How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?

How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?
0
Givens (4)

That need some explaining. Excel genially goes use variables but rather uses
cell references. Cells can be given names (such as x) but it is not
required.
Tell use more about what you wish to accomplish

best wishes

--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
9/24/2004 4:53:04 PM
Put a 1 into any cell - let's say A1 -, and where you want to use X in a
formula, use the cell Address A1.

=X*100

becomes

=A1*100

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?

0
Bernie
9/24/2004 4:53:45 PM
Thank you, but I want to put X in a cell and have X show in the cell, but
assign the numerical value of 1 to it.

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> Put a 1 into any cell - let's say A1 -, and where you want to use X in a
> formula, use the cell Address A1.
>
> =X*100
>
> becomes
>
> =A1*100
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>
> "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?

0
Givens (4)
9/24/2004 5:11:16 PM
I want to put X in a cell and have it show as X, but assign the value of 1 to
it, so that I can use a sum formula to count all of the x's as 1's.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> That need some explaining. Excel genially goes use variables but rather uses
> cell references. Cells can be given names (such as x) but it is not
> required.
> Tell use more about what you wish to accomplish
>
> best wishes
>
> --
> Bernard Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove CAPS in e-mail address
>

> "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?

0
Givens (4)
9/24/2004 5:13:04 PM
No need to do that.  If you just want to count the X's, use

=COUNTIF(A1:A100, "X")

It's almost always better to explain what you want to do in a global sense
rather than explain in a very narrow sense.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

> Thank you, but I want to put X in a cell and have X show in the cell, but
> assign the numerical value of 1 to it.
>
> "Bernie Deitrick" wrote:
>
> > Put a 1 into any cell - let's say A1 -, and where you want to use X in a
> > formula, use the cell Address A1.
> >
> > =X*100
> >
> > becomes
> >
> > =A1*100
> >
> > HTH,
> > Bernie
> > MS Excel MVP
> >
> > "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?

0
Bernie
9/24/2004 5:24:53 PM
Thank you that works. What classes can I take to learn more about formula's
and Functions?

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

> No need to do that.  If you just want to count the X's, use
>
> =COUNTIF(A1:A100, "X")
>
> It's almost always better to explain what you want to do in a global sense
> rather than explain in a very narrow sense.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>
> "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you, but I want to put X in a cell and have X show in the cell, but
> > assign the numerical value of 1 to it.
> >
> > "Bernie Deitrick" wrote:
> >
> > > Put a 1 into any cell - let's say A1 -, and where you want to use X in a
> > > formula, use the cell Address A1.
> > >
> > > =X*100
> > >
> > > becomes
> > >
> > > =A1*100
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Bernie
> > > MS Excel MVP
> > >
> > > "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Givens (4)
9/24/2004 7:57:03 PM
A book would be better: I like John Walkenbach's books, so you could try

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/books/xlbook24.htm

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

> Thank you that works. What classes can I take to learn more about
formula's
> and Functions?

0
Bernie

How do I show formulas (in values) for the calculation?
when i'm doing caluclations in excel, i want to "show my work". I dont mean just showing the formula (eg. =A10 + B20, you can do this if you copy/paste the function in the cell). But instead, say if the value in A10 is 1 and B20 is 2, i want it to show "=1+2" in the cell. I understand if I type in the cell: '=A10& "+" B20, it'll show what i want. but it'll be veyr troublesome. I need a more automated easier way, almost as easy as say copy and pasting as a special option. I need this so that show my work on the worksheet. Is there possibly a...

Embed Excel Spreadsheet in Word ?
I have created a Gantt Chart with Excel. I would like to embed that spreadsheet in Word for a report. I have used "Paste Special" --> "MS Excel Object" However, there is 2 problems 1) Part of the Excel Spreadsheet is not shown in Word (Even though I have chosen A3 as paper size for the Word Document). Is there any way to include the whole spreadsheet ? 2) Is it possible to paste in such a way that the gridlines are shown ? (Like the one that I print with gridline shown) Your advice is sought. Peter It depends on the size of the data that you are pasting. If...

merging cells
hi I have some data from a web query in which occasionally spans two cells ie... A B 67/9097/9 - how it should be 67/ 9097/9 - how the odd cell comes out is there anything I can write into a macro to merge the two rogue cells back together into one? try this where your selection is the range of the 67/7. In this case [a2:a200] Sub putemback() For Each c In Selection If Len(c) < 6 Then c.Value = c & c.Offset(, 1) Next End Sub "jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0a1001c39ef2$f3bb79d0$a601280a@phx....

