Having trouble with extra rows at the bottom of the doc

How do I delete the extra rows at the bottom of a doc.

I have inherited a document that has 60 rows of data and 3682 rows of empty cells that have the boarder set.
When I select and delete them, new ones reappear. I have turned the cell boards off and it still creates empty
cells with the boarder.

Is there any way to delete these rows?

-ken

Ken,

Are you selecting and then deleting and then saving?

HTH,
Andy

0
andy.j.brown (443)
11/6/2003 6:39:38 PM
Ken

Excel has a habit of retaining "used" cells way beyond where you are currently
working.

On a worksheet hit CRTL + END to see where you wind up.

If far below and to the right of your real used range then select the row
below where your real used range is and SHIFT + END + DownArrow.  This selects
all rows to the bottom of the sheet.  Edit>Delete>Entire Row.

Do the same for columns to the right of your range.

Repeat on all sheets.

Important step now.........SAVE the workbook.  In some cases it may be prudent
to also CLOSE after Saving then re-open.

There are other ways to reset the used range.  Debra Dalgleish has some code
at her website.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/tiptech.html

Gord Dibben   XL2002

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:21:16 -0800, "Ken Carpenter"
<kencarpenter@soleocommunications.com> wrote:

>How do I delete the extra rows at the bottom of a doc.
>
>I have inherited a document that has 60 rows of data and 3682 rows of empty cells that have the boarder set.
>When I select and delete them, new ones reappear. I have turned the cell boards off and it still creates empty
>cells with the boarder.
>
>Is there any way to delete these rows?
>
>-ken

0
Gord

Printing a workbook one row at a time filling in a form with the d
Hello I have a workbook with about 20,000 rows of data. I want to design a form and have the information from one row inserted into the form and be printed out. The form would also have empty places for the sales people to write additional information on the paper after they make the sales call. The information is name, phone number, address and several other customer related information cells. I am using Excell 2000. IF possible I would like to print these 2 up on a standard piece of paper 8.5 by 11 inches. This means I would print two forms on one page with a seperate record/row fi...

Trouble with the template.
I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times New Roman" 10point font, and the pages numbered centre top. This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from the Administrator Template vis: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from the desktop. I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and copied in the "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates...

How do I format currency field in Excel 2000 w/o 2 extra zeroes?
-- May the Good Lord be with You and His Guiding Light be strong... Format Cells -> Currency -> select decimal places 0?? "slmm" <slmm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:906615CE-244B-4828-9CC8-8050EAF0F8B4@microsoft.com... > > -- > May the Good Lord be with You and His Guiding Light be strong... Thanks Barb. I tried that but then I only have the dollar amount and no decimals and no cents. -- May the Good Lord be with You and His Guiding Light be strong... "Barb Reinhardt" wrote: > Format Cells -> Currency -> select...

hide row based on cell value
i have a worksheet that i want to hide rows based on cell value. if cell B3 is blank, then i need rows 4,5 and 6 to be hidden, B3 contains data than row 4 is visible. if cell H3 is blank, then rows 5 and 6 need to be hidden. if b3 and h3 have data, then rows 4 and 5 are visible. if cell n3 is blank then row 6 is hidden. i have the following so far: Private Sub Worksheet_change(ByVal Target As Range) Application.EnableEvents = False If Target.Address(0, 0) = "P28" Then Select Case LCase(Target.Value) Case "target": MainMenu 'this ...

Insert row if condition met
I need to insert a row after totaling several rows above it. The number of rows vary, there are several spreadsheets and I update these spreadsheets a couple of times a month. Is there way with a macro to do this and like to bold my total line as well. Inserting additional rows into your data is usually a bad thing. How about an alternative. You used Data|subtotal, right? click on the outlining symbols to the left to just show the rows you want to be "double spaced" Then select your rows in that range Edit|goto|special click visible cells only Adjust the rowheight for those...

Row hieght formula
I was wondering if there is a formula for row height. I have a lon list, and I want each row that returns a 0 to collapse automatically. Anyone know how to do that -- funktasti ----------------------------------------------------------------------- funktastic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1600 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27473 You should hide them. I'm not too keen on Visual Basic, but that's where you'd need to go to automate it. If you'd like to do it manually you can filter the cel...

