Help needed to understand Vlookup Formula

hi,

I've just taken over someones job and I have a problem with a couple of
Excel 2000 spreadsheets. One of the spreadsheets picks up some data from
another one using a vlookup formula. The formula is below but could someone
please tell me what it is actually looking for by breaking down the
parameters:

=VLOOKUP(V11,'C:\Deliveries\[Buy Del.xls]Buy Delivery
Schedule'!$U$6:$AC$552,9,FALSE)

When this spreadsheet is opened and the vaules updated from the other
spreadsheet it is linked to I also get an "out of memory error". Both
spreadsheets are quite small and my PC is P4 512MB RAM. I was wondering if
this vlookup is causing the problem.

many thanks.

0
stevejfoy (4)

The VLOOKUP takes whatever value you have in V11, and then goes and looks for it in Column U in
the table $U$6:$AC$552 in the file 'C:\Deliveries\[Buy Del.xls]Buy Delivery Schedule'.  Once it
finds it, it will then go to the 9th column in that table (Hence the 9) and return the value in
the same row as the row it found the match for V11.  The FALSE argument means that it must find an
exact match in Column U if it is to return anything, as there are instances when you would just
want the closest match and not an exact match.

Sounds like your machine has more than enough resources to cope with a couple of small
spreadsheets, though it is not just system memory that limits Excel, but I'm not sure why you
would have that error to be honest.   How many links in the file, do you know?  What size files?

--
Regards
                   Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL2K & XLXP

  Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference

"Steve Foy" <stevejfoy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:#OhU8#tVDHA.1512@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> hi,
>
> I've just taken over someones job and I have a problem with a couple of
> Excel 2000 spreadsheets. One of the spreadsheets picks up some data from
> another one using a vlookup formula. The formula is below but could someone
> please tell me what it is actually looking for by breaking down the
> parameters:
>
> =VLOOKUP(V11,'C:\Deliveries\[Buy Del.xls]Buy Delivery
> Schedule'!$U$6:$AC$552,9,FALSE)
>
> When this spreadsheet is opened and the vaules updated from the other
> spreadsheet it is linked to I also get an "out of memory error". Both
> spreadsheets are quite small and my PC is P4 512MB RAM. I was wondering if
> this vlookup is causing the problem.
>
> many thanks.

0
ken.wright (2489)
7/30/2003 9:28:03 PM
hi,

thanks for the reply. The files sizes are 734KB for the one containing the
vlookup and 8MB for the Buy Del.xls file. Looking at the Links in the
vlookup file there is only one - pointing to the Buy Del.xls file, no links
in Buy Del.xls. Should this link be there? or is it put there automatically
when you reference the file using vlookup.
Many thanks for your help.

"Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> The VLOOKUP takes whatever value you have in V11, and then goes and looks
for it in Column U in
> the table $U$6:$AC$552 in the file 'C:\Deliveries\[Buy Del.xls]Buy
Delivery Schedule'.  Once it
> finds it, it will then go to the 9th column in that table (Hence the 9)
and return the value in
> the same row as the row it found the match for V11.  The FALSE argument
means that it must find an
> exact match in Column U if it is to return anything, as there are
instances when you would just
> want the closest match and not an exact match.
>
> Sounds like your machine has more than enough resources to cope with a
couple of small
> spreadsheets, though it is not just system memory that limits Excel, but
I'm not sure why you
> would have that error to be honest.   How many links in the file, do you
know?  What size files?

> --
> Regards
>            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>                    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL2K & XLXP

>   Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference
>

> "Steve Foy" <stevejfoy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > hi,
> >
> > I've just taken over someones job and I have a problem with a couple of
> > Excel 2000 spreadsheets. One of the spreadsheets picks up some data from
> > another one using a vlookup formula. The formula is below but could
someone
> > please tell me what it is actually looking for by breaking down the
> > parameters:
> >
> > =VLOOKUP(V11,'C:\Deliveries\[Buy Del.xls]Buy Delivery
> > Schedule'!$U$6:$AC$552,9,FALSE)
> >
> > When this spreadsheet is opened and the vaules updated from the other
> > spreadsheet it is linked to I also get an "out of memory error". Both
> > spreadsheets are quite small and my PC is P4 512MB RAM. I was wondering
if
> > this vlookup is causing the problem.
> >
> > many thanks.

0
stevejfoy (4)
8/1/2003 11:55:01 AM
There is no link in the Buy Del file, and nor should there be.  The link exists only in the
workbook with the formula in it that contains the link, ie your 743KB file.  Is this problem
peculiar to yourself and your machine, or does it happen to others.  Also what about whoever you
inherited it from, did they have similar problems at all?

