Help with sorting..

Hi guys, first time here, hope someone can help.

I had a sheet that had names entered in column A, going in order of
surname, eg:
John Adams
Simon Allison
James Baker
Tessa Cunningham
etc...

I messed up a sort and then sorted by column A again to get it back in
alphabetical order, forgetting it would sort by the first names! So now
it reads:

James Baker
John Adams
Simon Allison
Tessa Cunningham.

Does anyone know how i can sort it back by the second word in Column
A??

--
johncu
johncu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27908

I'm afraid, you have to create a helper column to reverse the order of first
names and surnames with this formula:
=MID(A1,SEARCH(" ",A1)+1,99)&LEFT(A1,SEARCH(" ",A1)-1)
fill it down as necessary, and sort by this helper column

Take care! this formula works only if there is two words separated by one
space. In a more complicated case you need a more complicated formula!

Regards,
Stefi

„johncu” ezt írta:

> Hi guys, first time here, hope someone can help.
>
> I had a sheet that had names entered in column A, going in order of
> surname, eg:
> John Adams
> Simon Allison
> James Baker
> Tessa Cunningham
> etc...
>
> I messed up a sort and then sorted by column A again to get it back in
> alphabetical order, forgetting it would sort by the first names! So now
> it reads:
>
> James Baker
> John Adams
> Simon Allison
> Tessa Cunningham.
>
> Does anyone know how i can sort it back by the second word in Column
> A??
>

> --
> johncu
> johncu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27908
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474048

0
Stefi (275)
10/7/2005 8:50:04 AM
Highlight the name column and split it into two columns (selecting
data>text to columns). Choose delimited data and select 'space' as the
delimiter.

Sort both columns by surname and then merge the two back together
(Although I'd leave them separate to avoid the same problem).

Garry

--
sevil_gp
sevil_gp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27905

Pivot Table- Column 2 sort
How can I sort a Pivot Table by the 2nd (or any other) column? I've selected a cell and hit the A-Z Z-A Sort button, but it only works on column 1. Thanks! Right click on the column and select Field Settings | Advanced to access the sort options... -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "srpd" wrote: > How can I sort a Pivot Table by the 2nd (or any other) column? I've selected > a cell and hit the A-Z Z-A Sort button, but it only works on column 1. > Thanks! Difficult to answer without knowing the structure of your underlying data and what, exactly...

Conditional formatting help
Hi, I can't figure out the way I should create this conditional formatting. It's probably very simple though. If a cell, let's say J5, is empty for three days, then the background of cell A5 turns red. Any help would be appreciated Thanks Any 72 consecutive hours? Starting when? What if someone entered something then deleted it an hour later? Would that re-start the three day period? You would need some type of event code to watch J5 to reset the counter in that case. I don't think it is "probably very simple" but I may be over-reading this or you have ...

Help with CTabCtrl
Anyone got a link (or something) to some code which shows how to use a CTabCtrl? In essence I'm trying to nest CPropertyPages -- a CPropertySheet with a number of pages, each with a number of pages below it. For some reason I just can't get my mind around how to do this. The "right" way seems to be: CPropertySheet CPropertyPage some displayed data and some CTabCtrls... and so on. But I just can't get how to insert a control into the CTabCtrl... Thanks for any help. "Frank Hickman" wrote > Take a look at the attached sample...it'll...

Need help!
Hello, I need help. I generate charts, using macros, for my company. The macros are a fast tool when you have to do 40-50 charts a project. Well, my company had changed colors to the charts. As a result, I'm responsible updating the macros. Unfortantely, I'm not familiar with visual basic. The person who created the macros left the company. Can you please take a look at the excel files? Hopefully, this makes sense. Any suggestions and solutions are fully welcomed. Thanks in advanced! link: http://www.geocities.com/echenwick/ e-mail: echenwick...@SPAMMEyahoo.com ...

Multi-value paramter syntax...help
How do I write the syntax for a stored procedure that has one parameter but accepts multiple values. I am running a report from reporting services that can pass multiple values or pass all values to the stored procedure stored procedure 1: exec getcolor @color = blue....this runs fine. stored procedure 2: exec getcolors @colors in('red', 'white', 'blue').........bombs code is create procedure getcolors @colors nvarchar (50) as (select * from hrs_by_activity where color in(@colors) ) need help making this work. thanks in advance O...

Help with Business Portal Instalation
Hello, good afternoon group I have a problem, when i'm trying to install the Business Portal, the program checks the requirements shown me that everything is fine, but the button NEXT does not enable me to continue, which may be happening? I need your help, please. Thanks, Yandy ...