Grouping Rows
I need to group a bunch of rows but I am having some problems. The code lines below works great: Rows("5:8").Select Selection.Rows.Group but I need to group these rows 12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30. I tried Rows("12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30").Select Selection.Rows.Group but I get and Overflow error message. When I tried Me.Rows("12:12,14:14,16:16,18:18,20:20,22:22,24:24,26:26,28:28,30:30").Select Selection.Rows.Group I get a Type mismatch error message. What am I doing wrong? HI The 'Rows' object obviously do not ac...

Row amd column heading
I have received one excel file in which rows number (1,2...) and column name (A,B,...) are in some big font 18, or maybe more. I couldn't find option to make them standard. Thanks in advance, Emilija Hi Emilija, On you toolbar you should have a font box and next to it is the size of the font. Select the row and change the fontsize to 10 for instance. Help, Answer Wizard Change font size From the topics show, select the topic that matches "Change the font or font size" --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http...

Linking Cells in a row.
Hello, I am trying to link several cells in a row, so that when I sort one column, the rest of the row of information stays with the sorted cell. Thank you... Ben Register Hi Ben, All you need to do is highlight all the columns of the information. For example: If your "sort by" column is A and you want all information in columns B-F to stay with it, highlight A-F. Then you can highlight one cell in the group of cells that are highlighted. This shows up as a white cell within the highlighted area. press tab until the white box is in the column you want to sort by. ...

Email trouble with New User in Active Directory
Below is a trail of posts that have been made. My problem has yet to resolved and I need some help quickly. The only other thing I can think of is to reinstall Exchange Server 2003. Hopefully someone will know the answer. Thanks! Subject: Re: Email not Setup when new user created in Active Directory From: "Bryan Hill" <bthill@comcast.net> Sent: 8/15/2004 12:30:21 PM We have other clients that are working fine. Just when we try to set up new ones - it will create the SMTP address but not the X400 address. I tried manually forcing the X400 but it will...

trouble with CrmIsapi.dll
I was experiencing the same problem with the SDK as many have posted to this group ... "the WhoAmI() call results in a http error 405 when running sample code" I followed some of the advice; checked my .srf mapping to CrmIsapi.dll and re-registered the CrmIsapi.dll. when I re-register CrmIsapi.dll I get an error 80004005 - unspecified. ??? I copied it to various places and retried it ... same result. I got the original from the disk and retried ... same result. unmapped it from .srf, restarted and retried to register it ... same result. Anyone experienced this. What's up with m...

Stop Insert Row modifying formula data
I have a worksheet that grabs stock information via web queries. I always writes today�s information at the top of the page and to do thi it I insert a row using VBA and set the cells to the correct values. The problem is that I have a number of other worksheets using the dat from this stock information worksheet via lookups. And the insert ro automatically alters their formulas from something like this: =VLOOKUP(A3,'Historical Funds'!$B$4:$C$3000,2,FALSE) To this =VLOOKUP(A3,'Historical Funds'!$B$5:$C$3001,2,FALSE) Which causes a problem as then all my lookups miss the top...

Trouble with Outlook 2003 and PST File
Hi, We have a user who is using Outlook 2003 and moves most emails to a PST file which is considered archived email data. They have reached the Max limited on this PST file of 1.99GBs and its not letting them open the PST file. It is trying to repair it when they try to open the PST file. Here is the message they receive: "Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them." I can't even get it open to delete...

unexpected conversion trouble

Calculating text as values in a row
I am stumped and wondered if anyone could asisst, I have looked through the newsgroup but found nothing similar to me problem. I want to obtain the total number from a text input, in a row (up to 31 cells wide) the following could be entered, FD, AM or PM. These have different values, FD=1, AM=0.5, PM=0.5. If one or more of the above are entered in any of the seperate 31 cells I want a total number. For example, if FD and AM were entered I would expect a total of 1.5. If there were 6 FD's and 2 PM's, I would expect a total of 7. The closest I have got is =SUMPRODUCT(...

I am in trouble
Hi, I am a student in Cambodia.I don't have any girlfriend. I tried everything. I looked at them wrote poem to them it doesnt work. I got an account from facebook, hi5 friendster myspace. I have 0 girl friend. What should I do? I am so desperate. I am good looking and 250 kg only. Please help me or at least send me some foood I am hungry Best Regards Hungry Guy __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4944 (20100314) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com You're tr...

Trouble with Pivot Tables & Named Ranges
Can I use a dynamic named range setup in one file as a range in pivot tables in another file? When I have the data source file (with the named range) and the pivot report files open, the pivot reports update just fine. But the moment I close the source data, the pivot reports no longer can update and I get a message that the source can't be found. If I reopen the source, the pivot tables work fine again - but as soon as I close it up, the reports no longer work. The source file is very large and I don't want to open it every time I have to update all the reports tha...

