How do I delete merged cells in Excel without deleting the final d

I have a column of dates that was formatted YY/MM/DD that I wanted formatted
MM/DD/YY.  I split the cells then recombined the 3 new columns into a 4th
using the concatenate function.  How do I delete the 3 columns without
deleting the combined data in the 4th?

Thanks,
Mary

First, if the data were really dates, you should be able to just format the
cells the way you want.

But if it's text that looks like data, you did ok!

You can either hide the original columns and keep the concatenation formula

--or convert the column of formulas to values (edit|copy, edit|paste special
values will do it).  Then delete the other columns.

Just curious, did you use a formula like:
=date(2000+a1,b1,c1)
to get a real date
or did you just create another string that looks like a date?

--

Dave Peterson
0

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:16:01 -0700, aries68mc
<aries68mc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a column of dates that was formatted YY/MM/DD that I wanted formatted
>MM/DD/YY.  I split the cells then recombined the 3 new columns into a 4th
>using the concatenate function.  How do I delete the 3 columns without
>deleting the combined data in the 4th?
>
>Thanks,
>Mary

0
Gord
3/16/2010 4:10:35 PM
hi
copy the condatenation function and paste special values. this turns the
function into hard data. the other three columns are now no longer needed.

Regards
FSt1

"aries68mc" wrote:

> I have a column of dates that was formatted YY/MM/DD that I wanted formatted
> MM/DD/YY.  I split the cells then recombined the 3 new columns into a 4th
> using the concatenate function.  How do I delete the 3 columns without
> deleting the combined data in the 4th?
>
> Thanks,
> Mary
For some reason when I tried the paste special values originally, it didn't
work in formatting the dates how I wanted, but a regular copy and paste did.
 I just did what Dave suggested, though, and got it to work.

Thanks for your reply,
Mary

"FSt1" wrote:

> hi
> copy the condatenation function and paste special values. this turns the
> function into hard data. the other three columns are now no longer needed.
>
> Regards
> FSt1
>
> "aries68mc" wrote:
>
> > I have a column of dates that was formatted YY/MM/DD that I wanted formatted
> > MM/DD/YY.  I split the cells then recombined the 3 new columns into a 4th
> > using the concatenate function.  How do I delete the 3 columns without
> > deleting the combined data in the 4th?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mary
Thanks.  The file I'm working on was pulled from our HRIS system and was
converted as text.  I don't know why IT gave it to me that way, but they did.
 And I didn't want to wait on them for another file.

I was able to get it to work with doing the copy/paste special.  For some
reason that didn't work when I originally did the concatenate function.

Thanks for your help!
Mary

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> First, if the data were really dates, you should be able to just format the
> cells the way you want.
>
> But if it's text that looks like data, you did ok!
>
> You can either hide the original columns and keep the concatenation formula
>
> --or convert the column of formulas to values (edit|copy, edit|paste special
> values will do it).  Then delete the other columns.
>
> Just curious, did you use a formula like:
> =date(2000+a1,b1,c1)
> to get a real date
> or did you just create another string that looks like a date?
>
> aries68mc wrote:
> >
> > I have a column of dates that was formatted YY/MM/DD that I wanted formatted
> > MM/DD/YY.  I split the cells then recombined the 3 new columns into a 4th
> > using the concatenate function.  How do I delete the 3 columns without
> > deleting the combined data in the 4th?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mary
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> .

How to Recover Deleted Sent Mail?

Change case in Excel
Good morning all, I have received a private e-mail from someone trying to help me, I think, but am not certain whether this is legit, or an attempt to get me to install a trojan of some sort. Does anyone know of Shailesh Shah (shahshaileshs@hotmail.com)? I figure that if this person is writing such good code, such useful utilities, then he should be well known to this community, or at least he should. I had e-mailed this group in February asking for some way to change the case of text in certain cells, and the link Mr. Shah sent me is as follows: http://members.lycos.co.uk/shahweb/ ...

Using Popups to select a range of cells.
Hi All I have a small request for help with code. I need a macro to have popups request the first and last cells in a range , and then to select them. Can someone help? Sub test() Dim Rng As Range On Error Resume Next Set Rng = Application.InputBox("Select your range", _ "Mousework", Type:=8) On Error GoTo 0 If Rng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub MsgBox Rng.Address End Sub HTH. Best wishes Harald "Colin Hayes" <Colin@chayes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:8mYkILA1YlvLFw7Z@chayes.demon.co.uk... > > Hi All > >...

