How do I create a query field in Excel

I have a sheet with 9000 part numbers on it. Is there a way of say at the top
of the sheet having some sort of search box, so I can type in the part# and
it goes straight to that part?

Thanks
0
Sean9204 (160)

Hi,

Method1: Using the Filter feature.
-select a cell in the data
-goto menu Data>Filter>AutoFilter
- now your data header has dopdown boxes. From the part# header select the
part#. This will make all show only rows with this part#

Method2:
-Select column Part#
- menu Edit >Find

Method 3: with code
- In a code module, paste the following sub FindAndGo
  Also change the 'CHANGE HERE' section to fit your particular case
   '------------------------------------------------------------------
   Sub FindAndGo()

       Dim rgEntry, rgPart As Range, rg As Range

       '---   CHANGE HERE    -----
       Set rgEntry = Range("C1")  'value to search for
       Set rgPart = Range("A:A")  'range of Part# to search
       '------------------------

       'Find it and go there
       Set rg = Range("A:A").Find(What:=rgEntry.Value, LookIn:=xlValues, _
             LookAt:=xlWhole)
       If Not rg Is Nothing Then
          Application.Goto Reference:=Application.ConvertFormula( _
              rg.Address, xlA1, xlR1C1, True), scroll:=True
       End If

   End Sub
   '-------------------------------------------------------------

- in the above code, the searched value is in C1
  Next to this cell, add a button from the Forms toolbar
  Right Click the button and choose Assign Macro from the pop-up menu.
Choose the FindAndGo macro from the list
Now enter a value in C1 and click the button. If the value exists, you'll be
sent to the corresponding cell.

--
Regards,
Sébastien

"Sean" wrote:

> I have a sheet with 9000 part numbers on it. Is there a way of say at the top
> of the sheet having some sort of search box, so I can type in the part# and
> it goes straight to that part?
>
> Thanks
0
sebastienm (26)

create a roster

A self Instruction Book On Excel 2003
I am trying to find a text book on excel 2003 that will show me how to use Excel and give me the data to put into the spread sheet. Some of the features I am looking for are, Amortization, Creating Macros and The function and Chart Wizard. If you could please include an ISBN# to locate the text to get me started on Excel 2003. John List of books at Debra Dalgleish's site. Some have CD's attached http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlbooks.html Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:57:23 -0700, John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to find ...

Join query
I have a table that has the list of parts that go on a shop order to create a part. On the table "Requirement_Details" I am selecting the Order, and the Current Due Date. The table Transaction_History tells me the dates something was Issued to the Order by the Transaction Code "I". My problem is that I am looking for the last day that something was issued to the shop order so if I select the MAX(dbo.Transaction_History.TNXDTE_15) as below and nothing has been issued yet the query does not return Null or for this field. I just don't get any records. ...

Task Create - Status

footer in excel #2
What is the easiest way to make a footer in excel that will print ON EVERY PAGE? EXCEL 2000 Page Setup Header/Footer Put your entry in Footer "LED1" <LED1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D226F524-7267-48D9-98AE-A1C768B6921E@microsoft.com... : What is the easiest way to make a footer in excel that will print ON EVERY : PAGE? EXCEL 2000 ...

Query on Group field in Pivot Table
I have a large database wherein under Date column, data is in the format "Thu Oct 1 12:00 AM". When I use Pivot Table Under OPTIONS->GROUP-> Group Field is disabled. I used this to group Date field to either present data by Month, quarter at one click. Can anybody guide me why this seems to be disabled here. I want to present my data only by Monthwithout changing the format ""Thu Oct 1 12:00 AM". Thanks Hi Shewta Check you Data Source of your Pivot. it should come up like "Sheet6!$G$1:$I$821" and not like "'\Documents and...

Excel Open and Close
I have a problem, whereby sometimes after closing Excel and then looking on task manager the excel process is still running. When opening excel again all that appears is the menu icons and the grey surrounding the actual spreadsheet. No actual spreadsheet appears. Needless to say it is also locked up. If I close that spreadsheet, and also end the process for one that is running in task manager, upon opening excel again it is fine. I've tried doing detect and repair, but this doesn't help. It is also intermittent as I guess only 50% of the time closing excel will still leave the process...

ALT-TAB not working with excel 2000
My problem is, as in the subject, that pressing ALT-TAB to switch among the files opened in Excel 2000 doesn't work anymore. I tried to re-install withouth success. I can only use CTRL-TAB because you haven't multiple sessions running (as usual in Excel 2000) but only one task of Excel. So, it's impossible to use ALT-TAB. Unfortunately, CTRL-TAB isn't useful as ALT-TAB because you can't switch from the current worksheet and the last used but you have to pass cyclicly through the files opened... It seems to be related to the fact that the same worksheets had been opened...

