How can I convert text to all lowercase?

How can I convert text to all lowercase?

I know that I can use the Format menu to convert a block of text to all
uppercase, but is there any way to convert it to lowercase?

If not with Excel, how about Word, DOS, any other way.

I'm using Excel 7.0 (Office 95).
Thanks in advance!

Take a look at David McRitchie's Lower() Macro (I believe it will
work in XL7):

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#lower

In article <20031207155812.23043.00000330@mb-m27.aol.com>,
 hbyardsale@aol.comnetorg (HBYardSale) wrote:

> How can I convert text to all lowercase?
>
> I know that I can use the Format menu to convert a block of text to all
> uppercase, but is there any way to convert it to lowercase?
>
> If not with Excel, how about Word, DOS, any other way.
>
> I'm using Excel 7.0 (Office 95).
> Thanks in advance!

0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
12/7/2003 9:11:00 PM
Don't have Excel 7 so can't test it on that, but try the following.  Not the
most efficient way of doing it, but I'm not sure what Excel 7 will support:-

This will do everything on the sheet, but if you prefer to do just a selection,
just change the

For Each cell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange

For Each cell In Selection

Sub MakeLowercase()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

 For Each cell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
    If cell.HasFormula = False Then
      cell.Value = LCase(cell.Value)
    End If
 Next cell

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

Newsgroups - Where you really can get a free lunch!!

"HBYardSale" <hbyardsale@aol.comnetorg> wrote in message
> How can I convert text to all lowercase?
>
> I know that I can use the Format menu to convert a block of text to all
> uppercase, but is there any way to convert it to lowercase?
>
> If not with Excel, how about Word, DOS, any other way.
>
> I'm using Excel 7.0 (Office 95).
> Thanks in advance!

---

ken.wright (2489)
12/7/2003 9:14:20 PM
Word has that built in, under format>Change Case,
maybe that is what you were thinking of? Excel does not have that built in,
you either have to use
a help column and a formula

=UPPER(A2)

copy down, copy and paste special as values over the old values, delete help
column

or you could run a macro like the one below

Sub UpCase()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
  Dim R As Range
  For Each R In Selection.Cells
    If R.HasFormula Then
      R.Formula = "=UPPER(" & Mid(R.Formula, 2) & ")"
    Else
      R.Value = UCase(R.Value)
    End If
  Next
  Application.DisplayAlerts = True
End Sub

press Alt + F11, click insert module and paste in the above,
press At + Q to close the VBE, select the text and press Alt + F8 to run the
macro

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"HBYardSale" <hbyardsale@aol.comnetorg> wrote in message
> How can I convert text to all lowercase?
>
> I know that I can use the Format menu to convert a block of text to all
> uppercase, but is there any way to convert it to lowercase?
>
> If not with Excel, how about Word, DOS, any other way.
>
> I'm using Excel 7.0 (Office 95).
> Thanks in advance!

0
terre081 (3244)
12/7/2003 9:15:46 PM
Oops!

Sub LowCase()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
  Dim R As Range
  For Each R In Selection.Cells
    If R.HasFormula Then
      R.Formula = "=LOWER(" & Mid(R.Formula, 2) & ")"
    Else
      R.Value = LCase(R.Value)

"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Word has that built in, under format>Change Case,
> maybe that is what you were thinking of? Excel does not have that built
in,
> you either have to use
> a help column and a formula
>
> =UPPER(A2)
>
> copy down, copy and paste special as values over the old values, delete
help
> column
>
> or you could run a macro like the one below
>
> Sub UpCase()
> Application.DisplayAlerts = False
>   Dim R As Range
>   For Each R In Selection.Cells
>     If R.HasFormula Then
>       R.Formula = "=UPPER(" & Mid(R.Formula, 2) & ")"
>     Else
>       R.Value = UCase(R.Value)
>     End If
>   Next
>   Application.DisplayAlerts = True
> End Sub
>

> press Alt + F11, click insert module and paste in the above,
> press At + Q to close the VBE, select the text and press Alt + F8 to run
the
> macro
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "HBYardSale" <hbyardsale@aol.comnetorg> wrote in message
> > How can I convert text to all lowercase?
> >
> > I know that I can use the Format menu to convert a block of text to all
> > uppercase, but is there any way to convert it to lowercase?
> >
> > If not with Excel, how about Word, DOS, any other way.
> >
> > I'm using Excel 7.0 (Office 95).
> > Thanks in advance!

