hiding columns, error message says cannot shift objects off sheet

Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message
says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.

WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?

Thanks!

hi,
excel thinks that there is data in column IV. excel by
default cannot shift data off the sheet ie beyound column
IV or below row 65536.
solution. highlight all the column to the right of your
data and hit the delete key. that should fix it.

0
anonymous (74722)
10/5/2004 2:05:55 PM
Hi
try clearing your used range:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"JeannieNewman" <JeannieNewman@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:144368B4-96D2-48A7-8E16-43DB91307F49@microsoft.com...
> Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error
message
> says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.
>
> WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?
>
> Thanks!

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/5/2004 2:08:06 PM
And one more suggestion........

Could be Comments getting in the way.

"Cannot shift objects off sheet" error message when you hide columns in Excel.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211769

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:08:06 +0200, "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de>
wrote:

>Hi
>try clearing your used range:
>http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

0
Gord
10/5/2004 6:10:24 PM
Thank you, I'll give it a shot! Appreciate the help.

JeannieNewman

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

> Hi
> try clearing your used range:
> http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "JeannieNewman" <JeannieNewman@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:144368B4-96D2-48A7-8E16-43DB91307F49@microsoft.com...
> > Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error
> message
> > says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.
> >
> > WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?
> >
> > Thanks!

Thanks for the advice - it seems to be the best suggestion received to date.

Appreciate the assistance!

JeannieNewman

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> hi,
> excel thinks that there is data in column IV. excel by
> default cannot shift data off the sheet ie beyound column
> IV or below row 65536.
> solution. highlight all the column to the right of your
> data and hit the delete key. that should fix it.

Thanks Gord - I'll look back to see if the previous user left any "comments"
that I was not aware of.

Appreciate the help.

JeannieNewman

"JeannieNewman" wrote:

> Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message
> says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.
>
> WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?
>
> Thanks!
I am having the same problem and have tried every solution on this page.  It
still will not let me hide all of the columns I need to hide.  The file in
question uses through column HK and a large amount of columns (around 60)
need to be hidden.  Anyone have an answer?

Thank you!

"JeannieNewman" wrote:

> Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message
> says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.
>
> WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?
>
> Thanks!
0
Elily001 (1)
7/28/2005 7:56:15 PM
The thread has aged off for me, but is this the stuff you tried:

XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769

Remember to look for comments and merged cells.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:56:15 -0700, "Elily00"
<Elily00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am having the same problem and have tried every solution on this page.  It
>still will not let me hide all of the columns I need to hide.  The file in
>question uses through column HK and a large amount of columns (around 60)
>need to be hidden.  Anyone have an answer?
>
>Thank you!
>

>"JeannieNewman" wrote:
>
>> Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message
>> says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.
>>
>> WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?
>>
>> Thanks!

0
Gord
7/28/2005 11:42:30 PM
Dave,
  Thank you. I got rid of my comments (not easy) and that cured it.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> The thread has aged off for me, but is this the stuff you tried:
>
> XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769
>
> Remember to look for comments and merged cells.
>

> Elily00 wrote:
> >
> > I am having the same problem and have tried every solution on this page.  It
> > still will not let me hide all of the columns I need to hide.  The file in
> > question uses through column HK and a large amount of columns (around 60)
> > need to be hidden.  Anyone have an answer?
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > "JeannieNewman" wrote:
> >
> > > Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message
> > > says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'.
> > >
> > > WHat does this mean and how do I work around it?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Just for the next time <bg>.

Edit|goto|Special
Comments

It might help you tab between cells with comments.

--

Dave Peterson
0

summing a column according to criteria of two other columns
I am creating a cash flow forecast sheet and trying to add up the project values of a particular service provided in june this year. i am attempting to do this by referring to a sheet called data which has a column of project values (N), a column with the month and year of the project (V) written as 62004 and a column of services (E) of which i want to select those projects where the service was Translation - Standard. By looking at the help for countif by multiple criteria i altered the formula to a sumif. I am using the formula... =SUM(IF((Data!$E$3:$E$2000='Translation - Standard'...

