hidden sheets

Is it possible to hide the worksheets within a workbook, and still have the
workbook calculate formulas based off of the hidden worksheets.  The reason i
ask is i have alot of information within the spreadsheet that i do not really
need at this time, and i would like to hide it so that it makes it easier to
navigate through the workbook.

Hi,

Yes you can still read values from hidden sheets and use those values in a
calculation and you can write to hidden sheets with code.

Mike

"Soccerboy83" wrote:

> Is it possible to hide the worksheets within a workbook, and still have the
> workbook calculate formulas based off of the hidden worksheets.  The reason i
> ask is i have alot of information within the spreadsheet that i do not really
> need at this time, and i would like to hide it so that it makes it easier to
> navigate through the workbook.
How can i accomplish this?

"Mike H" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes you can still read values from hidden sheets and use those values in a
> calculation and you can write to hidden sheets with code.
>
> Mike
>
> "Soccerboy83" wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to hide the worksheets within a workbook, and still have the
> > workbook calculate formulas based off of the hidden worksheets.  The reason i
> > ask is i have alot of information within the spreadsheet that i do not really
> > need at this time, and i would like to hide it so that it makes it easier to
> > navigate through the workbook.
If you're writing a macro, there are not many things that you do that need to
have the sheet visible.

Dim myCell as range
set mycell = worksheets("hidden").range("A1")

if isnumeric(mycell.value) then
  mycell.value = mycell.value + 1
end if

This kind of code won't care.

And if you're doing some calculations, you can use a formula like:

=hidden!a1+hidden!c9

And the formula won't care if that sheet named Hidden is visible or not.

And in xl2003 menus, I can hide a sheet by:
Selecting the sheet(s)
Format|sheet|Hide

And unhide them the same way
format|sheet|unhide
(a single sheet at a time)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Francis Hayes
www.TheExcelAddict.com
0
Excel
11/25/2009 5:47:24 PM
In Sheet1 cell A1 enter a value say 10,,and from Sheet2 try a formula
=Sheet1!A1+A1 after hidding sheet1. The formula should add the value of
hidden sheet A1 + sheet2 A1....Is this what you mean?

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Soccerboy83" wrote:

> How can i accomplish this?
>
> "Mike H" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Yes you can still read values from hidden sheets and use those values in a
> > calculation and you can write to hidden sheets with code.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Soccerboy83" wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to hide the worksheets within a workbook, and still have the
> > > workbook calculate formulas based off of the hidden worksheets.  The reason i
> > > ask is i have alot of information within the spreadsheet that i do not really
> > > need at this time, and i would like to hide it so that it makes it easier to
> > > navigate through the workbook.

How to create a hidden message in a folder
Hi there, the application that I am working with requires a hidden message (of any class) to be inside a folder (corporate archive) on the root of the mailbox so that it can identify the specific folder and then archive its contents. I understand that I need to create this hidden message in the Associated Contents Table but i dont know how. Can someone please point me the correct way? is it done on the outlook client? on the exchange server? I appreciate any help Regards Davide You cannot create a hidden message manually. You must use code. Perhaps = the easiest method is to use CDO 1...

Whole sheet moves with arrow
My brother's having problems with Excel (Windows) - he has a couple of spreadsheets he's developed which suddenly won't allow him to change cells using the arrows - the whole sheet moves, and the same cell stays selected. Any idea what he might have done to cause this? Thanks - Gene Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services ---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** ---------------------------------------------------------- http://www.usenet.com Sound like the Scroll ...

hidden sheets
Is it possible to hide the worksheets within a workbook, and still have the workbook calculate formulas based off of the hidden worksheets. The reason i ask is i have alot of information within the spreadsheet that i do not really need at this time, and i would like to hide it so that it makes it easier to navigate through the workbook. Hi, Yes you can still read values from hidden sheets and use those values in a calculation and you can write to hidden sheets with code. Mike "Soccerboy83" wrote: > Is it possible to hide the worksheets within a workbook, a...

Duplicate Half Sheet Reports On Other Half Of Sheet
Hi, I am new to posting anything to the group but have often read and found things very useful. I have a report that prints on half of an 8.5x11 sheet in landscape. I am looking for a way for that report to print the second record on the other half of the sheet if there is another record but still only print the single half if there is only the one record to print. Can this be done? Thanks for your help. Duffy On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:38:41 -0400, "Vianet News" <noreply@noreply.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I am new to posting anything to the group but have often read...

