How do I enter a formula in a cell so that letters= a number i.e..

How do I enter a formula in a cell so that letters= a number i.e Y=5, N=2.
0
Alex4922 (316)

Try this.
Change 'cell_ref' to the cell with a letter in.
=If(cell_ref="Y",5,If(cell_ref="N",2,""))

"Alex" wrote:

> How do I enter a formula in a cell so that letters= a number i.e Y=5, N=2.
0
JockW (12)
2/23/2005 10:45:03 AM
See one response in your identical post in .newusers
(Please do not multi-post)
--
Rgds
Max
"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I enter a formula in a cell so that letters= a number i.e Y=5, N=2.

0
demechanik (4694)

Month Formula
Please advise me on how to write a formula that will start with January 2003, when I copy it to the next row it will increase the month to February and so on. When I get to December 2003, the following month will be January 2004. Thank You You don't need a formula: Enter January 2003 in A1 and February 2003 in A2. Select A1:A2 and drag the fill handle (lower right corner of A2) down as far as necessary. XL will autofill. If you want a formula: A1: =DATE(2003,ROW(A1),1) format as "mmmm yyyy". This will give you actual dates (e.g., 1/1/2003, 2/1/2003). I...

Click on Project number to generate report
I have a report "rptProjects" that I want run and filtered to show the details of just one project based on the project number clicked on in a summary form (continous form). The target report is linked directly to the data table and contains subreports linked to their respective data tables. I can get the Projects form to open to the specific record fine using the DoCmd.Openform, but DoCmd.Openreport does not work. I have placed the projects' PKeys on both the summary form and within the report and am using these in my code e.g REPORTID = Me!ReportID. Can anyone help wit...

how to write a formula
I have just taken over as manager of a boarding house and need to come up with some formulas to allow me to enter a dollar amount in cells c1:c12 and then have excel convert that to a day value( 1 day = 13.57) , it then needs to take the date in cells d1:d12 add the reultant conversion and place the result in cells e1:e12 as a date in real time ( 23/05/205). Also is it possible to get excell to print out a receipt for each entry that is made. I have never used excell and currently do it manually with Word which is hard and long In E1, just enter =D1+(C1/13.57), format as date and copy...

Excel Formula Help #6
Hi Everyone I have six numbers and letters in a cell on a spreadsheet and I am using the formula =RIGHT(F1,1) to obtain the first letter or number. However the formula is not picking the first number or letter in the string in all cases. Some of the cells are left blank. Any help would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow > .. Some of the cells are left blank Probably these are trailing white spaces which can be cleaned up using TRIM Try it as: =RIGHT(TRIM(F1),1) High-five? Click YES below -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:23,500 Files:370 S...

Getting a filename into VBA and putting it into cells
Basically what I have is a button that creates a new column that should be full of linked values. When the user hits the button, he is asked to select a file from his hard-drive; the code then takes the name of that file and creates a number of links in the new column. So for example: 1) User hits button and selects the closed excel file C:\Tempfiles\Testsheet.xls 2) Excel creates the new column and populates it with formulas that link to the file; in A1 it enters ='C:\Tempfiles\[Testsheet.xls]Overview'!$A$1 in A2 it enters ='C:\Tempfiles\[Testsheet.xls]Budget'...

Auto moving cells
We use Excel 2002 XP at work, and im trying to find out if its possible to get excel to auto move a cell to the next column. The spread sheet is setout with 5 columns and is about 20 rows down. Each cell has a number in it (which is the number of each till in the store). This gets change quite a few times each week and as they are all in alphabetical order, if a number needs adding or removed, we have to keep doing it buy insert shit cells down etc, then the problem is since its only 20 rows down 1 cell will move on to row 21. Would it be possible to make excel auto maticall move this cell...

cell range not changing when refreshing linked data- sumproduct fo
The cell range is not updating correctly to reflect the last row in the data sheet that is being refreshed. 5878 is the correct number of rows and 5824 is not. I can find and replace in my formulas to correct the problem, but it does it each time the data is refreshed. Any suggestions as to why? =(SUMPRODUCT((Expense!$B$2:$B$5878=$C$2)*(Expense!$C$2:$C$5878=$C$3)*(Expense!$W$2:$W$5824=$A6)*(Expense!$M$2:$M$5878))) I gave you the INDIRECT option y'day, but received no feedback from you in that thread. Looks like you're more interested in knowing why? One simple hunc...

