Help with Formula to organize information / date fields

Hi, I'm hoping you can help me with a problem.  At work I work with a
database of information  ( the database is locked, so I can't just add a
report for the info that I need..)

What I have is a list of information - with names, roles, and years.  What I
would like to do is find an easy way to have the date information in multiple
columns so we don't print off a new line for each person.

Existing Data

Col A             Col B                 Col C

Laura             2006                 Job 1
Laura             2007                 Job 1
Bob                2006                 Job 2
Bob                2006                 Job 1
Bob                2007                 Job 1

Ideally I'd like the data displayed as follows (but with years going up to
2009).

Name                  2006 Job 1        2006 Job 2           2007 Job 1
     2007 Job 2

Laura                         X
Bob                           X                             X

Any suggestions or tips on how to do this?  In my list of data there are
some names repeated up to 30 times, if htat helps.

You may be able to use a pivottable.

Add headers to your data if you don't have them already.

In xl2003 menus:
Select the range (A1:c###)
Data|pivottable
Follow the wizard until you get to a step with Layout on it.
Click that Layout button

Drag ColA header to the row area
Drag ColB header to the Column Area
Drag ColC header to the column area
Drag ColC header to the data area (yep, again)
If it doesn't say Count of ColC, then double click on that icon and change it to
Count.

And finish up the wizard.

Because you have two fields in the column header, you'll see a subtotal for each
field.

If you don't like that, you can hide the ColB subtotals.
Rightclick on any of the 2006 in the column headings and choose field settings.
Change the subtotals to none.

I sometimes just weasel out and add a new field (column D) that combines my two
fields into one:

=B2&"."&c2
(and drag down)

Then add the header in row 1 and use that in the Column area and data area.

--

Dave Peterson
0

If I want X's, I'll copy|paste special|values (so the pivottable is gone and
it's just data).  Then I'll select that range and change the numbers to X's.

LauraM wrote:

> Hi, I'm hoping you can help me with a problem.  At work I work with a
> database of information  ( the database is locked, so I can't just add a
> report for the info that I need..)
>
> What I have is a list of information - with names, roles, and years.  What I
> would like to do is find an easy way to have the date information in multiple
> columns so we don't print off a new line for each person.
>
> Existing Data
>
> Col A             Col B                 Col C
>
> Laura             2006                 Job 1
> Laura             2007                 Job 1
> Bob                2006                 Job 2
> Bob                2006                 Job 1
> Bob                2007                 Job 1
>
> Ideally I'd like the data displayed as follows (but with years going up to
> 2009).
>
> Name                  2006 Job 1        2006 Job 2           2007 Job 1
>      2007 Job 2
>
> Laura                         X
> Bob                           X                             X
>
> Any suggestions or tips on how to do this?  In my list of data there are
> some names repeated up to 30 times, if htat helps.

--

Dave Peterson
0
Dave
12/7/2009 6:11:40 PM
Laura -

You can use a pivot table to do this.  Since you want the column headers to
be a concatenation of the year and role, you will want to add a column to
your data that does that (e.g. cell D2 would be   =B2 & " " & C2).  You will
want column headers in your data such as A1 = Name, B1 = Year, C1 = Role, D1
= Year Role.

Then use the pivot table wizard to select the entire range you want,
(including the headers).  Put the 'Name' in the row section, and the 'Year
Role' in both the column section and the data section.  This should default
to Count, which will show you a '1' instead of the 'X' in your example, but
the same data.  You can turn off the totals column and row if you don't want
to see them.

Hope that helps!
--
Daryl S

"LauraM" wrote:

> Hi, I'm hoping you can help me with a problem.  At work I work with a
> database of information  ( the database is locked, so I can't just add a
> report for the info that I need..)
>
> What I have is a list of information - with names, roles, and years.  What I
> would like to do is find an easy way to have the date information in multiple
> columns so we don't print off a new line for each person.
>
> Existing Data
>
> Col A             Col B                 Col C
>
> Laura             2006                 Job 1
> Laura             2007                 Job 1
> Bob                2006                 Job 2
> Bob                2006                 Job 1
> Bob                2007                 Job 1
>

> Ideally I'd like the data displayed as follows (but with years going up to
> 2009).
>
> Name                  2006 Job 1        2006 Job 2           2007 Job 1
>      2007 Job 2
>
> Laura                         X
> Bob                           X                             X
>

> Any suggestions or tips on how to do this?  In my list of data there are
> some names repeated up to 30 times, if htat helps.

If you rearrage your headers slightly like this
       Col A   Col B
1	  2006
2	  Job 1
3    Laura	    X

This formula is B3 then copied over and down should to the trick.

