How do I format text as a hyperlink in Excel

I want up to 1,00o cells in a single Excel worksheet to display as hyperlinks
to general web addresses (mainly home pages).  Each cell is a different web
address.  How do I format the Excel cells to display and act as a hyperlink?
0
neil7418 (200)

The formula to use is

=HYPERLINK(actual_address, friendly_address)

where actual_address is the full link to the website (or other excel
sheets/files), and friendly_address is what is shown in the Excel cell
- underlined and coloured blue. If friendly_address is missing, the
actual_address is shown.

Hope this helps.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
1/10/2006 11:37:45 AM
Pete
Thanks for this BUT
I already have a list of all the 1,000 web addresses pasted into a column on
the worksheet.  I think youir method requires me to convert these to a
formula on a line by line basis - i.e. 1,000 fomulae!!  There must be a
quicker, more global way?  I know in the past I have disabled e-mail
addresses from displaying as web addresses glovbally, is there a reverse of
that process that will convert existing typed addresses to display and
operate as hyperlinks??
Neil

"Pete" wrote:

> The formula to use is
>
> =HYPERLINK(actual_address, friendly_address)
>
> where actual_address is the full link to the website (or other excel
> sheets/files), and friendly_address is what is shown in the Excel cell
> - underlined and coloured blue. If friendly_address is missing, the
> actual_address is shown.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete

0
neil7418 (200)
1/10/2006 12:06:02 PM
Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site to learn how to copy that formula down the
range you need:

http://contextures.com/xlDataEntry01.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

excel file size 0
Yesterday I saw alll excel, word files size 0 Kb from Windows Explorer. Please could you tell me what kind of virus attack my file and the name of virus I would be glad if you reply as soon as possible Thank Dokles Better to run your AV to get this information. You dont have an up to date AV? Hmmm. Go to www.housecall.trendmicro.com and run their online Scanner. Go to www.grisoft.com and DL their FREE AV "Dokles" <dokles@lycos.com> wrote in message news:3C539357-BDE2-4908-BCC1-ED456AB645F6@microsoft.com... : Yesterday I saw alll excel, word files size 0 Kb from Windows ...

negative number format

sharing excel over internet
Hi, is it possible to share an excel file over internet (just like we can share an excel file over intranet by sharinf sharing workbook from tools menu) so that more than one person can work on it. Tks E& Rgds, Amag ...

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

How do I do dashboard charts in Excel
I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales and profit numbers and would like to show them like a dashboard ( two small circles for Budget and Forecast and a bigger one underneath those two for Actual. All 3 circles with a hand point to the numbers linked to the source data ). Can anyone tell me how to make a start? Thanks and regards Nick Hi Nick, Here are some examples of speedo type gauges. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Speedometer.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/gauge.htm Cheers Andy Nick Cheng wrote: > I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales a...

Excel cannot find match
Using Excel 2003. Excel cannot find match for data that exists in spreadsheet when using the Find command. Any fixes? Perhaps Excel cannot find a match and doesn't need fixing. Your data may need fixing. Do you have extra spaces in the data? Are you looking for "entire cell contents" Are you looking for an exact match as in case-sensitive? Are you looking in formulas when you should be looking in values? See the available options under Edit>Find "Options>>" button. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:02:08 -0700, "GLH" <glhoo...

Save as Text File with Semi-Colon delimiter
I need to save a file from Excel 2000 to a text file with a semi colon delimiter. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Many Thanks Mark I don't know if you can do this directly in Excel but it is pretty quick to do it using Excel and Word 1) Save file in Excel as "Text (Tab Deliminated) 2) Close file and select NO on warning message 3) Open text file in Wor 4) If your data was across row 1 then use Replace>More>Special>Tab Character and enter ; for "replace with If your data was down column A then use Replace>More>Special>Paragraph Mark an...

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Excel Upgrade question
We are using MS Office 2000 Professional. We would like to upgrade only the Excel 2000 to 2003. Can we just upgrade Excel without upgrading the whole MS Office suite? If so, should we expect any conflicts when we run MS Word 2000, PowerPoint 2000, etc or can Excel run nicely on it's own? Our systems are 2 year old XP Pro and Home versions. Thanks for any informative response. -- ADArnold ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ADArnold's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12106 View this thread: http://www.excelf...

how do i make a word docx with both hyperlinks and form fields
How do I make a word document with both clickable hyperlinks and form fields to be filled out? I couldn't seem to apply the required protections for form fields without making the hyperlinks inaccessible. I tried putting the separating the section of the doc with hyperlinks from that with form fields but couldn't get the protection required for form fields to apply to one section and one section only. thanks See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/HLinksInForms.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps...

I can not get the text to print
I have a floor plan that I ahve created with text describing structure and such. The problem I am having is that when I go to print preivew it shows the document as I intend it. When I print the page the shapes and structures are there but no text. What am I doing wrong? "J Hendriks" <J Hendriks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3E8F0B2-4252-46EB-8B84-F7FBED77FD61@microsoft.com... >I have a floor plan that I ahve created with text describing structure and > such. The problem I am having is that when I go to print preivew it shows > the > docume...

Windows mail won't send ms excel attchments
windows mail won't send either MS Excel 97-2003 or 2007 formats if I try to send either by itself. I have to attach same file I want to send in both formats. Then, only the 97-2003 format actually gets through. Either way, I'm getting notice that Mail can't send one or more attachments. Any suggestions to help eliminate the glitch would be most appreciated. Windows Mail doesn't care what the attachment is. But make sure the file you are trying to attach is not open anywhere else (i.e. in Excel). Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "woodrow" wrot...

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

winver 5x(Build 2195:Service Pack 4)
I've windows XP professional, office 2000 (winver 5x(Build 2195: Service Pack 4), but have no Excell, Access or winword exe. files. How do I get it Hi Office 2000 conatins Word and Excel. Maybe re-run the installer from your original CDs -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "mitworld" <mitworld@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:E69E0237-E02B-4162-A0B2-100C81AD8590@microsoft.com... > I've windows XP professional, office 2000 (winver 5x(Build 2195: Service Pack > 4), but have no Excell, Access or winword exe. files. How do I get it ...

Conditional Formating Help

lookup text within string of text???
I need to look up "certain critera" within a string of characters, then return that "certain criterea" to a new column. Some examples of a strings of characters may look like these: K5J091509001 Sample PO#S881009 K55sample PO CarrieRJR TJ5 My "Certain Critera" I have listed on another sheet, named "REP ID" K5J S88 K55 RJR TJ5 How do I pull out the 3 characters of "Certain Criterea" from the string of text and copy or enter it into a new column? It's never consistant. This is the problem I'm having! Sales Reps enter...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

Capturing Shape Name/Text from OnAction property
How can I capture (assign) the text content of a shape (rectangle)into a procedure using the OnAction property for the shape? I have many shapes (rectangles) on a worksheet, each of which is named. When a shape is clicked, I need to assign the 'Characters.Text' content of that shape to a variable in the procedure called by the OnAction property. I am trying to create a usable 'generic' procedure rather than having a separate procedure for each shape. William, Do you have a separate procedure for each shape, or does each shape call the same procedure. Regards, Jim...