Exchange 5,5 hosted mailboxes cannot be moved if hidden from the address book
Hi all, I have found that when I try to move a mailbox from an exchange 5.5 server using either the AD Users and Computers snapin or the Exchange system manager then it fails IF the mailbox is hidden from the address book. This only happens when the original server is an ex 5.5 box - all works ok if just moving mailboxes between 2003 servers. Anyone experienced the same and found a solution? Thanks, Chris. ...

How do I print only certain info on my excell sheet IE: no SS# or.
Please write your question in the *body* of the message. ...

Function to add name of Sheet to a Column?
I am preparing to merge sheets in a workbook, before I do I need to find a way to pull the sheet name into ColumnX so once merged I will retain the categorization. Is there a simple formula I can paste/fill-down into a column to do this? Thanks in advance =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255) Success, click yes. -- Wag more, bark less "msnyc07" wrote: > I am preparing to merge sheets in a workbook, before I do I need to find a > way to pull the sheet name into ColumnX so once merged I will retain the ...

How to I set up a sheet to print colums/rows on every page in exce
I have a spreadsheet in excel and want several rows and columns to print on every page. It will display by freezing panes but I need it to print that way also. see http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/freeze.htm file, page setup, sheets, Rows to Print at top: $1:$2 columns to print at left: $A:$A --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Michelle" <Michelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Custom Views + hidden columns does seem to work
Hi there, I was hoping you could help with some custom views. I've figured out how to create custom views just fine and have created 6 of them. What I wanted to do next was create an identifier on the spreadsheet that would tell the user which view is currently being used (for both viewing and printing). I tried adding 6 rows at the top of the spreadsheet with the name of each view in one row. I would then hide 5 rows and keep row with the view I want identified visable. Then I would save the view. This works fine if I am only hidding and unhidding rows and columns. ...

My Outlook 2000 file is hidden
I have actively used a folder to put emails in. A couple of days ago it decided to stop working and now says 'Unable to display folder. Operation failed.' I can search my emails and still have access to the files but I need to look into the folder. What happened? What do I need to do in order to have the folder accessible? Ans <Ans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have actively used a folder to put emails in. A couple of days ago > it decided to stop working and now says 'Unable to display folder. > Operation failed.' I can search my emails and still h...

sheet protection #2
agh, I protected a sheet on my xls when I set it up 2 years ago and have now forgotten the password. Is there anyway of unlocking it for formating ? David ah, sorry just remembered it. thanks anyway dc "David Cleland" <Davidcleland@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OI8JZZotEHA.2520@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > agh, > > I protected a sheet on my xls when I set it up 2 years ago and have now > forgotten the password. Is there anyway of unlocking it for formating ? > > David > ...

Reference another sheet...
I want to have a validation drop dpown on sheet 1 and have the data for the validation on sheet2...How? Thanks Bill Dear Bill, The other-sheet-data should have a name: - select you cells - click in the Name box (Formula bar left, where you see A1) - type a clear name - select your validation range - Data-Validation-tab Settings - Allow: select List - Source: press <F3> and select your name Hope that will do. Frans "Wild Bill" <spamanfire@cox.net> wrote in message news:5hCFd.21618$ql2.8249@okepread04... > I want to have a validation drop dpown on sheet 1 an...

Consolidate 120 pgs of individual labels into 4 sheets of 30 ?
Somehow my 120 different labels will only print 1 name per page of 30 labels. How can I merge them to print 30 different names on each label sheet? Are they actually printing one name or are you doing a Print Preview? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Bonny" <Bonny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30836EAA-5866-43F3-806E-BF98EF5EF880@microsoft.com... > Somehow my 120 different labels will only print 1 name per page of 30 > labels. > How can I merge them to print 30 different names on each label sheet? Do you have only one label o...

Copying Data Without Hidden Values
Please excuse a dumb question. I'm sure the answer is buried in the help files somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm running Excel2002. I have a long column of data with many hidden rows. I need to copy this column for a paste operation, but I want to include only the active, visible fields. Every copy process I've tried ends up pasting the hidden rows also. How do I exclude the hidden rows from the copy process? Thanks, OC Oscar, Select the column, then hit F5, click on Special, select Visible Cells Only, OK, then Copy and Paste. HTH, Nikos "Oscar" <oc@sc.rrno...

