how do i create an automaticly generating number for a document?

I am wanting to create document with automatic document numbers, eg. invoice
numbers, that will automatlicly increase with each document i create. Is this
possible in excel or word? If so, can someone please explain how?
0
Brad (219)

You can do this with a macro in Word as described in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/NumberDocs.htm .

Brad wrote:

> I am wanting to create document with automatic document numbers, eg. invoice
> numbers, that will automatlicly increase with each document i create. Is this
> possible in excel or word? If so, can someone please explain how?

Take a look at

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/sequentialnums.html

In article <31344C00-A29F-4B1D-90BB-768A5D4B1B4E@microsoft.com>,
 "Brad" <Brad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am wanting to create document with automatic document numbers, eg. invoice
> numbers, that will automatlicly increase with each document i create. Is this
> possible in excel or word? If so, can someone please explain how?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Sequentially numbered Purchase orders
In the past with Office 97. I used a purchase order template that would basically self number itself. when it opened a small box would appear and by clicking it the PO received a unique number. How can I accomplish this using Office XP. ...

How to create a ledger sheet
Hello. I have a database with the following tables:Customers, Orders, and PaymentsThe Customers table has a one-to-many relationship with the Orderstable. The Customers table also has a one-to-many relationship withthe Payments table.I am trying to create what I think is commonly called a ledger sheet.This sheet simply shows the dollar amount of every order that anindividual customer has placed (debits) and every payment that thecustomer has made (credits). It also shows a running balance. Entriesare shown in chronilogical order.I am having trouble creating a report that would draw debits from...

How do I set the number format to Base 12?
I would like to change the number format on my spreadsheet from Base 10 to Base 12, eg. 12 bottles makes up 1 case. Therefore, if I were adding up three different cells 9 bottles + 11 bottles + 6 bottles, my result should be 2 cases 2 bottles if possible 2.2 in a case column. See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/fractional.htm for details. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Andrew Moore" <AndrewMoore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:893CABE9-37D7-4E6B-8A7E-A5E679C8C824@microsoft.com... >...

automatically naming files for savingb

object not being created
hello, I created a dialog based application.I pop up a modal dialog from the menu created in my application.Class midialog is associated with this dialog resource.By mistake i created an obj of this class in the menu handler as shown in code below. OnMenu()//handler in my application dialog class.i.e.main dialog { midialog m_d; m_d.DoModal();//creating my modal dialog } after couple of daysi realized that i wanted the obj not inside the handler but in the class CMainDlg(class of the main dialog).So i removed above code and tried to declare a variable of type midialog m_d(again,s...

Cells Fill Automatically on Another Workbook
I've created what we'll call a seed worksheet to be used over and over for different clients. I have linked its cells to another workbook. As the originating seed worksheet directs its cell data to a specific cell on another workbook, how can I accomplish the workbook data not being overwritten but the new incoming data default to the next unused cell in the column? i.e. If the original seed worksheet cell B1 links to the worksheet cell A1, I would like the next instance of creating a new customer and his B1 information on his use of the seed worksheet to populate onto th...

Adding up negative numbers only
Ok, let me try to explain this problem. I have several cells a1 throug a10. Each cell has a number, for ex. $10.00, ($5.00),etc. , sometime this number is positive, sometimes it is negative. I want to only ad all of the negative numbers in cells a1:a10 and put a total in cel a11. How can I do this? Thanks Ton -- tonydep ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tonydepo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1530 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26928 =SUMIF(A1:A10,"<0&quo...

changing a name in mulit parts of a document
I am setting up a word document. This will be used as a template In this document I wish to insert the same "name" throughtout this document. Is it possible to change the name in one spot and all of the others change automatically thanks See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>...

Sequential Numbering
I would like to know the formula for making a cell be able to do sequential numbering such as for purchase orders. Tom, A simple way would be to use something like this, you could assign it to a button, an open or before print event. Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = _ Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value + 1 For other ways to do this or if this is going to be used in a temple have a look here http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html And if you are new to macros you may also what to have a look here on getting start...

Automatic Number Sequence
I would like to make a form in excel that automatically generates a number of the form in one of the cells. How can I go about doing this, that everytime I print a sheet it automatically generates a new number in the sequence? I have tried playing around with macros and it doesn't seem to change, only stay at a specific number. Is there an easier formula that this can be done with or do I have to use macro's and how do I do it with macro's if that's what's required?? It's a product information form for new products that need entering into the system. Hi Awissa, ...

Sales Document Inquiry Zoom
Has anyone ever seen after an order is fulfilled - the sales document detail inquiry zoom for the order is blank - doesn't even show the order information (which is standard gp). Header info on that window does have type id, document number; master number = 0; remaining subtotal=$; times repeated = 0 If i look at the sales quantity status inquiry zoom - qty to order = 1; qty to invoice = 1; Remaining qty=1 Quantity Allocated = 1 Quantity Fulfilled = 1 And the order will not transfer to invoice = no errors; the sales transfer log just says 0 documents transferred. Yes, I have seen...