Create external database

Accesing an Access Databse from Excel
Please, how can I access an Access database through ODBC from VBA. Where an I find the documentation needed. Best regards, Alexandru TUDOSE First, you don't necessarily need to use VBA to bring data into Excel from a database, whether from Access or another DBMS. Two easy ways are to use a pivot table (Data, PivotTable and PivotChart Report, and specify External Data Source in the wizard's first step; then, follow the prompts), or Data | Import External Data | New Database Query. Some of these menu items will differ according to the version of Excel you're using. The pivot t...

Variable Accros Queries
If I wish to use a variable across mutliple queries, is this possible, and if so where would I declare and set the variable? You can't use variables in queries. Are you thinking in terms of selection criteria (i.e. parameters), and you don't want to have to input the same parameters multiple times, or do you want the value stored in a variable to be returned by the query? For the former, the easiest approach is to create an unbound form with controls on it, one for each parameter. Have the query refer to the controls (the syntax is Forms![NameOfForm]![NameOfControl]), rather...

Update A Field From Another Field
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone can help me on this one. It's probably simple, but I'm stuck!! I have a Table which fills in data from a form with the following field: ReservationNo ReservationName Surname1 Name1 Surname2 Name 2 Sometimes I don't have the names, so fields Name1 and Name 2 are left blank until I check in the guests using the RESPEL form with the following fields RservationNo ReservationName Surname Name Now the ResevationNo and ReservationName have identical data since they are autofilled. What I want to do is if the ReservationNo and the S...

Excel Function Problem
Hi, Please consider me an excel newbie! I am trying to find out how to write a function that checks a 7 digit numerical string entered into cell i.e. 7030000 against 50 possible strings. (Im guessing this is a multiple IF statement thing). Once the condition is true it then takes the value from cell J7, adds it to the value in cell D7. The end result being that D7 now contains a value equal to its original value + J7. Any help given would be appreciatted Many Thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You might look at the SumIF function. It will add values together if...

How to create pie chart with %

excel with another reporting tool?
hi, I have only worked on vba macros where my input and output is both excel. Using macros most of the time it crashes and the end-user is then not comfortable with it. I wanted to go for a better solution. Not sure how go to about it. I was thinking of generating crystal reports. If i use crystal reports how is the format generated. I wanted to its feasibility study. Anyone who has done some work on this please go suggest. Will the end user have the authority to still edit the report. WIll it contain the formulas as we fianlly see in the excel. Please provide any infomartion that...

when form created

Smartlist + Extender Field
I have an extender form with a few fields on it. In smartlist, I can query the information. For all but one field everything is working properly. The last field displays in smartlist as a column but no data actually shows up. If I go to the actual extender form itself, there is data for every record. Any ideas on what the problem might be would be appreciated. What kind of field is it? -- Charles Allen, MVP "JP" wrote: > I have an extender form with a few fields on it. > > In smartlist, I can query the information. For all but one field > everything is working pr...

Saving excelXP file to use on p.c with Excel 97?
Hi i need to save my files i create from my home computer using office Xp to my office p.c which is running office 97. I have tried it but everytime i save my file at work i geta message stating that the file was created on xp and some latest features may be missing. How i can save so i do not get this message or indeed if i can actually do it? Thanks in advance I don't think you can avoid the message - the important point would be to use features common to both - then you may get the message, but it would be of no consequence. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy Mena <etracing@netconnect...

Web query financial data into chart
Via a web query I import the Euro/Dollar exchange rate during e.g. 2.00 pm to 5.00 pm in a cell of an Excel sheet with a refresh rate of 1 minute. I like to plot this rate versus time over this period. How can I realize that? regards, Louis -- loconel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ loconel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33481 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=532821 You would have to use a macro to store the info on a sheet with a automatic defined name for the gra...

Back 1Month query Result!
Is it possible to make this field go back 1 Month to get the payable total? This field is giving me the payable total of each client ...............Thanks for any help.....Bob Payable: Nz(qTotalDueForPayment.TotalDue,0)-Nz(qPaidAmountForPayment.PaidTotal,0) It depends. Can you get qTotalDueForPayment.TotalDue AND qPaidAmountForPayment.PaidTotal to "go back one month"? If those queries are run with date parameters, rather than all payments to date, then the answer is Yes. Otherwise, probably not. HTH, "Bob V" <rjvance@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:eLQ...