How do I embed FIND function in a cell

I am creating a large excel file that has lots of info that several people
will need to search through that have limited computer knowledge. To make it
easier on them is there a way to embed the FIND function into a cell that is
easy for them to find and use. They can't seem to remember that Ctrl+F gets
them what they need and they seem to lose the icon from their tool bars every
time I place it there.
0
fhires (2)

well you could always just make a BRIGHT RED cell that tells them how to find
it.

"fhires" wrote:

> I am creating a large excel file that has lots of info that several people
> will need to search through that have limited computer knowledge. To make it
> easier on them is there a way to embed the FIND function into a cell that is
> easy for them to find and use. They can't seem to remember that Ctrl+F gets
> them what they need and they seem to lose the icon from their tool bars every
> time I place it there.
0
Pringles (23)
11/10/2004 2:38:05 PM
but if you enter an interacive text box somewhere i'm sure there's a way to
get it to seach for text within the sheet.

"fhires" wrote:

> I am creating a large excel file that has lots of info that several people
> will need to search through that have limited computer knowledge. To make it
> easier on them is there a way to embed the FIND function into a cell that is
> easy for them to find and use. They can't seem to remember that Ctrl+F gets
> them what they need and they seem to lose the icon from their tool bars every
> time I place it there.
0
Pringles (23)
11/10/2004 2:43:01 PM
Like I inferred...I'm trying to make it idiot proof and i've tried all of
that type of stuff.

"Pringles." wrote:

> well you could always just make a BRIGHT RED cell that tells them how to find
> it.
>
> "fhires" wrote:
>
> > I am creating a large excel file that has lots of info that several people
> > will need to search through that have limited computer knowledge. To make it
> > easier on them is there a way to embed the FIND function into a cell that is
> > easy for them to find and use. They can't seem to remember that Ctrl+F gets
> > them what they need and they seem to lose the icon from their tool bars every
> > time I place it there.
0
fhires (2)
11/10/2004 2:45:01 PM
Just about the time you think you have it "idiot-proof" a newly-mutated strain
of idiots will arrive on the scene.

Enable the Forms Toolbar.  Click on the Button Icon.

Draw a large button on the worksheet.

Right-click on Button and "Edit Text".  Type in an appropriate message.

Right-click again.

Assign this macro which you have copied and pasted into a general module in
the workbook.

Sub findit()
  Application.SendKeys ("^f")
End Sub

Warning: one of the idiots will find a way to clear the button from the
sheet<g>

Although you could Protect the Worksheet and not allow Objects to be
edited/deleted.

Password the protection.

Whoops!  Someone could crack the Password<g>

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 06:45:01 -0800, fhires <fhires@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Like I inferred...I'm trying to make it idiot proof and i've tried all of
>that type of stuff.
>
>"Pringles." wrote:
>
>> well you could always just make a BRIGHT RED cell that tells them how to find
>> it.
>>
>> "fhires" wrote:
>>
>> > I am creating a large excel file that has lots of info that several people
>> > will need to search through that have limited computer knowledge. To make it
>> > easier on them is there a way to embed the FIND function into a cell that is
>> > easy for them to find and use. They can't seem to remember that Ctrl+F gets
>> > them what they need and they seem to lose the icon from their tool bars every
>> > time I place it there.

0
Gord
11/10/2004 10:20:11 PM
Just my opinion...

You can treat the users like dopes and they'll continue to be dopes.

If you encourage them to learn ctrl-f (edit|find), they might find that it's
useful in almost all windows programs.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish and he'll never
go hungry.

(or teach a man to fish and you'll never see him on a Sunday morning???)

--

Dave Peterson
0

find redundant entry...
Hello, I'm using very big Excel file, where some rows is redundant... Problem is not obvious, because redundant entry doesn't contain the same information (for example: new product product new n.e.w. product new prod all of aboce contain information about the same product. I'm thinking about writing macro which get some characters from left, than try to find in other rows.... next get some character from right, than try to find... and so on..but maybe You have more efficient algorithm or any idea how to do that ? ...

