how do I convert text string into a cell reference

I have a spreadsheet with multiple pages (a summary sheet, plus multiple
single sheets with common format data for different products). In the summary
sheet, I want to keep the cell reference the same, but change the page
reference according to the column that the data is in. That way I can change
a cell at the top of the column to pull up the right data.  I can create the
cell reference OK in text form using Concatenate , but cannot see how to
convert the resultant text string to get back to the real data. Any ideas ??
0
Davis (19)

You can use the Indirect function to return a reference. For example, if
cell C1 contains a sheet name, the following formula will return the
value in cell D5 on that sheet:

   =INDIRECT("'"&C1&"'!D5")

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
7/22/2005 1:05:43 AM
Many Thanks Debra, this works well. I had tried INDIRECT but obviously could
not quite get the syntax right. Thanks for your help,

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> You can use the Indirect function to return a reference. For example, if
> cell C1 contains a sheet name, the following formula will return the
> value in cell D5 on that sheet:
>
>    =INDIRECT("'"&C1&"'!D5")
>
> Dave Davis wrote:
> > I have a spreadsheet with multiple pages (a summary sheet, plus multiple
> > single sheets with common format data for different products). In the summary
> > sheet, I want to keep the cell reference the same, but change the page
> > reference according to the column that the data is in. That way I can change
> > a cell at the top of the column to pull up the right data.  I can create the
> > cell reference OK in text form using Concatenate , but cannot see how to
> > convert the resultant text string to get back to the real data. Any ideas ??
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

DaveDavis (1)

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Auto filter hidden cells
Hello, Yesterday I created a table and by using the custom format ;;; I managed to hide all but the first line of each category and still get all lines of the same instance to show in an auto filter. Today I open the sheet and try to use the auto filter. All I get now is the visible line only. eg Yesterday I made: Bob 1 Bob 2 Bob 3 Look Like Bob 1 2 3 Today I now only get Bob 1 No edits have been made whatsoever. How can I get it back? I really need this back as I want my print format to hide the repetitions but the auto filter to still be fully...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

Cell Formats (like StyleSheets)

1 Cell 2 Values?
Hello All, Is it possible in excel to have it return two values in one cell separated by a comma and spaces? For example I want it to count the number of times in a month the value was positive and the number of times a value was negative and in the cell I want it to show A1: +, - Is this possible? Thanks to all, Shhhh Shhhh wrote... >Is it possible in excel to have it return two values in one cell separated >by a comma and spaces? > >For example I want it to count the number of times in a month the value was >positive and the number of times a value was negative a...

diagonal text
HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:06:07 +0100, SCOTT wrote (in article <8844C60C-FD08-4FB5-B289-D530CAA285DA@microsoft.com>): > HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE Lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes your posts very hard to read. Please explain what it is you're attempting to accomplish and your Publisher version. By the way, questions end with question marks (?). What version of Publisher are you using? In 2000, arrange, rotate or flip, custom rotate, input your n...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Add help text to a form field?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I'd like to give people instructions about how to fill in form fields in the form itself. I tried &quot;adding help text,&quot; but nothing shows up in the form field. Is what I am trying to do possible, and, if so, what am I doing wrong? What you're using appears in the Status Bar when the field is accessed. Unless people know to look there it does practically no good. IMHO it's more effective to include instructional text as default content for the field or provide explicit labeling in an adjacent table c...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

change case of text #2
Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a way to change this data to "PROPER" throughout the entire worksheet? Thank you Gloria Anderson at Habitat for Humanity of Key West and the Lower Florida Keys =proper(range) will do the trick Mike "habikeys" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017801c39f21$a016ece0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that > had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a > way to c...

How to allcate an array of strings dynamically
Hi I am doing a project which is using ATL,COM and WTL(not using MFC).here I need to take an array of _bstr_t values.But I don't know the array size.it will be varying.I can not keep a specific size on this array.I don't know how to allocate an array dynamically.will anybody plz help me with sample code for how to do this.It will be a great help for me.I know this is a MFC group and I am not using MFC,I have already posted in in ATL group twice,but no answer.So I am frustrated now.Plz help me if u can.Thanks in advance Hi Rindam, I think it would be easier for you to store pointe...

XML Note convert to DataSet

Importing text from an Explorer window
Howdy all. OS: XP, Excel 2002 SP3 I have my music stored in the My Music directory. I have Artist, Album Title, etc. attributes turned on. What I'd like to do is to take all of this information and input it into an Excel spreadsheet. When I "Select All" from the window, and "Copy", it wants to copy the actual songs, and not the text. Also, the "Paste" option in Excel is grayed out anyway. Is there a way that I can treat the info in a Browser window as just text, and then copy that info into a spreadsheet? TIA. -- Don Cox Here is one I have used...

Change color of row (Col A thru Col Q) based on text value in Col J
I am using David McRitchie's code for changing color of entire row based on contents based on a specified cell text value: 'Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 36'. This works fine; however, I only want to change color in the first 17 cells in each of the affected rows. How do I do this? Also, I am confused: do I want the stmt 'Application.EnableEvents = True' at the top of my coding in the 'Worksheet_Change' event coding (occupies the Sheet1 Module)? One way: Target.EntireRow.resize(1,17).Interior.ColorIndex = 36 JingleRock wrote: > > I...

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...

Convert

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005

Numbers converting to decimal

Converting Quicken 2004 to Money

Converting from AOL to Outlook

Customizing "Convert Campaign Response"
We have created custom Fields in the Campaign Response entity that we would like to populate on the Lead Entity when we do a conversion. However it doesn't seem like this is possible from the Data Map. Is there a way to modify what fields are carried forward during a conversion, or do I need to find a different method? Thank you in advance. Hi, As I had some time left, I tried to figure this one out. To my surprise I can't find ANY direct link between a converted campaign response and a new lead. There is only an indirect link, through the campaign entity. But that does not ...