How do capture the first three characters from one cell to another cell

"AGC4039" is in cell 1.  I want cell 2 to grab the first thre
characters from cell 1 so it will display "AGC"

Anybody know if excel can do this?

Thanks for your help!
Ale

--
ExcelAle
ExcelAlex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1555

=LEFT(cell1,3)

works dandy

--
jared
jaredh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1553

Median of Even Set; How to Capture them?
Hi everyone, Say I have a dat set such as: 4 5 6 7 The median is (5+6)/2=5.5! However, I am not interested in the answer here, but the 5 and the 6!!! Is there an excel function or way to do so? Thanks alot, Mike Do you want the output in one single cell or in 2 separate cells? Mike Wrote: > Hi everyone, > > Say I have a dat set such as: > > 4 > 5 > 6 > 7 > > The median is (5+6)/2=5.5! > > However, I am not interested in the answer here, but the 5 and the > 6!!! > > Is there an excel function or way to do so? > > Thanks alot, ...

delete all characters after an character
Hi I have a spread sheet where I have a colum with pack size ex: 10/20'. I would like to remove all character after the slash (/). I cannot use any of amount of character beacause it's not always the same format but the slash is always there. Remember I have over 10000 lines. Thank any help will be appreciated. try this. Also removes the / Sub findslash() For Each c In Selection x = InStr(c, "/") - 1 MsgBox Left(c, x) Next End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Jean-Francois Boucher" <Jean-Francois Boucher@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Yet another ICollection that doesn't serialize. Anyone see why?
Hi! I've got problems with serializing my collections of business objects. The objects themselves serialize fine, but the collections fail. I've got the following structure: Base collection class: Derives MarshalByValueComponent Implements ICollection, IList and ISerializable Explicitly implements the IList methods as private members, (ie. int IList.Add(object value)) since this is a base class not intended for use. Public properties/methods that should be there for Xml Serialization are public int Count public IEnumerator GetEnumerator() Derived collection class: Public properti...

Blank or Zero in cell required
A B C 1 1 10 10 2 2 12 22 3 3 15 37 4 4 0 37 5 5 0 37 6 6 0 37 Hi I hope I can explain this sufficiently well. Column A is week numbers (1-52), column B is points gained that week, column C is the cumulative total of points. So far so good...the problem is I would like the remaining cells in column C to be blank or contain a zero until that week is in play. However, when I copy the formula down the value from the last week populates the remaining weeks. Below if the formula I'm using, this would be in C3. I realise if I get rid of th...

email capture
I'm having a problem with Outlook not pulling the mail off my pop server. When I do a send and receive the mail is identified, "grabs" the messages like it's doing a download but when it reaches the end I'm getting an unknown error message. Any thoughts? 1) First, try to set up Outlook Express to download the email set. Sometimes it has better luck. 2) Another way is to clear the queue manually. This is technical, and not really recommended by anyone, but you may have a stuck message... Telnet to get it... (this method permanently deletes messages before you c...

Labels on Cells?
Excel 2003. Is there a way to place a label or tag on a cell in a sheet so that the cell may be referenced by that label or tag rather than by the cell number? I am building a workbook programmatically and it would be helpful if I could tag certain data in one sheet so that it could be referenced by another sheet regardless of the cell in which it ends up. For instance, I build a year to date sheet and it has totals at the bottom of the columns, but these totals do not always end up in the same row. In another sheet I want to reference these totals. If I could make a "tag"...

how can i start using excel for the first time?
i cant figure out how to get excel to work for me and im a first time user of it? i Cant get nothing to work on it? can anyone please help me here Paul Can you get Excel to start up? Can you get a blank workbook to open via File>New? For basics on Excel see.......... http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/index.html http://www.baycongroup.com/el0.htm Microsoft Training Courses. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/CR061831141033.aspx Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:39:02 -0800, "Paul Scheffer" <Paul Scheffer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i ...