How do I find my microsoft exhange server?
i can not get my microsoft outlook to work. says i need a microsoft exchange server? Outlook doesn't require an Exchange Server to work. If you are a home/small bus user that works with POP3/IMAP accounts offered by your ISP, Outlook works fine. Can you tell us which version of Microsoft Office/Outlook you have installed so we can point you in the right direction on how to setup Outlook to work with your preferred account type? "michele" <michele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B74D0BA-280D-41FA-A7BE-7ED0FF2A11CC@microsoft.com... >...

dont send bulk e-mail in advance find
hey i was jst pondering " why does "Dont send Bulk e-mail" attribute not exist in advance find ". If is it by design then what is the reason? regards Aami I believe this is just an oversight. I have read somewhere about a fix for this but I am not sure if this was available or in development -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD) Lead Developer Aviva IT Web: aviva-it.nl "Aami" wrote: > hey > > i was jst pondering > > " why does "Dont send Bulk e-mail" attribute not exist in advance find > ". If is it by design then wha...

Where can I find cartoons of Charlie Brown?
Hi, I'm looking for clip art or cartoon pictures of Charlie Brown. Anyone know where to find them? Thewolffn http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/peanuts/index.html What does this have to do with Excel? Jerry Thewolffn wrote: > Hi, > > I'm looking for clip art or cartoon pictures of Charlie Brown. Anyone know where to find them? > > Thewolffnhttp://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/peanuts/index.html S/he got an answer! <g> -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity ...

How to let Embed Excel WorkSheet support Excel Addins?
Hi Gurus I wrote an application which has an embed excel table. I tried to allow user using "Solver" and "Data Analysis" addins when they working on this table. But when I click on "Solver", it will report an runtime error and "Data Analysis" just do nothing(No dialog popup). I tested this two addins on Microsoft Word (by insert a Excel Table in word document), same problem happened. Is this mean embed excel worksheet can not using Addins? Is there any solution on this? Robin Thanks "Robin Wei" <robin@softwaresecure.com> д���ʼ� ...

Macro to change cells' display, Pounds, euro, dollars
I have a spreadsheet which I plan to protect all but a handful of fields for the user to enter various money amounts. I'd like to include a BUTTON in the spreadsheet that will force the display of any money field to pounds, dollars, or euro. Mostly a cosmetic change, and I don't want the user to have to select the fields to change since some are locked. Is there any example like this using a button/macro? Mark, Maybe like this, to change specific cells: Sub ChangeCurrFormat() Dim rngCurrency As Range Dim MyMsg As String Dim myStyle As Integer Set rngCurrency = Range("A1,B3,C...

Advanced Find Limits
I was wondering what the limits on Advanced Find are. Does anyone know what the max records returned is? My experience so far is 10,000 records, does that sound correct? Thanks for any info. Hey there, yes the max # of records is 10,000. Find 10,000 limiting?? So did we! Check out this guy's blog on how to cheat the system. http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/2006/11/maximum-amount-of-records-in-excel.html "dmiller" wrote: > I was wondering what the limits on Advanced Find are. Does anyone know what > the max records returned is? My experience so far is 10,000 rec...

Where do I find archived calendar infromation?
Outlook 2003/Calendar Where is the archived calendar info and how do I view it? Should be in your Archive PST file (most likely named Archive.PST) , open it using the File menu > Open > Outlook Data File "Pegleg" <Pegleg@usnavyret.mil> wrote in message news:7rv7f4dv281krpl7hghglfd6odqlmvf205@4ax.com... > Outlook 2003/Calendar > > Where is the archived calendar info and how do I view it? ...

changing font sizes without changing cell sizes
i have a large spreadsheet on which i need to font sizes smaller. the text is too large and runs across cells. when i select all and decrease the font size for the worksheet, everything gets smaller, including the row height. i would like to change the font size without changing the cell size. is this possible? I just tried it in Excel 2000. Cell height & width did NOT change. What version of Excel are you using? "sam lipman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89BD11E1-4F17-4924-B341-B384147A69DC@microsoft.com... > i have a large spreadsheet on...

