how do I filter on text format in Excel?

I have a workbook containing text that I wish to filter based on the format
of some words.  IOW, for instance, all records (rows) with cells containing
text of a certain font color, or perhaps characters with the strikethrough
mark. I'm relatively familiar with advanced filtering, but this appears to be
something requiring a "filter by formula".  Does anyone have any experience
in this area?
0
tinker (6)

It is not in any built in function in Excel only way this would be possible
would be to use a UDF (a function written using VBA) in a help column
and then filtger on that help column plus the word itself. Next version of
Excel will have some of this built in.

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Tinker" <Tinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a workbook containing text that I wish to filter based on the
format
> of some words.  IOW, for instance, all records (rows) with cells
containing
> text of a certain font color, or perhaps characters with the strikethrough
> mark. I'm relatively familiar with advanced filtering, but this appears to
be
> something requiring a "filter by formula".  Does anyone have any
experience
> in this area?

0
terre081 (3244)
12/23/2005 7:01:08 PM
Take a look here:

    http://cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm

In article <E6FD961F-DF6A-4793-A970-500EF99ACD0A@microsoft.com>,
 Tinker <Tinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a workbook containing text that I wish to filter based on the format
> of some words.  IOW, for instance, all records (rows) with cells containing
> text of a certain font color, or perhaps characters with the strikethrough
> mark. I'm relatively familiar with advanced filtering, but this appears to be
> something requiring a "filter by formula".  Does anyone have any experience
> in this area?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Add a text Disclaimer to Outgoing message
Hello! I would like to add a text Disclaimer to Outgoing message in Exchange 2003 server? any idea? See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;317327. -- Denis McDowell [MSFT] "Technical" <technical-ms@t-systems.ch> wrote in message news:%23Qke3AfLEHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello! > > I would like to add a text Disclaimer to Outgoing message in Exchange 2003 > server? any idea? > > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:54:51 -0400, Denis McDowell [MSFT] wrote: > See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;317327. Be aware...

Criteria for Advanced Filter HELP
I have what I think is a simple question that I need answered IMMEDIATELY. I have a spreadsheet with 20 fields and I want to filter it so it only shows records that have something in of any of 5 of those fields. So once filtered, I will not have any records that have all 5 of those fields blank. I know I have done this before but I'll be damned if I can remember or find out how. -- Thanks You all are teaching me so much don't cross-post -- answer supplied in misc NG "knowshowrosegrows" <knowshowrosegrows@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACBC0...

Employee Filters

Filtering based on a filter
Hello, I have an Excel Worksheet with a Pivot Table at the top with a Filter and a data set returned from a DB2 database below it. I would like to filter the DB2 data set based on the Pivot Table filter that is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks! James, You can't filter two ranges on the same worksheet. You can, instead, drill-down on your pivot table, which will show all items that go into the value on a newly created separate sheet. The drawback to that is that you cna only drill down on one item at a time, and it is a separate sheet. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "James" <an...

"Outlook today" format (2002)
Outlook today, shows me the current date, but not the day. It then proceeds to show my appointments as days, but not dates. I find it hard to correlate the two sometimes because of this fact. Now I know I should know what day it is! But the display isn't as intuitive as it should be. Is there any way to change it? ...

Displaying the text for the 'Save as Complete' button
Hello, Is there a way to display this button text on the toolbar like the SAVE and Close button when logging completed activities? Can this be done in the isv.config file? Thanks, Maria First, open the URL of the activity in IE, such as: http://yourcrmurl/activities/phone/edit.aspx Go to View, Source. Find the button you're looking for within the <SPAN> tags. On my CRM page, I used: <SPAN tabindex="0" class="menu" style="padding:3px 3px 0px 3px" pl="3" pr="3" title="Save as Completed" action="SaveAsCompleted()...

Excel versions #3
I support a worldwide Excel application, and just recently we change our application so it can only run on the English version of Excel. However, we found out from some AP countries, such as Taiwan, that the need the non-English version of Excel for other applications they use. Is there a way you can have both the English and non-English version of Excel installed on the same computer -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Yes. I use Excel 2000, 2002 and 2003 all in English and 2003 in Swedish. There are some issues at times with help files.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No priva...

Question on the IMF filtering in exchange...
Hey I installed the IMF filter last night and it works great, with one exception. I set both thresholds to the same (5) and got almost all blocked emails into the archive that were junk...So that is good. However I had some users report that there was mail in their junk folder that should have been good Inbox mail. This I undersyand and can live with as folas-positives...the problem is, since both settings on the folter tab were set to 5, how does it know to send the mail to archive rather than Junk folder? Why wouldn't it just send them all to archive if both settings were at ...

Filtering without Filter
I just don't get the following. Any ideas? "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact". "B" row I have the person's name (employee). "C" row I have a quantity, just one number. Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or Employee2 or Employee3 have. Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on row "C". Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so should there be somekind of conditional IF function included? T...

Filtering #11
Hi, can ayone tell me how I could do the following in excel 2007 or 2010: Horse Trainer Sam M Jones John M Jones Colin S Attwater Steve J Jackson Brian B Mathers James B Mathers Martin G Raggy Patrick S Thomson What I want to do is filter the dataset on 'Trainer' so that it only shows me the Trainers who feature once in the list. So if I was to do this properly it would only show S Attwater and G Raggy as the other trainers have more than one horse..... Hopefully someone can help because it is driving me crazy !! Thanks David Give this macro a try... Sub HideDuplicateTr...

