How do I get a cell value using another cells value

I have multiple worksheets. I want to get a cells value from one worksheet
based on the cell value of another
E.g. Worksheet 1 Cell reference A1 contains B298
I want on worksheet 1 in cell reference A2 to contain the value in worksheet
2, Cell reference B298

Regards
Chris
0
Chris6982 (632)

Chris,

put in cell a2 =indirect(a1)

HTH

Andi

I have multiple worksheets. I want to get a cells value from one worksheet
based on the cell value of another
E.g. Worksheet 1 Cell reference A1 contains B298
I want on worksheet 1 in cell reference A2 to contain the value in worksheet
2, Cell reference B298

Regards
Chris

0
andibevan (33)
5/20/2005 10:44:10 AM
Slight mod

=INDIRECT("Sheet2!"&A1)

--

HTH

RP

"Andibevan" <andibevan@remove-to-prevent-spam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Chris,
>
> put in cell a2 =indirect(a1)
>
> HTH
>
> Andi
>
> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have multiple worksheets. I want to get a cells value from one worksheet
> based on the cell value of another
> E.g. Worksheet 1 Cell reference A1 contains B298
> I want on worksheet 1 in cell reference A2 to contain the value in
worksheet
> 2, Cell reference B298
>
> Regards
> Chris

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
5/20/2005 11:20:04 AM
Ummm am i missing something,why dont you just type = Sheet2!B298 in cell A2?
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!

"Chris" wrote:

> I have multiple worksheets. I want to get a cells value from one worksheet
> based on the cell value of another
> E.g. Worksheet 1 Cell reference A1 contains B298
> I want on worksheet 1 in cell reference A2 to contain the value in worksheet
> 2, Cell reference B298
>
> Regards
> Chris
Yes you are missing the fact that A1 might change to C298

--

HTH

RP

"paul" <paul.shepherd@nospam.paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> Ummm am i missing something,why dont you just type = Sheet2!B298 in cell
A2?
> --
> paul
> remove nospam for email addy!
>

> "Chris" wrote:
>
> > I have multiple worksheets. I want to get a cells value from one
worksheet
> > based on the cell value of another
> > E.g. Worksheet 1 Cell reference A1 contains B298
> > I want on worksheet 1 in cell reference A2 to contain the value in
worksheet
> > 2, Cell reference B298
> >
> > Regards
> > Chris

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)

Combining cells
Using Excel 2002: I will open a text file into excel. This file has no formatting, but the end result would be using two columns. The text file for example has: Music1 from site1 and site2 special 90876 Music100 extra from site1 87654 Music02 misc sites 10020 I want to put the numbers, 90876, 87654, 65409 in the same column "B" and have the other text combined into one column "A". When I use space delimited I can move the numbers in the same column. How do I combine the rest of the text which are word for word in columns A,B,C,D etc into one column "A"? End...

Using Outlook Custom Forms through OWA
Hi all, Is there any way to implement this? We have an Exchange 2003 server with Sp2. Users out of office hope to use outlook custom forms through OWA. Can this be done? ...

Target.Offset(0, 36).Value Help
In the below, I use this to force the persons USERNAME to populate 36 rows to the right in a column I hide. This shows me who was in a spreadsheet and updating ONE specific column... Column AD. My question is this... Can I poulate a named range with their USERNAME. I want to insert a named range, then force the USERNAME there. (INSERT>NAME>DEFINE>) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Const myRange As String = "ad7:AD90" 'Const myrange As String = "A3,A6,A8,A11,A16" On Error GoTo stoppit Application.EnableEvents = False...

How to return a range of values in a drop-down.
Is there a way to have Excel return a range of values in a drop down in one cell based on input from another cell. As an example: Cell A1 has the text "PVC Pipe" I want cell A2 to get input from A1, read through a table, and return the corresponding values (sizes) of PVC pipe. The results in A2 would be the following in a drop down: 4" 6" 8" If cell A1 contained the text "Metal Pipe" it would return values (sizes) of metal pipe from a table and not display the sizes of PVC pipe. 10" 12" 15" The bottom line and...

AutoArchive using VBA CDO CdoPR_AGING_PATH
I am trying to programatically change the path to the archive file. My pst has may folders and I dont want to change the path on each one by hand. Using the code I can change the GRANULARITY and the PERIOD but the path wont change. ( I am verifying the settings by right clicking the folder and selecting AutoArchive). I have tested in both Outlook 2002 and 2003. On 2003 I was able to change the path when I ran the code the first time but subsequent attempt failed to change the path. Strangely when I view the path (objMessage.Fields.Item(CdoPR_AGING_PATH).Value) via code after I change it, i...

Tax Value Not Transferring
We currently have our salespeople working in orders, and once the order is complete, we transfer it to an invoice. When we perform these transfers, if there is any value entered in the Tax field, this value is not transferred onto the invoice. We always check the box labeled "Include Totals and Deposits," but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Also, we noticed that whenever the shipping method on an invoice is changed, the value in the tax field changes to 0. Is there any way to prevent either of these things from happening? ...

