Heirarchical lists

Is it possible in Excel, either through Combo Boxes in VB or the Dat
Validation method to do a hierarchical list selection (List tree)? Fo
instance, if I have a cell, and when I click on it, the user can selec
one of several colors, and then when a selection is highlited (o
clicked) it brings up another list next to the original list of foo
items, and then depending on that selection, another list of eatin
utencils (this is a silly example, but I think it communicates m
question). Further, no matter what option is selected from the firs
two lists, it brings up the same list for the next selection.
ex:
blue
red
purple
yellow->waffles
green     tacos->fork
fish       spoon<-
steak    knife
then, it would enter into cells A1-3, respectively, yellow, waffles
and spoon.
Any help is appreciated

--
chris_mannin
chris_manning's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2398

See Debra Dalgleish's site on dependent validation lists:

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

"chris_manning" wrote:

> Is it possible in Excel, either through Combo Boxes in VB or the Data
> Validation method to do a hierarchical list selection (List tree)? For
> instance, if I have a cell, and when I click on it, the user can select
> one of several colors, and then when a selection is highlited (or
> clicked) it brings up another list next to the original list of food
> items, and then depending on that selection, another list of eating
> utencils (this is a silly example, but I think it communicates my
> question). Further, no matter what option is selected from the first
> two lists, it brings up the same list for the next selection.
> ex:
> blue
> red
> purple
> yellow->waffles
> green     tacos->fork
> fish       spoon<-
> steak    knife
> then, it would enter into cells A1-3, respectively, yellow, waffles,
> and spoon.
> Any help is appreciated.
>

> --
> chris_manning
> chris_manning's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23986
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376944

0
jasonjmorin (551)
6/7/2005 1:10:01 AM
Debra Dalgleish shows how to do this with Data|Validation at:

chris_manning wrote:

> Is it possible in Excel, either through Combo Boxes in VB or the Data
> Validation method to do a hierarchical list selection (List tree)? For
> instance, if I have a cell, and when I click on it, the user can select
> one of several colors, and then when a selection is highlited (or
> clicked) it brings up another list next to the original list of food
> items, and then depending on that selection, another list of eating
> utencils (this is a silly example, but I think it communicates my
> question). Further, no matter what option is selected from the first
> two lists, it brings up the same list for the next selection.
> ex:
> blue
> red
> purple
> yellow->waffles
> green     tacos->fork
> fish       spoon<-
> steak    knife
> then, it would enter into cells A1-3, respectively, yellow, waffles,
> and spoon.
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> --
> chris_manning
> chris_manning's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23986
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376944

--

Dave Peterson
0

Word 2007
Hello, It would help to get the final word on this from Microsoft, but in Word 2007. Is there anyway to control the indent on automatic numbered lists? I would prefer for all automatic numbered lists to be flush to the left side like a normal paragraph. Thanks so much for any response! The only way to control this is to apply a style with the desired settings. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "ITNoob101" <ITNoob101@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0892C274-0993-46BE-9A...

List Paragraph Style needs a List Style?
In creating a list paragraph style ...... well with John McGhie creating a list paragraph style and I'm following his directions in his post... I created a list style. (Is "list paragraph style" the correct terminology?) John's summary of his directions is quoted at the bottom of this post. So now I'm curious, why doesn't my list paragraph style definition indicate that it is using that list style that I/we created? I assume I must have a list style for each list paragraph style and if I deleted that list style there would be problems? Thanks. ...

How to make a chart from a list of names?
If I only hava a long list of names e.g like this; Andy Andy Carol Carol Carol Robert Robert Robert Robert and so on I want to make a chart that shows both the names and how many times the name are occuring in the list. How can I do this with just a long list of names in Excel? Thanks /Chris Chris - You could make a pivot table from the list of names, putting the Name field into the Row area and also into the Data area. This will provide a list with each name occurring once and next to it a count of occurrences. You could also use the FREQUENCY() worksheet function to achieve a li...

Error Sending With Distribution Lists
With some of my distribution lists, I get a dialog "An Unexpected Error Has Occurred" when trying to send. If I enter the individual addresses from the appropriate address book, it sends fine. ...

custom lists #5
In tools/options/custom lists, I have created a new list which I want to apply to a column. The problem is I have forgotten how this is done. Help was not much use. Thanks You enter the first item in a cell and then drag the fill handle down or across. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Pat" <glass_patrick@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cho081$5r9$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk... > In tools/options/custom lists, I have created a new list which I want to > apply to a column. The problem is I have forgotten how this is done. Help > was not much use. > Thanks > > ...

alphabetize list
How do you sort/alphabetize a list in publisher 2002? Thanks Suzanne Hi sbrimley (sbrimley@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || How do you sort/alphabetize a list in publisher 2002? || Thanks Suzanne You need to bring it in to Excel and sort, then put back in Publisher. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. How weird I would have thought that would have been a standard function. Thanks for you help, I will stopping searching f...