How to separate numbers within a cells into column
Hi I have search all the web but still cannot find a solution to this problem. I have a single cell containing the number -> 12345 I wanted to either separate the number 1 into column A, 2 into Column B, 3 into Column C and so on. Otherwise, if inserting a space between 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 is also fine. How to go about it? Any EXCEL experts here can please advise me? Thank you very much. alvynng If your value is in B1, then in A1 enter: =MID($A2,COLUMN(),1) and copy across -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200787 Sorry I should have said the value nust be in A2, not B1 ...

fill cells with a value from two previous cells
Hi, I try to copy the letter value from column A and B to column C in the example below with a formula: A B C 1A A 2 I I 3... Thanks, FormulaChallenged Maybe this in Cell C1 and copy down........ =A1&B1 Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "FormulaChallenged" wrote: > Hi, > > I try to copy the letter value from column A and B to column C in the > example below with a formula: > > A B C > 1A A > 2 I I > 3... > > Thanks, > FormulaChallenged > > Assuming that there is a value in only column A or column B, ...

Cell Formating
Is there a way to use colors that are not included in the selection whe you format a cell -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Jomni, the answer is no -- with an asterisk. When formatting a cell, you can only pick from the 40 colors that appear (in Excel 2003 at least) on the color palette. But -- and here's the asterisk -- you can modify that color palette at any time (except when you're actually using it). To change Excel's available colors, pull down the Tools menu and select Options > Color > Modify. -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tri...

outlook 2002 how to view the character font size color menu on the top bar?
Hello, How can I let in a fix view the bar that shows character font, size and color? Is it possible when repplying to a received mail in between lines to decide the character font , size and color? how? Thanks, Mario ...

Capture user selection of font
If I put a font combo box on a Ribbonbar is there a way for me to capture the user's font choice? I need to capture that choice and use it in a macro. Whate *exactly* are you trying to achieve with your macro? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "dplaut"...

Attach a Mail Store to Another User
Background: Some people have left the company, and I want their managers to have easy access to the ex-employees mail store. Question: How can I attach one (defunct) user's mail store to another user? Naturally, I will add an alias to the manager's email account list so that future mail will go directly to him/her, but I need to know how to give access to the ex-employee's mail store so the manager can read the old mail from Outlook. By the way, if at all possible, the solution should not require the ex-employee to remain on the global address list. Thanks! v-tech On 10 Oct 2...

Making a One Column Directory from Two Columns
I'm using Excel 2003. I have a 2 column list of chapter members' names in one column and their schools inthe other. There are over 1800 entries. I want to end up with a single column sorted by the schools, with the name of the school in a row, followed below by the names of the graduates in separate rows. then the next school, etc. Like Emery-Riddle University Jones, Frank Smith, Fred Franklin University Adams, Susan Baker, Sam Is there a formula that can do this or do I have some (a lot) manual formatting to do? Thanks, Dennis Let's see. It's going to sound more...

Delete all occurrences of a character
Hi all! I have a spreadsheet of customer information broken up into 5 different columns. In the first column, "customer name", all the names are followed by the "~" character. I'm hoping there's a way to delete all occurrences of this character without manually removing each one. Thanks! Katie Hello, Try a Find/Replace, from the Edit menu. -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr "Harleygrrl814" <Harleygrrl814@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A166DCF-092C-4719-AD9B-266BA8A587C3@microsoft.com... > Hi all! I have a spreads...

Access 2003 and/or 2007 copy in objects from another mdb
Is is possible to write code in an Access MDB that will allow a user to select another Access MDB and then see a list of report and/or queries so they can select from the list. Then programatically copy in those objects from another mdb in to the current mdb? I know that access allows for the exporting and importing of objects but I have a need to do this programatically. Sure, it can be done. Here are the general outlines: 1) Use the Open/Save API that you can find here: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm to select the database file you want to inspect. 2) Progr...

Help! How do I multiply all selkected cells by 10%?
Looking to select a block of cell, an dmultiply them all by a given percentage (10%). Then, I'd like to replace the old cell values with these new higher values. Thanks! - Ken Hi try the following: - enter 0.1 in an empty cell and copy this cell (or if you want to increase the values by 10% enter 1.1) - select your 'old' data - goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Multiply' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Ken" <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:7A8EC5F6-84D1-45D6-85CE-2570D195849B@microsoft.com... > Looki...

