How can I get text to equal a numerical value in Excel?

I am developing a scheduling program for my workplace.  The program will
automatically calculate total time scheduled based on times entered (i.e.,
8:00AM start time in one cell, 5:00PM end time in the next cell calculates to
9 hours in a third cell).  However, we need to indicate days off, vacations
and leaves of absences.  When we enter text into the first cell, it obviously
destroys the calculation in the third cell.  I need to be able to have Excel
assign a value of "0" for any cell that has text.  Thanks, Mike
0
Mike1154 (1216)

Mike,
I fixed similar problems in my files by using the if & iserror
functions.  For example, if(iserror(a1+b1),0,a1+b1).

I may not have the exact formatting for the iserror portion but it
should be close.

Thank you, Kevin!

"Kevin" wrote:

> Mike,
> I fixed similar problems in my files by using the if & iserror
> functions.  For example, if(iserror(a1+b1),0,a1+b1).
>
> I may not have the exact formatting for the iserror portion but it
> should be close.

Newbie: counting repeated values ???????
Hello all, I know little about Excel that's why i am posting this message here. I have a sheet with several columns, one of those columns have always one of this 2 values: YES or NO My question is, is there a way to count how many YES or NO are in that column and display the number in other cell? I already tried =+COUNTIF(D10:D240,"Yes") but i get a msg saying my form have an error. Thanks in advance, Helder Portugal Helder Take the + sign out of your formula =COUNTIF(C3:C8,"Yes") >-----Original Message----- >Hello all, > >I know little about Excel...

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Text Box #2
I inserted a text box in excel using the click and drag text from the tool bar and entered the relevant comments in english and as soon as I finish the language changes to German. I have done all the basic stuff like clearing any formats, removing the text box and inserting a new box, checking langauge settings etc, but nothing works. I have than inserted 2 more text boxes in the same manner and typed the text in english and these have been fine. Can anyone tell what could be causing this problem? ...

Can't send/receive

Make table truncates text concatenated using fnConcatenate
I have a MakeTable query which uses the fnConcatenate( ) function to merge a bunch of information into a single field. Unfortunately, the field length exceeds 255 characters and the MakeTable tries to dump this into a text field, rather than identifying that the field should be a memo field. I know I could create the base table and import the data from my query into that table, but I would prefer to make this table on the fly, and then delete it when I am done with it. Any recommendations? -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:48:04 -07...

Can not Customize Leads View

Hyperlink value crashes Access
If I assign a hyperlink value to a cmd button or in code using the follow hyperlink method, using a link value like http://www.cookbookplus.com/Activate.aspx, the page is accessed [Internet Explorer] OK, but the Access app crashes every time. However, if I instead just target the main web site http://www.cookbookplus.com that page is opened AND Access does not crash. Crashes also occur if a hyperlink field is populated with http://www.cookbookplus.com/Activate.aspx Again, that page is opened in IE, but Access crashes. The targeted page is a simple, safe, publicly available...

Excel's calculations are off a few cents!
I can't figure out why my TOTAL for $ column is off from 1-5 cents. When I check the amounts going across, they are correct, but the amount at the bottom of the column is off!! What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have to manually check all Excel's figures. View more decimal places Natalie, does it still add up incorrectly?? I'm guessing your summing calculated values, that are viewed at less precision than calculated. You can use ROUND(formula, #decimals) to make the calculations round to the precision you desire, or you can set "Tools&q...

Bulk attachments

CListCtrl
Hi, Does anybody know an easy of removing the black vertical tracking line that appears while resizing columns? I've been trying to prevent it through HDN_ENDTRACK / HDN_TRACK, but I wasn't successfull. Is there a specific flag that I can set to disable it instead? Thanks in advance for your time, Best regards, -Onur I can't imagine why you'd want to do that, but here's my suggestion: Override the CListrCtrl and CHeaderCtrl class, and have your listview control use your derived header control. In the header control class, handle the WM_SETCURSOR message and load a d...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

What is the quickest way to get an xml based dataset to add entries to SQL Server?
Because there is no 'datareader' involved, what is the most efficient way to get an XML based dataset to be added to an SQL server dataset? I would hate to have to create a new SQL connection and iterate through making "executenonquery" for each row in the dataset. That seems horribly in-efficient. I know of no other way to get an xml based dataset to push data to the database though. Any pointers? Thanks for any pointers, Peter Robbins Freelance Programmer C#/PHP "MurdockSE" <murdock@nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:1153922058.675709.165630@h48g2000cwc.go...

Can (or how can) I do this

Writing Text File with code UTF-8
Hello Does somebody know how to write a Text File with code UTF-8 from Dexterity? I know that are 3 functions to write text files: TextFile_Writeline() TextFile_WriteDOS() TextFile_WriteText() But there is not therein a parameter to achieve text file be written with code UTF-8. I=92ll appreciate your guide. Best regards. ------=_NextPart_0001_A41C49B3 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Dexterity does not support double byte or unicode. You might need to use COM or win32 dll calls to get the OS to write the file for you. The difference between WriteLine and WriteDOS i...

How do i convert excel to csv in command line? ( not save as)
I am trying to automate a system which needs the files in csv format. Is there any way to convert excel to csv in command line, instead of the usual 'save as'? PS: If you know any UNIX utilities too, please mention. F1, No way I can think of from the command line. You could write an Excel macro that controls the whole process. Open a file, save as csv, close, next file, loop. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "F1" <F1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67ACCB6-CC54-4B5E-...