how do i copy the format of a cell from one worksheet to another

I have 2 worksheets that I am merging into a single worksheet and am using
cells from one or the other worksheet based on conditions that I am checking.
 In some cases the cell I want to copy  have a different color text or
background and if I use that cells contents I also want to use the color but
it won't be used in all cases.  How do I selectively format the cell color as
needed?
0
EdithF (4)

You can not only copy the color without copying the other formatting, but if
you want all the formatting you can select the cell with the formatting you
want and double click the paintbrush, now ever cell you select will have the
same formatting, click the paintbrush again to remove the copy mode, or you
can copy the cell and paste special and paste only format

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Edith F" wrote:

> I have 2 worksheets that I am merging into a single worksheet and am using
> cells from one or the other worksheet based on conditions that I am checking.
>  In some cases the cell I want to copy  have a different color text or
> background and if I use that cells contents I also want to use the color but
> it won't be used in all cases.  How do I selectively format the cell color as
> needed?
0
PeoSjoblom (789)
6/10/2005 7:37:01 PM
Is there a way I can copy the format as part of a function.  I am copying
cells from different worksheets and merging them into 1 worksheet and would
like to copy the format as part of the the copy function.
"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> You can not only copy the color without copying the other formatting, but if
> you want all the formatting you can select the cell with the formatting you
> want and double click the paintbrush, now ever cell you select will have the
> same formatting, click the paintbrush again to remove the copy mode, or you
> can copy the cell and paste special and paste only format
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "Edith F" wrote:
>
> > I have 2 worksheets that I am merging into a single worksheet and am using
> > cells from one or the other worksheet based on conditions that I am checking.
> >  In some cases the cell I want to copy  have a different color text or
> > background and if I use that cells contents I also want to use the color but
> > it won't be used in all cases.  How do I selectively format the cell color as
> > needed?
0
EdithF (4)
6/15/2005 5:44:03 PM
Doesn't Edit|Copy, followed by Edit|paste copy the format for you?

Or are you looking for something else?

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Doesn't Edit|Copy, followed by Edit|paste copy the format for you?
>
> Or are you looking for something else?
>
> Edith F wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way I can copy the format as part of a function.  I am copying
> > cells from different worksheets and merging them into 1 worksheet and would
> > like to copy the format as part of the the copy function.
> > "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
> >
> > > You can not only copy the color without copying the other formatting, but if
> > > you want all the formatting you can select the cell with the formatting you
> > > want and double click the paintbrush, now ever cell you select will have the
> > > same formatting, click the paintbrush again to remove the copy mode, or you
> > > can copy the cell and paste special and paste only format
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Peo Sjoblom

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
EdithF (4)
6/16/2005 7:54:08 PM
Ahh.

The problem is that =vlookup() like all functions return values to the cell.
They can't change formatting.

Maybe you could use Format|conditional formatting (in both cells) to mimic the
formatting???

--

Dave Peterson
0

Extract numeric value from single cell
Hello, I have numeric values within a text string in a single cell. There i no conformity to the length, or the make-up of the text. There is only ever 1 numeric value (that may vary in length from 1- digits long) within the text string. I have used the find function, but is getting vary messy. Is there numeric wildcard character I can use. Im using Excel 2000 Any help would be much appreciate -- Landyma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Landyman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=807 View this thread: htt...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Can I "unlock" just one cell in a protected worksheet?
Is there any way I can unlock just one cell in a protected worksheet without removing the protection from the entire worksheet? I am working on a fairly complex worksheet that has 10-15 data entry cells. The rest of the worksheet contains formulas and informational text. I have the formulas pretty much debugged and working. I am now down to making mostly cosmetic changes to the text and formatting. I have marked all of the data entry cells in a different color to help me keep from overwriting a formula, but it still happens occasionally. I usually catch it right away and can recover with ...

Comma Style Formatting from Format Toolbar
Hello all I am using Excel 97 SR-2. All of a sudden my Comma Style formatting button (from the formatting toolbar) is formatting differently to previous and is not want I want. My Control Panel settings for number and currency I have always set to display negatives in brackets and this is how the Comma Style button used to work. Now it formats negatives with a leading negative sign with the sign aligned to the extreme left of the cell with the numbers right aligned. Any adeas on how I get this formatting button to work correctly again??? Thanks Tony McGee ...

Truncating cells
Hello, I have a spreadsheet full of student names (Last, First, Middle) each in a separate column. I need to shorten the Middle Name column down to just the Middle Initial (1 character). It would be nice to do these using a function rather that edit them individually. I've tried the truncate function but could not get that to work. Any suggestions? Thanks, Matt Verdill Greetings, You need to use the LEFT function. In a new cell, type this formula: =LEFT(A1,1) Where A1 is the cell with the Middle Name and 1 is the number of characters. James Walker, Jr. "Matt Verdill...