Week Numbers
If I enter a week number in a cell I want to have a formula that returns the end date for that date (based on ISO week numbers) GK Hi gregork This will depend on the Year More info about week numbers you can find here http://www.rondebruin.nl/weeknumber.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "gregork" <gregork@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message news:421711da$1@clear.net.nz... > If I enter a week number in a cell I want to have a formula that returns > the end date for that date (based on ISO week > numbers) > > GK > > On Sat, 1...

serial numbers have dissappeared
Last week sometime between Tuesday night and Wednesday night the serial numbers for a particular item have dissappeared. On Hand qty is correct but the serial numbers vanished. This is the 2nd time this happened. We've been checking every process along the way a cannot figure out what might have happened.. Any ideas? Something similar happened to me. Someone voided a Sales Order that had a serialized part on it. On-Hand inventory was correct, but because the serial number was already assigned the part and the quantity fulfilled, when the user voided the order, it voided the insta...

E-mail not transferred outbox to sent item folder
Often I am experiencing a problem when I send an e-mail through Microsoft outlook stand alone desktop regardless with or without an attachment. The sent item does not move from the outbox folder to the sent item folder, even though the e-mail has been sent in most cases, I get a message through the send and receive dialog box stating "Reported error 0x80040109 unknown error 0x80040109". In some cases mail is sent normally and the items are transferred to sent item folder and don't get an error messages but it is more often I get the error message and the sent item stays...

What's wrong in this formula???? #2
I don't really understand: I have several 'ElseIf' conditions, for 3 it should be multiplied b 100, for 4 by 125 etc. So i have precise amounts to calculate according to the number of hours (2,3,4,5 or over). I don't see how can a MAX or MIN determination be the solution. Could you please clarify this? Cheers -- Ekse ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ekser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1140 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27484 Did you try it? -- ...

Advanced Filtering
Hello, I've got a worksheet with four columns, one of which is a user name. I would like to take all the user names that contain numbers (and their respective data) and put it into a separate worksheet. So far, I haven't had any luck doing this with any combination of wildcard operators. The format of the user names are two or three letters and then 4 numbers, or they are entirely text. So the list has data like abc1234, ab1234 and abcdef. I want all the abc1234 and ab1234 entries in a separate list. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Maybe you could use a helper column and filt...

Any font to surround number with a circle? #3
I haven't used the macro recorder b/c the only way i can think of to d it would be to insert a drawing sahpe around the number and then se the fill to be transparent. VBA macro wouldn't work very well fo that, I would rather use a mouse click/keystroke macro recorder like E Macro instead. What is truly needed is a whole new Font set tha surrounds the value with a circle but I have absolutely no idea how t do that or if a regular Joe who isn't an MS programmer can create custom font set -- Flamike ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Flamikey&...

Cell Reference to Page Header
Is is possible to reference a cell in the page header? I am hoping to have a sheet where demographic information can be inputted. Name, Address, etc. Then have that demographic information show in the header of every sheet printed. Hi only possible with VBA, not with a cell reference. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Allen wrote: > Is is possible to reference a cell in the page header? I > am hoping to have a sheet where demographic information > can be inputted. Name, Address, etc. Then have that > demographic information show in the header of every sheet &...

rounding up and down formulas
I am creating a retail price for our items. Problem is that I want the retail price to end in either a .49 or .99. Example when I figure my retail pricing off my cost it may come out to $6.74 and I would like to have a formula so that it would automatically come out to $6.99 or if it was to $6.49 if is was a lower number. Thanks! Try this: A1 = 6.74 =CEILING(A1+0.01,0.5)-0.01 -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "kris" <kris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:588D3E06-16D1-4719-A89F-69D37E461276@microsoft.com... >I am creating a retail price for our items. ...

The e-Mail that wouldn't Die
ON Aug 12, 2005 I received an e-mail from a governmental website notifying me of an event. Each time Outlook 2003 checked my SBC mail server, it got the message again, and again, and again. I deleted the messages, and they just keep coming back. I deleted them all on friday. Today I had 389 of them. All from the same website, all dated 8/12/05. I figure the website's mailer is looking for some sort of confirmation of receipt from Outlook and not getting it. Any ideas on why this is and how to stop it? I've unsubscribed from the site, by the way... Do you have any Anti-virus or Fire...