Create a group from recipient list
If you have an email that contains many recipients in To: is there any shortcut to put all these people in a group without having to add them one-by-one to your address book and then assemble the group? Roger Roger, No shortcut. However, please respect the recipient's privacy and place multiple people in the Bcc: "Roger" <x@y> wrote in message news:eyx9YmzjGHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > If you have an email that contains many recipients in To: is there any > shortcut to put all these people in a group without having to add them > one-by-one to your a...

Task list
It would be nice if the To-Do List / Task List was automatically sorted by Priority by default. Currently, I have two tasks, one as Normal and another one as High Priority, however, the top priority task is not being moved to the top automatically, as I would intuitively expect. However, I can drag it to the top of the To-Do List. Cosmetic / UX (User Experience) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If...

Junk senders list #4
Is there a way to add an entire domain to the "Junk Senders list"? I know I can add a particular sender but an option to rule out an entire domain would be awesome. THanks It is a frequent request that Microsoft has been made aware of and, IIRC, they are considering. It may not make it into this version via a Service Release or Pack but it's being considered for Outlook 12. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted w...

Drop Down List #5
Hello, I'm having some trouble regarding 'same entries' selection... I.E. I have the following data List of Hospitals Machine Used Machine Readings Hospital A Roche Analyzer 12.65 Hospital B Abbot Analyzer 25.9 Hospital C Vitros Analyzer 1.45 Hospital A Dimension Analyzer 3.6 I've structured a Report Form that contains a drop-down list fo selecting the hospital, then upon selection (let's say Hospital B), th machine used and the m...

Drop down lists from multiple source lists
I created a product price list with different headings within columns in workbook1 sheet1. (The reason for this was because I wanted to be able to easily print the price list without having a rediculous amount of pages.) So, for example, the data under one heading may be in column A and go to the end of the page and then start back up againin column D at the top of the page. I want to create a dropdown list using data validation in workbook2 sheet1 using data from two or more lists in workbook1 sheet1. I keep getting the error: "The source list must be a delimited list, or...

Distribution Lists #22
I'm using created a distribution list with 200+ contacts My ISP limits the number of recipients to 99 per message, so now I have to split this distribution list (and many others) to work around this. (Word mail merge means that I have to show every employee how to do it, so this is not a quick solution) �How can I move contacts from one distribution list to a new one? ...

Selective Editing of Nickname list
Anyone know if there's anyway to selectively purge or add to the *.nk2 file that is built by outlook to autocomplete e-mail addresses? I know how to start from scratch but it sure would be nice to edit the list. Thanks John K To remove a single entry, * start a new message * type the partial name you want removed * when outlook suggests a name, use the arrow keys to highlight the entry and press the delete key /neo ps - steps above are for outlook 2002/2003. "John K" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1e11201c45554$28f11ac0$a601280a@phx.gb...

Heirarchical lists
Is it possible in Excel, either through Combo Boxes in VB or the Dat Validation method to do a hierarchical list selection (List tree)? Fo instance, if I have a cell, and when I click on it, the user can selec one of several colors, and then when a selection is highlited (o clicked) it brings up another list next to the original list of foo items, and then depending on that selection, another list of eatin utencils (this is a silly example, but I think it communicates m question). Further, no matter what option is selected from the firs two lists, it brings up the same list for the next selec...

compare data in two lists to find matching entries #2
I have a spreadsheet with two colums. Each colum contains an identification reference e.g. Colum A Colum B abc123456 nmg4568987 ahsj45236 abc123456 ikl7856489 jkh7854566589 I want excel to check if the items in colums b are also in colum a and insert either "Match found" or "No match found" in colum c. For example abc123456 nmg4568987 No match found ahsj45236 abc123456 Match found ikl7856489 jkh7854566589 No match found Please help. I've tried everything I could think of. Nothing seems to work. Hi! Put this in C1 (assuming your li...