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Picture behind text in Cells
Is there any way in which a picture can be sent behind the text in the worksheet cells? Or round the other way, is there any way to show the cells contents in front of a picture? Many thanks Bezza Format\sheet\background should do the trick RES That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different images that need to be displayed behind cells. I need to use the cells so that the values displayed infront of the different pictures can be used in forumula's. Bezza That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different images that need to be displaye...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Secondary Copy

local copy of mail

Outlook 2000 SP3

Parsing Text When Only One Character Can Be Used To Search
Hello: I've spent a couple of hours looking on this site, and have found some excellent new tips, but still need to ask for assistance. I have a series of text rows containing one string that I need to parse. There are no characters I can use as delimeters (inconsistent), and there is no consistent use of text qualifiers; it's in effect, free form text. Here's a sample record ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ FROM per_requisitions_v@appslink req2, per_vacancies@appslink vac2, What I need to pull from this string is --...

Copy picture ossice wizard

Blank cells in graph
I have a a line graph that displays customer behaviour in a number of categories. The data source for the graph is a table that refreshes every time a different 'customer' is selected from a macro drop-down list above the table, drawing data from another table. All the blank cells from the table are plotted as zero on the line graph, and I can't seem to change it so that the blank cells are not plotted on the line graph at all. I've tried going to Tools>Options>Chart, but the 'Plot empty cells as' options are all greyed out except for the 'Zero' opt...

subtotal copy and paste

Don't plot non-numeric cells
Tools - Options - Chart - Plot empty cells as: Not plotted (leave gaps) works only when the cell is actually empty. The cell is empty when raw data is missing, but the raw data has to be subtracted from a constant value. I'm using =IF(ISNUMBER(B4), B$1-B4,NA()) which returns #N/A when B4 is blank. The cell is not empty and consequently is plotted as an interpolated value between B3 and B5. I've tried copying and pasting values only and using "" instead of NA() to no avail. Short of clearing the contents manually (5% missing data points scattered throughout 25,000 ...

double line format button only formats single line when added to .
When adding a double line format button to my Toolbar using the Customize, Categories Box, Command Box and then dragging the double line format button to my Toolbar, I only get a single line format when using this button. It's a bug. There's a workaround in the following thread. http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3C59F286.DB7C606A%40msn.com AlwaysLearning wrote: > When adding a double line format button to my Toolbar using the Customize, > Categories Box, Command Box and then dragging the double line format button > to my Toolbar, I only get a single line format wh...

Lock Conditional Formatting
Good afternoon, Is there a way that I may lock the conditional formatting of a cell without locking out the ability to enter data into the cell? I have several columns of data, each column with a different conditional formatting scheme. I want to make sure that no one accidentally copies a cell in one row into another row or does "fill right/left" - which kills the formatting. When I protect the worksheet, which disables a user from having access to the formating buttons (text color, pattern, border), a user can still copy or fill the format of one cell to another. Any suggestio...

limit number of rows 7 colloms in a worksheet
is there a way to limit or set the number of rows & collums in a worksheet ? thanks david --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "davidbrowne17" <davidbrowne17.ya1sm@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:davidbrowne17.ya1sm@excelforum-nospam.com... > is there a way to limit or set the number of rows & collums in a > worksheet ? No. All worksheets have 256 columns by 65536 rows. You can hide unused rows/columns. But why bother? Hi David, Put this in the ThisWorkbook code module. Adjust to suit the area. Private Sub Workbook_Open() Wo...

Formatting with MFC
I have an MFC application but I have left the formatting of the controls at the default setting. How do I do the following formatting operations: - Change font size and colour of static text controls - Change edit controls to be 'flat' - Change height/width of edit box - Change text size in edit control - Change background color on dialog box Thanks. >How do I do the following formatting operations: > >- Change font size and colour of static text controls >- Change text size in edit control Make use of WM_SETFONT & handle WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC. >- Change edit c...

how do I convert a publisher document to .jpeg format?
I want to save a Publisher document as a .jpeg file. The help topics say it can be done, but I haven't been able to find out how in the help menu. Any ideas will be appreciated... Is there a reason why you want a .jpg? Would a .pdf work? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Thumper" <Thumper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9FB0F29-3D95-4E22-963B-F2004CA37AE7@microsoft.com... >I want to save a Publisher document as a .jpeg file. The help topics say it > can be done, but I haven't been able to find out how in the help menu. Any > ...

Excell date formating
I am trying to type numbers with dashes and slashes, but excell always converts to date format, How do I stop this? Thanks, Doug Hi Doug, Precede with an apostrophe (single quote, '). It will cause Excel to treat the enry as text and not show the apostrophe. -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Alida de Jongstraat 7 2401 KS Alphen aan den Rijn Netherlands tel. +31-172-416 880 mobile: +31-6-518 62 541 e-mail: niek.otten@xs4all.nl "Doug" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:257501c47027$9412ec00$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to type numbers with das...