Help with an Excel formula

Hey,
    wondering if anyone can help me with a formula i need
it to recognise that if the answer is negative it needs to
be red. I think i need an if/then statement but do not
know how??
       Eg say the formula was just simply
        = F15-G15

then i need something to say if this anwer is negative
then highlight red

any help would be great

thanks

Create a custom format.

Right click on the cell, choose Format Cells... On the Number tab, choose
Custom. Try one of the formats with [Red] in it. If you like it, great. If
not, you can create your own format. The rule is anything appearing before
the semi-colon applies to positive numbers; after it applies to negative
numbers.

--
Regards,
Fred

"Jack Timmins" <Jack.Timmins@fostersgroup.com> wrote in message
> Hey,
>     wondering if anyone can help me with a formula i need
> it to recognise that if the answer is negative it needs to
> be red. I think i need an if/then statement but do not
> know how??
>        Eg say the formula was just simply
>         = F15-G15
>
> then i need something to say if this anwer is negative
> then highlight red
>
> any help would be great
>
> thanks

0
fredsmith99 (155)

hide formula in cells till data is available for calc
I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it until data becomes available to complete the calculation. This way you don't have a series of #value# in the work sheet. The formula contains an absolute reference as well. Thanks, Kiwi A look at your formula would have been nice. =IF(cellref="","",do something) traps for cellref having no data. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:02:01 -0700, kiwi <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it u...

sumifs help

Excel sorting #3
Is there a way to sort data by absolute value? I have a list of numbers, both negative and positive and I would like the list to have the highest positive and negative numbers at the top (e.g. -10,000 and +10,000 and the lowest numbers to be at the bottom(e.g -1 & 1). ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Blue, In an empty column, place the formula =ABS(A1) then fill down as far as you need to go. Then sort on this column. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson M...

Help !

Excel 2007 Tables
Hi, I have turned a range of data into a Table, using the new "Insert Table" tool in Excel 2007. Great new feature!! The problem is, when I insert a new row (by tabbing from the last cell in the last row), the formatting for the cell in the first column does not get applied. All of the rest of the cells in that row maintain the formatting from the row above. All of the cells in the first column above the new row have the same formatting - there is no mixing (bold and italics, for example). Any suggestions on why this would be happening? Thanks! Hi Tammy I love to see yo...

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

Excel Macro to delete rows
Hello, I have an excel Sheet in which I have a blank row below the cell which contains "<<<Mem>>>". I vave some random data and multiple such cells. Can I get some help with the excel macros for the same? Harsh Assuming "Mem" is in column E: Sub DeleteRowBelowMem() For i=cells(rows.count,5).end(xlup).row to 1 step -1 if cells(i,5).value="Mem" then rows(i+1).Delete Next End Sub Bob Umlas Excel MVP HTH "Harsh" <cooldreamz83@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1159983014.172239.234480@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... ...

Excel chart to Access report
Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but I'm clutching at straws here.... I have a chart which must be created in Excel because the Access chart interface does not (to my knowledge) permit custom error bars. The problem is that I want then to include the graph in an Access report. I can see how, via automation, I can address the chart from code in the Access report. I just don't know how to actually include it, if you get my meaning. I thought placing an unbound OLE object control in the report would be a good start, but I don't seem to be able to move the chart data into...

How do I resize a complex Excel template?
I bought a template to make a calendar, the template is wonderful but doesn't fill a full 8.5X11 sheet of paper, I've tried adjusting the margins, fiddling with the print at %, and everything else I can think of. Is there anyway to enlarge the calendar without resizing every cell? ...

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Need help in data copying.

help...help...help

Excel Needs to Close
Frequently, when turning on my computer, I will get the message something like "Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close." I may not have used Excel for days and it definitely was not open when the computer was turned off. Any clues? Do I have a problem? Ed, Look for an Excel file, or Excel itself, in your Startup folder (Start - All programs). Scan for viruses. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com Note: Top-posting has been the norm here. Some folks prefer bottom-posting. But if you bottom-post to a reply that's already top-posted, the thr...

Excel charts and Word docs
In Office 2003, how do I import an excel table into a word doc? In Ms Word go to Insert - Object - Create from File and select the xls file that contains your table. "Frustrated" wrote: > In Office 2003, how do I import an excel table into a word doc? Copy the range in Excel, switch to Word, and paste. Word puts the Excel data into a Word table. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Frustrated" <Frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90F...

Macro Help

help me #2

Excel #67
Where in Microsoft can I download and Excel update called SR1 or SR2. I need this for a QuickBooks Payroll link. What version of Excel do you have? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5c011c70-47d0-4306-9fa4-8e92d36332fe&displaylang=en or http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=85af7bfd-6f69-4289-8bd1-eb966bcdfb5e&displaylang=en the former 2000, the latter 2002 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup/forum) "KJ" <blueeyes1484@hotmail.com> wrote...

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

CString help

Your Help is Appreciated

Merging in excel
I'm using excel to create a control card that I will duplicate on the worksheet 54 times. I want to enter a team name on each of the 54 cards. Is there a way to automate this if I have the 54 names in an adjoining sheet (like a word Mail merge)? regards Mike Coleman Hi But why don't you use Word's Mail Merge - with your Excel table as data source? A hint - place the sheet with source table as first in workbook. -- Arvi Laanemets (When sending e-mail, use address arvil@tarkon.ee) "Mike Coleman" <mchammer@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:1a6dc01c42349$030...