Whats wrong with this formula?????
First of all, I want to thank you guys, you are great!! I have this formula in a cel, and as soon as I add the last line, it comes up saying my formula has an error. =IF(AND(C3=0,C11=1),C7+(I7*2), IF(AND(C3=1,C11=1),L2+(I7*2), IF(AND(C3=0,C11=2),C7+(I7*2), IF(AND(C3=2,C11=2),L2+(I7*2), IF(AND(C3=0,C11=4),C7+(I7*2), IF(AND(C3=4,C11=4),L2*2+(I7*2), IF(AND(C3=0,C11=44),C7+(I7*2), IF(AND(C3=44,C11=44),c7+(i7*2)))))))) am I past the amount of formulas, or characters I am allowed to use? Jen You have exceeded the maximum number of nested IF functions, 7. Plus I think you have more arguments t...

Want to fine tune VLOOKUP formula given last week
The formula shown below was working fine. But as you can see for example between 0.75 & 0.8125 there are possible input that will give an error message. =VLOOKUP(I9, INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(D9, $P$1:$Q$9,2)),2,FALSE) Current table below: ".500 Dia. Bolt GRIP INCHES" Length (inches) 0.7500 1.50 0.8125 1.50 0.8750 1.75 0.9375 1.75 1.0000 1.75 1.0625 1.75 1.1250 2.00 1.1875 2.00 1.2500 2.00 1.3125 2.00 1.3750 2.25 1.4375 2.25 1.5000 2.25 1.5625 2.25 Until I tried to modify the table to cover ranges that the first table did not have. now I get #N/A New table below: ".500 Dia. Bolt GR...

Deleting e-mail attachments
How do I delete attachments from my e-mails in Windows Mail? It's real easy in Lotus Notes. Basically, you don't. One workaround is to click Reply, then resave the = message, but the headers will be changed. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Bernie " <bmpasternack@att.net> wrote in message = news:eA0hK9w8KHA.4600@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > How do I delete attachments from my e-mails in Windows Mail? It's = real easy=20 > in Lotus Notes.=20 > You would have to save...

Copying Formula Text
Is it possible to copy and paste just the text of a formula from on cell to another without going into the formula text window and usin Ctrl+c. Can this be done from multiple cells to multple cells. thanks -- jp ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jpx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37716 edit/copy select new location edit/paste special, select Values. OR... Right-click the BORDER of the selection and drag to the new location. When you ...

Getting row reference number
Kindly advise me how to get the row reference number of data which VLOOKUP function fetches. Thanks If you use the MATCH function, instead of the VLOOKUP function, it returns the row_index of the searched range. Example: if you have A, B, C in cells A11:A13 and you use =MATCH("C",A11:A13,1) that formula will return 3 (because A is the 3rd item in the list. To get the actual row number, use: =MATCH("C",A11:A13,1)+10 (because you need to add in the number of rows above cell A11) Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "Mahendhra" wrote: > Kindly ad...

Replicating Formulas between excel files
Hi there, Does anyone know how I can replicate formulas (verbatim) between difference excel files? I've tried to cut and paste between the separate files, but to my dismay it makes a reference to the original file. Regards, Nickchups The best procedure depends on how many you're trying to copy. For one or two, you can select the *entire* formula in the formula bar, right click and choose "Copy", then hit <Enter>. Now you can navigate to wherever you wish, and Paste it as many times and/or places you want. For numerous formulas, *unformulate* them by replacing t...

Enter month, get the first date
Hi, I want to be able to select the month from the drop down list and once the month is selected, I want the first date cell to change itself to the first date of the month selected. For rest of the date cells I have just used the formula "First date cell + 1" any help will be appreciated!! Thanks a lot in advance. Check your other post. Gaurav wrote: > > Hi, > > I want to be able to select the month from the drop down list and once the > month is selected, I want the first date cell to change itself to the first > date of the month ...

E-mail Preview Programs #4
I use two e-mail preview programs - they both are not 100% accurate although they used to be. I receive � 100 messages per day. (I've been using PCs since the early '90s and was not careful at first 'cause I didn't know better.) Luckily, the preview programs make it easy to delete junk. The first program is MailWasher Pro. The second is not really a program but a web site: that of Adelphia, my ISP. My e-mail program is MS Outlook. Let's say a preview program indicates that I have 60 e-mail messages. I delete 50 of them, leaving me 10 messages. Then I download the remainin...

Moving curesor in excel a set number of coulumns to the right or l
In excel 2003 I want to move the cursor a set number of columns to the right or left a set number of columns. Tab does not work for what I need. I want the active cell to move x number of columns over to the righ tor left. Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "JPD" <JPD@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:A234A0DB-96CB-404B-AF45-5FDDF5B5DCD0@microsoft.com... > In excel 2003 I want to move the cursor a set number of columns to the right > or left a set number of columns. Tab does not work for what I need. I want > the ...