How to add a disclaimer at the bottom of all outgoing messages
I would like to add a standard text at the bottom of every message sent to external address. I have both Exchange 2000 and 2003. I do not want to use the signature feature in Outlook, but prefer to do it at the exchange level which will apply to all users. Hi You have two options here, you can either Follow MS article q317608 to create an SMTP Transport Event Sync, see here: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;317680 Second option: purchase a product such as GFI MailEssentials Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2k Pro&Svr, Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "...

Trouble with "time" in formulas
I have a time sheet that looks something like this: A1=time...A2=time...A3=A2-A1+if(A1/24,1)...A4=if(or(A3<time(0,15,0),A3>time(4,0,0)),A3,time(4,0,0)) A1 and A2 are set up as dropdown lists and the times in the list are i increments of 15 minutes. WHat I'm trying to accomplish is (in cell A4 if A3 is between 15 minutes and 4 hours, then return 4 hours. if A3 i 0 or greater than 4 hours, return A3. If I enter enter times in A1 around 00:00 and A2 a little after 00:0 it works fine... example: A1=22:00...A2=01:00...A3=03:00...A4=04:00 A1=20:30...A2=00:15...A3=03:45...A4=04:00 A1=00...

trouble
I have been using my MS Publisher 2000 for over 3 years. Just recently I attempted to access the Publisher program and got the following message: "This application must be installed to run. Please run setup fom the location where you originally installed the application." I have done everything I know to fix this including uninstalling and reinstalling the program. I don't understand what happened overnight nor do I understand the instruction "run from the location you originally installed the program". I can not access the numerous publicaions that I have cr...

How can we delete rows permanently from excel sheet
In my excel sheet i have total 4363 rows. From this i am generating comma delimited text file through macros. I want information of only first 2000 rows and rest rows are empty. This empty rows are generating unecessary commas in txt files and i have to always delete this. I tried to delete rows 2001 and onwards but i am not able to delete. I can add a row but cannot delete this permanently. Is there any way to do this? Thanks Nehal Shah You can't delete the rows only the values in it But you can hide them Range("A2001:A" & Rows.Count).EntireRow.Delete Range("A2001:...

Trouble sorting a table???
Using Excel 2002) I am relatively new to Excel and can only really perform simple functions in a basic spreadsheet. The spreadsheet I'm having trouble with is pretty basic, but I'm having trouble sorting some of the results from a table. (I'll try and explain as best as I can) I have 10 people that I'm tracking 5 different things for (dates, debts, credits, items, number of transactions, and their balance as calculated in this table by simple SUM functions) I then have another table with these same 10 people with their total balance. This is the table I'm having t...

Having trouble
I have a set of numbers, a-e. A usually equals e but can be less. B remains constant. C is the sum of A and B. C cannot exceed D. D remains constant I have tried the following formula in the box for A, but C ends up being less than D when I want it to equal D =IF(C>D,E-(C-D)) What am I doing wrong? Uhh, I'm a little slow, but; If you are putting this formula in A and it's the same "A" that is part of the "C=Sum A & B" then I think you have a circular reference. In other words, you're asking xl to resolve "A" by asking "If C> D&quo...

row spacing in custom drawn CListCtrl
I have noticed that row spacing in a custom drawn (not owner drawn) CListCtrl when run on Vista or Server 2008 is about 20% larger than on XP. Is there a way to reduce this spacing? Thanks in advance, Julijan Probably not easily; Vista uses a different font than XP, so you are probably seeing artifacts of the different font size (assuming that the Vista machine is running in an absoutely identical configuration to the XP machine, same size screen, same resolution, same default font name, etc.; if not, then there is no reason to expect they will be "the same", ever, anyway). ...

Sorting data held across different rows but in same column
Hi I have some data that contains the results of an online user survey The survey consisted of a series of multiple choice questions. Th answers were logged in a database and have been given to me as an Exce sheet. The data is as follows Col 1: User ID Col 2: Responses So some sample data would look like this: 131 Yes 131 Maybe 131 No 131 Yes 132 No 132 Yes 132 Maybe 132 133 Yes 133 No..... ..where each row contains the respondants answers to each question (i.e. row 1 = user 131's answer to q1, row 2 = 131's answer to q 2, ro 5 = user 1...