--

"Steve" <stevejfoy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:ur5H5RCWDHA.3220@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> hi,
>
> thanks for the reply. The files sizes are 734KB for the one containing the
> vlookup and 8MB for the Buy Del.xls file. Looking at the Links in the
> vlookup file there is only one - pointing to the Buy Del.xls file, no links
> in Buy Del.xls. Should this link be there? or is it put there automatically
> when you reference the file using vlookup.
> Many thanks for your help.
>
> "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > The VLOOKUP takes whatever value you have in V11, and then goes and looks
> for it in Column U in
> > the table $U$6:$AC$552 in the file 'C:\Deliveries\[Buy Del.xls]Buy
> Delivery Schedule'.  Once it
> > finds it, it will then go to the 9th column in that table (Hence the 9)
> and return the value in
> > the same row as the row it found the match for V11.  The FALSE argument
> means that it must find an
> > exact match in Column U if it is to return anything, as there are
> instances when you would just
> > want the closest match and not an exact match.
> >
> > Sounds like your machine has more than enough resources to cope with a
> couple of small
> > spreadsheets, though it is not just system memory that limits Excel, but
> I'm not sure why you
> > would have that error to be honest.   How many links in the file, do you
> know?  What size files?
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >                    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL2K & XLXP

> >   Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference
> >

> > "Steve Foy" <stevejfoy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > I've just taken over someones job and I have a problem with a couple of
> > > Excel 2000 spreadsheets. One of the spreadsheets picks up some data from
> > > another one using a vlookup formula. The formula is below but could
> someone
> > > please tell me what it is actually looking for by breaking down the
> > > parameters:
> > >
> > > =VLOOKUP(V11,'C:\Deliveries\[Buy Del.xls]Buy Delivery
> > > Schedule'!$U$6:$AC$552,9,FALSE)
> > >
> > > When this spreadsheet is opened and the vaules updated from the other
> > > spreadsheet it is linked to I also get an "out of memory error". Both
> > > spreadsheets are quite small and my PC is P4 512MB RAM. I was wondering
> if
> > > this vlookup is causing the problem.
> > >
> > > many thanks.

0
ken.wright (2489)
8/1/2003 12:14:09 PM
hi,

the problem exists even if I copy both Excel files to my PC at home (running
Excel 2003). I had no feed back form the person as they left the company
before I arrived.

> There is no link in the Buy Del file, and nor should there be.  The link
exists only in the
> workbook with the formula in it that contains the link, ie your 743KB
file.  Is this problem
> peculiar to yourself and your machine, or does it happen to others.  Also
what about whoever you
> inherited it from, did they have similar problems at all?
>
> --
> Regards
>            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>                    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL2K & XLXP

>   Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference
>

> "Steve" <stevejfoy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > hi,
> >
> > thanks for the reply. The files sizes are 734KB for the one containing
the
> > vlookup and 8MB for the Buy Del.xls file. Looking at the Links in the
> > vlookup file there is only one - pointing to the Buy Del.xls file, no
links
> > in Buy Del.xls. Should this link be there? or is it put there
automatically
> > when you reference the file using vlookup.
> > Many thanks for your help.
> >
> > "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > > The VLOOKUP takes whatever value you have in V11, and then goes and
looks
> > for it in Column U in
> > > the table $U$6:$AC$552 in the file 'C:\Deliveries\[Buy Del.xls]Buy
> > Delivery Schedule'.  Once it
> > > finds it, it will then go to the 9th column in that table (Hence the
9)
> > and return the value in
> > > the same row as the row it found the match for V11.  The FALSE
argument
> > means that it must find an
> > > exact match in Column U if it is to return anything, as there are
> > instances when you would just
> > > want the closest match and not an exact match.
> > >
> > > Sounds like your machine has more than enough resources to cope with a
> > couple of small
> > > spreadsheets, though it is not just system memory that limits Excel,
but
> > I'm not sure why you
> > > would have that error to be honest.   How many links in the file, do
you
> > know?  What size files?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > >            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
> > >                    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL2K & XLXP

> > --
> > >   Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference

> > --
> > >

> > > "Steve Foy" <stevejfoy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> > someone

Both
> > if

0
stevejfoy (4)
8/4/2003 3:08:32 PM
hi,

I had a further look at the Buy Del spreadsheet and found that if I deleted
from a certain column to the last column the update would work. The Buy Del
spreadsheet consists of Columns A1-IV, rows 1-10086 (Cntl-End - row 624 is
the last actual row with any data).
If I delete columns GP-IV the update link on the other spreadsheet would
complete successfully. If I leave the Buy Del spreadsheet as is or just
delete columns GQ-IV or GS-IV or HA-IV I get the "out of memory" or "Excel
cannot complete this task with available resources".

Another wierd thing is that if I delete these columns I would have thought
the file size would go down but it actually increases to over 18MB in size
(from 8MB). Does anyone know what could be causing these issues?. The
columns I deleted do not contain any formulas just plain data.

