How do I automatically total and flag charges when they reach a s.

I have to pay writers per article. I cannot pay them until their total
reaches a set amount. Then I send accounting a request to pay. Right now I
just keep typing their info into excel, which means that I retype their name,
new article name, words, price, when each issue comes out, then I put them in
abc order, then I total them up on my own if they look like they might be up
to the set amount.

But I keep thinking there has to be a better way to do this. Any ideas?
0
slw66 (2)

There are definitely better ways of doing this.  I would need more detail on
the info you use, to really help you though.  It boils down to better
organisation, possibly using an input form and a macro to run the whole lot.

Kassie

"slw66" wrote:

> I have to pay writers per article. I cannot pay them until their total
> reaches a set amount. Then I send accounting a request to pay. Right now I
> just keep typing their info into excel, which means that I retype their name,
> new article name, words, price, when each issue comes out, then I put them in
> abc order, then I total them up on my own if they look like they might be up
> to the set amount.
>
> But I keep thinking there has to be a better way to do this. Any ideas?
0
Kassie (262)
2/22/2005 10:45:07 AM
Thank you Kassie,

Can you recommend any books to learn to do these things? I cannot believe I
am getting ready to graduate with a BS in Business Administration and I don't
know how to create macros or forms in excel. I barely know how to use Access
either.

Thank you.
slw66@earthlink.net

"Kassie" wrote:

> There are definitely better ways of doing this.  I would need more detail on
> the info you use, to really help you though.  It boils down to better
> organisation, possibly using an input form and a macro to run the whole lot.
>
> Kassie
>
> "slw66" wrote:
>
> > I have to pay writers per article. I cannot pay them until their total
> > reaches a set amount. Then I send accounting a request to pay. Right now I
> > just keep typing their info into excel, which means that I retype their name,
> > new article name, words, price, when each issue comes out, then I put them in
> > abc order, then I total them up on my own if they look like they might be up
> > to the set amount.
> >
> > But I keep thinking there has to be a better way to do this. Any ideas?
0
slw66 (2)
2/22/2005 12:49:02 PM
There are stacks of books available on both Excel and Access, but I think it
would be best if you got this info locally.  I am sure one of the Microsoft
MVP's can recommend good reading material.  I taught myself Excel and Access,
so I do not have any books on the subject.

Regards

"slw66" wrote:

> Thank you Kassie,
>
> Can you recommend any books to learn to do these things? I cannot believe I
> am getting ready to graduate with a BS in Business Administration and I don't
> know how to create macros or forms in excel. I barely know how to use Access
> either.
>
> Thank you.
> slw66@earthlink.net
>
> "Kassie" wrote:
>
> > There are definitely better ways of doing this.  I would need more detail on
> > the info you use, to really help you though.  It boils down to better
> > organisation, possibly using an input form and a macro to run the whole lot.
> >
> > Kassie
> >
> > "slw66" wrote:
> >
> > > I have to pay writers per article. I cannot pay them until their total
> > > reaches a set amount. Then I send accounting a request to pay. Right now I
> > > just keep typing their info into excel, which means that I retype their name,
> > > new article name, words, price, when each issue comes out, then I put them in
> > > abc order, then I total them up on my own if they look like they might be up
> > > to the set amount.
> > >
> > > But I keep thinking there has to be a better way to do this. Any ideas?
0
Kassie (262)
2/22/2005 1:01:02 PM
If the list of author's names don't vary, you could use Data|Validation to make
sure you picked/typed in the correct name.

See Debra Dalgleish's site:

If your data is sorted nicely, you can use Data|Subtotals to insert a count of
articles for each author.  But you'll have to remove the subtotals, sort your
data, and add the subtotals each time you add a new article.

Or you could use data|pivottable to count each author.

If you want to read more about the pivottable stuff, you may want to look at
some links:

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/xlconPT101.aspx

--

Dave Peterson
0

urgent: Mail appears sent in Outlook but is never reaching recipient
Hello, I met a very wierd problem with outlook 2002, here is my settings: Client: outlook 2002 + Bynari plugin (for calendar and Task) Server: postfix + cyrus-imapd + Active Directory authentication and mail address query some users complain sometimes (not alltimes) they sent email, the email seemed ok, and it went to "Sent Items", but the recipient did not receive it. I checked the server log, there is no log for these emails, and can not set the postfix log to debug mode, because this will make the server extremely busy. So I enable outlook logging, the following is the l...

removing Outlook 2000's envelope icon in system tray?
I'm running Outlook 2000 on W2k. Once I start up Outlook, it leaves a process running called OUTLOOK.EXE (visable from Task Manager) which, I assume, is what causes Outlook to continue periodically checking for new email -- even after I close Outlook. How can I prevent Outlook from continueing to check email even after I close the program? I suppose that I can change the "check for new messages every xxx minutes" field so that it only checks for new messages when I tell it to. But I'd rather it check automatically when Outlook is running, and then stop checking automat...

Automatic CC

Chart totals
I need help. I have a chart with multiple columns and three rows. Each row has a total. I would like to do a stacked column chart shoeing the each rows value and the totals without the totals effecting the chart. When I try and do it now, the total throws off the chart? Hi, Does this work around help? http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm Cheers Andy Angela wrote: > I need help. I have a chart with multiple columns and three rows. Each row > has a total. I would like to do a stacked column chart shoeing the each rows > value and the totals without the total...

Automatic axis format

Automatic Forward
How can I automatically forward messages received from a specific sender to another's e-mail person? Thanks, ...