Formatting Subtotals #2
When using Data, Subtotals to create subtotals in a detailed spreadsheet, how do I set the format so that all subtotal lines are bolded and are followed by a specified number of blank rows? One option - Collapse the sheet to show only the subtotals, then select visible cells only (F5>Special>Visible Cells only) Then Bold those cells and, instead of adding empty rows, make the subtotal rows taller and format them with the vertical alignment at the top "slh" wrote: > When using Data, Subtotals to create subtotals in a detailed spreadsheet, > how do I set the f...

Junk filter BEFORE other filters?
I am running Outlook 2003 and the Junk filter was working really well. Then I started making other filters...one of them looks for my domain name in the headers and if it's there it moves the email to a folder. Problem is, this filter seems to activate before the junk filter, so the junk sn't being filtered now! How can I set the junk filter to do it's job first and THEN to run my own rules? -- Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com> I created this rule and set it as the first rule to run: Apply this rule after the message arrives with 'X-Spam-Level:******'or'...

open saved .msg file
One of my users has been saving Outlook 2003 mail messages as .msg files on their server home dir. When they go to view the saved file it appears there is no text. Internet headers are there, attachments are there. When I look at the file with a text editor and ignore the formatting, I can see the message text. Setup: Outlook 2003, Win 2000 Pro (SP4 - fully patched) Any Ideas? ...

How do I stop graphs reading zero in Excel from cells with ""?
Hi. I am making a model in Excel which is takes data updates from an outside source and then processes the information to develop charts on the data. There are a lot of charts so I have developed the model to process the data automatically as the data comes (down the sheet). This processing means that there are formulas in place, waiting for the data to come in. I use a =if(a1="","",<operation>) notation to do it for me. If there is data then the if statement is false and the data can be processed; if the data hasn't arrived yet then instead of getting...

Pasting into a filtered list
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to paste a list of price updates into a filtered list. - I have filtered the list to show just the products whose prices need to be updated, when I try to paste the updated prices, into the list, the prices are not just pasted into the visible cells but the hidden cells between. Can I paste into the visible cells only or do I have to update each line manually. I am using Excel 2002 Any help would be much appreciated Can you sort the list to bring the products that need updating together in the list? If not, try something like this: Your list of product...

Copy table text to Excel worksheet
I'm using Office XP and am putting text I typed in tables from Word into an Excel spreadsheet due to the columns expanding way beyond 11x17, Word's maximum width I believe. I set up my Excel spreadsheet columns to be wide enough to accept the text (8 columns across) but after copying, it put it all in the first column. Aside from copying each block of text individually, is there a quick way to do this? thanks so much, Regina Hi Regina yes, select your first column and choose data / text to columns you can then choose how your data is separated etc - if this doesn't work well...

Macro to copy a VLOOKUP formula

Controlling excel chart axis
Hi, I have automated plotting of charts of date v/s speed recorded on a particular day with date on the x-axis and speed on the y-axis for each car that is being tested say Focus, Escort and Ikon. The graph gets displayed properly for the first data selected (say Focus) from a combo box. Now, for the other selection, the graph axis are getting reversed i.e date is getting plotted on the y-axis and speed on the x-axis ! Is there some why to control this ? I’m using Excel with VBA. TIA Is it still the same type of chart? You must somehow be mixing up Values and XValues for ...

Emailing Excel Sheet
Hello, Has anyone ever emailed a sheet with excel 2000. I have done it all the time and it works great. I have one Outlook user that only gets the first two lines in the excel sheet. If I CC what i send him to someone else they get it just fine and he only gets 2 lines. What might be the problem? Hello, My suggestions would be: 1). Attach the file in classical way (Insert menu, with "File..." command); my experience with File -> Sent To -> Mail Recipient (As Attachment) was not always a good one. 2). Close all active applications, except Microsoft Outlook, use Help -...

apply filter macro
I have a access db that works on win xp but does not work on win 2007 I have a combo box that triggers a apply filter macro using a query sort. no problem on win 2000 or win xp or win 2003 Help AlT ...

Problem with text
I am setting up my first web site so I would be grateful for any help - thanks. I have a template which was developed in Dreamweaver which I am modifying and I have done most things. However, when I changed the font size, it went from one page to 5 pages. This was shown as very thin and long frames. I have reduced it to two but there are still three blank pages in Preview. I can't reduce it to one page because the text at the top of the frames/boxes has a lot of white space in front of it. I cannot beck space to go to the start of the frame/box. Any ideas anyone please? Th...

formatting cells #4
is there a formula to put the work "active" in all cells in a column automatically unless a date is entered to indicate inactive? Thank you Katherine you could test for a numeric input and maybe even put validation on the cells then use something like =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),"","Active") where in this case A1 would hold the date/blank copy down along -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "katie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5975...

Excel XP Upgrade (Text numbers)
My organization recently upgraded to Office XP. Now one of my very important excel files have had two columns of numbers apparently changing to text numbers. When I follow the recommendation to change those numbers back to a number value some hidden formulas give back a different value in the hidden cells. Should this reported error be ignored? I would really like to know what is going on to have confidence in my spreadsheet again. I am not sure it is an error except for the numbers turning into text. However in your original sheet you might have had a number format showing for in...

IP filtering based on corresponding MX records
Hello Dears, How can I implement the following? Used: Exchange 2003 SP2 in FE/BE configuration; FE is in perimeter zone (capable to “speak” with DNS, BE, DCs and retrieve info) So, somebody connects my FE to sent an e-mail to one of domain users. I need something like that: When connecting, see the “mail from: user@somedomain.xxx”; Verify if there is a record MX for the IP address from which the connection was established in DNS for the domain “somedomain.xxx” If not – drop connection (attention: MX record, not SPF) Is it possible with Exchange 2003 SP2 only? How? Thank you, Alex I be...