How can i stop same data being repeated in a column

I have a list of contract numbers relating to application numbers or
payments. they are in the format nnnnnnan or nnnnnnpn. The columns are fixed
to this format only. If they are entered with the a or p in the wrong place
or if they have been left out completely an error message will appear to
alert the user. I want to know how to alert the user if they enter an
application or a payment number that has already been entered.
ie if they enter 022079a4 but that same application has been entered else
where in the column.
Hope you can help
Ru
0
Ru (5)

Hello
See Chip Pearson's
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

HTH
Cordially
Pascal

"Ru" <Ru@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
02893BBE-6BBD-47B3-85CD-EA5BA183D007@microsoft.com...
>I have a list of contract numbers relating to application numbers or
> payments. they are in the format nnnnnnan or nnnnnnpn. The columns are
> fixed
> to this format only. If they are entered with the a or p in the wrong
> place
> or if they have been left out completely an error message will appear to
> alert the user. I want to know how to alert the user if they enter an
> application or a payment number that has already been entered.
> ie if they enter 022079a4 but that same application has been entered else
> where in the column.
> Hope you can help
> Ru

0
papou
5/23/2005 1:01:19 PM
Hi thanks for that link but i couldnt get it to work. If anyone has a step by
step suggestion that would be very helpful. And if its a formula should i put
it at the top of the column or where. All suggestions gratefully accepted.
Thanks
Ru

"Ru" wrote:

> I have a list of contract numbers relating to application numbers or
> payments. they are in the format nnnnnnan or nnnnnnpn. The columns are fixed
> to this format only. If they are entered with the a or p in the wrong place
> or if they have been left out completely an error message will appear to
> alert the user. I want to know how to alert the user if they enter an
> application or a payment number that has already been entered.
> ie if they enter 022079a4 but that same application has been entered else
> where in the column.
> Hope you can help
> Ru
0
Ru (5)
5/23/2005 1:26:11 PM
Try the Data Validation method at Chip's nodupe site.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 23 May 2005 06:26:11 -0700, "Ru" <Ru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi thanks for that link but i couldnt get it to work. If anyone has a step by
>step suggestion that would be very helpful. And if its a formula should i put
>it at the top of the column or where. All suggestions gratefully accepted.
>Thanks
>Ru
>
>"Ru" wrote:
>
>> I have a list of contract numbers relating to application numbers or
>> payments. they are in the format nnnnnnan or nnnnnnpn. The columns are fixed
>> to this format only. If they are entered with the a or p in the wrong place
>> or if they have been left out completely an error message will appear to
>> alert the user. I want to know how to alert the user if they enter an
>> application or a payment number that has already been entered.
>> ie if they enter 022079a4 but that same application has been entered else
>> where in the column.
>> Hope you can help
>> Ru

0
Gord

splitting one column into two columns ... not what you think
i have fixed column widths that can't be changed; nor can any other columns be added to the worksheet ... i've got data in one column that represents "results" ... within the results column though, i need two columns (starting directly below the "results" cell, one that reads "in range" and that other that reads "out of range" ... so: if i'm on [column a] [cell 1] i want: "results" ... in [column a] [cell 2] i want: "in range" AND "out of range" with a line down the middle. "text to column" is ...

SFO Stops working after IP Change
Hi, Last week I changed the subnet our network is one, so the IP address of the CRM Server and Exchange server have changed. Since then some of the users are having trouble with the Sales for Outlook plug in. It happens on my machine as well. When I start Outlook I get this message: --------------------------- Microsoft CRM --------------------------- There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM server. The server might be unavailable. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've ...

Can't use Merge feature
If I have a postcard file I've already made on the screen, when I try to pull up the "Merge" feature under Tools, it is shaded grey and I can't open it. It insists that I either form a new database list of addresses or edit the one that I want to merge. I don't want to edit the one I want to merge. I just want to MERGE it. If, however, I have just a postcard template on the screen (without it having been made into anything), I CAN pull up the "merge" feature under Tools. It is not shaded out. How do I un-shade the "merge" feature? To merg...

Finding duplicates in column
Hi, I have Excel 2002 and have 6000 emails addresses in a column. How can I find if there are any duplicates in that column? Thanks rock Assuming the data is in column A, add a formula in column B of =IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A1,$A1)>1,"Duplicate","") Cpy that down, then you can filter column B for Duplicate Sorry to be so newby Bob, but when you say 'copy' down, what exactly do you mean? I have entered the formula in B1 but.. Thanks rock Bob Phillips wrote: > Assuming the data is in column A, add a formula in column B of > > =IF(COUNTI...