Macro Help
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to macros. H I J K 422 11 2.0 1.6 0.40 423 5 4.0 3.5 0.50 424 7 6.0 4.0 2.00 I highlighted this group of numbers in my spread sheet from H422 to K 424, and then I recorded a macro to sort on column K from highest to lowest. When done it looks like this: 7 6.0 4.0 2.00 5 4.0 3.5 0.50 11 2.0 1.6 0.40 I want this macro to work for every group of numbers like this throughout the spread sheet. Not all at once, but one at a time as I need them. So if I go d...

HELP ! Windows Server 2003 SP2 boots indefinitely
Hello, Since the last Microsoft Update (last week) two of my servers Windows server 2003 SP2, where the update was accepted, boot and reboot indefinitely. The other servers Win 2003 which didn't accept the update are running fine. How can I get rid of this last update ? Or can we correct this awful bug? I need your help ! Thanks You can uninstall it from the recovery console. From the recovery console command line navigate to; %SystemRoot%\$NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$\spuninst where xxxxxx is the KB article number you want to uninstall. and execute BATCH spuninst.t...

Need stacked chart help
Hi All, I have a problem with a stacked chart in excel 2000, i have used th search function but could not find a solution. The problem is as follows: I want to create a chart with one stacked bar (consisting of variables). And i also want another stacked bar (consisting of 2 variables). Only the proble is that there is a big difference in the numbers so one hardly shows up. Now i want both bars on different scales. Can somebody help me ? Thanks in advance -- wjvivee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- wjviveen's Profile: http://www.excelforum....

conditional formatting with FORMULA... Please HELP! #2
Hi all, I have price data in rows like this (each price takes up a cell): 5 5.43 6 6.25 6.50 8 15 9.25 9 8.75 8.50 8.50 8.50 8.50 13 I need to show trends via conditional formatting where on 3 or more consecutive days prices fluctuate EQUALLY by 0.25 or more each time, up or down... IE, with the above data, I would want to "flag" let's say, in red fill color, the sequence 6, 6.25, 6.50 as well as the group 9.25, 9, 8.75, 8.50, but NOT the group of 8.50, 8.50, 8.50. I have tried if/and/or statements again and again and come close on simpler tre...

Company Name Sort
Is there any way to sort the list of companies in the User Access Setup window? I forgot to mention that this is a GP 9.0 environment. "GJohnsonTenaska" wrote: > Is there any way to sort the list of companies in the User Access Setup window? Only by initially creating the companies in the desired order. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "GJohnsonTenaska" wrote: > I forgot to mention that this is a GP 9.0 enviro...

Sorting a listview
Hello I'm using a list view on report view mode, but I can get the header buttons to allow sorting. I need them to work similar to the view on windows explorer (all columns should allow sorting. I implemeted a simple Compare function like the one on the msdn documentation MyCompareProc(LPARAM lParam1, LPARAM lParam2, LPARAM lParamSort // lParamSort contains a pointer to the list view control CListCtrl* pListCtrl = (CListCtrl*) lParamSort unsigned short nFlt1 = atoi(pListCtrl->GetItemText((int)lParam1, 0)) unsigned short nFlt2 = atoi(pListCtrl->GetItemText((int)lParam2,...

Help me make a timesheet?
Hi, I want to make a simple spreadsheet to keep track of times when I work from home. I can add and subtract in time units, but what I now want is to add 2 macro buttons which when clicked will insert the current system date and time into the next empty cell in the column (let's start at B2 for ease of explanation, so the second click of hte button will insert into B3, then B4 etc) One button will mark the start of a work session, the other will mark the end. Thanks for any assistance. -- Regards Jon Hi Jon, Are you aware that you can simply select the cell and then Ctrl+Shft+...

Help! Navigation bar disappeared after re-publishing!
I did some modifications on my navigation bar and re-published the entire website. When I reviewed my site, I noticed that the navigation bar was gone. I called Hostmonster who hosts my website. They uninstalled and re-installed the FrontPage Extension twice and renamed the access file, and each time I re-published the site. But to no avail. Does anybody have an idea? I am at my wit's end. Monika If you have a website give us a link to it so we can it and help you Out? "yogalady" <yogalady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B6DDF78...

Excel Help....
I am trying to populate a spreadsheet with multiple information. I have a listing of counties that I want a single cell to identify (maybe a drop down?)in an already populated worksheet. Then I want the cell for "tax" to automatically populate the tax code associated with that county with the county entered. Can anyone help.... Hi use Data - Validation and VLOOKUP. See: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Jen" <Jen@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag n...