> hi,
>
> the problem exists even if I copy both Excel files to my PC at home
(running
> Excel 2003). I had no feed back form the person as they left the company
> before I arrived.
>
> "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > There is no link in the Buy Del file, and nor should there be.  The link
> exists only in the
> > workbook with the formula in it that contains the link, ie your 743KB
> file.  Is this problem
> > peculiar to yourself and your machine, or does it happen to others.
Also
> what about whoever you
> > inherited it from, did they have similar problems at all?
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >                    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL2K & XLXP

> >   Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference

> > "Steve" <stevejfoy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > thanks for the reply. The files sizes are 734KB for the one containing
> the
> > > vlookup and 8MB for the Buy Del.xls file. Looking at the Links in the
> > > vlookup file there is only one - pointing to the Buy Del.xls file, no
> links
> > > in Buy Del.xls. Should this link be there? or is it put there
> automatically
> > > when you reference the file using vlookup.
> > > Many thanks for your help.
> > >
> > > "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> looks
> > > for it in Column U in
> > > Delivery Schedule'.  Once it
> 9)
> > > and return the value in
> argument
> > > means that it must find an
> > > instances when you would just

> > > couple of small
> but
> > > I'm not sure why you
> you
> > > know?  What size files?

> > > --

> > > --

> of
> from
> > > someone

> other
> Both
> wondering
> > > if

0
stevejfoy (4)

hide formula in cells till data is available for calc
I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it until data becomes available to complete the calculation. This way you don't have a series of #value# in the work sheet. The formula contains an absolute reference as well. Thanks, Kiwi A look at your formula would have been nice. =IF(cellref="","",do something) traps for cellref having no data. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:02:01 -0700, kiwi <kiwi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I recall being able to copy a formula in a column and hiding it u...

sumifs help

Help !

Help with this thing

need to add custom entity to email selection list
We have created a custom entity called Employee which has an email address as one of its fields. We would like to be able to select an employee record while creating an email activity. How do I add this entity to the list of entities to choose from in the To field in the email activity? You can't. The list of entities you can email to are set within CRM. One option to get around this is to load employees as Contacts - with a Contact type = Employee. "Jeanenne" wrote: > We have created a custom entity called Employee which has an email address as > one of its fie...

Need function to insert worksheet name into a cell of that worksheet.
I have found a formula on the web help site to automatically insert a worksheet name into a cell of the worksheet. I have several worksheets and wish to identify each worksheet automatically in a cell of each worksheet. When I use the formula it initially brings in the correct worksheet name. However when I select another worksheet the prior name appears in the selected cell. Perhaps I need to change something in my formula or this is a problem that I can't correct. What is your suggestion? The following formula is what I am using in each worksheet. =MID(CELL("fil...

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

exch 5.5 help

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Excel Needs to Close
Frequently, when turning on my computer, I will get the message something like "Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close." I may not have used Excel for days and it definitely was not open when the computer was turned off. Any clues? Do I have a problem? Ed, Look for an Excel file, or Excel itself, in your Startup folder (Start - All programs). Scan for viruses. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com Note: Top-posting has been the norm here. Some folks prefer bottom-posting. But if you bottom-post to a reply that's already top-posted, the thr...

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2

CString help

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

Rules Wizard Help

More help with formula
I need 2 formulas for the following: Problem 1: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th numbers is those columns are 50 or less then I the sum to go in on column; then the sum of numbers between 51 to 100 to go into anothe column. Problem 2: Columns "c" thru "g" contain numbers from 1 thru 100. If th individual number 1-100 is used (3 times, 4 times, 5 times, etc.) tota the I need to show the number of times it was used in the columns. For example: If 1 is used 5 times in columns C thru G then the numbe is 5; the same with 2, th...

help help help IF function
i am new to excell and need help with a problem...... the problem is iam looking for a amount < = 3000.00 and iam to display in bold and in light green i have never had to deal with that i got as far as =IF<=3000 then iam lost or it that even right?? I'm far from a whiz at Excel but I'd use conditional formatting. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "kimmy" <kimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADC77884-FC87-47A3-90F2-D2AAF957F5D1@microsoft.com... >i a...

IF OR help
I have entered the formula =IF(OR(D5="K",D5<=4,M32<=95),"INELIGIBLE"," ") I am trying to get a result that will display INELIGIBLE when the value in D5 is K,1,2,3,4 OR the value in M32 is less than 96. with this formula I now get INELIGIBLE when D5 is blank. I would like cell to be blank unless one of the specific conditions is met. If either D5 or M32 is blank, I would like this cell to also be blank M32 contains a formula that returns a blank cell unless data is entered elsewhere in the workbook Thanks for all the help -- dbconn...