Hide a Formula

I am creating a spreadsheet that has formulas I do not want people to see.
This spreadsheet has outlines and groups.

How can I hide the formulas without protecting the sheets and still show the
formula bar.

The people I am sending the file to are not Excel literate enough to reset a
macro when they open the file, so it needs to open with no problems.
--
Jeff

Without Protecting the sheet cells - the only idea I can come up with is to
use TWO Sheets.
In the FIRST put your formulas and calculations and make the SECOND Sheet to
be a "reflection" of the FIRST Sheet but as such it will display values only.
In fact - The second sheet linked cells will display only the results and
not the formulas themselves.
Now, you'll need to push [Alt+F11] and hide the FIRST sheet through its
XlSheetVeryHidden property.
To prevent other users - except the file owner - to unhide the FIRST Sheet,
property You need to protect the VBA Project with a password.
Micky

"bhbjk1" wrote:

> I am creating a spreadsheet that has formulas I do not want people to see.
> This spreadsheet has outlines and groups.
>
> How can I hide the formulas without protecting the sheets and still show the
> formula bar.
>
> The people I am sending the file to are not Excel literate enough to reset a
> macro when they open the file, so it needs to open with no problems.
> --
> Jeff
Without sheet protection and/or without VBA I can't think of any way to do
what you want.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 18:03:01 -0800, bhbjk1 <bhbjk1@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am creating a spreadsheet that has formulas I do not want people to see.
>This spreadsheet has outlines and groups.
>
>How can I hide the formulas without protecting the sheets and still show the
>formula bar.
>
>The people I am sending the file to are not Excel literate enough to reset a
>macro when they open the file, so it needs to open with no problems.

0
Gord
12/9/2009 4:33:49 PM
Name the formula and use the name. For example, use the name "formula" with
a refers to of =VLOOKUP(...)" (whatever your real formula is), then simply
type =formula in the cell. Be careful of relative/absolute references.
Granted, a knowledgeable user can look at the defined names, but in my
experience there aren't that many really knowledgeable average Excel users!
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

"bhbjk1" <bhbjk1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am creating a spreadsheet that has formulas I do not want people to see.
> This spreadsheet has outlines and groups.
>
> How can I hide the formulas without protecting the sheets and still show
> the
> formula bar.
>
> The people I am sending the file to are not Excel literate enough to reset
> macro when they open the file, so it needs to open with no problems.
> --
> Jeff

0
Bob

Jump to formula destination ? ? ?
Hi All If I have a very large workbook, and say on Sheet1 a formula "=Sheet12!a1" is there a shortcut way to jump directly to sheet 12 cell A1 ? ? ? Thanks in Advance Dodge It depends on what your definition of "jump" is. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Dodge Brown" <dodge_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3fcf8ee1$0$25664$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com... > Hi All > > > If I have a very large workbook, and say on Sheet1 a formula "=Sheet12!a1" > is there a shortcut way to jump directly to sheet 12 ...

Sharepoint services, Infopath and Excel formulas
I created a form in Infopath and pulled the information into a list in Sharepoint. when i import becasue of the design of the form I am getting multiple reponses which are being stored in one cell. I need to count the number of responses. e.g. Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Not applicable Yes Not applicable Row 1 Yes No Not applicable No Not applicable Not applicable Not applicable...

Hiding "0" values in pivot table

Check Book Formula
I'm a real green horn when it comes to excel, I've searched the data base and am pretty baffled by some of the questions...Wow....anyways, I feel kind of silly asking as this is probably very simple. I just don't know how i would go about setting up a check book style spreadsheet. The last three colums would be Income, Expense, Balance. I understand how to add or subtract, what I don't know is how to I tell the spreadsheet to SUBTRACT the expense to get the Balance or and ADD the income to get the balance in each row. Do I have to type a formula in each row to do ...

Hiding formuals in cells question

Using IF in formula
I am trying to build up a YTD value in a cell on a worksheet named YTD. The YTD value is the sum of cell ref "A17" on each worksheet named JAN, FEB, MAR...etc upto DEC. The value of "A17" is only taken into consideration if the value of cell "R27" on the respective worksheets is greater than "0". eg. if cell "R27" is value 0 on w/sheet MAR then the YTD value is the sum of cells "A17" on w/sheets JAN and FEB, if the value is 0 on w/sheet APR then the YTD is the sum of cells "A17" on w/sheets JAN, FEB and MAR...and...

hide my name

Need Help with a Formula #4
I am new to excel. Trying to set up a formula for the following 2 examples 1. Semi Annual payments of $440,000 for 20 years, or 8Million dollars now, what is the interest rate that was used to arrive at the 8 million dollars 2. Semi annual payments of $440,000 for 20 years, an interest rate of 7%, how much should the payment be in a lump sum today? Thank you for your help, if you could provide me the formula so that I can play around with various amounts or interest rates that would be helpful. =RATE(40,-440000,0,8000000)*2 = -9.3945% =PV(0.07/2,40,440000) = ($9,396,231.83...