Passing data from one form to another

Recurring Transactions or Repeat Sales
Hi Is there a way to process recurring transactions or repeat sales in Store Operations or is there any third party add on available for this purpose? We have a computer store and offer service contracts to our customers for which we bill them on regular basis either monthly or quarterly. At the moment we just have to make a not of when their next bill is due and then we enter the transaction the store operations. Ues a program Called ESC from costal Computer corporation. That is what it is made for. Rick, We are currently implementing ConnectWise PSA (connectwise.com). It is ...

can you tell me what an error 920 is?
I'm trying to save a visio file out as a jpeg, or gif, or png. I keep getting the error with no explanation of what the error means - any help is appreciated You can go to the following link and it explains the issue you are having and how to fix it: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=295691 "Julie" wrote: > I'm trying to save a visio file out as a jpeg, or gif, or png. I keep > getting the error with no explanation of what the error means - any help is > appreciated > > > ...

can you see what i am writting?

Help ! formatting data to text

How can I choose alternate rows in a column?
My requirement is to be able to create a column whose elements consist of difference between adjacent elements in a column, say column A. If I can choose alternate elements and create 2 new columns then I can just subtract the 2 columns easily. Huh? "pnair" <pnair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D47AD012-084B-49C6-8672-5067E8455D9E@microsoft.com... > My requirement is to be able to create a column whose elements consist of > difference between adjacent elements in a column, say column A. If I can > choose alternate elements and create 2 new colum...

Assign values for one column to another.
Hi I have in column T certain numbers and texts that that I require to assign a value to as below, in the adjacent column. Again any pointers would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow T U 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 0 10 F 10 UR 10 U 10 R 10 S 10 L 10 P 10 PU 10 BD 10 D 10 Well, imagine that two-column table occupies cells Y1:Z20. Put this formula in U1: =3DVLOOKUP(T1,Y$1,Z$20,2,0) and copy down. Hope this helps. Pete On Oct 14, 4:26=A0pm, Celticshadow <Celticsha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi > >...

Column styles doesn't appear on the worksheet
Hello, one of my customers has changed the windows xp designs to its own. From this moment excel doesn't show the font color and the background color of a cell in the worksheet. Only in the print preview you can see the color settings of the cells. I'm not shure if this problem belongs to the changing of the windows xp designs, but from this moment it did occur. This occurs on new excel-documents and on existing ones. With another user account on the same machine the problem doesn't occur. I have reinstalled Office 2003 and even deleted user registry entries for Office...

Exchange Stops Working
Hello. MY SETUP: 1. Primary server named STECNICIL (THIS HAS WINDOWS 2003 ENTERPRISE SERVER) 2. Secondary server name TEC-EXCHNG (THIS IS THE EXCHANGE SBS SERVER 2003) All the user connect through STECNICIL to get internet and every other service... All users connect to TEC-EXCHNG to get their email through OUTLOOK 2003. MY PROBLEM: I don't know what's going on but approximatly every 30mn to 1 hour, the connections between the clients and the EXCHANGE SERVER stops working. No more email for clients after that period of time. I have restart the server and restart the EXCH...

how do i recover data in publisher
i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked the "ok" button in the window and lost all data . can i recover it Look in a folder in My Documents named "My Data Sources". Publisher data is saved as .mdb(Access) file. Did you try selecting "Edit Address List" in the Mailings and Catalog menu (Tools)? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "dee" <dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:690430F1-36DE-47EE-8B7D-DD12A096C075@microsoft.com... >i have been entering addresses to set up a mail merge. i cllicked ...

Can't Stop External Hard Drive
I have a Western Digital 250 gb external hard drive connected via USB port. I am also running Outlook 2007, which I believe has a function searchindexer.exe that searches all my drives to index the files on them. I want to be able to unplug the drive without first turning off my computer. But I get messages saying that the drive can't be stopped. It used to be that if I stopped searchindexer.exe, I could stop the drive. But that's stopped working. Here are two questions: 1. What is preventing me from stopping the drive?; 2. What is the worst that can happe...

Using subtotals as single data entries
Sorry about the subject--I couldn't figure out how to describe it simply. I have a large file (16,000 records) of amounts billed by roughly 10,000 service providers. A number of these providers have multiple office locations, so each record is unique to a specific office location. In other words, a provider who billed from 3 different office locations will have 3 entries. Each provider has a unique provider ID number, which stays the same regardless of which office location he is billing from. I want to be able to subtotal the amount billed by each provider for all their office locations...

Hide columns if there are no entry's in column
Hi everyone, I have a workbook with multiple sheets. One sheet is a overview from all the sheets and had all dates in it. Is there a VBA to hide columns when there are no entry's in it? The code has to work when I open the sheet "overview" Hope someone can help me with it! Thanks in advanced! Regards Berry Berry, If you have a row that when blank would indicate which columns to hide, you could use On Error Resume Next Rows("1:1").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).EntireColumn.Hidden = True HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP <blommerse@saz.nl> wrote in message news:118...