How do I change column labels from numbers to letters in Excel?

In Excel, my column headers somehow changed from letters to numbers.  How do
I get the letter headings back?

For example, I can no longer reference cell C3 because the C is now a
number.

Hi Allison,

Try:

Tools | Options | General | Check R1C1 Reference Style

---
Regards,
Norman

"AllisonCincy" <AllisonCincy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Excel, my column headers somehow changed from letters to numbers.  How
> do
> I get the letter headings back?
>
> For example, I can no longer reference cell C3 because the C is now a
> number.

0
normanjones (1047)
12/9/2004 12:52:00 AM
Hi Allison,

   Check R1C1 Reference Style

Should have read:

UNCheck R1C1 Reference Style

---
Regards,
Norman

"AllisonCincy" <AllisonCincy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Excel, my column headers somehow changed from letters to numbers.  How
> do
> I get the letter headings back?
>
> For example, I can no longer reference cell C3 because the C is now a
> number.

0
normanjones (1047)

External data link change

getpivotdata in excel 2007
=+GETPIVOTDATA(pivot1,$A$3 & " " &B$2 & " " &A5) I'm trying to return pivot table data to another sheet. The range of the pivot table is called "pivot1" and the reference cells represent (name of doc), (date), (procedure type). I get a REF# I have spent hours already and need a solution fast. Please Fern wrote: > =+GETPIVOTDATA(pivot1,$A$3 & " " &B$2 & " " &A5) > > I'm trying to return pivot table data to another sheet. The range of the > pivot table is called "pivot1" and...

normalizing a column of numbers
How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing Mason, Use a helper column where you normalize your numbers using an appropriate formula prior to charting, and then chart that column with your normalizing formulas. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "mason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81F1FB07-419B-4E41-87D3-25DB75E1EEDC@microsoft.com... > How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing. > &...

Why does the change change to a number?

Sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row, how to?
How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? hi, i don't know if i understand your question correctly, =Sum(A1:A10) -- isabelle Le 2012-02-15 01:25, marsup a �crit : > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? On Feb 17, 11:30=A0am, isabelle <i...@v.org> wrote: > hi, > > i don't know if i understand your question correctly, > > =3DSum(A1:A10) > > -- > isabelle > > Le 2012-02-15 01:25,marsupa =E9crit : > > > > > > > > > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? Thanks Isabelle, I a...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

Excel should have the option to merge contents when merging cells.
When Excel merges cells, it keeps only the upper-left-most contents and deletes the others. It would be nice to have the option (maybe a toggle button in the options menu) to concatenate the contents of all the merged cells, so that the information in the lower-right cells is tacked onto the end of the information inthe upper-left-most cell. This is not a big deal, but it would be a nice bell/whistle to save some steps. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I...

more on VBA function name change

Simple EXCEL worksheet function
I am creating an EXCEL worksheet of people's names, company and location. I need to do a simple sort on name. When the list goes beyond 250, the sort function stops working. Is this a limitation of EXCEL? If so, can I continue the list on "Sheet 2", "Sheet 3" etc and still be able to sort through all the lists as if they are one? #1. Select the entire range you want to sort--don't let excel guess. I'm guessing that you have an empty row in the real range to sort and excel is guessing wrong. #2. Nope. Excel doesn't support this type of...

How to change icon for my application

Combine variable number of columns
I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, e...

How to MATCH value up a column
I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Hi I don't know what you are looking for, but see: MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0) or VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "DevourU" wrote: > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Thankx for the reply. Here is my formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))). I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4, display next column B4. Clear as mu...

Excel Pivot Items Using C#
I am working on a C# add-in that modifies pivot tables. I have done this work in VBA, and the object model seems straightforward, e.g., PivotTable-PivotFields-PivotItems, but I can not get the object for PivotItems, or iterate through the items. Do I need something other than PivotItems? Code for PivotFields, that works: IExcel.PivotFields pvtfs = (IExcel.PivotFields) pvtTable.get_PageFields(Missing.Value); foreach (IExcel.PivotField pvtf in pvtfs) { Code for the does nto work, and PivotItems shows no va...

How do I identify if a cell in excel contains a formula or a numbe
I would like to identify some how if a cell contains just a written number (ex "25000") or contains a formula. I would like to do this because I have an array where some cell contains formulas but some are numbers and I would like to be able to use conditional formating to highlight the cells that just have a number. Regards /Tobias Click on the cell and look at the formula bar. The formula or the value will appear there. Ian "Tobias Andersson" <Tobias Andersson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:739C49F9-91D7-4F0C-8581-FF04AF3E9375@microsoft.com...

How to change newsgroup message font

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Running Excel 2000 & 2007 Bug
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01CA53A0.C4136A80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am able to run 2000 and 2007 on the same machine ok except for the = following The File Type associations are messed up. I have a bunch of files that = were created in 2000 and they have the *.xls extension. I want these = files(when double clicked) to open in Excel 2000. However, Excel 2007 = is dominating this action. I have tried changing the association for the *.xls file type to version = 200...

How to copy a column of values into another column where the cells are merged
Hi, I have a sheet with a column that lists some values. I also have a second sheet that has a column where the cells are merged every 4 rows. I need to copy the values of the first sheet into the merged cells, but when I do, I only see every fourth value on the merged cells. Is there a formula or any other way that I can use to be able to copy all the values from the first sheet into the second sheet each value on a different group of merged cells? Thanks! Assume you have values in A1:A5 of Sheet1 that you want to copy into Sheet2, where A1:A4, A5:A8, A9;A12 etc are merged. Put this formul...

Nonnumerical Axis in Excel Charts
Hello, Essentially, when plotting a series of Acid/Base ratios in cells with text formatting (ex. "0/100", "10/90", etc.") (X-axis) versus temperature change per ratio (Y-axis), Excel charts the actual row numbers (ex. 1, 2, 3, etc.) for the X-axis instead of "0/100", "10/90", etc. Fraction and Number formatting of the ratio cells does not change this either. Thank you. Robert Agee Purdue University It depends which chart type you use. If you use column chart type, the X axis should be your lables (10/90, etc.) not row numbers. If you use ...

Should I change this code?