Hiding "0" values in pivot table

Not allowing Alpha Characters in a Numeric Formatted Column
I have a spreadsheet that we provide to vendors where they have to fill in their product data and send it back to us where we import this data into the products database. I have the spreadsheet set up the way I want it and have drop down boxes where applicable for data validation. I have several fields that i only want #'s. Sometimes integers, sometimes there may be a decimal. I set the formats accordingly. HOwever, you can still type the letter A or B or C etc... in there. I only want them to be able to type in #'s. In access I can use a mask. Is there anything similar in Exce...

Cannot Create File When That File Already Exists Installation Error
Hi, I'm running a test install of MSCRM on a VPC and I'm getting an error message that says Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ConfigureServiceVirtualDirAction failed. Cannot create a file when that file already exists. It gives me the option to Retry, which immediately fails and displays the error again, and to Cancel, which will end the installation process early and show me a log, but the log doesn't say what file it is attempted to create that already exists. The VPC is the latest one (not the one that's coming out right NOW, but the last one). The server is running on S...

To get the same header,footer and sheet titles across multiple sheets of a workbook.
Dear Friends, I want a workbook to have the same header (as some cell value of a sheet in workbook) and similarly same titles (rows and columns titles) in different sheets. I reached to the following code. It worked well for the header (and also footer) but it didn't work for the rows to repeat at top or columns to repeat. It only works for the active sheet. How can i make my work done?? The main problem i think is to make ActiveSheet.PageSetup.PrintTitleRows work across multiple sheets. Please help me. I have the code attached here for yur reference. 'this is the workbook c...

Hiding formuals in cells question

display columns alphabetically
Columns used to display alphabetically left to right. It changed to now displaying numerically left to right. How do I change back to alphabetically? Go to Tools|Options and then in the General tab, uncheck R1C1 reference style. -- NBVC Where there is a will there are many ways. 'The Code Cage' (http://www.thecodecage.com) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ NBVC's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=74 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=136818 Perfect, thanks for easing my f...

Errors
I get the following problems in Outlook 2007 Professional new installation with Windows 7 ultimate O/S - 1) When I try to import a Personal folder from another .pst file of same Outlook 2007 version it gives me an error "The Messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists restart Outlook". This error never goes off even after restart. 2) Trying to add new Outlook data file through Data File Management after selecting type of storage for new outlook data file as Office Outlook Personal Folders file and selecting the specific .pst file it g...

excel error
run excel, error : "This program has performed an ilegal operation, and will be shutdown. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor" what happen ? please help me? regards Sus ...

hide my name

elunknown error
on first look the windows live mail seems like a very nice email application, however the "unknown error " that prevents me from deleting junk and having it disappearor becomming stuck as a permenant outbox item is becomming enough of an agravation that i will soon return to outlook or even thunderbird. I have followed instructions to work offline and configure advanced settings in tools to work around this, but i do not wish to do this daily. Is there a permenant fix for this? thanks "Elijah" <Elijah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Convert Column Letters to Number
Hi! I'm looking for a function to convert a "large" column letters (up t 10 characters) to it's equivalent in number. e.g. Input=A Output=1 Input=AAA Output=703 Input=EXCEL Output=2,708,874 Any suggestions? Regards -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Here's a VBA function that gives the results you want: Option Explicit Function ColumnToNumber(sText As String) As Variant Dim Bytes() As Byte Dim Letter As Long Dim Multiplier As Double Dim N As Double Dim Total As Double ColumnToNumber = CVErr(xlErrValue) If L...

Excel startup bug: VBA Run-time error 76??
Help, please. Yesterday, Excel started giving me error messages whenever I start it up. I uninstalled Office 2000, reinstalled it, and I still get the same error. Here is what happens. MS Visual Basic displays a dialog box that says: Run-time error '76': Path not found When I hit the debug button, it highlights (in yellow) the following line of code: lengthOfFile = Filelen(registryValue) What should I do to fix this annoying problem? Steve Delete the ZZZ. It keeps spam off the server. Start it with a switch "C:\program files\microsoft office\office\excel.exe" /...

