How do I auto fill long col. filling blanks with last filled cell

On a large worksheet, is there a way to fill the blanks in a column with the
last filled cell without using the autofill handle? My worksheet is over 2000
rows and I am hoping to find some way to mass fill the blanks in Excel. Here
is a small example of what I am talking about. Thanks for any tips.
S1475	201686
	506456
S1888	38254
S9564	46321

M,
This ought to work...
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip040.htm
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"MBBeginner" <MBBeginner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:553E7B6A-2190-4665-B059-B0E3B9CFEFB5@microsoft.com...
On a large worksheet, is there a way to fill the blanks in a column with the
last filled cell without using the autofill handle? My worksheet is over 2000
rows and I am hoping to find some way to mass fill the blanks in Excel. Here
is a small example of what I am talking about. Thanks for any tips.
S1475 201686
506456
S1888 38254
S9564 46321

jim.coneXXX (771)
1/14/2006 2:44:29 PM
Debra Dalgleish has some techniques at:
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

Try the manual method.  I've found it's quicker than the code!

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Debra Dalgleish has some techniques at:
> http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html
>
> Try the manual method.  I've found it's quicker than the code!
>
> MBBeginner wrote:
> >
> > On a large worksheet, is there a way to fill the blanks in a column with the
> > last filled cell without using the autofill handle? My worksheet is over 2000
> > rows and I am hoping to find some way to mass fill the blanks in Excel. Here
> > is a small example of what I am talking about. Thanks for any tips.
> > S1475   201686
> >         506456
> > S1888   38254
> >         15623
> >         56731
> > S9564   46321
> >         156323
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Auto Filter problem

Populate a cell if values in cell 1 and cell 2 match cell 3 and 4
I need help with a formula please. I need to search through a column of data and populate a cell if it meets a condition. For example: IF FirstWorksheet!A2 = SecondWorksheet!ColumnAx and FirstWorksheet!B2 = SecondWorksheet!ColumnBx Then populate SecondWorksheet!Cx with value from FirstWorksheet!C2 I have to match up a column of data in one worksheet with data in 2 columns in another worksheet. Help plz. Thanks T- A multi-criteria index n match (array-entered) should work here In Sheet2, Copy n paste this into C2's formula bar, then array-enter the formula by pressing CTRL+...

Auto-Editing

Auto-Calculate

Placing a mask within a cell
Howdy All, Here is what I am trying to do. I have a column with numbers in it. 1,2,3,etc. I want to prefix these numbers with Page.. and have the results look this this: "Page..1" "Page..2" With the quotation marks included. Can anyone help me out? Thanks, Brian One way: Format/Cell/Number/Custom \""Page..."0\" In article <uEaiQGMeFHA.1448@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote: > Howdy All, > > Here is what I am trying to do. > > I have a column with numbers in it. 1,2,3,e...

auto copy self

Auto correct or Auto complete

Counting colored cells
I need to count the number of rows (or cells) that are are a particular color. ex: How many cells in column A are red? Daniel, You need a VBA function to do this. See the CountByColor function at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm . -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "Daniel" <dcarlileaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0c9901c3886b$a55b7b20$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I need to count the number of rows (or cells) that are are > a particular color. ex: How many cells in column A are > red? ...

OWA auto login

Auto look through subfolders

How to save contents of cell range in an array?
In a VBA subroutine, how can one, for example, save the contents (numbers) of the range A1:L12 in the array x(12,12)? And how does one declare x()? Thanks in advance. John Uebersax dim x as variant x = Activesheet.Range("A1:L12").value Tim "John Uebersax" <jsuebersax@gmail.com> wrote in message news:8ef21027-a145-4022-8940-843b4cf2c943@j9g2000prh.googlegroups.com... > In a VBA subroutine, how can one, for example, save the contents > (numbers) of the range A1:L12 in the array x(12,12)? > > And how does one declare x()? > > ...

Auto date

An auto reply to an auto reply!

