Hiding Columns #7

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I hope someone can help me.
I have a workbook to which I add a sheet every pay period. Actually, I
copy the sheet from the previous week and make a new, additional sheet
at the end of the workbook.
I use these sheets for batching the current payroll information and
link past columns to new. I do not remove any old info from the new
copied sheet, but I add 10 new columns to each sheet each time I copy.
I tell you all of this in case it helps with my problem.
My new sheet will not allow me to hide the columns I don't need to see.

The Error message is "CANNOT SHIFT OBJECTS OFF SHEET".
I have been hiding columns for years and years and have never gotten
any error message, much less on like this. Can anyone out there help??
Thanks so much.

--
belony
belony's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24311

Good evening Belony

It sounds as though you have an object (a button, an autoshape, a
textbox etc) at the end of the worksheet, and Excel will not let this
item be "bumped off" the end of the sheet.  Go to column IV and scroll
down looking for anything unusual.  Delete it and your problem should
be solved.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18932

Do you have any objects such as cell comments?

See this KB article for assistance.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211769

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:13:14 -0500, belony
<belony.1qn08c_1118787361.1707@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I am new to this forum. I hope someone can help me.
>I have a workbook to which I add a sheet every pay period. Actually, I
>copy the sheet from the previous week and make a new, additional sheet
>at the end of the workbook.
>I use these sheets for batching the current payroll information and
>link past columns to new. I do not remove any old info from the new
>copied sheet, but I add 10 new columns to each sheet each time I copy.
>I tell you all of this in case it helps with my problem.
>My new sheet will not allow me to hide the columns I don't need to see.
>
>The Error message is "CANNOT SHIFT OBJECTS OFF SHEET".
>I have been hiding columns for years and years and have never gotten
>any error message, much less on like this. Can anyone out there help??
>Thanks so much.

0
Gord
6/14/2005 10:46:57 PM
You get this if the sheet is full, ie either the columns reach the last one
which is IV or the rows go to 65536 which is the last row available in
Excel. The only way I think is to archive some of the data and delete it
from your sheet.
That said, there may not be data in all these cells but XL may think there
is. Try Ctrl End to find the actual last column and row then if the last
column were say GP, in the name box type GQ:IV and delete (not Clear
Contents) all those rows. Similarly if the last row is 16554, in the name
box enter 16555:65536 and delete all those rows. Save, Exit and reopen and
that should do it.
Do this on a copy of your file to avoid any possible corruption of the
original,
Regards,
Alan.
Regards,
Alan.
"belony" <belony.1qn08c_1118787361.1707@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:belony.1qn08c_1118787361.1707@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Hi,
> I am new to this forum. I hope someone can help me.
> I have a workbook to which I add a sheet every pay period. Actually, I
> copy the sheet from the previous week and make a new, additional sheet
> at the end of the workbook.
> I use these sheets for batching the current payroll information and
> link past columns to new. I do not remove any old info from the new
> copied sheet, but I add 10 new columns to each sheet each time I copy.
> I tell you all of this in case it helps with my problem.
> My new sheet will not allow me to hide the columns I don't need to see.
>
> The Error message is "CANNOT SHIFT OBJECTS OFF SHEET".
> I have been hiding columns for years and years and have never gotten
> any error message, much less on like this. Can anyone out there help??
> Thanks so much.
>

> --
> belony
> belony's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24311
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=379174

0
alan111 (581)
6/14/2005 10:48:56 PM
Thank you, Thank You.

You are all awesome.I got my spreadsheet to work. This is a great
resource.
I hope I will be able to return the favor very soon.

Again Thanks so much to you all.

Belony

--
belony
belony's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24311
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=379174

summing a column according to criteria of two other columns
I am creating a cash flow forecast sheet and trying to add up the project values of a particular service provided in june this year. i am attempting to do this by referring to a sheet called data which has a column of project values (N), a column with the month and year of the project (V) written as 62004 and a column of services (E) of which i want to select those projects where the service was Translation - Standard. By looking at the help for countif by multiple criteria i altered the formula to a sumif. I am using the formula... =SUM(IF((Data!$E$3:$E$2000='Translation - Standard'...

Hiding "0" values in pivot table

Not allowing Alpha Characters in a Numeric Formatted Column
I have a spreadsheet that we provide to vendors where they have to fill in their product data and send it back to us where we import this data into the products database. I have the spreadsheet set up the way I want it and have drop down boxes where applicable for data validation. I have several fields that i only want #'s. Sometimes integers, sometimes there may be a decimal. I set the formats accordingly. HOwever, you can still type the letter A or B or C etc... in there. I only want them to be able to type in #'s. In access I can use a mask. Is there anything similar in Exce...

Hiding formuals in cells question

display columns alphabetically
Columns used to display alphabetically left to right. It changed to now displaying numerically left to right. How do I change back to alphabetically? Go to Tools|Options and then in the General tab, uncheck R1C1 reference style. -- NBVC Where there is a will there are many ways. 'The Code Cage' (http://www.thecodecage.com) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ NBVC's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=74 View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=136818 Perfect, thanks for easing my f...