Get totals from other sheet
While on SHEET 2 I would like a macro that would check the last entry in any given column on sheet one.Thanks A small clarification: the last entry on any col could be a date or a number Thanks "pcor" wrote: > While on SHEET 2 I would like a macro that would check the last entry in any > given column on sheet one.Thanks ...

saving excel with multiple sheets, but won't save to proper sheet
I have a shared worksheet in Excel that several people save to throughout the day. It has several sheets in it and just in the past couple of days, when people save, they either lose their changes, or the information is saved to a blank sheet that has not been used yet. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what is the solution. ...

More than one row of Sheet names?
Is there any way to view more than one row of sheet tabs? Similar to how you can move the start menu to increase the amount of rows. I have a lot of sheet name tabs and I would like to view more than a couple at a time. Thanks! AFAIK, no -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Sam Weber" <sam@hostradius.com> wrote in message news:6b6101c475a2$7f3380d0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to view more than one row of sheet tabs? > Similar to how you can move the start menu to increase > the amount of rows. I have a lot of sheet name tabs and I > wo...

Protect Sheet after an entry.
I have created a macro that allows users to enter specific info at the beginning with a form. When they click on OK, the sheet is protected but a specific range of cells is unlocked so that they can paste specific data from another program. I want the entire sheet to become protected (or to lock the cells again) as soon as the user pastes this values to a cell. How can I do this? Thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ In a Worksheet_Change event you c...

Hidden Rows
Hi there, Thank you in advance for any help. I have a worksheet with the top 9 rows hidden. I can't seem to get them to unhide. I've checked the help file and tried the suggestion there Edit > Go To > A1 then Format > Row > Unhide but it doesn't seem to work. I still can't see those top 9 rows. Any other suggestions I can try? Thanks, KD Hi KD! Try Data > Filter Remove check from AutoFilter -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au No check by Autofilter, but I tried checking it then unchecking it just...

A 'Hidden' Hidden Folder
Firstly I apologise for the long story but I feel you may understand more with the whole picture... I have recently built up 5 XP desktops using a multi-cast ghost image so all images are the same, also all desktops are completely identical as they are part of the same batch. I have just recently had to stop setting up the users accounts after logging on as the users for the computers as I've come across something I'm now unable to solve. The first users account was setup on the first computer, and worked exactly as it should. The second and third made me step back...

Applying Formulae to a worksheet which are hidden
The problem: I have set up a work sheet with formulae in the following row: Cells E5 to Z5 are populated with formulae, (F5, G5, I5, L5, Q5, V5, Y5, Z5 have Conditional Formatting). The formulae, in some cases, are dependent on the preceding cell. I would like to apply all these formulae to all the rows from row 5 and below. Also, I would like all the formulae to be hidden. So that when new data is entered in rows 6 to X, all you see is the data being entered with the formulaes being hidden. Please can you help, I am new to excel so simplicity is key. Many thanks, You state you...

working out sums over a number of sheets
I use excel for my invoices, the way I do this is to have one template invoice sheet and a file for each business year, within this book I insert the template whenever I add an invoice, what I want to do is have one sheet in each book called total and this sheet adds the overall values for each invoice within that one book, so when my business year is over I have one number of all my earnings for that year on the total sheet. the cell which the total for each invoice is on is F,65. Is there a way of doing this or am I missing something, it seems to me to be a very easy thing to want to do. Th...

Referring to a field of a database of other sheet
Dear All How can one refer in sheet2 to the name of a field of a database placed in sheet1? Thanks in advance, Paul If I understand your question, the answer should be: =Sheet1!A1 (adjust A1 range to your needs) HTH -- AP "Paul Smith" <phhs80@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:1141597411.722483.209810@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > Dear All > > How can one refer in sheet2 to the name of a field of a database placed > in sheet1? > > Thanks in advance, > > Paul > OK, but then why does not the following work fine as an advanced fil...

Help with referenced sheet
Hi all, I am attempting to feed data into a cell on sheet ABC that comes from another sheet that will be created programmatically (call it sheet XYZ). I start by creating the reference with sheet XYZ already existing, so that I can pick the cells I want off of it. I then delete sheet XYZ. My cells on ABC all then become #REF, which is okay with me. I save and close. I then run the program that takes some data, opens my excel file, and (re)creates sheet XYZ and puts the data I want onto it. The problem is that all of my cells on ABC that reference XYZ keep the #REF until I double ...

Hidden Column
Hi Can anyone Help I have a spreadsheet, and on my 3rd worksheet, the first column (A) wa hidden, now I want to show that column, but it just isnt appearing. I have tried, Format > Column > unhide as well as Row > Unhide, Ive also tried Edit > Go To > A1 and it still doesnt appear. Any thoughts? ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements Format > C...