Data validation with a cell value linked to the same cell.
I Think that my post name is very confusing but I'll explain. I�m doing a data validation in cell f1 usig the data validation option the value entered in cell f1 need to be equal or greatter than th value in cell b2 and cell b2 is calculated with the formula =a2+c4-f1. What I'm trying to do is to prevent to enter a value in cell f1 tha I'll make cell b2 negative. But its not working, any suggetsions??? Thanks. Rodolf -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Change your CF criterion to Formula is = F1 <= (A2+C4) In article <rodolform.161w07@excelforum-n...

substracting numbers in non contigous cells
Hi!=20 I need a formula to substract numbers in non contigous=20 cells THAT ARE IN ONE COLUMN and have the result in other=20 cell, for example: ........................A...................B R1..................................BLANKCELL R2..................................BLANKCELL R3..................................15 R4..................................BLANKCELL R5..................................BLANKCELL R6..................60.............75 R8..................................BLANKCELL R9..................................BLANKCELL R10................................BLANKCELL R11........

Auto-Alphabetize

How do I auto-reply incoming eMails ?
During my holidays I want to inform the sender of incoming eMails that I am currently not in office. How can I setup an auto-reply note? Do I setup this in my Outlook 2003 or in the Exchange Server? Joe If you connect to an Exchange server at work, use the Out of Office function (under tools). It will reply once to each sender that you are out of the office. By default in Exchange, auto-replies to the internet are turned off so only internal addresses would receive the Out of Office reply but verify with your Exchange Admin how they have the server configured. If you have a POP3 acc...

Cell Format problem, not changing
This is a strange problem and searching all over google cant get any help. There is a row of dates, in format 10/23/1983, we are trying to change it to another format. When I click the cells properties and change the format, nothing happens. This includes the "sample section", the format just does not change. Now here is the really odd part. If I change the format, click ok, then double click the cell, then single click on another cell, the format changes to what I wanted, and from then on it works right for that cell. This seems to be worksheet specific, because if I add a workshee...

fill #2
what i want to do is to fill cells automatically everytime there is a change in the name. can anyone help? for example, cell A1 may say Apple then A1230 may say Orange and then A13560 may say Lemon. I want to be able to fill the blanks cells between Apple and Orange with Apple, cells between Orange and Lemon with Orange Hi Select the column / range. Then Edit / Go to / Special / Blanks. This will select all of the blank cells in the range. Type = and hit the up arrow and then type Ctrl Enter. To fix these values use Copy then Paste Special / Values on the range. Hope this helps. -- Andy....

How do I change the year in a range of cells
I am updating this years schedule spreadsheet to next years. Since the "scheduled" date is the same from one year to the next I only need to change the year from 2005 to 2006. Is there a way I can do this for all of the cells in a column? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Lee Since neither is a leap year, you just need to advance 365 days. So type 365 in some random cell and copy. Then select all your date cells and Edit > Paste Special, select the 'add' radio button and click OK. "Lee D" wrote: > I am updating this years schedule spreadshee...

Auto change of Row number within Formulas
Good morning , I would much appreciate some help in creating a formula which would do the following Cell Resul A1 B1 1 A simple formula would be - sum(c(a1):c(b1)), where the result in this case would be the sum of cells c5:c10. Many thanks, Gle Hi Glen, Look at the INDIRECT() function in HELP -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "millarg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02302493-2C51-4CB9-9463-06523884BBD6@microsoft.com... > Good morning , I would much appreciate some help in creating a formula which would do ...

Blanks chart as zeros
Hi All...... I have a Line Chart wherein all cells in my source data that are blank, ( as result of a formula resulting in ""), all plot as ZERO, and I would like them to just be nothing, not charted.......I do not want them interpolated and the one before and the one after just joined......I do not want NA in the cells because I use them for other formulas.........I go to Tools > Options > Chart tab, and no matter which option I select under "Plot empty cells as", I STILL get them plotted as ZERO's...... The only way I've been able to get them to plot...

Copy cell down with automatic updating from cell above
have put this question in New Users forum as this probably a very basi question that I should know! I want put something in a cell that will take the cell above that look in a cell on another worksheet and add something that makes it look i the next row down The cell in the first row is: ='Jobs & Tasks'!B$2 What I would like the next cell in the row below to say is ='Jobs & Tasks'!B$3 Without me needing to type it in - so that if I type ='Jobs Tasks'!B$2 in the top row Then I want to put the 'magic' formula in the second row so that I ca then co...