04-13-10
I'm sure this is very simple, but for some reason it's not working for me. I have a log of training sessions provided to clients. I want to run a pivot table that totals the number of hours for the year. I track the date in the spreadsheet, so I wanted to add a column of "year" so that I can easily get totals per year. I want to reference the date column to populate the year for that date (I have hundreds of lines already so I don't want to do it manually) When i added the column & used the year function, it comes up with 1905 each time instead of...

need a date look here

Restrict spreadsheet to data entry only
Fairly new to Excel. Once I've set up the structure of my spreadsheet, and entered the formulae for calculated cells etc, how can I ensure that the spreadsheet is used just for data entry and that the structure cannot be altered in any way? TIA You can use protection. You need to go to every cell you want for data entry and unprotect tha cell. You can select multiple cells... right mouse click... Then hi format cells... The last tab says protection, select it and click th check box to unprotect these items. Now you can then in the menu bar hit Tools... Protection... and the Protect...

A Crystal Beginner

Using current date track budget.
Hi, I am trying to update a percentage completion cell in a budget tracking spreadsheet based on the current month. Basically I have a row for each activity and a column for each month. I enter the hours completed for each activity in each month. I have a total number of hours value which will be used to calculate the %completed. So what I need is to a formula that will calculate the following: if ( this month is April) then (sum the hours from start month to april and divide by the total hours cell) else if (this month is May) then (sum the hours from start month to april and ...

Get paid while you get online!!

EPays w/ Processing Date
I've been using MM for a number of years and have had relatively few problems...until now with MM05. I've searched this NG and FAQ web site but haven't found the issue/resolution. I have always had MM to record EPays with the PROCESSING DATE and have it checked in Settings/Online Services. MM05, however, records the transaction in the register with the SUBMITTING DATE. For example, yesterday I sent 2 payments to be paid on the 13th of the month but MM recorded yesterday's date NOT the payment date. That transaction, once submitted can't be changed as the check numbe...

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

How do I get??

Get notified when Out of Office is on

Getting Control ID in Active X control

Months or Years remaining, formatting
Hello all. =(A1-(NOW()))/365 The above formula gives me years remaining as "X.XX YEARS" (currently I have the cell formatted as 0.0" years"; ) This is a two-part question: (a) FORMULA CHANGE: I want to change the formula so that the result is the same, UNLESS [LESS THAN 1 YEAR], THEN "X.XX MONTHS" (b) FORMATTING METHOD: should i set up a conditional formatting solution, or can I just do this all in one in-cell formula? Any help would be much apprecieted. - Jim -- James C ------------------------------------------------------------------------ James C...

Display a person's age in years & months: for example 4;11
How do you show a person's chronological age in years & months in Excel: I want the age to show up as 4;11 (4 yr 11 mo), not as 4.91. Thanks! long winded but it works for me. =ROUNDDOWN(((TODAY()-A1)/365.25),0 &";"&ROUNDDOWN(MOD((TODAY()-A1),365.25)/365.25*12,0) A1 contains the persons birth date -- dcronj ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dcronje's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=528 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26285 Hi, Try =DATEDIF(A1,...

spreadsheet layout changes
I use Excel 2000 to create my spreadsheet. I change the print layout for a HP 960C printer. When I send this file to a friend who uses Excel 2003 and a HP 880 (?) printer, the layouts are changed. Can anyone tell me why? Printing layouts are determined in large part by your printer driver. You mention two disparate printers. I would say that is the source of any differences you see in layout. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 07:16:02 -0700, Ursula <Ursula@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I use Excel 2000 to create my spreadsheet. I change the ...

Get photos from a camera

How can years be displayed in an Excel chart?