hiding specific columns

how do i stop certain people viewing specified columns in excel and are
viewable only via a password
0
JoeBlack (13)

Good morning Joe Black

You could protect that fairly easily by using Tools > Protection >
Worksheet Protection.  It will keep out all users and will require a
password.

Now the bad news.  It's not very secure at all and anyone who finds
newsgroups like this can find code listings and sites that show the
code that would be required to remove the password.  The bottom line -
it can be used to prevant accidental change or erasure and will keep
out some users, but if you want to keep something secret, don't store
it in Excel.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18932

thanks Dominic. i am aware of the password crackers. but with the protection
method that you told me, aren't the cells still viewable? is it possible to
hide the cells when protected?

thank you for you input so far

"dominicb" wrote:

> Good morning Joe Black
>
> You could protect that fairly easily by using Tools > Protection >
> Worksheet Protection.  It will keep out all users and will require a
> password.
>
> Now the bad news.  It's not very secure at all and anyone who finds
> newsgroups like this can find code listings and sites that show the
> code that would be required to remove the password.  The bottom line -
> it can be used to prevant accidental change or erasure and will keep
> out some users, but if you want to keep something secret, don't store
> it in Excel.
>
> HTH
>
> DominicB
>

> --
> dominicb
> dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18932
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=469810

0
JoeBlack (13)
9/22/2005 8:49:03 PM
Hi Joe Black

Ahhhh!  I thinkI see what you mean now.  I thought you wanted to hid
columns, but you mean cells.

Not sure if there's an easier way but if you select the cells you wan
to hide the content of and press ctrl + 1, protection and select th
"Hidden" box.  Don't invoke the protection yet, but once set this wil
stop the cell contents being visible in the formula bar at the top o
the screen.  The contents will still be visible in the cell, so go t
the Number tab and select the Custom format option and set up a custo
format of ;;;  All cells with this format will be rendered invisible.
You can now set the protection.

Obviously to view the cells a user has to do these steps in reverse
but there's nothing to stop you setting up a macro to undo this.

HTH

Dominic

--
dominic
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1893
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46981

summing a column according to criteria of two other columns
I am creating a cash flow forecast sheet and trying to add up the project values of a particular service provided in june this year. i am attempting to do this by referring to a sheet called data which has a column of project values (N), a column with the month and year of the project (V) written as 62004 and a column of services (E) of which i want to select those projects where the service was Translation - Standard. By looking at the help for countif by multiple criteria i altered the formula to a sumif. I am using the formula... =SUM(IF((Data!$E$3:$E$2000='Translation - Standard'...

Hiding "0" values in pivot table

Not allowing Alpha Characters in a Numeric Formatted Column
I have a spreadsheet that we provide to vendors where they have to fill in their product data and send it back to us where we import this data into the products database. I have the spreadsheet set up the way I want it and have drop down boxes where applicable for data validation. I have several fields that i only want #'s. Sometimes integers, sometimes there may be a decimal. I set the formats accordingly. HOwever, you can still type the letter A or B or C etc... in there. I only want them to be able to type in #'s. In access I can use a mask. Is there anything similar in Exce...

Hiding formuals in cells question

Refer to specific cell in a range
I would like to have a formula that refers to a specific (offset) cel in a range. For instance, range is three columns and 20 rows, and would like to refer to the cell in the first row and the third column. Should be simple ... Help appreciated -- maybeorno ----------------------------------------------------------------------- maybeornot's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1499 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26614 First time I've tried this, but it seemed to work: =OFFSET(Range1,0,2,1,1) Where - Range...

Drilldown.htm for a specific department & category
I've looked at the drilldown.htm sample, and am afraid it's a bit more complex than I'm used to dealing with. Would it be possible to edit the drilldown.htm page to pull up a specific department and/or category automatically? We'll have our RMS resellers in the office for training next week, but I was hoping to at least have a rough version to show them before then. Thanks for any help, -Chris ...

hide my name

Convert Column Letters to Number
Hi! I'm looking for a function to convert a "large" column letters (up t 10 characters) to it's equivalent in number. e.g. Input=A Output=1 Input=AAA Output=703 Input=EXCEL Output=2,708,874 Any suggestions? Regards -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Here's a VBA function that gives the results you want: Option Explicit Function ColumnToNumber(sText As String) As Variant Dim Bytes() As Byte Dim Letter As Long Dim Multiplier As Double Dim N As Double Dim Total As Double ColumnToNumber = CVErr(xlErrValue) If L...

Hiding and Un-Hiding Data fields

How do I hide gaps in an Excel 2007 chart?