MFC 7.1 Dll missing error!(Help needed)
When i launch my application on a different machine then the developent environnement it says it can not find MFC 7.1 DLL. How can in the IDE choose to statically link this file to my *.exe file? Many thanks in advance > When i launch my application on a different machine then the developent > environnement it says > it can not find MFC 7.1 DLL. > > How can in the IDE choose to statically link this file to my *.exe file? > > > Many thanks in advance How about: Configuration Properties | General | Use of MFC = Use MFC in a Static Library Janusz "Janusz...

assign a shortcut key in access
I want to assign a shortcut key in a form like when a user presses CTRL+S a code should run like Go To Control combo1 and me.combo1.dropdwon any way to do this? You need to yous the AutoKeys macro. Here's a very good explanation of how to do that! http://www22.brinkster.com/accessory/macros/002.shtml -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200707/1 missinglinq via AccessMonster.com wrote: > You need to yous the AutoKeys macro. Here&...

Assigning values from a sheet to an array
Can anyone explain why I get a runtime error with the code below.MANY THANKS! Option Explicit Option Base 1 Sub testing3() Dim Vt() As Double Dim j As Long Dim i As Long ReDim Preserve Vt(1 To 40) For i = 1 To 40 j = Int(Rnd() * 1100) Vt(i) = Worksheets("data").Cells(1, j) Next i End Sub ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** Because j is greater than 256, the maximum number of columns in Excel. Alan Beban Ann...

How to stop Excel from changing the cell properties?
Hi everyone, I've just started using Excel for some small spreadsheet I need to have, and I've stumbled upon a little problem. Whenever I enter some text in a cell (for example August 2004), Excel converts it to a 'date' format (aug/2004) which is not what I want. How can I stop Excel from making these conversions, and tell it to keep what I type? Thanks in advance, Ikke Ikke, format the cell as text or put a ' in front of it, you want see the ' -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others c...

Default Fields Not Updating 1.2
Hello All - We have noticed that none of the dropdowns etc that "Default" are populated on a new account when converted from a lead. Only if the account is created on its own. Anyone else experience this? Kristina Have you checked your mappings. I assume you are trying to map fields from leads to opportunities? "Kristina Ledford" <noemails@noemails.com> wrote in message news:O5l7Izm5DHA.1592@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello All - > > We have noticed that none of the dropdowns etc that "Default" are populated > on a new account when conver...

OWA exchange 2003
I need to disable junk email setting in OWA exchange 2003 without single user operation. Anyone know if is possible and how ? Thanks Marco ...

No "Assign Macro"
In the Excel help files it indicates that you can execute a pre-recorded macro from a command button. It states to first record the macro, then create the button, then right click on the button to get the shortcut menu and choose Assign Macro. I have tried this in both Excel 97 and Excel 2002 and in both cases I do not have any such item as "Assign Macro". Am I missing something If not by this elusive shortcut menu item, how can I assign the pre recorded macro through code? Aaron, It may be that your working with a command button from the "Control Toolbox" instead of...

Importing data into Entourage X
Hi, I am trying to import data into Entourage X that came from Outlook Express 5.02. When I import in Entourage from the file menu, I get an error stating that the data can't be imported using this version of Entourage. What do I do?? Please any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in Advance, M Rideout On 6/8/04 10:08 AM, in article 19bdc01c44d7b$31c75640$a501280a@phx.gbl, "M Rideout" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > I am trying to import data into Entourage X that came > from Outlook Express 5.02. When I import in Entourage > f...

No Assigned Licenses
We have a total of 5 licenses. However only three users can access the CRM applications. If any other user tries to access the application we get an error message stating No Assigned Licenses Any suggestions? Thanks. Matthew You have to actually go assign the users licenses with the CRM, Log in to CRM as administrator, Click Settings from the Left menu, Click Business Unit Settings, Click users, Click the user you want to assign a license to, then from the popup click license from the left menu, Click Manage Licenses and add a license to that user. Just to warn you do not remove the l...

how do you send excel data from office to the treo phone?

Need Help, rebuilding Workstation, want to preserve user settings. SBS 2003
My boss's workstation has been giving problems for over a year. I'm going to rebuild his windows XP and upgrade to a SSD drive. We store very little on the workstation, I have redirected user home directory and user profile to the server. What do I need to do when putting a fresh XP workstation back on the network so that I can preserve as many of the user settings as possible? do I need to do the "connectcomputer" url thing again? It's always been a little mysterious to me. I did it in the beginning and haven't changed a thing since. Need a little gu...

what is 11" X 17" paper size called in excel page setup?
in page setup what is 11" X 17" called I don't think excel has a special term for this. It's more of a printer property. (My printer at home doesn't support this size paper, for example.) Jeremy wrote: > > in page setup what is 11" X 17" called -- Dave Peterson On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 07:01:02 -0700, Jeremy <Jeremy@discussions.microsoft.com> brought to our attention: >in page setup what is 11" X 17" called If the size is available on your printer, it is sometimes referred as Ledger. And sometimes tabloid and B size, too: http:/...

automatic sum calculation of cell values
Hi, I have applied cell calcutation function "sum" to calcuate the sume of cell values in a table column. But the sum is not updating automatically when I change the cell values. Is it possible to automatically update the sum? Thanks! Not in an ordinary table. In a protected form, a calculated field will update automatically if "Calculate on exit" is enabled in each form field that contributes to the calculation. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Maanu" <Maanu@d...