How to open Excel sheet with more than 64000 lines
I am using Office 2002, and have received Excel files with greater than 64000 line items. Is there a way , or an update, with Excel 2002 to open files this large? You need to upgrade to Excel 2007. "mgoehring" wrote: > I am using Office 2002, and have received Excel files with greater than 64000 > line items. Is there a way , or an update, with Excel 2002 to open files this > large? Yes, but not more than 65536. For that you would need Excel 2007. -- David Biddulph "mgoehring" <mgoehring@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Cannot delete subreport

Changing the font style, fore colour and back colour of an individual cell in a VB6 listview
Hi All Again, another I've always left rather than sorting is the ability to style (bold, underline, italic), colour the text and colour the background of the text in a vb6 listview CELL. Are any of these permitations possible? Am I better using an MS Flexgrid and hidden textbox (for the edit bit)? Thank you. "Mojo" <please@dont.spam.com> wrote in message news:e%23LFCQ5RLHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi All > > Again, another I've always left rather than sorting is the ability to > style > (bold, underline, italic), colo...

keying in data in cell
I have a form that has several lines. I want to know without looking at the form when the data will not show on the line. I do not want to wrap the text, but to go to the next row to continue to put in the data. Is there an easy way to do this. Any help will be appreciated. thank you mac ...

Rule for Deleted Items

Clear cell from formula?

Adding a comment to a cell.
I have tried adding a comment to a cell, but it does not appear with th little red triangle in the top right corner of the cell commented. The comment is attached, but at first glance there is no such clue tha there is a comment attached. I know the comment is attached because when i click onto the cell commented and right click, it allows me to either edit or delete th comment.. I need the little red triangle to appear when commenting a cell (whe clicked away from the live cell, it seems to dissapear) - view scree shot Attachment filename: comments.jpg Down...

Unable To Read Certain fields in Linked Excel Sheet to Access
I am using Acc 2003, but Acc 2007 should work the same (I think). I have linked an excel spreadsheet into my Access database. Almost all of the fields are available and can be read. There are a few fields that I can see in Access, but its in Excel. These fields were using a VLookUp function in excel to get the value from another excel worksheet. Also the linked excel sheet has fields that I believe should be text (in Access), but its was set to be a number. I am unable to change this. Is there a way to resolve this issue for me ??? I also assume that if I was to rea...

Using c# object in Excel VBA
Hi All I have writen an COM Object in C# to use it in Excel. This Object has a Function that delivers a List of Users from a Database. My problem is now that I get the List of Users but it is not posible to get one of the Properties of the User. But when I create a new Object with Set user = CreateObject("GuptaIntferface.UserVOCom") I can see all Properties of this object. My Question is now how can I tell VBA now that the objects in the List are the UserVOCOM Objects? thx for help Michael I'm kind of stabbing the dark on this one as I've never worked with a C...

Delete macros

merge cells
how can i merge the info on a large spread sheet quickly without having to do this one cell at a time. I have info in cells A1 thru HH1,A3-HH3,A5-HH5 and so on I need this info to be merged with the cell directly below it In other words I need cell A1 to be merged with A2,B1 with B2....A3 with A4,A5 with A6 ....HH5 with HH6 with our losing the info in the cells, whats the simpliest and fastest way to do this with out having to click on cell, hold shift key, down arrow, merge cell button, right arrow, hold shift key,down arrow key, merge button or format painter on completed a merged...

OK to delete Deleted Items folder?

How to delete chart

Delete blank Last page

Deleting an email

Use a cell value as part of a formula
Hi All, I'm trying to use a cell value as part of a vlookup function. The idea is to keep changing the lookup query based on a the contents of a specific cell This is the forumla I'm currently using VLOOKUP($A2,'C:\Matrix0203\07-Feb03\[025-MainPub-ET-1801.XLS]Sheet1'!$A$1:$M$200,2,FALSE) I need a way to replace "025-MainPub-ET-1801.XLS" in the formula based on another cell, where this will be generated (or manually entered). Right now I'm doing a select all, find and replace to achieve this. Any help will be appreciated... Chirag Hi Chirag, You could use ...

how to get the number of days between two date formatted fields in vba for excel?
how to get the number of days between two date formatted fields in vba for excel? Hi Daniel, If they are Excel dates they represent the days and fractional days past Dec 31, 1899 if using the 1900 date system. So if you just have dates they have no fractional components and you just subtract the earlier date from the later date for the number of days. So it doesn't really matter if it is Excel or VBA same method. A1: 1998-11-28 B1: 2005-07-11 C1: =B1-A1 format c1 as number: #,##0 otherwise you will see: 1906-08-13 in VBA something like either of these, n...