CE6: How to Disable SIP popup automatically
Hi, I know SIP popup can be disabled by the following registry setting in CE5: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip] "TurnOffAutoDeploy"=dword:1 But It doesn't work in CE6. How to disable SIP auto-Popup in CE6? Thanks. Eric The SIP Auto Deploy in CE is due to Windows Controls invoke SHSipPreference (exported by AYGSHELL.DLL). So the easiest way is to avoid including AGYSHELL (SYSGEN_AYGSHELL) But if excluding AYGSHELL is not an option, you may need to modify the SHSipPreference (PRIVATE\SHELL\SHELLPSL\HAVEAYGSHELL\shellpsl.cpp) to supress SIP s...

Credits showing up as Charges. II
I am also having a problem with my payments to a credit card adding to the total balanced owed on the card rather than reducing the amount owed. I read the posting with the 7 things to check/try and am still having a problem... All caps below to differentiate between my writing and the previous posting. 1) Check you credit card account details screen. Does is say the account type = credit?.... YES 2) On the ledger screen - do the two columns say charge and credit?.... YES 3) Are you entering (or downloading) expenses into the charge column?... YES 4) Are you entering (or downloading) ...

Automatically format charts with range of dates
What I am trying to do is I have 4 charts that are linked with data from another spreadsheet. They are basically week totals for my business and make a chart compared to say last year. What I want to do though is have an option on my report that I can enter in a specific date or a range of dates and have the charts automatically filter the new data in and change. Instead of having to go into the chart data and changing what series of data I want to have a chart for I want to be able to just enter eg. "April 12-April 18" and have the charts bring up that data to reflect the ...

Automatic Database Backup
Is it possible to right code to automatically backup a database? And if so how, or where, can I get information on this? Hi There are a few way to do this. I have windows scheuler doing this on all my databases (at 1 min past midnight each day). Open Scheduled Tasks (it's in the control panel). It's very simple and not likely to go wrong -- Wayne Manchester, England. "Ayo" wrote: > Is it possible to right code to automatically backup a database? And if so > how, or where, can I get information on this? Thanks Wayne. So I take it that, there is no way t...

automatic output from known data
i have 2 spreadsheets of data: 1=english, 2=metric each spreadsheet has 3 columns, with the first column being an ID #. on my output spreadsheet i have 4 blanks. in blank 1 i enter a "1" or "2" for english/metric in blank 2 i enter the ID # i want blanks 3 and 4 to automatically be filled with the other tw numbers from the id#'s row. DATA WORKSHEETS english 1 123.8 9.8 2 122.7 10.3 ... metric 1 1983 9.8 2 1965 10.3 ... OUTPUT WORKSHEET blank 1 = english <----- manual blank 2 = 1 <----- manual blank 3 = 123.8 <---- automatic blank 4 = 9.8 <---- automati ...

Insert date automatically
I have a column with values such as: 3/25 3/24 3/29 3/21 3/21 3/21 And wish to automatically add todays date if the value of the cell is blank in the mm/dd format. I have used an =If(Column:Column="",TODAY()) in a column next to it and formatted it in mm/dd to get the desired result. But how can I take this value (todays date) and insert it back into the original column automatically and without changing the other valuse? As always thank you! Rick Hi, Rick: Here's one way. Step 1 is to make a backup of your original file so you have a fallback in case something goes ...

Microsoft Office 2010 Reaches Technical Preview #2
On 13-July-09, at its Worldwide Partner Conference, Microsoft Corp. announced Office 2010, SharePoint Server 2010, Visio 2010 and Project 2010 have reached the technical preview engineering milestone. Starting today, tens of thousands of people will be invited to test Office and Visio as part of the Technical Preview program. <http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4506> No mention of a Mac version ...

How to automatic sort email into folder and download attachment
Hi, I have a surveillance camera which will send out email when it detect motion. I can receive hundreds of emails just from this camera in a single day, so it troublesome to read and click on each email just to download the attachment. When the outlook receive the email, I know how to sort it into a designated folder. But is there anyway it can automatically download the attachment (video file) into a folder without the email. (so that I can store the video file in a CD later on). Anyone can help me. Thank you. Nelson Chou I can receive hundreds of email just from...

automatically
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0089_01C60228.AFA5BDA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi.. i used outlook express and now I am using outlook, but the contact = option is different from Outllok express. in outlook express when I = write a first character of one contact, outlook express complete the = address automatuically, in outlook 2003 no!! can i change this?? Can = outlook 2003 complete autoomatically my addresses?? Pls, help me! thks, Jane ------=_NextPart_000_0089_01C60228.AFA5B...

excel vba
i am trying to set up something in cell K5 whereby it will produce upo opening, a sequential number 1 higher than the last. I think the end code is Range("K5").Value + 1 but how do i set it up to get that sequencing -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi You need this event to run your code line when the workbook opens Private Sub Workbook_Open() With Sheets("sheet1") .Range("K5").Value = .Range("K5").Value + 1 End With End Sub Right click on the Excel icon next to file on the menu bar Choose view code The ThisWorkboo...

Case ID v/s Email tracking token
CRMers, When you create a case for a support email, by default the generated case id is of the form CAS-number-suffix. When a support person replies to the email, the CRM system automatically adds an email tracking token to the subject line. This email tracking token is not the same as the case id. Questions: 1. Why can't the email tracking token be the same as the case id? Won't it make sense to use case id to track emails for a given support case? 2. Even if they are different, how can I disable automatic placement of tracking token on the subject line? We do not wish to confuse th...