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
I have already done the regedit Level1Remove. Most everything works fine. My problem is that when I try to open an attachment that is a .jpg it wants me to save each individual file to disk before I can open it. I receive enormus amounts of jpegs a day and need to scan through them quickly without saving them. PLEASE HELP TO BYPASS THIS PROBLEM!!!!!! ...

Help with InputBox and MsgBox
I want an InputBox and MsgBox to display several lines on text and want to be able to hit carriage-return so that the text reads like a paragraph. I have the following :- Title = "Please Enter Password to LOCK ALL the sheets" MSG1 = ("Enter Password and Select OK") resp1 = InputBox(MSG1, Title) How could I format the above to say have a carriage return after "Enter Password"? -- Thank U and Regards Ann MSG1 = "Enter Password" & vbCr & "and Select OK" vbCr is a "constant" and is the same as Chr(13) which is th...

Help with tax formula for marginal tax rates
I am trying to make a single formula that will calculate a person's taxable income assuming the six different marginal tax rates that range from 10% to 35%, as income increases For a single taxpayer, the marginal tax rates and the associated income amounts are: 10% up to $8,350 15% up to $33,950 25% up to $82,250 28% up to $171,550 33% up to $372,950 35% over $372,950 I am using "IF" statements to test for each marginal tax rate. I began the formula as follows, but it returns a value error. Cell D36 is the taxpayer's income =IF(D36<=8350,D36/...

Help on Queue
Hi, Can someone explain me and help me out about how to get the queue system working? im not getting it... * When i try to send a email to: support@mydomain.com <-- this didnt work out... the email dont get on the queue to assign later on... in the email router i have estabelish a rule for support@mydomain.com to the crm user that have the queue... * When i try to send a email to: support@mydomain.com; myuser@mydomain.com <-- this works .. the mail gets in the user queue and is assigned to my user... * if i try send a email to support@mydomain.com ; anotheruser@mydomain.com th...

Help: Messages Disappear from Inbox Current View is set to Message
Hi: We are using Outlook 2002 SP2 and XP Pro SP1. Messages are disappearing from my inbox. I checked google and MS knowledge base. The current view for my inbox is set to message and not unread messages. The only other twist is that I have two accounts one is a pop3 and the other is imap. These accounts have two separate inboxes in their own folders. Any suggestions, TIA, Mariela I would double check your rules to make sure people are not being added to your junk senders list by accident. Dave >-----Original Message----- >Hi: > >We are using Outlook 2002 SP2 and XP ...

Loan help
I am getting a loan that will be put into my checking account for my use however I want. There is no asset as colateral. I will just be recieving cash. I cannot get Money 2003 to create a loan that deposits money into my account. Do I just have to create a deposit into my checking account? The thing I don't like about that is money treats it as an income with a category when it is really more like a transfer. The budget and net worth features don't work correctly like that. Just create it as a deposit. I know what you mean about it being treated as income, but it is, althoug...

Recipient policy help
Hello, I am trying to create multiple recipient policy's for our company. We have many domain addresses because of mergers, so we want the divisions to retain their smtp name space. The odd thing is I create a custom recipient policy point it to a group i.e. domain1all through the Advanced modification. Well it updates the SMTP domain for all the users within this group but it also did all mailbox enabled objects. Can someone point me in the right direction? Also does it need to be a group that I point it to? Or is there a way to do an OU? Thanks, Jeremey Hi Jeremy, Unfortun...

Attachement Issues
Please help: I am running Outlook 2002. When I send email with attachments the email does not move from my 'Outbox' to my 'Sent Items' folder, causing the email to be sent multiple times. This does not happen with normal emails. My recipients are receiving multiple copies of the same email and I have no idea what the problem is. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Jeremy. Does this still happen when you disable the outgoing virusscan? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed...

Help with Debt Reduction Planner
OK, first, I have to say that getting help from MS is absolutely horrid. This should be MUCH more convenient than it currently is. When I bought this program, I was told I'd have unlimited access to help. Little did I know how hard it would be to find. OK, on to the problem: When I put a debt in the debt reduction planner, it lets me set the payment I want to make every month and I can flip back and forth between when I want to pay it off and how much I want to pay. However, when I go to see the payment schedule, it automatically adds $1,000 to the first monthly payment I h...

help needed with outlook 2000 email
I cannot send or receive email on my outlook 2000 account. have used it for years but now it is caput. error message reads: A TCP/IP error occurred while trying to send data to the server. (Account: ‘pop.charter.net’, SMTP server: ‘smtp.charter.net’, Error Number: 0x800ccc13). Help would be much appreciated. Thansk you. Orlando coalcorona <coalcorona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I cannot send or receive email on my outlook 2000 account. have used > it for years but now it is caput. error message reads: > A TCP/IP error occurred while trying to send data to the...