Help function in danish
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have a danish version of Microsoft Office for mac. All menu's are in danish , but when i active the help function answers is in English. How do i change that ? You can't switch User Interface Languages in Microsoft Office on the Mac. Do you have an English version also installed? If so, we may need to separate the installations into two separate user IDs. Hope this helps On 15/03/10 6:19 AM, in article 59bb5338.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Martin_Hjadstrup_Hansen@officeformac.com&...

embed dialog into another dialog
how can be done? thanks what do you mean 'embed'??? you can open a dialog from another dialog just like you would open it from another application. "Mastupristi" <cialdi_NO_SP@M_firenze.net> wrote in message news:20040728165812.00003ab8.cialdi_NO_SP@M_firenze.net... > how can be done? > > thanks On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:51:50 -0400 "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote: > what do you mean 'embed'??? you can open a dialog from another dialog > just like you would open it from another application. I mean that I wand to define 2 dia...

Can a functional manager update his/her resources tasks completion
Can a functional manager update his/her resources tasks completion in a project server file? Project manager is not the same as the functional manager. siphu -- Yes. Refer to the steps shown in the following FAQ: http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/CreateProxyToEnterProgress.aspx Hope this helps. -- Dale A. Howard [MVP] VP of Educational Services msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com http://www.projectserverexperts.com "We write the books on Project Server" "siphu" <siphu@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Runtime error 2495
I converted an Access 97 database to Access 2002. On selecting a combo box Runtime error 2495 - cannot find the field '|' occurs. This does not occur in Access 97. The error occurs in the following event procedure Private Sub MessageId_AfterUpdate () 'Refresh form Me.Requery End Sub I have also tried replacing Me.Requery with DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGotoNew and the same error occurs. Any suggestions to fix this problem? ...

CHOOSE function
Hi, Is there a way of using the CHOOSE function if you have more than 29 values? AND Is there a way of avoiding typing in all of the 29 (or more) values into the formula box? Thank you Wouldn't VLOOKUP with a lookup table be better suited than a great whack = of values in one CHOOSE formula? Or with a list of sorted values in A1:A34 and a list of values in B1:B34 In D1 enter =3DLOOKUP(C1,A1:A34,B1:B34) Enter a lookup value in C1 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:47:55 -0700, amanda = <amanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi,...

More complex Frequency function
Hello, Can you please help me on this one? I have this table to wicj I apply the frequency function (=FREQUENCY(B7:B13,D7:D10) ), which is ok. Age # of People Bin Frequency 33 6 10 0 34 25 15 1 14 9 20 2 17 6 30 1 29 16 3 20 4 35 1 Now, I want to calculate the frequency based on the number if people I have in that age. For instance, the frequency of 15 should be 9 and not 1 (there are 9 persons with 14 yrs of age); the freq of 20 should be 10 and so on. How can I do it? Than you, ...

Outlook cannot find MSO97.DLL
I am trying to start Outlook and I get the error "A required .DLL file, MSO97.DLL, was not found." I checked Microsoft's support site and found a document that described the problem asked me to fix the registry. However all the registry entries are fine and the dll's are in the same location (MSO97.DLL MSO7enu.dll). Does anyone know what the problem could be? I am not connecting to an exchange server, I am running Outlook on my home computer (stand alone). Thanks for the help! Hi pnagpal, have you already read this article? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx...

extract info from cell, then count
I have a 2-part question: (i) I have 1000's of e-mail addresses but want to extract the countr from the e-mail i.e. abc@def.de, where de (Germany) is needed. How d I isolate the ".de" (and others eg .fr, .edu, .com etc etc) (ii) Having done the above, I then need to do a count. Rather than us COUNTIF and include the code for every country in the world, is ther any other way of counting? I guess a Pivot table? thanks, cathal..... -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: =MID(A1,FIND("^",SUBSTITUTE(A1,".","^",LEN(A1)-LE...