If then with a list
I'm trying to determine if a date in Sheet1 is in a list of dates in Sheet2 (returning a simple, "YES" or "NO"). Example: Sheet1: A1 contains the following date: 09/01/05 B1 should contain the "YES" or "NO" Sheet2: Column A contains a list of dates, such as the following: 01/01/05 02/14/05 09/01/05 12/25/05 12/31/05 What is the best way to return a "YES" or "NO"? I have tried unsuccessfully to do this with an if/then, but I'm thinking there must be a better way. Thanks, Jim Hi Try =IF(Sheet2!A1=A1,"YES",...

FE-BE Server Distribution Lists
Hello, I have a front end 2003 exchange server and a back end 2003 exchange server. I have an SMTP virtual server accepting in mail, and the SMTP connector configured with the FE VS as the bridgehead. My problem is when people send to global distribution lists from outside of the organisation they sit in the FE SMTP Mailbox and cause a x.400 message loop.. I have managed to research this problem to discover if I go in and manually set the distribution group expansion server to the BE, then people sending to the distribution group works fine, otherwise doesnt work. As mentioned this is a p...

Mfg order Pick list
We track lot numbers and are multi bin on all our components. After we use the component transaction entry window to select all the lot numbers, we would like to print a report, listing the component, bin, lot number, qty, to use for the act of actually physically picking the components. I cant find a report in Dynamcis that prints this information, or the tables necessary to create our own crystal report. Can anyone help? -- Doug Doug, Picklist data is being hosted in "MOP1020", you may need to check the view below: SELECT ITEMNMBR, SERLTNUM, FROM_SITE_I, TO_SITE_I, BI...

10 ten list
Hi everyone, I have a file that has customers names in column A - 6,000 + lines of customer names for all sites across the country. Column heading going across are branch names and the numbers inserted in each cross cell (ie customer name and branch name) reflect number of units sold for that customer at a particular branch. I now need to filter the data so that the top 10 customers (by units sold) show up for each site. My problem is that when I filter column B for top 10, filter hides all other customer names. Is there a way to do a top 10 filter across adjacent columns where the filter is...

dragging a list of numbers/repeat vs. iteration
I am trying to change the way my Excel behaives (or mis-behaives) when I drag a range filled with numbers. Currently, it repeats the number sequence, but I want it to continue with the next number a keep going up. In other words, if I fill a range (A1,A2,A3) with the values 1,2,3 and I highlight and drag the curor down to A4, it will fill that cell with 1, and A5 will become 2, but I want them to become 4, and 5 respectively. I'm sure this is a simple problem that has a simple solution, but I have checked the Tools -> Options menu and I can't seem to find the right setting to ma...

Task list in To Do List in the Calendar view
Is there any way of just seeing the task list in the to do list when in the Calendar rather than all the flagged emails as well - just like it used to be in 2003? Thx. ...

Contacts List?
Hello, I have five contact lists in Outlook 2003 but only four show up when I choose "Contacts". If I create a new message and choose the "To" button I can select the address book drop down and see all five. It's as if one of the contact lists (the most improtant one) is hidden in the contacts area. How can I bring it back? Thanks, Dan Ensure it is marked as an address book - right click on the folder, select properties and on the Address book tab, ensure the box is checked. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discus...

LDAP address list
I recently pointed a mail client to my LDAP server to obtain a global address, what appeared was every user that had been set up in the domain. I checked to verify that the ”hide from address list” was check on those address that I knew should not be on the list and the box was checked. Some of these names are of accounts that have been disabled. How can I control who and what shows up in the LDAP address list? What type of client? James Chong VIDRO wrote: > I recently pointed a mail client to my LDAP server to obtain a global > address, what appeared was every user that had been...

Compare my list to an existing list
I have a list of names approximately 250 rows long in column A. For the most part, they are in the format of [last_name, first_name + middle_initial]... all in one cell. I can modify that, if necessary. Perhaps with a text to columns function. I downloaded a database from the tax department containing rows of data of parcel owners. The owners names are contained in the following fashion: their last names are in column A, their first and middle initials are contained in column B. As I mentioned above, I can get my sheet set up like the first one, or the database set up like my ...

Creating A Breakout List from a Summary List
I have a summary list that is the first input on a page that I need to then list out in individual rows. For example: Turn this.. Description Total Price per Unit Unit 1 3 $3.00 Unit 2 2 $2.50 Unit 3 2 $1.25 Into this.... Description Price Unit 1 $3.00 Unit 1 $3.00 Unit 1 $3.00 Unit 2 $2.50 Unit 2 $2.50 Unit 3 $1.25 ...