0
terre081 (3244)

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Text Box #2
I inserted a text box in excel using the click and drag text from the tool bar and entered the relevant comments in english and as soon as I finish the language changes to German. I have done all the basic stuff like clearing any formats, removing the text box and inserting a new box, checking langauge settings etc, but nothing works. I have than inserted 2 more text boxes in the same manner and typed the text in english and these have been fine. Can anyone tell what could be causing this problem? ...

Make table truncates text concatenated using fnConcatenate
I have a MakeTable query which uses the fnConcatenate( ) function to merge a bunch of information into a single field. Unfortunately, the field length exceeds 255 characters and the MakeTable tries to dump this into a text field, rather than identifying that the field should be a memo field. I know I could create the base table and import the data from my query into that table, but I would prefer to make this table on the fly, and then delete it when I am done with it. Any recommendations? -- Email address is not valid. Please reply to newsgroup only. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 12:48:04 -07...

Can't send/receive

Can not Customize Leads View

Bulk attachments

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Can (or how can) I do this

Can not archive

How do i convert excel to csv in command line? ( not save as)
I am trying to automate a system which needs the files in csv format. Is there any way to convert excel to csv in command line, instead of the usual 'save as'? PS: If you know any UNIX utilities too, please mention. F1, No way I can think of from the command line. You could write an Excel macro that controls the whole process. Open a file, save as csv, close, next file, loop. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "F1" <F1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B67ACCB6-CC54-4B5E-...

Writing Text File with code UTF-8
Hello Does somebody know how to write a Text File with code UTF-8 from Dexterity? I know that are 3 functions to write text files: TextFile_Writeline() TextFile_WriteDOS() TextFile_WriteText() But there is not therein a parameter to achieve text file be written with code UTF-8. I=92ll appreciate your guide. Best regards. ------=_NextPart_0001_A41C49B3 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Dexterity does not support double byte or unicode. You might need to use COM or win32 dll calls to get the OS to write the file for you. The difference between WriteLine and WriteDOS i...

Convert Excel
How do I convert a database in Excel into Access? Thanks Hi Sue, It depends what you mean by "database". Usually it's fairly simple to move the data from Excel worksheets to Access tables, but anything else - searching, sorting, reporting, validation... - has to be re-created using Access's tools. In general, start by creating a new Access database, then import the data from the Excel workbook. Often, an Excel "database" benefits from being split into two or more related tables in Access; see "About designing a database" in Help - and there's a Ta...

Where can I download this type of db example?
Hi, I'm working in Access 2003. Where can I download a (free) Access database example that shows how to implement forms and queries for tables that break down many-to-many relationships with a link table? I understand normalization and I believe my structure is 3rd order normalized. I need to figure out how to input data into the tables and have them linked together automatically by a query (or, if necessary, VB code). In other words, a database that has tblParents (1->oo) tblParent_Child_LINK (1->oo) tblChildren where (1->oo) means One-to-many, if it wasn't c...

mailto syntax for text to display
I am successfully using the following: - Private Sub lblFeedback_Click() Link = "mailto:user@domain.com?subject=Subject" On Error GoTo NoCanDo ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:=Link, NewWindow:=True Exit Sub NoCanDo: MsgBox "Cannot open " & Link End Sub Is it possible to hide the email address and put e.g. "ADMIN" with something similar to the text to display used in the Outlook address book? If you are actually using Outlook, then you should be able to put the display name in for existing contacts. You can als...