Hiding and Un-Hiding Data fields

Command messages for FrameWindow member objects
Dear all, i am working on an SDI application and in that application i need to broadcast a message to all the objects. So i used: SendMessage(WM_COMMAND, ID_SOMEID); // From within the document Object Then i added ON_COMMAND_EX macros in various objects for handling and further passing the message. I realized that MainFrame object was getting the message but a dialog bar object which is a member of MainFrame was not getting this message. I tried a lot but couldnt figure out why dialog bar object is not getting my command message when it is getting other command messages and update UI comma...

How do I hide gaps in an Excel 2007 chart?

Cannot add columns to custom views
I have a problem that is causing a major handicap. I cannot add any columns to any custom leads view that I create. No matter what, the only column that is displayed is the default key column (name) that is there when the view is created. When I click on add columns, the dialog box that is supposed to list columns that I can add to the view has no columns listed at all. I am logged in as the System Administrator when trying to accomplish this. Also, when I create a filter criteria it is never saved. I save it, but when I go back into it, it is gone. Any help would be GREATLY apprec...

Hiding a worksheet #3

PO Printing ERROR
I am facing problum in printing the Purchase order after approval. When i open any PO and try to print it by pressing PRINT button it shows an error like "Run Time Error 13, Type Mismatch" and Quit form RMS Manager Plz any one help me out from this problum. Regards, Naveed ...

Hide images when Hiding Rows

Error while including <occi.h>
Hello all, Actually i am developing an application in c++ to insert data into oracle database and i am facing a problem while running the program after including Oracle c++ call interface header file occi.h.Can anyone help me about the solution of that problem.The error which occered is given below. thank you e:\oracle\ora92\oci\include\occicontrol.h(1132) : error C2995: 'getVector' : template function has already been defined e:\oracle\ora92\oci\include\occicommon.h(425) : see declaration of 'getVector' e:\oracle\ora92\oc...

syncronization error from outlook 2002 & active sync
when attempting to sync my pocket pc w/ outlook 2002 (windows xp-prof), i get two messages from outlook: 1. (microsoft outlook): no profiles have been created. to create a new profile, use the mail icon in the control panel. then i press ok, and i get the following: 2.(microsoft outlook syncronization): sync. cannot be completed because your personal information manager is not running. ensure your pim program is running, and try to syncronyze again. if your pim program is running, restart your desktop computer. i had created those profiles, but the problem persist. please advice. t...

VBA write macro change column with 3 number digits to 4 digits the
-- James Do you mean Sub Macro() Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "0000" End Sub -- Jacob "James C" wrote: > > -- > James Use the white space (here) to record details of your requirements - don't try to put it all in the message header. Pete On Jan 25, 1:51=A0pm, James C <Jam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > -- > James Thanks for your response -- James "Jacob Skaria" wrote: > Do you mean > > Sub Macro() > Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "00...

Consecutive ma-open calls are failing with error 3051
Hello. I'm having a problem with exchange 5.5sp3 on windows NT 4.0sp6 TSE (I know, pretty old environment. The upgrade is in my todo list). I will try to explain the issue. Sometimes I get this message because space left on disk is less than 10MB: "The MTA is terminating because the disk where MTADATA is located has less than 10MB of space, or an error occurred while trying to check for free space on the disk. If disk space is low, free up some disk space and restart the MTA. NT Error code returned: 0 (non-zero indicates an error while checking for free space) [BASE IL TIMER 3] (16)&...

Need to display an error message when a duplicate object is clicked.
Hi all, I'm new to Access and I'm creating a simple IT Inventory database. My first form just has details on the device, and I want to be able to have the users select an IP address from a dropdown list. I have the list and the dropdown working flawlessly, but in my table I selected No Duplicates, so that no one IP address can be used twice. What I'd like to do, is that if the DB detects a duplicate, to pop up a dialog box stating that the IP address is already in use and to please select a valid IP address. By default, there is an error that pops up when you try to save the rec...