I used to use a spreadsheet program (2 years ago) that allowed me to lookup
an item and insert it into the worksheet.  I know the program was at least a
year old at that time (2002).  How do I create a list, reference it , and
then insert an item into a row of my choice?

Example:  Make of item, item description, and cost.

Does the data go on one worksheet and then get referenced and inserted into
the list of another worksheet?  If so, how?  I can't seem to get any answers
by reading books on the subject.  I no longer have access to the old workbook
from which to study.

Maybe that old workbook used =vlookup() or =index(match())

You could look at Debra Dalgleish's site:
and

to see if that rings a bell.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Find Duplicate names and delate

A code to import other xls data into one xls file
Hi there. Can anyone help me in creating a VB code in excel Module that imports data like file name;direct cost; and year from several xls spreadsheets [reports_1, reports_2, ...] (from different sheets and cells) into one spreadsheet [summary] into the following columns accordingly: (column 1 [file name]: file name; column 2 [direct cost]: dollar amounts, column 3 [year]: year)? i already have the code that pulls file names from the folder directory and pastes the data into column 1 [file name]. may be it will be easier to have the code refer to that column 1. Please note that t...

Issue retriving data from mssql 2005
Different queries accessing a storedprocedure sometimes hang until they are timedout. Calling the stored procedure mannually (Management Studio)(from the client computer that also executes the program) returns 1090 rows in one sec. EXEC spa08v1GetTransactions NULL ,'20091006','20091006' Executing the stored procedure from a simple app, just counting the rows gives me a timeout at 956 rows. This runs nicely against my test enviroment. SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(); cmd.Connection = new SqlConnection("Server=MyServer;Database=MyDatabase...

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Linking tables together
I have set up five tables in my database but now I want to merge the tables into one table. How do I do that? If all the tables have identical structures, you can use a union query. Select * from tbl1 Union Select * from tbl2 Union Select * from tbl3 ..... "Maggie" <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote in message news:266ff9f6-f9b8-4f77-88ea-358518bfc936@q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... >I have set up five tables in my database but now I want to merge the > tables into one table. How do I do that? You are best not to. The information in the tables will refer to a sp...

Finding an event

Copying portions of data
Is it possible to select a specific area of the worksheet using a find command (the data changes every day) and copy just that portion onto a new worksheet? Thanks Wendy Hi Wendy, If a verbal rule (or rules) can be devised to locate the area, then it is very likely that someone could aaist you with code to automate this. --- Regards, Norman "Wendy Clarkson" <wenan@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cs835v$6ag$1@hercules.btinternet.com... > Is it possible to select a specific area of the worksheet using a find > command (the data changes every day) and copy ju...

Lost Recent Documents List
Following a recent windows update my list of "recent documents" in all Office applications disapears every time my computer reboots. Is there a way to fix this? SeattleMike56 wrote: > Following a recent windows update my list of "recent documents" in all Office > applications disapears every time my computer reboots. Is there a way to fix > this? You haven't said the version of your Office but assuming you are using Office 2007, then open Word 2007 and try this: 1. Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options. 2. Click ...

List Validation
I was wondering if there was anyway you can have a drop down list in one workbook that comes from a different workbook. Example: I have a workbook saved with a list of names and I want to have that list of names come up in a form that I have saved in another workbook. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html note that the other workbook needs to be open -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It is a good thing to follow the first law of holes; if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey "Renee" <...

cannot find database

Limits in 'All Address Lists'?
Hi all! I try to rebuild a large number (~2000) of Ex5.5 recipient-containers in the E2k3 'all address lists' container. The LDAP filter for each address list is set on to the EX5.5 attribute 'obj-view-containers' (transferred to 'extension-Attribute-14' by ADC). I recognized that the AD-user attribute 'ShowInAddressBook' is a multi-valued field, with a limitation of around 800 entries (RUS won't work with more entries). This doesn't matter, because a recipient belongs only to 1 address list in most cases. Meanwhile I created about 1200 address lists...

How to make "This workbook contains links to other data sources" appear?
Hello How to make "Microsoft Excel This workbook contains links to other data sources To update all linked information, click Yes. To keep the existing information, click No." pop up or appear on the Task bar after clicking "Open Link" in "Linked Worksheet Object" in a context menu of a linked object in Word 2003 sp2? The window appear only after clicking an Excel button in the Task bar. ...

Outlook Mail: creating a quick mail list?
In my previous version of Outlook, I somehow created a new button for my "Mail" section that contained the 4 or 5 most frequently used e-mail addresses. When I wanted to e-mail one of these people, all I had to do was click on the drop-down menu and then click on the specific person, which then created a new untitled message form addressed to that person. Unfortunately, I lost this when I upgraded to 2003! Does anyone know how I can create the same again? Jay It is discussed in my guide which you can find here; http://www.sparnaaij.net/howto/customizetoolbar.htm -- Roady ...

option to insert column and row breaks
There should have an option to insert column breaks for printing. For example, when printing a sheet with only one column, but with 200 rows, it could be automatically broken into 4 columns of 50 rows, all fitting in just one page, instead of 4. This would save paper and allow easy reading of this kind of sheets. The same logic could be applied to rows... Thanks. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see ...

How do I create a comparison chart from a data list?
I want to create a bar chart. On the left is a list of services. Each bar represents a company. Each company will be shown in the chart to offer services up to a certain point, so the bars will get increasingly longer until you get to the bar for my company which shows the longest bar because it offers the most services. Any idea how to structure my data to get this type of chart? -comic guy I don't know if this will work for you? Just a suggestion +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: Services.zip ...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

Insert File Window
Using MS Outlook 2003 after I start a new email and then want to insert a file (paper clip icon, etc.) the next window comes up full screen. I can NOT make it a flexible size, like all the other windows, including Outlook itself. That is, the "size" box in the upper left corner is GONE. Any ideas on how to get it back?? Note: I also run MS Outlook Express and it still is working fine when I go to add a file. can you double click on the title bar to restore the size? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Excha...

ignoring text data in a cell when summing values in the same cell
I have entered text in cells along with a numerical value as a note pertainig to the values example, "2 - exist". Is there a way to tell Excell to ignore the text data in order to sum the values..do you place the text in brackets or parathesis or something similar? -- FM Much, much easier never to mix text & numbers in the same cell in the 1st place. One avenue here, try use Data>Text to Columns to split the numbers separate from the text, then you can sum (or whatever) the numbers col directly. Or, assuming your data is representative (ie numbers are to the...

How to reduce the number of shortcuts/links in the recent documents list?
When I look into the folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed. How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list? Cindy Cindy Parker wrote: > When I look into the folder: > > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent > > then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed. > > How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list? > > Cindy > Right click on the Start button and choose Properties --> Customize ...