How do I add row total when cell contains both number and letter .

I have a timesheet spreadsheet.  Cell contents include hours and coding.
Example: 8 (8 hours regular pay-no letter) or 8V (8 hours vacation pay).  I
want to have a total at the end but my formula will only read the cells that
don't have a letter after the number.
0
cbarcroft (1)

If the text value is always "V" you could use something like
=SUM(IF(RIGHT(A18:A21,1)="V",VALUE(LEFT(A18:A21,LEN(A18:A21)-1)),A18:A21))
entered as an array formula (control-shift -return)
If there are other codes than just V,  it gets a little more complex. if the
coding is never more than just one character you could use
=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(A18:A21),A18:A21,VALUE(LEFT(A18:A21,LEN(A18:A21)-1))))
entered as array formula.

"cbarcroft" wrote:

> I have a timesheet spreadsheet.  Cell contents include hours and coding.
> Example: 8 (8 hours regular pay-no letter) or 8V (8 hours vacation pay).  I
> want to have a total at the end but my formula will only read the cells that
> don't have a letter after the number.
0
BJ (832)
4/18/2005 6:16:03 PM
 There are several codes used, but only one per cell.  Example...
04/15      04/16        04/17
8             8V            8H

Does that make sense?  I'd attach the spreadsheet if I could.

"bj" wrote:

> If the text value is always "V" you could use something like
> =SUM(IF(RIGHT(A18:A21,1)="V",VALUE(LEFT(A18:A21,LEN(A18:A21)-1)),A18:A21))
> entered as an array formula (control-shift -return)
> If there are other codes than just V,  it gets a little more complex. if the
> coding is never more than just one character you could use
> =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(A18:A21),A18:A21,VALUE(LEFT(A18:A21,LEN(A18:A21)-1))))
> entered as array formula.
>
> "cbarcroft" wrote:
>
> > I have a timesheet spreadsheet.  Cell contents include hours and coding.
> > Example: 8 (8 hours regular pay-no letter) or 8V (8 hours vacation pay).  I
> > want to have a total at the end but my formula will only read the cells that
> > don't have a letter after the number.
The second equation should work then

"carriebarcroft" wrote:

>  There are several codes used, but only one per cell.  Example...
> 04/15      04/16        04/17
> 8             8V            8H
>
> Does that make sense?  I'd attach the spreadsheet if I could.
>
> "bj" wrote:
>
> > If the text value is always "V" you could use something like
> > =SUM(IF(RIGHT(A18:A21,1)="V",VALUE(LEFT(A18:A21,LEN(A18:A21)-1)),A18:A21))
> > entered as an array formula (control-shift -return)
> > If there are other codes than just V,  it gets a little more complex. if the
> > coding is never more than just one character you could use
> > =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(A18:A21),A18:A21,VALUE(LEFT(A18:A21,LEN(A18:A21)-1))))
> > entered as array formula.
> >
> > "cbarcroft" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a timesheet spreadsheet.  Cell contents include hours and coding.
> > > Example: 8 (8 hours regular pay-no letter) or 8V (8 hours vacation pay).  I
> > > want to have a total at the end but my formula will only read the cells that
> > > don't have a letter after the number.
0
BJ (832)
4/18/2005 9:45:08 PM
=SUM(A1:A4)+(COUNTIF(A1:A4,"8v")*8)+(COUNTIF(A1:A4,"8H")*8)...etc etc for
additional codes........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"cbarcroft" <cbarcroft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a timesheet spreadsheet.  Cell contents include hours and coding.
> Example: 8 (8 hours regular pay-no letter) or 8V (8 hours vacation pay).
> want to have a total at the end but my formula will only read the cells
that
> don't have a letter after the number.

0
croberts (1377)

how to read the serial number of a mother board?
Any code can read the serial number of a mother board? any example? Thanks! Crystal On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:07:16 +0800, "Crystal Lin" <linwingyee@hotmail.com> wrote: >Any code can read the serial number of a mother board? any example? Thanks! > Do all computers have "mother boards" and do all mother boards have serial numbers? > Any code can read the serial number of a mother board? any example? Thanks! You can read the Serial Number of the hard drive using DiskId32 at http://www.winsim.com/diskid32/diskid32.html . Lynn Let me guess: another mis...

Linked cells within a wokbook
I have a workbook with about 40 worksheets, there are links between the workbooks that sporadically do not update. I have checked the links when they freeze and have been unable to identify the cause. Eg cell c76=a number from a lookup table, is referenced throughout the workbook, in various functions. When c76 changes the functions freeze on the previous output of c76. The lookup table works and c76 changes accordingly, but the related functions do not. WHY Thanks in advance ...

Cells #3
How I can make a cell contact with another cell on another sheet and it will changes when day changes. example I have cell A1 sheet1 contact with cell A2 sheet 2 and cell A1 sheet 2 is the date when the date change A1 sheet 1 will auto change to B2 sheet 2 and the date = B2 Ali, You could use the CHOOSE function which returns the nth value. For example, =CHOOSE(3, A2, B3, C4, D5, E6) will return A4, the third value in the array {A2, B3, C4, D5, E6}. This works well if the cells are not contiguous, but you are limited to 30 values if I remember well. If your values are in contiguous ce...