Hiding and Un-Hiding Data fields

How do I hide gaps in an Excel 2007 chart?

Hiding a worksheet #3

Sumif where source values are assigned by "if" formula
I am trying to sum the values in a column (Q20:Q300) based on an assigned designation in another column (N20:N300). The destination cell is Q11. The criteria value is found in cell N11. Values in cells Q20:Q300 are assigned via an "if" condition dependent on a value assigned in column "O". When I place the placed the following formula in my destination cell (Q11), it returned a value of "0" which is incorrect. My assumption is that the formula is recognizing the numeric value in column Q as text and is not adding properly. formula in Q11 ... =sumif(N20...

Hide images when Hiding Rows

how to hide an ActiveX control?

Formula for Worsheet Name
What is the formula that will give the worksheet namein cell A1 ? Thanks in advance -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24783 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494559 See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0002.html -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Paul Sheppard" <Paul.Sheppard.20ad1y_1134993603.7414@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in messa...

Hiding plot Area

FINANCE Formula Help
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet function to get the following answers but am having little luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a formula to get the required answers? Q: Consider a bond with a face value of $1,000. The coupon payment is made semi-annually and the yield to maturity is 12% (effective annual yield). How much would you pay for the bond if: A: The coupon rate is 8% and the time to maturity is 20 years? B: The coupon rate is 10% and the time to maturity is 15 years? Any help would be appreciated... JCH Look in help for the PRICE function. Only trick is ...

Record time by formula
hi, i want to create excel sheet wherein time has to be recorded multiple time. Now() formula does not help and i don't want to use macro. Pls Suggest ???????????????????? -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "karim" <karim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1681BB59-DBF8-475C-B577-BE76CF17E9E5@microsoft.com... > hi, > > i want to create excel sheet wherein time has to be recorded multiple > time. > Now() formula does not help and i don't want to use macro. > Pls Suggest i want to record start time and e...

Hiding rows with VBA
Hi all, In my sheet called "insertsheet I have this VBA: (thanks to some users of Google groups) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const nMAX As Long = 10 Dim nRows As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False With Me With .Range("B8") If Intersect(Target(1), .Cells) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub nRows = .Value End With .Range(.Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Hidden = True .Range(Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ ...

hiding rows
I have data in cells A7:DK394 which all have 0 in them until totals are added in other worksheets which then pullthrough. At the end of the week I have to Hide all rows from A7 to A394 that still have 0 in them as no totals have been added in other sheets so the customer has not posted with us. is there any way excell can recognise the cells that have no data against them and hide them automatically by pressing a button. or if they all start off hidden unhide as data is entered. Hopefully this makes sense many thanks for any help with this as again its to save me lots of...

formula help for making -/+ in a cell
I would like to do this. For E4 cell I want it to read - or + depending on the value of F4. If F4 is greater than 0 then +, if F4 is less than 0 then -. Then I will apply it to the rest of the row. Thanks in advance. Hi Vile =IF(F4>0,"+",IF(F4<0,"-","")) copy down HTH Frank Vile wrote: > I would like to do this. > > For E4 cell I want it to read - or + depending on the value of F4. If > F4 is greater than 0 then +, if F4 is less than 0 then -. Then I will > apply it to the rest of the row. > > Thanks in advance. Thanks alot wor...

How do i set up a formula?
I need a formula to fill x amount of cells with a number or colour as i enter x number into a spreadcheet. what i am trying to do is a line rota. where i put, for example, between 1200hrs & 1300 i need 6 people on, so therefore would like 6 cells in a colum highlighted., if i change the 6 to a 3 then the highlighted cells would reduce to only 3. I'm using excel 2003 many thanks and plse help!! Try this: For example, Cell B2 contains the number of people you need, and you want the rows below to fill in according to the amount of people you need: Select Cell B3, then on the ...

Outlook-hiding recipients addresses
How do you send a mailing to a distribution list without exposing their email addresses to the other recipients? Put the DL name in the BCC field and put your own address in the TO field. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > How do you send a mailing to a distribution list without > exposing their email addresses to the other recipients? ...

Hide contacts
I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see them and select to send email. If only 2 users need a Contact, why not have them create it in their Contacts folder? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "MauroR" <MauroR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAC0E2E9-7389-49F0-8736-3B9251DBB274@microsoft.com... >I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see >them > and select to send email. Th...

How do I hide email addresses in outgoing mail
Hint: You post your question in the body of the post, not the Subject. Hint 2: Use the BCC field. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C2A70C-6C94-4688-8BAF-0A50AC9C142D@microsoft.com... > "Dennis" <Dennis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2C2A70C-6C94-4688-8BAF-0A50AC9C142D@microsoft.com... > PLEASE write your question in the body of the post and NOT just the subject Have a look here: http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm As posted here MANY MANY times - put them in the BCC...