Printing sheets based on a cell value
I have a workbook of about 30 sheets; each sheet has a date in K4, the value of which varies from sheet to sheet. I'm hoping for a method to cycle through the workbook and print the pages for which K4 equals a specific date such as 12/31/09. I've tried to Name a 3-D selection (K4 on each sheet) without success. I have cycled through rows on a single sheet before but I don't know how to cycle through sheets and then look at 1 cell on each. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. -- - markvi Hi Mark See http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#every -- Rega...

seperating data in an excel cell
I have inherited an excell database from which I need to seperate data in a cell. There are two names in the cell (First & Last and another First and Last). I need to extract the first (first and last name) and use it for a mailmerge as well as use the second name in the mail merge. The two names are seperated by a soft paragraph (return) marker. Is there a way to have excel seperate the two names into two seperate cells? I found this information from Chip Pearson http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm Rick wrote: > > I have inherited an excell database from which...

grid off on one page
Is it possible to turn the grid off of only one page? thanks On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:37:11 -0600, "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote: >Is it possible to turn the grid off of only one page? Not really as it is a document wide setting.... however, there is workaround open the page shapesheet menu window -> Show shapesheet and set XGridSpacing and YGridSpacing to a large value. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. SSADM for Visio http://www.saadm.sandrila.co.uk/ On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:47:53 +0000, Paul Herber <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wro...

Moving in a column by first letter of data in cells
Hi to all , I have a large worksheet (only a few thousand rows...) which makes it really cumbersome to move/scroll. I want to move around in one column by the first letter of word to enter data in the other columns (The same way we scroll in contacts of mobile phone by their first letter). I have sorted it alphabetically but still it's slow to move/scroll due to some codes and pivottables present in my workbook which have made my workbook quite sizeable. Regards. Say your names are in column A and that column B is available. In B1 enter: =LEFT(A2,1) and copy down. If then then...

Adding highlighted cells only -Excel 2000
Anyone know if there is a way to add only cells that are highlighted? I would like to see quick sums of only the cells I have highlighted and hoping there might be a way to do this quickly and easily. I have to do this many times with various cells with differing number values. Thanks in advance K By "highlighted" do you mean colored or simply selected? If the latter, use the Sum on the Status Bar. If the former..................... You will have to use VBA to grab the colorindex of the cells. Do you want to do that? See Chip Pearson's site for UDF's for working with co...

Cell Referencing #2
Hello All, If I have an excel spreadsheet open with two sheets. In Sheet1 in cell D2 is "Hello". In Sheet2 in cell F4 is the formula "=Sheet1!D2", so it also says "Hello". What I want is to have next to F4 in Sheet2 (in cell E4) a reference to which row in Sheet1 that the formula in F4 is referring to? Ie. Cell E4 should have the number 2 in it. Is this possible using the =INDIRECT function or something similar? With thanks Bruce Hi Bruce, use the formula =column(Sheet1!D2); Br, Dries. >-----Original Message----- >Hello All, > >If I...

Duplicate Transactions, One When Pending, One When Posted
I'm sure this has been addressed, but I couldn't seem to find an answer searching: My problem is, a transaction occurs at my bank, and MM2K7 downloads the data for it. Once that transaction moves from "Pending" to "Posted" at my bank, the transaction data changes, so MM downloads it again. Sometimes I get a possible duplicate message from MM, sometimes I don't. What are people doing to handle this situation? Thank you. This is a problem with your bank, not with Money. Eventually they should fix it. Call them. In the meantime VOID the pending transacti...

MSR Credit Card Reader adds all the information on one line
Is there a way to get the CC reader to properly seperate the the acct # from the expiration date? When I swipe I currently get everything on the acct # line. Thanks in advance! What type of CC reader(MSR) to you have? Typically this is an issue with simply configuring the MSR. Rob "Steakum" wrote: > Is there a way to get the CC reader to properly seperate the the acct # from > the expiration date? When I swipe I currently get everything on the acct # > line. > > Thanks in advance! Its a IDTECH Minimag USB/Keyboard Interface Do I need to select the Wedge Key...