Outlook 2003 newsgroup?
Is there a newsgroup for the beta release ? This is it. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Stuart Errington" <stuart.errington@lonsdale.co.uk> wrote in message news:uQSuBI7aDHA.1740@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Is there a newsgroup for the beta release ? > > ...

2 Exchange 2003R2 over VPN
I currently have one Exchange 5.5 SP4 server located stateside with a remote office in Hungary that connects via VPN to the Exchange server. Pretty simple with one GAL, message store and one domain. Current total users is <50 with 2 users currently in HU but more coming. Due to time shift (6 hours ahead and no nighttime support) issues and VPN reliability, management has decided it would be good to have a file/Exchange server in Hungary. I want to be able to stay with one domain (companyname.com) and keep the same message store and GAL, if possible. Management has given the go-ahead to ...

Public Folder woes with Outlook 2003
I am having a problem seeing Public Folders while using Outlook 2003. There are no problems when using Outlooks 2000 or XP. Here's the scenario. I have 3 exchange servers (ServerA, ServerB, ServerC), all running Exchange 2000 SP3. ServerA was the first server in the domain. The public folders are set up to replicate to all servers. The users who have mailboxes on ServerA can see the Public Folders using all editions of Outlook, including 2003. The users who have mailboxes on ServerB & ServerC can see the Pubic Folder tree but cannot view any items within. The error message states th...

Serial Numbers auto assigned
S/N are being auto assigned when the SOP Setup Options DO NOT have "auto-assign serial numbers" marked. We do NOT want to use a separate fulfillment process. Up until a few months ago, everything was fine. Now, when a PO item, assigned to a sales line item comes in, the s/n is autoassigned. How can I get this to go back the way it was? Below is the way we have had our SOP set up for eight years - why has it changed? Set-up>SOP>ORDER Allocate by: Doc/Batch X Transfer Order to BO / Transfer Order to Invoice Options: X Allow repeating documents _ Use Separate Fulfil...

Creating a Word Mail-Merge doc from Excel
Hi - I have an Excel 2003 workbook, and from within it (using VB), I would like to create a new Word doc, make it a Mail-Merge doc (for labels) using the data in my spreadsheet, format the labels, etc. I have been able to pull the data from an Access database, do the manipulation I need to make it look right, and now I need to mail-merge it out. For a whole bunch of reasons, I can't do the whole thing in Access. I seem to be getting close, but I can't make the various code snippets I've found play nicely together. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Thank...

Outlook 2003 Signatures, not working correctly
While looking online today for something else, I found the demos on Microsoft's web site for creating signatures. I followed them and created a few different signatures for my different needs. I then selected a default one. When I compose a new message it does add it there with no problem. I followed the instructions about right clicking on the signature to change it to one of the others. I don't get the signature box with the choices, I just get the regular right click box like you cliked anywhere in the e-mail. I tried in various spots and no luck. What am I doing wrong?...

Copying a formula but 'skipping' a cell
I have a spreadsheet with 2 workbooks. One is an automatic data input from a GPS logger which provides a CSV file that imports a comma delimited format into discrete lines. The input comes in from this worksheet (import) as Data Set A1 Data Set B1 Data Set A2 Data Set B2 The main worksheet (main) needs to display these as Data Set A1 Data Set B1 Data Set A2 Data Set B2 I've done a sample for 10 data sets (e.g. first bit of A1 is =import!C14) but I need 1000 lines in the main worksheet. Problem is that when I copy and paste the formula it increments the cell reference by 1 and I ne...

Importing customizations from 1.2 to 3.0???
Hi, I would expect that importing customizations from an existing MS CRM deployment (1.2) to a CRM 3.0 environment should be no issue. MS has used the seemless upgrade and metabase usage as their no.1 selling agrument. When the language codes are alike, is this possible? In other words, when upgrading to 3.0, the customizations from 1.2 (all through the standard config. tools..) should just be taken over, or not??? Thanks CRM Demo Hi, You can upgrade your system very easily if you have made no unsupported customizations. Just follow this document: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/det...

Creating an installer for an Excel toolbar
I have written an Excel Add-In using VBA. It is operated by a toolbar that I have created. I want to be able to put in on the internet using an installer so that users can download and run the installer and the Add-In will automatically be installed with the toolbar visible. I can't find any information on how to do this, but I know that it can be done because I have seen similar toolbars with installers on the Download.com website. Can anybody help? Many thanks, Richard Beare -- Richard Beare ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Richard Beare&...