How can I copy a list from word into a single cell in excel

Data in word is presented as a bullet list.  I have copied this data into a
new doc and removed the formatting to leave just the list of items.  I now
wish to copy this data into excel but want it to appear in one single cell
retaining its list  format rather than continuous text
0
hermes (5)

Well, you can save it as TEXT and then read into WORD.   If you really want
it in one cell, you can then concatenate the values together using a formula
similar to this

=A1&B1
If you want a space between the data, use
=A1&" "&B1

Remember that there is a cell length limit that you may come up against.

"Hermes" <Hermes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Data in word is presented as a bullet list.  I have copied this data into
> new doc and removed the formatting to leave just the list of items.  I now
> wish to copy this data into excel but want it to appear in one single cell
> retaining its list  format rather than continuous text

0
reply6075 (299)
10/11/2005 10:03:37 AM
Copy the list in Word
In Excel, select the cell where you want the list to appear
Click in the Formula bar
Click the Paste button on the toolbar.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
10/11/2005 1:38:35 PM
Thank you for responding.  My colleague has returned and the easy option is
to remove all formatting from the list in word, copy it and then double click
the cell in excel before you paste.  This allows you to edit the text in
excel as well!  So simple but not mentioned anywhere aaaaaaaarghh!

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

> Well, you can save it as TEXT and then read into WORD.   If you really want
> it in one cell, you can then concatenate the values together using a formula
> similar to this
>
> =A1&B1
> If you want a space between the data, use
> =A1&" "&B1
>
> Remember that there is a cell length limit that you may come up against.
>
> "Hermes" <Hermes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Data in word is presented as a bullet list.  I have copied this data into
> > new doc and removed the formatting to leave just the list of items.  I now
> > wish to copy this data into excel but want it to appear in one single cell
> > retaining its list  format rather than continuous text

0
hermes (5)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Formatting a single grid line
Don't laugh but I was wondering if there was a back door way of bolding up a single horizontal gridline to make it stand out from the rest. My alternative is to draw a line on the chart but then I need to adjust it if my scale changes. Thanks much, Reney Hi Reney, Unfortunately you can only format all of the gridlines at once. Have a look at these examples for adding a line to a chart. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Reney Langlois wrote:...

Can't send/receive

Global Address List creation in the console
It makes no sense to us that the console interface for creating address lists is not available for creating global address lists. It would be helpful if the same options and the same wizard were available for dealing with global address lists, that are available for dealing with regular address lists. Thanks ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in ...

Can not Customize Leads View

exporting category list
How do you export the category list in Money 2004? Thanks. Glenn IF you want to get categories that have been used in transactions, probably the best way is to use MoneyLink to pull all transactions for all dates for all accounts into Excel. From there, simple spreadsheet manipulation can get you there along these lines: 1) Copy the category/subcategory columns to a new sheet. 2) Sort the entries on Category and Subcategory. 3) Create a formula to only show the Category/Subcategory if it's not what's in the next row. 4) Copy the unique resultant column(s). 5) Paste Special|Values ...

Excel's calculations are off a few cents!
I can't figure out why my TOTAL for $ column is off from 1-5 cents. When I check the amounts going across, they are correct, but the amount at the bottom of the column is off!! What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have to manually check all Excel's figures. View more decimal places Natalie, does it still add up incorrectly?? I'm guessing your summing calculated values, that are viewed at less precision than calculated. You can use ROUND(formula, #decimals) to make the calculations round to the precision you desire, or you can set "Tools&q...

Bulk attachments

how do i do an alphabetical list of songs for a booklet
i need to do a booklet of song titles for karaoke booklets but thgey need to be done in alphabetical order, any ideas what i need ? use Word document -- davidm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ davidm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20645 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=375228 All you need to do is enter the song titles into a column in Excel and you can use the DATA -> SORT command to sort them in "ABC Order". Can you tell I have a school age child...

Can't delete email #2

Formatting does not follow when copying from one cell to another
I have a cell on sheet 1 that I have added text to with some bolding, coloring of text, etc. On Sheet 2 I have a cell that I have told to copy whatever is in the cell on sheet 1 described above. Why doesn't the formatting copy over too?? A formula returns a result, not any formatting. Pete On Apr 7, 9:55=A0pm, Banker <Ban...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a cell on sheet 1 that I have added text to with some bolding, > coloring of text, etc. On Sheet 2 I have a cell that I have told to copy > whatever is in the cell on sheet 1 described above. =...

Can Not Reply To Emails

Problem at "Save as"
Hi, I'm having a problem at excel that i don't have on other computers: when i click save as, i would like, as usual, that on the file name window, apeared only the current file name, and not "copy from "filename"". Can you help me, removing this annoying feature? Thanks Cako It probably says "Copy of" and that would be because the file you're trying to save was opened "read only". (You would see that in the title bar). You'll have to figure out why that was but it might be that the file has its "read only" file attrib...

Distribution Lists #19
I run Outlook 2002 on Windows XP. I have no problems sending emails to individual parties. The problem comes when I try to send a group email to a distribution list. When I send to a distribution list, the email will show up in the "Sent" folder but no one will have received it. The next time I try to send any email, I'll get a send/receive error, "Task 'mail.comcast.net-sending and receiving error (0x80042108): Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) email server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or in...

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

How do i convert excel to csv in command line? ( not save as)
I am trying to automate a system which needs the files in csv format. Is there any way to convert excel to csv in command line, instead of the usual 'save as'? PS: If you know any UNIX utilities too, please mention. F1, No way I can think of from the command line. You could write an Excel macro that controls the whole process. Open a file, save as csv, close, next file, loop. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "F1" <F1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67ACCB6-CC54-4B5E-...