Hiding a worksheet #3

Cannot add columns to custom views
I have a problem that is causing a major handicap. I cannot add any columns to any custom leads view that I create. No matter what, the only column that is displayed is the default key column (name) that is there when the view is created. When I click on add columns, the dialog box that is supposed to list columns that I can add to the view has no columns listed at all. I am logged in as the System Administrator when trying to accomplish this. Also, when I create a filter criteria it is never saved. I save it, but when I go back into it, it is gone. Any help would be GREATLY apprec...

VBA write macro change column with 3 number digits to 4 digits the
-- James Do you mean Sub Macro() Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "0000" End Sub -- Jacob "James C" wrote: > > -- > James Use the white space (here) to record details of your requirements - don't try to put it all in the message header. Pete On Jan 25, 1:51=A0pm, James C <Jam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > -- > James Thanks for your response -- James "Jacob Skaria" wrote: > Do you mean > > Sub Macro() > Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "00...

Hide images when Hiding Rows

how to hide an ActiveX control?

Repeating columns cuts off merged cells
Hi all, I hope you can help because I can't find a solution to this one. I've got a two page spreadsheet (side by side) and I'm trying to repeat columns A & B because their row headings on the left and should only appear when printed (split onto two pages) (as in print setup > columns to repeat at left > $A:$B), ...... but B57:I57 are merged and wrapped (another grief that merged wrapped cells don't auto height, but that's for another day) and so are B58:I58 and B59:I59 (footer things). ...... and when printed, B57:I57, etc. cuts off on the second page and...

Hiding plot Area

Hiding rows with VBA
Hi all, In my sheet called "insertsheet I have this VBA: (thanks to some users of Google groups) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const nMAX As Long = 10 Dim nRows As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False With Me With .Range("B8") If Intersect(Target(1), .Cells) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub nRows = .Value End With .Range(.Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Hidden = True .Range(Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ ...

hiding rows
I have data in cells A7:DK394 which all have 0 in them until totals are added in other worksheets which then pullthrough. At the end of the week I have to Hide all rows from A7 to A394 that still have 0 in them as no totals have been added in other sheets so the customer has not posted with us. is there any way excell can recognise the cells that have no data against them and hide them automatically by pressing a button. or if they all start off hidden unhide as data is entered. Hopefully this makes sense many thanks for any help with this as again its to save me lots of...

Outlook-hiding recipients addresses
How do you send a mailing to a distribution list without exposing their email addresses to the other recipients? Put the DL name in the BCC field and put your own address in the TO field. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > How do you send a mailing to a distribution list without > exposing their email addresses to the other recipients? ...

Hide contacts
I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see them and select to send email. If only 2 users need a Contact, why not have them create it in their Contacts folder? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "MauroR" <MauroR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAC0E2E9-7389-49F0-8736-3B9251DBB274@microsoft.com... >I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see >them > and select to send email. Th...

How do I hide email addresses in outgoing mail
Hint: You post your question in the body of the post, not the Subject. Hint 2: Use the BCC field. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C2A70C-6C94-4688-8BAF-0A50AC9C142D@microsoft.com... > "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C2A70C-6C94-4688-8BAF-0A50AC9C142D@microsoft.com... > PLEASE write your question in the body of the post and NOT just the subject Have a look here: http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm As posted here MANY MANY times - put them in the BCC...

Can I Hide a Field?
I'm wanting to hide a field on a form (products form in this case) for some users but not for other users. Is this possible? For example, can I hide the product cost (wholesale) of an item for the salesperson, but not for the CEO? -- Brandon IT Director Office Equipment & Supplies at http://www.presentationsdirect.com Hi Brandon, You cannot have different formlayouts for different users/Teams at this time... Regards, Michael Randrup "Brandon S." <bsmith@presentationsdirect.nospam.com> wrote in message news:e4pDiMrYDHA.1620@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm ...

Criteria is entered in 2 columns, query is only utilizing one set of criteria
Access 2007 I have a flight column and a date column. There are specific flights for specific dates I want to see data for. The query is returning the right flights, but ALL dates, not limited to the ones I want. If I remove the flight criteria, it limits my dates as desired. What is the deal? WHY are the simplest of tasks made so much more difficult in this release of Office??? Why post twice? Folks volunteer their time here, so if no one responds right away, maybe they're busy or don't know or ... Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaim...

Hide Unhide Hide again
Hello, I'm using Excel 2003. It seems in the older versions, when I hid a column or row, it would put a little "+" tab above the labels. You could easily "click" or "unclick" ("hide" or unhide") the columns or rows. I need to be able to hid these rows or columns, but unhide them for use and then hid them again for ease of use and printing. Thank you. Hiding rows/columns and Grouping/Outline are quite different features. The little + sign occurs when you group (outline) it's not actually hiding rows Its under the DATA > GROUP AND O...