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$3:$A$7=$A3),--(Sheet1!$B$3:$B$7=B$1),--(Sheet1!$C$3:$C$7=B$2))>0,"X","")

Just change the references Sheet1!$A$3:$A$7, etc to whatever your actual
data range is.  The abosolute references are critical to allow you to copy
over and down.

--
If this helps, please remember to click yes.

"LauraM" wrote:

> Hi, I'm hoping you can help me with a problem.  At work I work with a
> database of information  ( the database is locked, so I can't just add a
> report for the info that I need..)
>
> What I have is a list of information - with names, roles, and years.  What I
> would like to do is find an easy way to have the date information in multiple
> columns so we don't print off a new line for each person.
>
> Existing Data
>
> Col A             Col B                 Col C
>
> Laura             2006                 Job 1
> Laura             2007                 Job 1
> Bob                2006                 Job 2
> Bob                2006                 Job 1
> Bob                2007                 Job 1
>

> Ideally I'd like the data displayed as follows (but with years going up to
> 2009).
>
> Name                  2006 Job 1        2006 Job 2           2007 Job 1
>      2007 Job 2
>
> Laura                         X
> Bob                           X                             X
>

> Any suggestions or tips on how to do this?  In my list of data there are
> some names repeated up to 30 times, if htat helps.

sumifs help

hide formula in cells till data is available for calc
I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it until data becomes available to complete the calculation. This way you don't have a series of #value# in the work sheet. The formula contains an absolute reference as well. Thanks, Kiwi A look at your formula would have been nice. =IF(cellref="","",do something) traps for cellref having no data. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:02:01 -0700, kiwi <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it u...

Help !

how can I get a cell to change color by date to indicate expiery t
I'm trying to get the cell color to change from green to yellow to red as a date entered in the cell gets closer to that date plus 12 months or 36 months. ie some task was completed on 1 Jan 08 and will last for 24 months so I want the cell to read green if the date is still good turn yellow a month or 2 before it expires and turn red and clear the date if expired. So if the cell is empty it should show red. But I want to be able to update the date the task was completed ie it was completed again on the 15 Dec 10 before it expired so I want the countdown to expiration to restart f...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

REMOVING GAPS IN DATES
I want to chart some production data. Right now I have a x-y scatter and it plots the dates on x-axis and the data on the y-axis. The boss would like the dates that we did not run production to be cut out of the chart. So, if we ran on 01-01-04 to 01-02-04 and picked up again at 03-01-04, then only the days that we ran would be on the chart and evenly spaced throughout like 01-01-04, 01-02-04, 03-01-04, etc. If anyone would give me a hint it would be very helpful. Thank you. Erick YOu could change your chart type to "line" remove lines and leave markers and select chart optio...

exch 5.5 help

Bypass information
Hi, 'This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated.' Button1: Continue Button2: Edit Links... The above msgbox prevents code from fully executing, what is the code required to accept Button1: Continue and allow the code to continue its execution. Thank you for any help given. Application.DisplayAlerts = False This will ignore the alert message, and continue on its merry way. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "gotroots" wrote: > Hi, > > 'This workbook...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Macro Help

Date Format #8
Dear friends, Everytime I type the Date of 10 Dec. 2005 as 10/12/2005, it converted to 12/10/2005 and it refused to be modified when I try to adjust it from FormatCells. -- Regards, ------------------------------------------------- Mahmoud Metwally Ali Jaicorp IT Manager Office Tel. : (202) 3471495/361 Mob. : (2010) 5195169 Look in the Control Panel>Regional Settings and make sure that you don't have English (United States) selected. -- HTH Bob Phillips "Mahmoud Metwaly" <m.metwally@jaicorp.com.eg> wrote in message news:OvoRcV$dFHA.3012@tk2msftngp...

help me #2

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

Rules Wizard Help

Field by Field Comparison
I have two tables with the exact same column names. I want to do a field by field comparison of the two tables. If one letter or number is off in any field, I would like for the whole record to show up in my query. I can only figure out how to show records which are equal. I would like to show records which are not equal. Is there a query criteria or something where I can perform this? Thanks. Do a UNION query. Create a query that lists all the field in one table. Then open that query in SQL view. At the end of the SQL, delete the semicolon ";". At the...

More help with formula
I need 2 formulas for the following: Problem 1: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th numbers is those columns are 50 or less then I the sum to go in on column; then the sum of numbers between 51 to 100 to go into anothe column. Problem 2: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th individual number 1-100 is used (3 times, 4 times, 5 times, etc.) tota the I need to show the number of times it was used in the columns. For example: If 1 is used 5 times in columns C thru G then the numbe is 5; the same with 2, th...