Create activity by workflow
Hello! I have read i can use in activity text field &leadbase.companyname; (when i am making workflow to send e-mail to user) But it didnt work. Why? (in SQL base i have table "leadbase" and column in this table "companyname") Lina try this:- &lead.companyname; Peter "Lina" <Lina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4F7F8AA-429B-4F8E-B34B-749C0972153F@microsoft.com... > Hello! > I have read i can use in activity text field &leadbase.companyname; (when > i > am making workflow to send e-mail to user) But it didnt...

can i create a modalless dialog Box in the worker thread.
hi guys, is it possible to create a modalless dialog box in the worker thread, actually we have try this but we got error that is" you cannot create object with new operator in the worker thread " but i don't know what is the actual reason behind this. actually i am trying to create a modalless dialog box from main dialog box and i want to perform openGL programing on both the dialog box in such a manner so that they do not collapse or crash each other because at one time only one rendering device context should reside in the memory if we want to create more then one device con...

Email links open to My Documents
When I go to my blue hyperlinks in Outlook 2003, instead of being taken to the website, I am taken to my own My Documents....when I right click, I cannot copy and paste because the copy is grayed out. I really need to repair this ASAP and would appreciate any help. I am using Office 2003 and Windows XP Pro. Thank you! Try rebooting your system >-----Original Message----- >When I go to my blue hyperlinks in Outlook 2003, instead of being taken to >the website, I am taken to my own My Documents....when I right click, I >cannot copy and paste because the copy is grayed out. &...

Inserting dashes to an existing number
Hi, I am trying to create a formula that will divide this ten digit numbe into the following dashes. Here is the number 1234000999 I need the dashes to be inserted in thi format 1234-000-999. What is the appropriate formula. Thanks for your help. Dinahros -- dinahros ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dinahrose's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1334 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26643 Why not just custom format right click on selection>format>number>custom...

Data in Fields Changing Automatically
We use a simple Access table to keep track of resolutions adopted by our City Council. It's always worked just fine until today. When I add information in the fields of a row and click in the next row, the information I just added changes. There doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern to how this happens. There is a column for the number of the resolution. Sometimes this will change to the number of the row above, or two rows above. I tried rebooting. Thanks in advance for any clues! ?Version of Access? ?Working directly in the table instead of, as recommended, in a fo...

Template Wizard, why aren't records being created in database
When creating a template using the Template Wizard, the database is being created but only the field headings are created. Why aren't the records being created in the database? ...

Creating a Mail Merge template in 4.0
I am using the RC0 image for demo purposes and have not managed to do this. When editing the template in word I get the message "Record 1 contained too many data fields." If it is never going to work please just let me know and I will try to focus on teh live releasse. Cheers, Mike. I get the same behavior in the released version. I suspect the 'Edit Template in Word' operation is simply invoking the template as if it was doing a mail merge operation; because there is no data available (you are in the editor of the letter template afterall), the merge process get...

Combine multiple columns into one, automatically?
I'm trying to create a chart that will automatically combine into one column what are now several columns when displayed in an ordinary column chart. The columns I want to combine all have the same value on the Y-axis, but are shown (in an ordinary chart) as separate columns because they have different values along the X-axis. Is there any way to create a chart that will automatically add together the X-axis values and then display the results in a single column? Or, is this not really a "charting" problem, but instead a problem that requires me to recalculate my data bef...

Excel Document
How do I add column headings to an Excel document? "C5roadstergal" <C5roadstergal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62A2EAB2-D528-4493-BFA0-38D7FACFB292@microsoft.com... > How do I add column headings to an Excel document? Type them in? Hi, That depends on what you mean by this question. Are you doing this at printout or just in the spreadsheet? In the spreadsheet select the row(s) numbers of the rows where you want to add the headings and choose Insert, Rows. In the printout: 1. Choose File, Page Setup, Headers and Footers tab and choose a pre...

Automatically Log of at a Certain Time of Day
Is there a way to set up XP SP3 to log of automatically. I need to be able to have my kids' PC's log off at night at a certain time. Use Scheduled Task that invokes Shutdown.exe. kjfrey55 wrote: > Is there a way to set up XP SP3 to log of automatically. I need to be able > to have my kids' PC's log off at night at a certain time. If you only want them to logoff and keep the pc running run a Scheduled Task that runs the Logoff command, if you want to shut down the PC have the task run the Shutdown command. John kjfrey55 wrote: > Is there a...

Trouble with forms I created in Word 2003
I create form field forms for my department. Recently upgraded to Office 2007. I can't seem to access many things in the "ribbon" in order to unlock the form and/or make any changes, access the header/ footer etc. I have spent hours trying to figure this out and have tried things I have seen in various forums to no avail. Please help! "HBForsyth" <HBForsyth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BDD0D0C-AA9B-4E5B-A632-BE4B7E4DD6E1@microsoft.com... > I create form field forms for my department. Recently upgraded to Office >...