Errors
I get the following problems in Outlook 2007 Professional new installation with Windows 7 ultimate O/S - 1) When I try to import a Personal folder from another .pst file of same Outlook 2007 version it gives me an error "The Messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists restart Outlook". This error never goes off even after restart. 2) Trying to add new Outlook data file through Data File Management after selecting type of storage for new outlook data file as Office Outlook Personal Folders file and selecting the specific .pst file it g...

can't open attachments #7
I get the same message all the time with all my mail & attachment: OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail. First one today! Tools | Options | Security This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x microsoft.public.windows.inete...

hide my name

mailbox permissions #7
How do I give domain administrators full mailbox rights to every mailbox without having to go through every one and add them in on the mailbox rights tab?? Sorry I forgot to add this is on a 2003 exchange box "T" <tracey.ryman@gwc.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23NrXXxTKEHA.892@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > How do I give domain administrators full mailbox rights to every mailbox > without having to go through every one and add them in on the mailbox rights > tab?? > > Start here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292509&Product=exch2k ...

Convert Column Letters to Number
Hi! I'm looking for a function to convert a "large" column letters (up t 10 characters) to it's equivalent in number. e.g. Input=A Output=1 Input=AAA Output=703 Input=EXCEL Output=2,708,874 Any suggestions? Regards -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Here's a VBA function that gives the results you want: Option Explicit Function ColumnToNumber(sText As String) As Variant Dim Bytes() As Byte Dim Letter As Long Dim Multiplier As Double Dim N As Double Dim Total As Double ColumnToNumber = CVErr(xlErrValue) If L...

Hiding and Un-Hiding Data fields

How do I hide gaps in an Excel 2007 chart?

Hiding a worksheet #3

Cannot add columns to custom views
I have a problem that is causing a major handicap. I cannot add any columns to any custom leads view that I create. No matter what, the only column that is displayed is the default key column (name) that is there when the view is created. When I click on add columns, the dialog box that is supposed to list columns that I can add to the view has no columns listed at all. I am logged in as the System Administrator when trying to accomplish this. Also, when I create a filter criteria it is never saved. I save it, but when I go back into it, it is gone. Any help would be GREATLY apprec...

Autofill #7
I would like to autofill dates in a row which I know how to do but what I need to do is have the same date in 2 cells before progressing on the the next date and so on. For example, I need this : 04/01/06 04/01/06 04/02/06 04/02/06 etc...... Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Put the date in the top cell (say A1). Put the =A1 in the next cell (A2). Put this in A3: =A1+1 put this in A4: =a1+1 Select A3:A4 and copy those cells down. Select the range of cells edit|copy edit|paste special|values (if you don't want the formulas) Mrich wrote: >...

VBA write macro change column with 3 number digits to 4 digits the
-- James Do you mean Sub Macro() Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "0000" End Sub -- Jacob "James C" wrote: > > -- > James Use the white space (here) to record details of your requirements - don't try to put it all in the message header. Pete On Jan 25, 1:51=A0pm, James C <Jam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > -- > James Thanks for your response -- James "Jacob Skaria" wrote: > Do you mean > > Sub Macro() > Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "00...

Hide images when Hiding Rows

Excel 2003 Database Driver Visual FoxPro 7 on Server 2003.
I have Excell 2003 (office 2003 Enterprise Edition) installed on Server 2003. However when I tried to get external data from a database and use the Foxpro ODBC driver, it tells me to go to the microsoft web site to install it, howerver the microsoft web site does not have a driver to install for Server 2003. I had Office 2002 with the same problem, when I try to get external data, the Foxpro driver does not show up. In Control panel/Administrative tools, the ODBC list of drivers does show the FoxPro database, when I try to use it, it tells me to get the driver from the microsoft web ...

Hiding plot Area

Repeating columns cuts off merged cells
Hi all, I hope you can help because I can't find a solution to this one. I've got a two page spreadsheet (side by side) and I'm trying to repeat columns A & B because their row headings on the left and should only appear when printed (split onto two pages) (as in print setup > columns to repeat at left > $A:$B), ...... but B57:I57 are merged and wrapped (another grief that merged wrapped cells don't auto height, but that's for another day) and so are B58:I58 and B59:I59 (footer things). ...... and when printed, B57:I57, etc. cuts off on the second page and...

how to hide an ActiveX control?

Hiding rows with VBA
Hi all, In my sheet called "insertsheet I have this VBA: (thanks to some users of Google groups) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const nMAX As Long = 10 Dim nRows As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False With Me With .Range("B8") If Intersect(Target(1), .Cells) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub nRows = .Value End With .Range(.Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Hidden = True .Range(Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ ...

hiding rows
I have data in cells A7:DK394 which all have 0 in them until totals are added in other worksheets which then pullthrough. At the end of the week I have to Hide all rows from A7 to A394 that still have 0 in them as no totals have been added in other sheets so the customer has not posted with us. is there any way excell can recognise the cells that have no data against them and hide them automatically by pressing a button. or if they all start off hidden unhide as data is entered. Hopefully this makes sense many thanks for any help with this as again its to save me lots of...

Outlook-hiding recipients addresses
How do you send a mailing to a distribution list without exposing their email addresses to the other recipients? Put the DL name in the BCC field and put your own address in the TO field. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > How do you send a mailing to a distribution list without > exposing their email addresses to the other recipients? ...

Hide contacts
I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see them and select to send email. If only 2 users need a Contact, why not have them create it in their Contacts folder? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "MauroR" <MauroR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAC0E2E9-7389-49F0-8736-3B9251DBB274@microsoft.com... >I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see >them > and select to send email. Th...