How to paint connections by value
Hi, Im doing rack diagram, so i need to paint all cables with different colors by their lengths. I can see all connections lengths from "size & position" one by one, How to do that? now looking up that "color by value" command and it doesn't work? Pls help? "Tulga" <tulgabat@gmail.com> wrote in message news:856c2ee0-0b04-48d0-9ad0-67791fd83b4e@w9g2000prb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Im doing rack diagram, so i need to paint all cables with different > colors by their lengths. I can see all connections lengths from "...

wrong number in cell
In XP PRO & Excel 2002 I have a cell formated as General and unlocked. I try to enter a number { 08607100 } I hit enter and it changes to { 8607100 } no matter what I try it. This is another example of a problem in a cell I enter { 03E2 } hit enter and it changes to { 3.00E+02 }. Is there some bug in certain cells or with excel 2002 or is there some setting I am missing? Help -- Thanks MK pipco wrote: > In XP PRO & Excel 2002 I have a cell formated as General and unlocked. I > try to enter a number { 08607100 } I hit enter and it changes to { 8607100 &g...

Copy row2 cells down to last cell where the whole row isn't all blank
Hi Colo, I tried to run your code to copy formula in cell K2 (I place the cursor on cell K2) down to last cell in column K, it doesn't copy down the formula. Is there anything missing from the code ? Please help and thanks very much! Sub Cell2CopyToEnd() Dim col As Long col = ActiveCell.column Range(Cells(2, col), Cells(Rows.Count, col).End(xlUp)).Formula = _ Cells(2, col).Formula End Sub --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I put a value in K99 (so the macro knew when to quit) and I put a formula in K2. With K2 selected, I ran the code and it worked fine. The co...

Likert scale calculation
I have used the following table in my survey: Frequency of use - check which on is applicable: every few hours every few mins every few secs item1 item2 item3 .. .. .. item10 so the sample data looks like this: id item1 item 2 ............. item10 1 hours hrs ................. mins 2 secs hrs ................. mins 3 mins hrs ................. mins I want to add up the hours secs mins for each item..for example (from the above sample): ev...

A Crystal Beginner

Duplicate cells #4
I have an excel spreadsheet of approximately 1500 Names,addressses etc. there are many duplicate cells of which I want to delete the duplicates and I am looking for the best way to accomplish this. I am new to excel and using formulas but if there is a way to use color to point out the duplicates, that would be very helpfull, thanks You could try to use Advanced Filter to get rid of the duplicates. Ensure that you have headers in row 1 (Name, Address_1, Address_2 etc) and highlight all the data including the headers. Then click Data | Filter | Advanced Filter and in the pop up click Un...

Get paid while you get online!!

using the $ to lock formulas
We are using the $ to lock the formula but when columns are inserted the formula still changes. How do we correct this? Thank you for any assistance you can give. Hi one way would be to use something like INDIRECT("A1") to always refer to cell A1. Note: copying this formula won't change the cell reference -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany frankmlr wrote: > We are using the $ to lock the formula but when columns > are inserted the formula still changes. How do we correct > this? > > > Thank you for any assistance you can give. One way: =I...

Spreadsheet getting corrupted

referencing a cell determined by name in another cell
How do I reference a cell within a formula based on the contents of another cell? For example if one cell contained a reference/address for a column array, how could I refer to this cell (and hence the column array) within the vlookup function instead of having to put in the actual table array. In other words an external way of changing the table array rather than going into the formula. VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup) Hi use INDIRECT for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ricardo wants answers" <ricardo wants answers@discussion...

Scaling XY charts with suppressed starting value
The autoscaling feature of the Excel graphing function seems to have (limited) mind of its own. I'm trying to graph Y-values in the -1.5 t 1.5 range and X-values from 190 to 410 with the minimum from 190 to 29 and the max value from 290 to 410. The autoscaling of Y works fine, but the X-axis always start at 0 while the high value properly sets the maximum. Of course, I could fi the minimum at 190, but that is not what I had in mind. Does anyone know how to overcome this limitation without using a macro -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Per - You need to make an XY Sca...

Using CTabCtrl!!!
Hi All! I am looking forward to have an idea of how to draw controls on the CTabCtrl. One way I have in mind is draw the child controls on a separate dialog and draw the dialog on the CTabCtrl window. But the problem is when I do this with the code CTestDlg *pDlg = new CTestDlg; dlg.Create(IDC_TEST_DLG,GetDlgItem(IDC_TAB_CTRL)); it even covers the tabs. Now how can I fix it within the tab window at appropriate place. I have tried to draw the group box on the area of tab control and make that group box the parent window, this will make the new dialog at the appropriate position. But I don...