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

Run macro via cell value
Is it possible to run a macro based on the value of a cell. Say for example A1 contains the word "run" can that word be the trigger to automatically run a macro? Pat Hi Pat A worksheet formula can not trig a macro. No way. But a worksheet has several events; macros that run when certain things happen. There is an event firing when you enter something into a cell, another when the sheet recalculates, ... see http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm for more on this. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Pat" <glass_patrick@hotmail.com> skrev i melding news:OV4A5QBUFHA.58...

form cell question in Ver2000
I have a large sheet with email addresses in a column that only displays "yes" with the letters in a gray shaded area. When I hover over the cell the underlying email address becomes visible. I need to find a way to create a column of the email addresses. Any help will be appreciated. James It sounds like someone added hyperlinks to your worksheet. If you select the cell and do Insert|Hyperlink, do you see the email address in a nice dialog? If yes, you can use a user defined function to extract that link (including email address). Saved from a previous post: One way to e...

Excel Add Ins

Add on

Number entered automatically cut off
Hello, When I enter 100, it display 1, When I enter 1000, it display 10, ChefChaudart, Is that bad ? <grin> That is one of those things that everyone runs into you change the option and it doesn't seem to do anything so you leave it changed. If you enter a decimal point everything is normal i.e. 1000. or 1000.50 but if you fail to enter a decimal point your option in Tools, Options, Edit (tab), [x] fixed decimals 2 will be used. Remove the checkmark and you'll be fine. You can try that on your boss at April Fool's time as long as their not doing your sal...

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

highest number #2
Hi, Let's keep the problem simple. I have one cell that uses an exchange rate from the internet. That cell changes every minute. What I want to do: In an other cell, I want to keep the highest exchange rate ever. So for example: 6:00 exchange rate = 5.00 -- highest exchange rate is 5.00 6:01 exchange rate = 4.98 -- highest exchange rate is 5.00 6:02 exchange rate = 5.02 -- highest exchange rate is 5.02 6:03 exchange rate = 5.01 -- highest exchange rate is 5.02 6:04 exchange rate = 5.03 -- highest exchange rate is 5.03 Of course nor for any minute I use a new cell, it just change the n...

Replacing Cell Contents
Hello Folks Is there any way via formula to replace the contents of Cell A1 with a formula written in B1 or any other cell? Thanks Hi no way to achieve this with formulas. Formulas can only return values but not change other cells -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Bob Leathers wrote: > Hello Folks > > Is there any way via formula to replace the contents of Cell A1 with a > formula written in B1 or any other cell? > > Thanks Thanks for your reply. Is there then a way, via macro, to continually check to see if the value in cell A1 has changed? If so change th...

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

Format text to add character

SumIFS Cell
I am trying to reference a cell in a formula and I would like to say anything greater then cell J2 but when I input this it searches for text. =SUMIFS($B$2:$B$27,$A$2:$A$27,"000001",$C$2:$C$27,>D2) A B C D 1 00001 100 40248 40248 2 12001 150 40237 3 15001 200 40237 4 00001 150 40290 5 00001 50 40350 I would like the total to return 200 because Cell C5 and C4 are larger than Cell D1 in respect to the Sku number I would like to sum. But when I put in >J2 it enters “>J2” and it won’t return a value other then 0. (If I put in just D2 then it returns a valu...

Rank a Column + 1 cell from 2nd Col
I have 6 columns: A B C D E F 274 1 269 ? 279 ? 275 2 270 ? 280 ? 276 3 271 ? 281 ? 288 4 283 ? 293 ? Column B represents a simple 'Rank' of Column A In the first row of column 'D' I want the rank of the 269 in relatio to the figures in column 'A' which equals 1. I also want the rank o 270, 271 & 272 in relation to their position on Column 'A' - whic would equal 1, 1, 4 In Column 'F' I want the rank of those figures in 'E' relation to th values of column 'A'. Which would equal 4, 4, 4, 5 Any help would ...

Add File menu to custom toolbar

How does excel note a newline (ie new line but in same cell)
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi <br> Have legal transcription i need to manipulate partly in excel on mac. want each cell to be one question or answer in deposition, but can't allow excel to wrap the text of the question or answer, which is typically several lines, as in depositions each line is numbered and i want to preserve the numbers matching the lines. so i would like to manually add the character/formatting in my text editor before i bring the text back into excel. <br><br>or perhaps i can write an excel macro or f...

Cell Expansion
In an excel document, I have wrap text turned on, but the cell doesn't resize to accomodate the text. I tried format row autofit as well as double clicking on the bottom of the row, but nothing is happening. I had to widen the row myself by dragging the row bar down. Is there something else I need to turn on or off? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Kirk Is that text in a merged cell? If yes, then merged cells don't react nicely to autofit? Jim Rech wrote a macro called AutoFitMergedCellRowHeight that you may like: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e1%241uzL1BHA.1784%...

add a DC in a LegSite

Get Start date of Week number and Year
I’d like to build the following expression in my query GetStartWeekNumber(DatePart("ww",[EnteredDate]), Year([EnteredDate])) So if EnteredDate = 11/3/2009 the function would return 11/1/2009 But GetStartWeekNumber does not exist as an Access Built-In Function. Is there another way to do this as an expression in a query? I’m not familiar with creating my own functions. Thanks. That would depend on how you define the start of the week... One option would be to get the day-of-week number of the date (in my system/setup, Monday is day 2), then subtract one less than that...