How to extract number from formula in a cell?
In XL 2007, I have a column of cells with a formula like "=C2-1234.5". I'm building another set of formulas for another data table elsewhere on the sheet, and I need to extract the number from the other formula. A twist: sometimes the formula has been added to alng the lines of "=C2-1234.5-789.5". I need to extract the first number only. Is there an easy way to make this happen? Ed Use Edit - Replace! Works on formulas too. -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup...

Can I select cells 3 columns away from a value in a line
In column A I have several Names, In column D I have certain values. In a cell I want to collect the values of the line in column D if a certain name is on the same line in column A I know if I use sum I will get the total value, but is there a way automaticly to put the value there if the "name is in column A? col A col B col C col D col E col F Name Start End Hours Jack 9:00pm 3:00pm 6:00 John 10:00am 2:00pm 4:00 James 11:00am 5:00pm 6:00 Jack 9:00pm 3:00pm 6:00 John 10:00am 2:00pm 4:00 James 9:00am 1:00pm 4:00 Name Tot hours Jack 12...

IF NOT or IS NOT function #2
I am trying to write a macro to display a message if a certain cell does not contain certain data. (I am working in Visual Basic) i.e If cell F1 = 100 then end If cell F1 is not 100 then display a message "please re-enter data" Can anyone please help You don't need a macro for that, Nick. Try this: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/drop-down_using_data_validation_in_microsoft_excel.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com Nick Wright" <NickWright@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E8D66ABB-A1C4-4041-A754-...

Can I Find My Office 2008 Product Key?
I wanted to register online using my laptop and my DVD is at home. It wants my product key. Is there any way to find this on my machine, or do I just need to wait until I get home. We're also buying some copies for the office and it would be nice to know what product key is installed on each machine so we can be sure we're in compliance. Thoughts? Really? I thought registration asked for the Product ID, as opposed to the Product Key (aka installation code, license key, whatever). Your Product ID is in the About window of any Office app--About Word, etc. By the way, registration do...

How do you find your posts on this forum?
How do you find the topics you've posted to on this site? I find some of mine at the foot of "my profile" page, however what I do not understand is why only a few, and not all my posts are there! "Pamoola55" wrote: > How do you find the topics you've posted to on this site? I'd use google. Give it enough information (keywords/author/subject): http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.excel.*&num=100 Pamoola55 wrote: > > How do you find the topics you've posted to on this site? -- Dave P...

count coloured cells in a range. Specific colour Red, Green, Blue
Hi I have filled in some cells with different colours, using the fill tool Red Blue Green I need a formula which will calculate each Red cell in a given range? I need a formula which will calculate each Blue cell in a given range? I need a formula which will calculate each Green cell in a given range? Again the range I need will be two different ranges. E.g A1:B5 and D1:D5 I look forward to your response Hi Sizz, See reponse in Programming. --- Regards, Norman ...

email can't find host
my email can't find a host -keep getting error message Thanks for sharing. "courtney" <courtneycrowl@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:F0A33ACF-7064-4132-883C-68D6215DB77F@microsoft.com... > my email can't find a host -keep getting error message Well, don't keep the error message a secret. Right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply = here. We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message.=20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/van...

Apply a Function to a Button in a Form
I am trying to apply a function (wchich is contained in a module) to a button in a user input form that will read the value in once field of the form and convert that value to a different format in a different field in the form. Here is the function that I am trying to apply: Sub DegToDMS(ByVal L As Double, D As Integer, M As Integer, S As Double) ' ' Converts a decimal degree to Degrees, Minutes, and Seconds ' Seconds may contain up to 3 decimal places. ' e.g. 15.5 -> 15,30,0 ' D = Int(L) L = (L - D) * 60 M = Int(L) S = Val(Format((L - M) * 60, "#.###&q...