How do I get only the data I want to be shown?

I have approximately 2000 rows of data all with strange data in it. Each row
starts with positions of stars in sexagesimal format. I want to filter
through these so that I only have the ones I want (approx. 600), followed by
the data in the row that corresponds to the position. I have the list of the
ones I want in a seperate column (i.e. there positions). How do I get them?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

Two approaches come to mind.

1)  Use an advanced filter.  Click in the larger table and select Data >
Filter > Advanced Filter.  The 'database' should be the larger table (Excel
will probably fill this in for you).  The 'criteria' should be the position
column within the smaller table.  Only the matching rows would remain
visible, and you could copy these to another sheet.  (Note that there must be
a header row for each table, and the headers for the criteria must match.
That is, if it's labeled 'Position' in the larget table, it must be labeled
'Position' in the smaller).

2)  Use the MATCH worksheet function.  Suppose your larger table is in
A1:D2000 with the position in column A and the filter list is in H1:H600.  In
D2, enter =ISNA(MATCH(A2,H:H,FALSE)).  Autofill that formula into D2:D2000,
then autofilter (Data > Filter > Autofilter).  Select FALSE to see the
matching rows (which you could copy to another sheet) or TRUE to see the
non-match rows (which you could delete).

"Georgyneedshelp" wrote:

> I have approximately 2000 rows of data all with strange data in it. Each row
> starts with positions of stars in sexagesimal format. I want to filter
> through these so that I only have the ones I want (approx. 600), followed by
> the data in the row that corresponds to the position. I have the list of the
> ones I want in a seperate column (i.e. there positions). How do I get them?
>
> I hope this makes sense. Thanks!
0
bpeltzer (49)

OT
Slightly off topic - counldn't find any appropriate group on my server. I'm running a prog in debug mode (VC7.1.3088) for several hours or more and I'm sending a lot of output via ATLTRACE2 to the output window. In the past I've had a couple visual studio crashes and I wondered if there was any restriction on the amount of data the output window can safely take - or there are any bugs linked to this. TIA "Joe" <not@here.com> wrote in message news:4230fa32$0$10953$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com... > Slightly off topic - counldn't find any appr...

Data validation behaviour
Local named ranges: Codes!Depth_Range refers to: = Codes!$A$10 evaluates to: 46 (always a positive integer) Codes!Short_Name_Header refers to: = Codes!$Z$12 Codes!Sign_Table refers to: =OFFSET(Codes!Short_Name_Header,1,0,Codes!Depth_Range,3) Codes!Table refers to: =OFFSET(Codes!Short_Name_Header,1,0,Codes!Depth_Range,9) Workbook-level named ranges: Global_Sign_Table refers to: =Codes!Sign_Table Global_Table refers to: =Codes!Table In worksheet "Analysis", data validation on a cell is set to Custom formula: =$V16*VLOOKUP($P16,Global_Sign_Table,3)>=0 This be...

Static Range, Dynamic Chart Data
I have read some great tips on making my chart dynamic that involv changing the range. The chart I would like to create is a 12 month lin chart. I want the chart to always be 12 months in length, but the poin to simply not be plotted if the value of the cell "blank". In othe words, stop the line short of the end of the plot area. The 12 months of charted cells have a formula lik =IF(A1=0,"",SUM(A1:A6)). So you see a blank cell if A1 is 0. But th chart shows this as a zero value. If I delete the contents the char does what I would like. Is there a way to simply change the ...

A Crystal Beginner

Restrict spreadsheet to data entry only
Fairly new to Excel. Once I've set up the structure of my spreadsheet, and entered the formulae for calculated cells etc, how can I ensure that the spreadsheet is used just for data entry and that the structure cannot be altered in any way? TIA You can use protection. You need to go to every cell you want for data entry and unprotect tha cell. You can select multiple cells... right mouse click... Then hi format cells... The last tab says protection, select it and click th check box to unprotect these items. Now you can then in the menu bar hit Tools... Protection... and the Protect...

Keeping data without losing Formula's
I have a worksheet (named monthly) with a column of data under a certain month (which will change each time data is entered - stocktake). However this column needs to be edited each month and has formula's in it so it will work (not always the same data in the column). I decided to put this data into a yearly sheet under the particular month. The only way I can do it at the moment is to copy and paste special. How do I (or is there a way to) put this data in a sheet that has all the months but under the month that is signified. In other words I don't want formula's in the yearl...

Excel VBA / Data Sorting / Maniputaltion
i have a long list, which i imported from other data base. The problem is: 1. In each cell, besides data (data is in alphabates) there are som numeric characters which i dont want . How can i get rid of all those unwanted numbers from data, from all th list? 2. The data is in every second row, ie. one row is empty. How can i Delete those empty/blank rows from the list -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com 1. I think we will need to see a sample of your data 2. Sort the data -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am sending the sample data file... ...

Get paid while you get online!!

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

How do I get??

Need to change data entered into cell. HELP ASAP!!
I have a list of over 7000 unique numbers (i.e. 123 or 77- 123). I need to add the letters "MH" in front of each number. Is there an easier way to do this than to click and edit each individual cell manually? Please help, anyone have any suggestions? Lots of thanks in advance. Hi one way (if you only have numbers): use acustom format : "MH"0 another way: in the adjacent column in row one (lets say in B1) enter the formula ="MH" & A1 copy this formula down After this select column B and copy the contents (CTRL+C). goto 'Edit - Paste Special' a...

How to export fixed length records to a data file.
I'm creating a query for our school using the school district's standard student data format. All fields are fixed width. For example the WhiteEthnicFg field is exactly one character of either "Y" or "N". In our database we record that field as a Boolean. The Date-of-Birth District's field is an 8 character field in the format mmddyyyy. Most fields are fixed width 'Char' fields, but I don't know how to make the output match the correct width. There are decimal fields 'with one implied decimal point'. Example: 0000100 will result ...

Get notified when Out of Office is on

Extract Data
Main worksheet has members name in Comumn B. In column R is table he/she is assigned to at conference. I need to extract names of all people who are assigned to ,say, table 11 and put them in another column, one after the other, with no blank rows . Thanks for your help. Hi how do you identify exactly who is assigned to a conference (post some example rows) One way would be to use the Advanced Filter feature (try the addin: http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Tucson Guy" <TucsonGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im N...

Getting Control ID in Active X control

DATA LABEL HELP
I have a regular area chart and my data labels are several points away from where the value crosses the X axix.....in other words I need my data labels to move up each time the graph is drawn. I am using VBA to draw the graphs automatically - I know I can move the labels manually but since I have this fully automated, I need to automatically have the data labels sit on top of the value where the top of my area graph crosses the X axis...... PLEASE HELP! If the points have data labels, and you've used one of the standard positions for the labels (above, left, etc.), the data labels mov...

Get photos from a camera